2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2018 CME Group Tour Championship Nov 15-18

Argonne69

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those greens look pure as silk. Hmmm, do I have to pay royalties to use that phrase?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Awsi Dooger

Loved your post!

Ariya looked out of sorts,is it weight of expectations or trying too hard not to have highs and lows?

The amount of time that Brooke and sis took over that shot was only ever going to end in tears.

So much discussion only serves to cloud not clarify and the recovery shot was dreadful,hit the chippings first and half-duffed it,maybe a slightly straighter faced club like a 9-iron would have done better.

Super enjoyable to watch,some great scoring and is going to be very interesting to see if the front runners can hold on.

Wow, the top players in the race for the bonus are struggling. Ariya is T18, Minjee is T41, Brooke is T22, Nasa is +3 for the day, and has dropped to T10, and Sung Hyun is T38. I did not expect this.

With the top 5 out of sorts, it opens the door for Sei Young (T18), So Yeon (T7), Marina (T2), Lydia (T10), and Carlota (T10) to grab the bonus.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

They currently have Nasa projected to win the CME points. I thought Ariya was locked in to win?

That's changed. Ariya is now projected #1 with Nasa 3 over for the day.

Any of the top 5 in points can win the bonus with a win. Any in the top 12 can win the bonus depending on how the others finish. Thus, there is no lock on the bonus.

They currently have Nasa projected to win the CME points. I thought Ariya was locked in to win?

That's changed. Ariya is now projected #1 with Nasa 3 over for the day.

Any of the top 5 in points can win the bonus with a win. Any in the top 12 can win the bonus depending on how the others finish. Thus, there is no lock on the bonus.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. It was be an exciting finish for sure.

Yeah, solid rounds by Lexi, Nelly, and Marina. Brittany and Amy are basically treading water, but are still near the top after going way low in the first round. Charley has put herself in a good position to get her 2nd win here in 3 years. 'Still too early to call this one.

Nasa had a rough day, so it appears that Ariya simply has to avoid blow ups to win the bonus.

* Brittany Lincicome was a good sport less than 20 minutes after a disastrous finish like that, smiling and wisecracking while preparing to film a segment of "Caddie Knows Best" with Andy North, alongside the lake at the practice putting green.

* I wanted to watch the end of the Golf Channel taped coverage before commenting here, to see what they aired and what they left out. Always some surprises, like two eagles in the Cristie Kerr group on 17 -- including from Kerr herself -- yet they didn't show either of them but did show the one birdie in the group

* I could have saved Brittany a shot or two on 17. I wanted to shout out to her but I didn't know if it was kosher to give advice from the gallery. It probably wouldn't have gone over well beforehand, even if my advice was exactly correct.

* Brittany's second shot on the par 5 17th went over the green and came to rest 2 feet from where I was standing, while talking to a couple sitting in front of me in lawn chairs. The ball was inches from them. It was a Titleist 2 Pro V 1, nestled between 3 equipment cables and with prominent twigs immediately behind the ball but angled 45 degrees in relation to the hole. It was also perhaps 2 feet from the corner of the grandstand. Our first thought was that Brittany was very fortunate she would receive relief, given those large twigs. As soon as Brittany arrived she started talking to her caddie about chipping or putting. Her original summary was perfect, "No matter what I chose, it's going to be fast as sh*t." Exactly. Laughs from nearby spectators, and exactly. The first 20 feet are fringe and somewhat uphill ,but very low cut and firm. After all, that's where all the players and caddies exit the green toward the next tee. It is trampled and hard.

* During the lengthy delay to get a rules official and take a drop, Brittany somehow added another variable. "The first part is very slow," she said, while pointing it out to her caddie, the uphill area. I'm thinking...what are you talking about? I've been here for an hour today and multiple times already this week. I putt from off the green in Miami all the time so this is very familiar. Nothing about that section is slow. Brittany continued, "It's uphill into the grain so I'm really going to have to hit it."

I was going nuts. No, you don't. Just the opposite. It is so fast you basically have to ignore that it is uphill. The compensation is the other way, like your initial instinct...toward fast as sh*t, not toward slow and into the grain.

