Hitting mats at home for reps?

Anyone’s juniors use a hitting mat & net at home (inside or outside) to get more reps?

As we all know, time is at a premium. More homework, house chores, etc. Coupled with the DST it gets dark at 5:00 and we just cant make it to the course & range enough (We don’t live at course). I am Considering getting a hitting mat and net for the house this winter so he can at least hit a few dozen balls every day if he wants. I know that you can’t full effect of ball flight and all that , but better than nothing and thinking that just keeping the reps up should help keep up feel, endurance , speed, and strength.

Anyone have experience with this?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone’s juniors use a hitting mat & net at home (inside or outside) to get more reps?

As we all know, time is at a premium. More homework, house chores, etc. Coupled with the DST it gets dark at 5:00 and we just cant make it to the course & range enough (We don’t live at course). I am Considering getting a hitting mat and net for the house this winter so he can at least hit a few dozen balls every day if he wants. I know that you can’t full effect of ball flight and all that , but better than nothing and thinking that just keeping the reps up should help keep up feel, endurance , speed, and strength.

Anyone have experience with this?

Have had The Net Return and Country Club Elite Mat in the garage for rainy days. Better than nothing.

Take the time off instead. The break from golf can be a good thing and this time of year is as good as any. If you want to do golf stuff go hit the gym and work out.

My kids practice a lot so much so we moved to a golf course to save time and allow them to get out on the course more often. When I say a lot I mean almost every day for hours on end after school. This time of year we are lucky to get only 1-2 hours in a night. With other stuff going on we simply can not do it every day either.

It good though for them because it means we can actually do other stuff now in the evenings because it is dark.

Take the time off instead. The break from golf can be a good thing and this time of year is as good as any. If you want to do golf stuff go hit the gym and work out.

My kids practice a lot so much so we moved to a golf course to save time and allow them to get out on the course more often. When I say a lot I mean almost every day for hours on end after school. This time of year we are lucky to get only 1-2 hours in a night. With other stuff going on we simply can not do it every day either.

It good though for them because it means we can actually do other stuff now in the evenings because it is dark.

100% Agree on taking breaks, but that wasnt my question. He hasn’t played or practiced except maybe 2x since worlds Pinehurst 1st week of August. Have taken a break last 3.5 months to get a good jump on school , play football , take his mind (and mine) off of the game, etc. we’ve taken a few month break each of last three years and he has come back fresh and hungry (albeit a little,,,ugh, very rusty) but now he is itching to get at it again, which is great , and I’me trying to figure ways to feed the fire!

100% Agree on taking breaks, but that wasnt my question. He hasn't played or practiced except maybe 2x since worlds Pinehurst 1st week of August. Have taken a break last 3.5 months to get a good jump on school , play football , take his mind (and mine) off of the game, etc. we've taken a few month break each of last three years and he has come back fresh and hungry (albeit a little,,,ugh, very rusty) but now he is itching to get at it again, which is great , and I'me trying to figure ways to feed the fire!

I don't believe matts really help that much. I also think they will eventually cause more problems in the long run especially if you not seeing ball flight. Have you check the local driving ranges? Some them probably have heated bays and lighting too.

Your other option is take a trip south in the winter to play a little golf. Probably not an option but always good if you can.

We have one. Got it for me, but I do some work with my daughter as well. If you are going to use it regularly, I would highly encourage a high-quality mat such as the country club elite mentioned above. Pretty much any range-level mat should be good. Too thin of a base, and you will stress joints too much, especially with kids. You’re generally not going to find these at your local golf store.

We’re in SC, so temp or weather isn’t prohibitive. Our closest range has lights so that remains an option, just looking for something a little more convenient and comfortable I guess, haha. Even with lights at the range, for whatever reason it’s harder to go as much as we do spring - fall. I know mat & net are not ideal to dial everything in, but thinking better than nothing if just to keep strength and speed going. Still will get to course most weekends at minimum.

