2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

College Women's Golf - are they really that great?

TigerMom

http://www.golfwrx.com/531332/womens-college-golfers-and-juniors-are-getting-significantly-better-here-are-the-stats/

article make it sound like girls have to shoot better than par in competitive tournaments as a junior to play competitive college golf

but then I looked at some college tournaments with top 25 teams and the median finisher shooting anywhere from 10-20 over par for 3 rounds (6100 yard)

for tournaments with good academic schools but not great teams (more like top #100-200 D1) median can be 20-35 over par for 3 rounds

is it because courses women college playing on that much harder than junior tournaments like AJGA?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just my opinion and others may have a better take on things because they have gone through it.

10 years ago we had some pretty bad economic times. Junior golf is expensive. This means a lot kids probably dropped out of playing golf.

Then people started to spread rumors that golf is a easy place to get a scholarship if they pick up a club. So we had a rush of girls playing again who really are not good enough or interested in playing.

The economy has picked back up and there are more girls which means it is getting more competitive.

As for breaking par on every round I don’t think that they need to be that good. If they are then turning pro would be the better option. I do however feel that they have had rounds under par and generally shoot low 70s on average. From what I can tell girls who average 75 can get scholarships but your going to have to work hard to get one.

I have four acquaintances from this area who played major D1 women's college golf. The eldest played at Duke, one played at South Carolina, one played at Maryland and her sister is currently playing at Virginia Tech. Their experiences in junior golf predominantly consisted of playing 5,800 yard courses with a lack of imagination in course setup (USGA events not withstanding). They were essentially set up for scoring. All four chose to play many boys junior golf tournaments to face better competition. NCAA courses are generally 6,400 to 6,500 yards and are set up to reward par.

I have played quite a bit of golf with the fathers of these four young ladies over the years. I have no personal experience with this. I'm only basing my opinion on what I've heard from the fathers of those young ladies. But from their perspective, course length and set-up are the overwhelming difference.

The US Kids Golf website says the 9-hole standard for course set-up for 14-15 year old girls should be 2,500 yards. My 11 year old daughter plays from 5,300 yards at our home club.

I have four acquaintances from this area who played major D1 women's college golf. The eldest played at Duke, one played at South Carolina, one played at Maryland and her sister is currently playing at Virginia Tech. Their experiences in junior golf predominantly consisted of playing 5,800 yard courses with a lack of imagination in course setup (USGA events not withstanding). They were essentially set up for scoring. All four chose to play many boys junior golf tournaments to face better competition. NCAA courses are generally 6,400 to 6,500 yards and are set up to reward par.

I have played quite a bit of golf with the fathers of these four young ladies over the years. I have no personal experience with this. I'm only basing my opinion on what I've heard from the fathers of those young ladies. But from their perspective, course length and set-up are the overwhelming difference.

The US Kids Golf website says the 9-hole standard for course set-up for 14-15 year old girls should be 2,500 yards. My 11 year old daughter plays from 5,300 yards at our home club.

golfstat shows most tournament course setups for women to be 6000-6200 yards

I thought that was similar to many AJGA events

There are a bunch of myths and misconceptions about girl's/women's golf, the most prolific of which is the belief that if their kid can swing a golf club without falling over that she'll be a lock for a D1 scholarship. Simply not true.

Top level girl's junior golf is very competitive and these kids are exceptional. AJGA invitationals are at prime venues and typically around 6200 yards, and their "open" events are typically around 6000-6100. USGA qualifiers and national championships are often set up even tougher. Winners of these events are typically under par. Lesser "developmental" tours will play 5600-6000 and scores will vary by region & depth of field.

Collegiality it depends on the team and the conference. The top tier D1 schools in tough conferences like the SEC have plenty of players capable of going really low, with the top player's scoring averages around par or better. Event winners will almost always be under par. Since the courses they play are rated so difficult from the tees they're playing, you're talking about handicaps deep into the plus territory. The top programs are very desirable for the best junior players and their families, so it is extremely competitive.

There are plenty of lower tier D1 programs, D2, NAIA, etc., where the depth isn't so great, but the best players are still shooting par or better to win. At these schools a player with a scoring average sub-80 will likely get plenty of playing time, but wont be a star. Many of these programs are not fully funded though, so scholarship $ either goes to top players only, or gets spread around as partials. Either way, it's still competitive.

Another thing to keep in mind is that scoring "average" is a fickle metric that can be easily skewed by outlier scores if a kid has an injury, plays in tough weather conditions, etc. Given that these kids are playing into late fall and again in very early spring, they face tough weather conditions often.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

This past spring, the shortest course set-up for the NCAA Regional and/or Final was Karsten Creek at 6,328. As others have said, lower tier NCAA schools may play some pretty short set-ups. But most "Power 5" conference schools play around that 6,300 to 6,500 yard range.