I really did want to say something. I was perhaps 10 feet away. I was telling the other spectators quietly that Brittany would bang it well off the green if she insists on believing that early uphill portion is slow.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you saw it. She plastered the ball off the green and ended up taking 4 to get down, a bogey 6 after hitting a mid iron into the par 5.

Such a senseless error and I see it all the time from these LPGA pros from tight lies alongside bermuda greens. Invariably they have no idea what to do. The old 7 or 8 iron low relaxed pitch shot that skips and starts to check isn't even in the discussion anymore. They typically grab a 54 to 60 degree wedge, or putt at last resort. Danielle Kang an hour before Brittany was in the identical location and attempted an absurd full swing flop shot. Not even close. Wide right and short. It did end up on the green but 40 feet from the hole and not on the proper tier. I would love to see an old time pro teach them that simple 8 iron pitch shot, with such low level of dispersion compared to the garbage they are attempting.

* The hand held cameraman who follows the final group for Golf Channel in this event is a world class jerk and deserves to be punched in the face. I've seen it two days in a row. Same guy. When that guy arrived at Brittany's ball on 17 before the drop he started shoving us backward and out of the way, for no reason and without warning. He literally put his hand on the older gentleman I was talking to and bullied him backward. The guy snapped, "Get your hands off of me." An elderly woman correctly said to the cameraman, "You're a pompous *ss." Keep in mind these are older people and the drop off behind the green is sloped, yet he's marching toward us rapidly and in harsh commanding tone insisting we go back 7 or 8 steps, which is ridiculous. The players and caddies aren't asking anything close to that. It was the same thing with Ariya on Thursday at 14 when her second shot stopped in a reedy bush left of the fairway and the identical cameraman did the same thing to the gallery, shoving us backward as if he runs the tournament all by himself.

Normally the walking camera guys in that role are level headed and calm. Friendly and patient. They ask for space but nicely and the correct amount. This is the first pompous *ss I've seen in that position.

* Back to Danielle Kang. She made the day enjoyable long before the Brittany Lincicome episodes to end the day. I decided to follow Danielle, Nelly Korda and Lydia Ko partially because I had never followed Nelly at length, partially because I hadn't followed Lydia since she split with Leadbetter, but mostly because I was bored after yesterday and knew Danielle Kang was a cure for that.

* Yep. Immensely. I can't imagine being caddie for Danielle Kang. It is unlike any other caddie experience. You can never stand by yourself and quietly watch the action. Danielle makes constant demands, whether pumping her up or calming her down or simply listening to her latest rant. They never end. There should be a psychiatry degree required for that role.

It was actually fairly calm until the 9th hole. Danielle was playing well at -2 on the more difficult front nine. Then she missed a 4 foot birdie putt without touching the cup on 9, which is a strenuous hole. I sensed it might carry over to the back nine. Danielle got aggressive on the short 10th and her tee shot found a squirrely lie in a fairway bunker. Lydia playing from well behind in the fairway hits her second shot to one foot. Nelly playing from well behind hits her second shot to two feet.

Danielle is an interesting player to follow partially because she hits plenty of miserable shots, for a player of her caliber. Her bunker shot was miserable, barely off the ground and stopping well short of the long narrow green from perhaps 90 yards away. Her chip was mediocre at best, then she wasn't close on the putt, which she pulled.

This is going to guarantee a reaction. Danielle was so steamed she slammed her putter against her golf bag and then left the green, not turning around to watch as Nelly sank the short birdie. Then Danielle pulled her caddie aside and started ranting to him, face to face. This is just off the cart path behind the 10th green. The caddie and Danielle checked the putter to make sure it wasn't damaged and unplayable. Then it became hilarious. The elderly volunteer held up his arms and prevented everyone from walking to the 11th tee. He sees Danielle and her caddie right there. He doesn't want anyone to pass them, assuming they will walk to the tee, which is 20 yards away to the right. But Danielle has no intention of walking toward the tee box. She is early in the face to face rant with her caddie. Eventually Danielle sees what is going on and tells the spectators to go ahead, even as the volunteer still has his back turned and arms in the air wanting everyone to stay in place.