We have a Mat and net in our back yard a use it once or twice a week since the Days shorter. I think it helps a lot but you need to be working on specific things imo, the net is not designed to beat balls. I would suggest putting a target on the net back to get them to focus on target and you can see the initial line of the shot. We use towels of headcovers a few inches behind the ball the help with contact since mats to mask the fat shots. I think if you focus your practice on work on those having one is worth it. We all don’t live on a GC or can just drive to range.

We have a Mat and net in our back yard a use it once or twice a week since the Days shorter. I think it helps a lot but you need to be working on specific things imo, the net is not designed to beat balls. I would suggest putting a target on the net back to get them to focus on target and you can see the initial line of the shot. We use towels of headcovers a few inches behind the ball the help with contact since mats to mask the fat shots. I think if you focus your practice on work on those having one is worth it. We all don’t live on a GC or can just drive to range.

Thank you for this useful response. Good stuff.

Just like real range time, we would focus on a specific thing for sure.

A lot of people have very negative things about mats into nets. Its not real golf and you cant see ball flight, but I'm not judging ball flight at the range due to the type of balls they use. Its great for working on path and contact. Now if you go cheap and get a crappy as mat then I wouldn't suggest it. But some you can even put into it. For us it helps just to hit a few balls while keeping the rust off.

Just like nets we have a putting green that we use for specific things. I think its how you use it, just don't beat balls with it practice with a purpose.

A lot of people have very negative things about mats into nets. Its not real golf and you cant see ball flight, but I'm not judging ball flight at the range due to the type of balls they use. Its great for working on path and contact. Now if you go cheap and get a crappy as mat then I wouldn't suggest it. But some you can even put into it. For us it helps just to hit a few balls while keeping the rust off.

Just like nets we have a putting green that we use for specific things. I think its how you use it, just don't beat balls with it practice with a purpose.

The issue I see with mats is it hides errors. With a mat you can hit it fat and the ball will fly strait. Go out on the course and you chunk it all day. Without seeing the ball flight it hard to see if your offline with your shots. A great shot into the net could 30 yards away from the pin and you would never know it.

I also have a big distrust with simulators. You have to make sure their setup exactly or they will be off. Most of the cheaper simulators are toys and worse then what you see in the golf store. In golf stores it looks I can every driver 300 yards and strait an arrow which is certainly not the case. The really good simulators are 20k so hard to just have one laying around.

If your not on a course or near a range you can still use a headless driver shaft or orange whip to work on things your trying to practice like maybe a change in grip or even trying to fix over the top which is common. Just make sure you head out to the range after you think you got it down.

The issue I see with mats is it hides errors. With a mat you can hit it fat and the ball will fly strait. Go out on the course and you chunk it all day. Without seeing the ball flight it hard to see if your offline with your shots. A great shot into the net could 30 yards away from the pin and you would never know it.

I also have a big distrust with simulators. You have to make sure their setup exactly or they will be off. Most of the cheaper simulators are toys and worse then what you see in the golf store. In golf stores it looks I can every driver 300 yards and strait an arrow which is certainly not the case. The really good simulators are 20k so hard to just have one laying around.

If your not on a course or near a range you can still use a headless driver shaft or orange whip to work on things your trying to practice like maybe a change in grip or even trying to fix over the top which is common. Just make sure you head out to the range after you think you got it down.

If you can't tell where you're hitting the ball you're probably not very good. I can hear and tell where my daughter struck the ball at. When I hit off the mat I know where I hit it at. Perhaps it just me but if you have no idea where the club is hitting at probably best to find another sport. There are plenty of things you can do to insure contact. Place a towel down being the ball, use a speed strap, an alignment stick. Lots of ways to ensure you are getting proper contact.

You don't trust simulators? There have been countless reviews on the accuracy of these with in a few yards. SC200, Mevo. Most are fairly accurate. Trackman is great but of course its 25K plus nothing will come close to that but for a few hundredth you can get close to that data and be pretty accurate.

If you can't tell where you're hitting the ball you're probably not very good. I can hear and tell where my daughter struck the ball at. When I hit off the mat I know where I hit it at. Perhaps it just me but if you have no idea where the club is hitting at probably best to find another sport. There are plenty of things you can do to insure contact. Place a towel down being the ball, use a speed strap, an alignment stick. Lots of ways to ensure you are getting proper contact.