The Callaway Junior Worlds measured 5,826 for the girls in 2018.

https://www.ajga.org/microsite/index.asp?tn=2018003#Yardages

The AJGA/CJGA Finals was played at 5,881.

https://www.ajga.org/microsite/index.asp?tn=2018105#Yardages

The first time I broke 80 I shot 75. My mom got really excited because Jack Nicklaus shot 75 in the US Open that day. So when I was 14 I was just as good as Jack.

You think maybe courses they play in college are harder than jr golf?

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The first time I broke 80 I shot 75. My mom got really excited because Jack Nicklaus shot 75 in the US Open that day. So when I was 14 I was just as good as Jack.

You think maybe courses they play in college are harder than jr golf?

Same reason a lot of junior golfers on the local tour shoot low 40s to under par. Get to Pinehurst and they can't compete. Granted easy courses are great for learning to score, but you need to figure out how to play the brutal courses if you want to truly be successful at this game at any level.

This past spring, the shortest course set-up for the NCAA Regional and/or Final was Karsten Creek at 6,328. As others have said, lower tier NCAA schools may play some pretty short set-ups. But most "Power 5" conference schools play around that 6,300 to 6,500 yard range.

https://www.ajga.org...018003#Yardages

https://www.ajga.org...018105#Yardages

100% agree with what Sixcat is saying. For the most part, Junior Girl's golf tournaments are playing from too short of a distance. I believe the main reason why is to attract a field more than 12 girls. In Florida you will find events for 13-18 year old girl's anywhere from 5500 yards to right at 6000 yards. They move on to College DI golf and it is 6300 to 6600.

Let's put things into perspective. My daughter plays D1 golf and averages in the 70's from from 6300-6600 yards. My 13 year old son beats her like a drum.

I have long said that the best Junior Boy's golfers are not only better than Collegiate Female golfers, but they are better than LPGA golfers as well.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

https://www.ajga.org...018003#Yardages

https://www.ajga.org...018105#Yardages

100% agree with what Sixcat is saying. For the most part, Junior Girl's golf tournaments are playing from too short of a distance. I believe the main reason why is to attract a field more than 12 girls. In Florida you will find events for 13-18 year old girl's anywhere from 5500 yards to right at 6000 yards. They move on to College DI golf and it is 6300 to 6600.

Let's put things into perspective. My daughter plays D1 golf and averages in the 70's from from 6300-6600 yards. My 13 year old son beats her like a drum.

I have long said that the best Junior Boy's golfers are not only better than Collegiate Female golfers, but they are better than LPGA golfers as well.

So what you're saying is we should work on the long game... got it.

Actually that's not entirely accurate either. When you move back to longer yardages the entire field will typically hit less greens in regulation. This puts more emphasis on short game so players with better up & down % will score lower.

There are different ways one can arrive at the same score. In my experience and observation not only do boys hit it longer, they're also more likely to have better short games including putting than their female cpunterparts.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Oh, and if a top ranked Boy junior golfer goes up against a similar ranked LPGA player, I will bet almost anything that the LPGA player wins everytime. Of course they need to play from their respective tees: AM from tips and LPGA from whites.

What if the whites are the tips?

Actually that's not entirely accurate either. When you move back to longer yardages the entire field will typically hit less greens in regulation. This puts more emphasis on short game so players with better up & down % will score lower.

There are different ways one can arrive at the same score. In my experience and observation not only do boys hit it longer, they're also more likely to have better short games including putting than their female cpunterparts.

Not disagreeing but baffled that the great equalizer in golf (short game / putting) would be that different.

There are no absolutes in this, as there are different ways to arrive at a score and there will always be exceptions. It's very obvious that males generally hit the ball farther than females. What's less obvious is that the men/boys "generally" have better short games as well.

An interesting discussion may be why?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Not disagreeing but baffled that the great equalizer in golf (short game / putting) would be that different.

There are no absolutes in this, as there are different ways to arrive at a score and there will always be exceptions. It's very obvious that males generally hit the ball farther than females. What's less obvious is that the men/boys "generally" have better short games as well.