Danielle remained back there with her caddie 20 yards behind the tee box as Nelly hit and as Lydia hit. It was an ongoing therapy session, all by themselves, as many spectators looked back at the oddity. Then Danielle rushed forward and quickly smacked a drive well past the other two. I kept watching because I sensed it wasn't over. Nope. Danielle whacked her golf bag with the driver in magnificent fashion, much louder than the putter accomplished.

And get this...she birdies the hole with a 15 footer. "That was an angry birdie," said one member of the Korda clan.

* They are high in number, BTW. Kordas from three generations. Nelly and Jessica were only one group apart so it was convenient for them today. Mom generally remained with Nelly while dad was more mobile. Son the tennis player eventually showed up. Two young darker haired guys, probably the boyfriends. An older man who must have been grandpa since he was speaking the same foreign language. Unlike the Wies, who are overwhelmingly speaking in English other than when they briefly want to remain private, the Korda mom and dad are 95% non-English.

* Danielle bogeyed the 12th hole after missing the par 3 to the left off the tee. When she saved par on 13 she quipped to her caddie, "Hey, I made par on the back nine. That's good."

* The next outburst came on the par 4 15th, the same hole that Lincicome 4-putted later in the day. Danielle was deep over the green on her second shot, and stared at her iron in disbelief after the shot, as if her caddie gave her the wrong yardage. It set up a fairly routine downhill pitch shot but once again she grabbed two high lofted wedges and spent a long time choosing between the two of them. No chance. Instead of that gentle low pitch and check Danielle landed it 10 feet too far and it caught a slope to the front of the green, 50 feet from the cup. She lost ground to the hole and didn't lose her turn. Danielle then invented something to be angry about. I was directly behind the cup on her line. Several of us were there. Nothing was going on. But Danielle backed away from the shot and loudly said, "Behind the hole stop walking around." Her caddie was holding the flag and turned around expecting to bark at someone. But he turned to see nobody doing anything.

Danielle bogeyed and as she walked away from the green she gestured in disgust to the area where she hit her third shot: "Am I going to keep getting those f***ing chip shots?"

Nope, the pros don't like this tight bermuda. That's why you hit the 7 or 8 iron and not the 54 or 60. Little clipped divot and a nice low scooting shot. Very easy to control once you get the hang of it. I used to watch Sam Snead do it when he was an old man still playing the tour. Bronte Law had a miserable day today and butchered a chance to salvage a shot when likewise she picked a very high lofted club for that 17th green pitch shot and didn't come close...too far and off the green like Lincicome's putt.

* I have to say I give Danielle Kang credit for her attitude as she finished the round. It was anything but positive yet she regrouped mentally and didn't make a fool of herself. I think it was partially due to larger galleries coming home, and prominent cameras. After the outburst on 15 Danielle hit a terrific tee shot on the par 3 16th to 4 feet but again missed the putt, barely grazing the cup on the right side. I thought the bag might be in jeopardy again but she merely played catch with the golf ball exiting the green, then was in a good mood on the 17th tee during a lengthy delay. It really got backed up on that hole late in the day. Danielle joked that she offered her caddie $1000 if he cut off all his hair. It is quite the mop, bundled into a ball to fit behind his cap.

* Much more activity than yesterday on the practice green and driving range. Cristie was working on her backswing and one wedge after another, as her caddie and also her coach videotaped her swings and showed them to her.

Dani Holmqvist must have been disgusted with her driver because she hit dozens of them on the range.

On the putting green, Amy Olson recruited Jin Young Ko to play in an outing on the Monday before Founder's Cup next year. Amy pitched the idea to Ko, saying she plays in it all the time and has a great time. Then the organizer of that outing stepped in and provided more details to Ko.

* Jacqui Concolino was receiving putting tips from a guy who took great delight and full credit credit whenever she sank one

* Today from the grab bucket alongside the practice green I had one free Gatorade and one free Pepsi

Yeah, it seems like Ollie has his hands full with Danielle, but appears to take it in stride, and does a great job.