You don't trust simulators? There have been countless reviews on the accuracy of these with in a few yards. SC200, Mevo. Most are fairly accurate. Trackman is great but of course its 25K plus nothing will come close to that but for a few hundredth you can get close to that data and be pretty accurate.

There is a lot more than just knowing how the club hit the ball and initial flight. For instance did it roll next to the pin or stop on dime because you had extra spin on it? You also can't tell if you getting good low shot or high shot if it hits the net a few feet in front. Also you can't really work the ball and see the flight if you intentionally want to curve the ball.

As for simulators I use the cheap ones on a range sometimes and I see very weird data all the time on them. Sometimes it pickups ball speed instead of club head speed. I seen where it says 130mph for my daughter which is complete BS numbers. Even the Super Speed radar which just registers speed I suspect gives out high numbers picks up 110 MPH for my daughter which seems extreme to me. The reason they do that is there just not that accurate.

There is a lot more than just knowing how the club hit the ball and initial flight. For instance did it roll next to the pin or stop on dime because you had extra spin on it? You also can't tell if you getting good low shot or high shot if it hits the net a few feet in front. Also you can't really work the ball and see the flight if you intentionally want to curve the ball.

As for simulators I use the cheap ones on a range sometimes and I see very weird data all the time on them. Sometimes it pickups ball speed instead of club head speed. I seen where it says 130mph for my daughter which is complete BS numbers. Even the Super Speed radar which just registers speed I suspect gives out high numbers picks up 110 MPH for my daughter which seems extreme to me. The reason they do that is there just not that accurate.

if you are trying to work a ball into a net you're missing the point of what hitting into a net does. You can work on your starting lines with working the ball both ways but working a ball probably isn't something you should do into a net. As the OP stated talking about keeping the rust off, hitting a few to keep his kid golf ability up.

The super speed radar will pick up ball speed if you have it in the wrong position, but they are really accurate as long as you have it set up correctly. But I wouldn't call that a simulator either.

My daughter is 9, she likes to hit balls in the net to work on things like set up, ball position, path, take away, rotation certain things she's working on. I know you can do this in your living room but its nice to hit the ball while working on specific things. Not everything is about hitting balls down a driving range to see how far you are hitting it. It gives her confidence and to me that's more important at this age and she enjoys it, I'm okay with the mat masking a few fat shots. If I notice it will put the towel down to help with the angle of attack. Helps her keep the rust off, or work on small things for a few minutes here and there with our busy schedules of Non-golf stuff.

For us the net has been a HUGE help in getting her to playing, enjoy and competing in Tournaments.

I would HIGHLY recommend it.

if you are trying to work a ball into a net you're missing the point of what hitting into a net does. You can work on your starting lines with working the ball both ways but working a ball probably isn't something you should do into a net. As the OP stated talking about keeping the rust off, hitting a few to keep his kid golf ability up.

The super speed radar will pick up ball speed if you have it in the wrong position, but they are really accurate as long as you have it set up correctly. But I wouldn't call that a simulator either.

The super speed radar is probably a similar radar in quality that you see other cheap launch monitors use the difference is the software and calculations it does that is why I mentioned it. I don't find the Super speed radar very accurate. It works good for a baseline for speed training but would not count on it for a real swing speed. The issue I have is I see speeds that crazy high and it doesn't make sense. With just a driver and not using a ball my daughter can get it going 109-110 mph which is crazy fast but not realistic. If she was able to swing that fast it would put her in the elite category of the LPGA at 11. I know she is fast but I doubt it truly is that fast as the ball should be going father then it is. I would think the actual speed it about 10-12 mph slower then what is says. If other launch monitors use a similar radar that is a big difference in calculations and you will be way off.

Even trackman can give strange numbers the only true way to see distance is to hit on the course with balls you actually use.

I am a big proponent of indoor hitting mats for off-season practice and I disagree vehemently with those stating that they do more harm than good. That is simply untrue unless perhaps the person using the mat is entirely unathletic and imperceptive.