An interesting discussion may be why?

probably genetics

As others have indicated I think talent depth is key here. The top girls at the top schools are good and they can tear a course up. But to have a school be able to post 4 (out of the 5 playing) under-par is really difficult because I don't think there are that many girls at that level for a 6000-6200 yard setup. At a typical AJGA open tournament there are 90ish boys and 30ish girls which somewhat reflects the number of boys vs. girls in the sport (and I'd argue the ratio is even more like 4:1 or 5:1 or even worse given my anecdotal experiences). So if that reflects your pool of talent then you simply will not have near the depth of comparable talent in college given the opportunity ratio is not even 2:1 (NCAA says 8527 men and 5372 women for golf).

As for junior tournaments, I did find AJGA tended to play fairly short for the girls in open tournaments, especially if the course was tough (but our experience is limited so definitely YRMV). For example at Sugarloaf in Maine (brutally tough off the tee) they were advertising ~5600 for the girls but in reality I don't think it played longer than 5400. At the national level here in Canada it is closer to 6000 on average while provincially it is in the 5800 range.

I have to agree not hitting greens in regulation because your short of the is a huge flaw in their game. You can’t win if you take birdies off the table.

Women 15-20 years ago were better players then they are today. Look at Anika Sorenstam vs today’s field in the LPGA no comparison she was much more talented.

I also think there are lot long hitting girls out there now under 15. Would not be surprised to see women averaging 280-300 yards in NCAA and LPGA as well. Those that are short are going to have a hard time competing even with the best short game.

I have to agree not hitting greens in regulation because your short of the is a huge flaw in their game. You can’t win if you take birdies off the table.

Women 15-20 years ago were better players then they are today. Look at Anika Sorenstam vs today’s field in the LPGA no comparison she was much more talented.

I also think there are lot long hitting girls out there now under 15. Would not be surprised to see women averaging 280-300 yards in NCAA and LPGA as well. Those that are short are going to have a hard time competing even with the best short game.

Look at Annika how? She’s a generational golfer. They don’t come around that often. If you’re gonna say her win record is higher, then I would argue that’s because the top 20 in the women’s game are better now than they used to be. I think the depth of the women’s game is much better than it was in her time.

http://www.golfwrx.com/531332/womens-college-golfers-and-juniors-are-getting-significantly-better-here-are-the-stats/

article make it sound like girls have to shoot better than par in competitive tournaments as a junior to play competitive college golf

but then I looked at some college tournaments with top 25 teams and the median finisher shooting anywhere from 10-20 over par for 3 rounds (6100 yard)

for tournaments with good academic schools but not great teams (more like top #100-200 D1) median can be 20-35 over par for 3 rounds

is it because courses women college playing on that much harder than junior tournaments like AJGA?

Top 25 teams aren’t playing events at 6100 yards. And if they are the scores will be low.

The 6th best player on the 25th ranked team is averaging 73.8. Top 4 players on the 25th ranked team all average under par under tougher conditions than junior golf.

Top 25 teams aren’t playing events at 6100 yards. And if they are the scores will be low.

The 6th best player on the 25th ranked team is averaging 73.8. Top 4 players on the 25th ranked team all average under par under tougher conditions than junior golf.

http://golfstat.com/2018-2019/tstat/wtsfl18/w1071.pdf

There are many more examples

You are wrong on this one

How am I wrong? The yardage is 6171 and that’s for a par 71. Which is equivalent of 6300 yard par 72, not the same as 6100. Again the top 4 players on the 25th ranked team all average under par.

Here no top 25 teams and over 6300 at sea level.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=player&tid=16073

How am I wrong? The yardage is 6171 and that’s for a par 71. Which is equivalent of 6300 yard par 72, not the same as 6100. Again the top 4 players on the 25th ranked team all average under par.

You aren’t even close to being right in your comment

I can provide a half dozen more examples of top 25 teams playing on courses < 6200 yards and teams scores not being below par

It’s ok to admit you don’t know everything

You aren’t even close to being right in your comment

I can provide a half dozen more examples of top 25 teams playing on courses < 6200 yards and teams scores not being below par

Again show me how I’m wrong. I’m telling you what the average individual players are shooting. Again you can believe whatever BS you want. To play for a top 25 program you absolutely have to be able to shoot under par in junior golf.

I have a player who won an AJGA and had 5 top 10s in AJGAs, played is 3 US Jrs and a US Women’s AM among many other top finishes. She had a career low of 62 in junior golf and received no offers from current top 25 teams. And she could have played Ivy League so it had zero to do with grades

When did I say I know everything? Again I gave the actual statistics.

You are actually wrong TigerMom.

Again what’s your point? And you do realize you included a 6200 yard par 71 where the only top 25 team shot under par and another that was around 6200 yards and the top 25 schools all shot under par?

How about this?

http://golfstat.com/2018-2019/women/wtourfl18/W5261.pdf