Brittany sure made a mess of the final holes, but it's good to hear that she didn't let it get to her. During the broadcast they mentioned that she lives nearby, so I'm a bit surprised to her that she struggled with club selection from behind the green. When in doubt, putt.

Lexi had a solid day. She hit it good on the front, just not good enough to get some easy birdies. Much better on the back. Funny she had only one 3 on her card before 18. Look for the standard bearer in her group wearing the red shoes!

Yea, I'd say hitting 13 of 14 fairways and all 18 greens is a solid day :)

Couldn't have had a better group today. Had Ryann O'Toole, Mariah Stackhouse and Pernilla Lindberg. It was easy to remember Ryann's caddies name, also Ryan. Those two were fun. Pernilla was not as slow as normal today, although I wouldn't call her fast by any means. Mariah and her caddy are pretty quiet but very nice.

Only people out with us in the gallery were Mariah's mom and Pernilla's parents. Not much else besides that.

Tomorrow I have Peiyun Chien, Hannah Green and Minjee Lee.

* Such a demographic shift from Geezer Thursday. Friday was more balanced and then Saturday had youth all over the place, partially due to a clinic out near the first tee...actually on the other end of the player's driving range. On entry I saw dozens of young girls with blue T-shirts reading, "Girls own the course." Their director said that the girl who gets her picture taken with the most LPGA players wins a prize at the end of the day

* Wind really messed with the scoring early on the front nine. Those holes 2-4 are difficult to begin with and today they played into the wind. Lots of disaster cards. Anyone going through there in Even par really gained ground. Ariya was -2 on that stretch and really vaulted up the leaderboard but didn't do a heck of a lot the remainder of the day

* Many spectators walk that front nine once, and never do it again. I hear that theme every year. Countless times already this week. The early holes are spaced well apart, with players allowed to take carts but spectators forced to wait back until the carts pass. Then once spectators arrive at the tee box, the players have already hit. Holes 1-5 are really a poor design in terms of watching a pro event.

* Kudos to the caddies who don't overreact and scream at spectators for no reason. I've mentioned some of the jerks who invariably look to make problems. But today there was one example after another in the other direction. Moriya Jutanugarn hit it well right of 9 fairway but her caddie realized nobody was doing anything wrong and merely spoke to Moriya about strategy on the shot. Likewise with Austin Ernst's caddie on 9 when she was even further right. Cristie's caddie stayed calm when she hit a poor approach into 9 that went into the gallery. Same with Marina Alex' caddie, later on 9 with almost the same miss

* Cristie did instruct the crowd when she arrived on the location of her errant shot. Terrain was sharply right to left as she prepared to hit her chip shot. "I'm playing the break so I need everybody back. Well back. If you are staying here, please don't move. Don't move at all. We can't have a changing shadow."

* Then when Marina Alex faced the same predicament maybe a half hour later, she arrived at the spot and offered only a sheepish, "Hi" to spectators, as if embarrassed to be that far off line.

* Marina did beam on Friday exiting 17 when a female spectator shouted, "Way to go Jersey!" That was one of the largest and most genuine smiles I've seen from any player all week

* I followed So Yeon, Jessica and Cristie on the front nine. But Cristie fell out of contention quickly, Jessica was mostly stalled and her swing cutting across the ball while losing distance and efficiency, and So Yeon was playing fine but didn't look explosive enough to contend. Once So Yeon had a brutal lip out for birdie on 9 I decided to go back and follow Nelly, Marina and Charley.

* That was bad news for Marina Alex, even if she didn't realize it. I am always her jinx. She never even manages to remain Even par for the stretch of holes I follow. It held up again today. Marina bogeyed the easy par 3 8th as soon as I got there. I chuckled to myself. She had two crazy lip outs later, to the point she was noticeably frustrated and screamed "aaaaauuuuuhhh" exiting the 14th green while heading to the ladies room. That second lip out had been on 14.

* I followed that group mostly for Nelly Korda. It seemed logical that she was most likely to challenge Lexi. Brittany Lincicome is an emotional player and already spent her chance on Friday. I didn't think she would regroup. Nelly's ball striking and especially her putting really impressed me on Friday. She has better technique than her sister almost across the board, IMO.