True, mats will allow you to "get away with" fat shots, etc., but I'm not sure what your getting away with since you dont see the flight of the ball anyway and it's not like you're trying to shoot a score. It's not difficult at all to tell if you've hit it fat, thin, or off of the toe or heel. Most decent players can even tell if they've hit it drastically off line as well, and solid strikes are very rewarding. I know if I've hit a draw or a fade no problem.

I bought a NetReturn Pro package when my daughter was about 11, and it, along with a mirror, impact bag, and a few other gadgets has helped both of us improve over the winter months in NJ for years.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

If you're going to the range to evaluate ball spin, you're fooling yourself. I follow the first half of the ball flight. Once it hits the apex, I've seen about all the info I'm going to get out of that shot. I've seen launch angle and ball path. I'll get the distance when it lands, but that info is only relevant to the balls I have hit that day. Wanna know why I can't get any more info from a range session?

1) The ball says Pinnacle- Practice

2) Our range slopes a good 20-40 feet below the level of the bays. Every ball lands soft, no matter the launch

3) The grass I hit from is not cut the same as the fairway.

4) The fake green landing zone is 3 inch Bermuda, not UltraDwarf cut to a Stimp of 10.

And I can absolutely determine the relative launch angle of my irons hitting in my basement into a net, both by feel and visual confirmation. In fact, at 6 feet away, I can flop my 56 to hit the subflooring above the net. Wanna know something else? I don't even hit my gaming set of irons. I'm hitting a 15 year old set that lives only in my basement. But it still helps me work on my swing, and I can carry forward things I have worked out on my mat one evening to the course the very next day.

I am a big proponent of indoor hitting mats for off-season practice and I disagree vehemently with those stating that they do more harm than good. That is simply untrue unless perhaps the person using the mat is entirely unathletic and imperceptive.

True, mats will allow you to "get away with" fat shots, etc., but I'm not sure what your getting away with since you dont see the flight of the ball anyway and it's not like you're trying to shoot a score. It's not difficult at all to tell if you've hit it fat, thin, or off of the toe or heel. Most decent players can even tell if they've hit it drastically off line as well, and solid strikes are very rewarding. I know if I've hit a draw or a fade no problem.

I bought a NetReturn Pro package when my daughter was about 11, and it, along with a mirror, impact bag, and a few other gadgets has helped both of us improve over the winter months in NJ for years.

This guy knows!!

I might be in the minority on this as well, but I dont love the thick spongy-type mats like Country Clup Elite. I put down a foam rubber base similar to what youd use for gym (weight room) flooring and just use the mat that comes with the Netreturn pro.

It's gives you a thin type of lie that really requires you to hit the ball first; you cant sweep it or the club will bounce into the ball and feel horrible. Overly steep strikes feel bad also, so the feedback is helpful. It does wear out over time, but you can rotate it to maximize the lifespan.

Mat & net work definitely helps with developing solid strikes and is a great way to work on mechanics/swing changes specifically because you're not worrying about a target, just good mechanics, tempo, and quality of strike.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I might be in the minority on this as well, but I dont love the thick spongy-type mats like Country Clup Elite. I put down a foam rubber base similar to what youd use for gym (weight room) flooring and just use the mat that comes with the Netreturn pro.

It's gives you a thin type of lie that really requires you to hit the ball first; you cant sweep it or the club will bounce into the ball and feel horrible. Overly steep strikes feel bad also, so the feedback is helpful. It does wear out over time, but you can rotate it to maximize the lifespan.

Mat & net work definitely helps with developing solid strikes and is a great way to work on mechanics/swing changes specifically because you're not worrying about a target, just good mechanics, tempo, and quality of strike.

I made a mat out of anti-fatigue mats and artificial turf from Home Depot. Id love to try hitting off of a country club elite. I have added a skytrak to my mat and net setup in my garage and I absolutely love it. I have had the same experience as you, when I started hitting off of the mat I had a very steep attack angle, I frequently hit fat shots on the course. With the help of the skytrak and the homemade mat I rarely hit fat shots anymore.