* I couldn't believe how close Nelly hit it today. One short birdie putt after another. She missed a couple of them, including on 18. Nelly is a very natural putter but when she errs it is short and tentative. That seemingly shows from 10-15 foot range, maybe 2-3 times per round. Darn shame she had the chunked wedge on 14, which probably was a 1.5 shot loss, on average.

* I didn't see the TV replay. On 16 Nelly pulled her tee shot badly on the par 3 and ended up tight to the face. Her sister Jessica had the same predicament on the par 5 6th today and the ball nearly bounced back and hit her in the chest. Nelly's situation looked worse...tighter to the face. I knew a male would be able to play one foot in/one foot out and muscle it out of there. But for a female to not only notice the availability but pull it off so effortlessly was quite impressive, even if she missed the par putt.

* Bogeys are not bad when following a group in person. Last thing you want is nothing but pars. That Nelly group was awesome today in that regard. Nelly had nary a par on the back nine and Charley Hull also contributed some late errors, along with birdie on 17.

* This week Lydia Ko has been the number one devotee of Aim Point. She steps off everything in robotic fashion. I saw her Aim Point from 2.5 feet on a completely straight putt. Lydia still lifts the fingers. Other Aim Point users like Marina Alex step off but do not lift the fingers. Maybe they think it looks silly. I have to say Lydia's putting is extremely mechanical and not pleasing to watch.

* i was disappointed when Michelle had the operation and had to pull out of this event, but overall it has allowed me to evaluate more players. The depressing aspect is lack of Leadbetter and lack of Michelle's parents. As I mentioned on Thursday, the Kordas follow every hole but never change expression and nothing is in English. I did hear Petr Korda say, "Sit" as Nelly's tee shot landed fairly deep on the 12th green today. That was the extent of his English.

* The betting matchup this week was Lexi vs. Ciganda. I thought that was being a bit generous to Ciganda, especially since she was the money line favorite over Lexi (-125 to -105). I played Lexi in the matchup at -105 so I need her to hold on and defeat Ciganda. Obviously it was one of maybe 50 matchups. not the only one. Not often do the matchup competitors end up together in the final group on Sunday.

* Four bagger today with the free drinks: Red Gatorade, followed by classic Gatorade, then Pepsi, before heading home with another Red Gatorade

" Such a demographic shift from Geezer Thursday." Love this comment!

"Many spectators walk that front nine once, and never do it again. I hear that theme every year. Countless times already this week. The early holes are spaced well apart, with players allowed to take carts but spectators forced to wait back until the carts pass. Then once spectators arrive at the tee box, the players have already hit. Holes 1-5 are really a poor design in terms of watching a pro event."

I hear this. Some courses are not designed for spectators. Over officious marshals and ill thought out rope placements don't help either.

So, who wins this? Do i bet my house on Lexi, if offered an even money bet? I still own a house from not betting on Ariya last week. Lexi is pretty formidable when in this form, and barring a 4-shot penalty mysteriously imposed on her half way through tomorrow's round, i can't see her giving up the lead. (Has anyone scoured the videotape for a rule infraction yet?). But...Nelly has been blooded now, so you never, ever know!

South Koreans have been very subdued in this big event.

Slow start by Lexi, but she stepped on the gas on the back nine. She's probably kicking herself for paring the 17th though. I thought putting from off the green was the right choice, but she didn't put a good roll on it. Again, I'm surprised more players don't putt from off the green. Brittany and Amy both chipped way past the holes on the 9th. She did seem to be putting with some confidence today.

'Very nice ballstriking by Nelly. A few tentative putts definitely kept her from really going low.

So Yeon climbs to T4, and we don't see a single shot.

It'll be nice to see Nelly and Lexi in the final group tomorrow.

It sure seems Ariya has the bonus locked up. With a win out of range, fairways and greens are sufficient to cash the check. I'm still rather shocked by the play from the top 5. I thought we'd see some end of the season fireworks.

P.S. Gaby is in her third season, not first, Judy.

Curtis Strange comes off as a dick on the telecast, being mean to Judy. Lol. I bet she doesn't like him a whole lot.

Not many people does....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”