2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

SL players, do you use the same swing that you played with before switching to SL or have you changed to a Bryson's type single plain with little to no wrist hinging?

just hit your 7 iron...

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

SL players, do you use the same swing that you played with before switching to SL or have you changed to a Bryson's type single plain with little to no wrist hinging?

These are separate concepts, one not affecting the other. You can do a one-plane swing with or without wrist hinge. You can do a two-plane swing with or without wrist hinge. You can do any of those combinations with SL or VL irons.

For whatever reason, Bryson chose the one-plane, no-wrist, Moe Norman approach. I cannot relate to this. He also chose to use single-length irons, which I CAN relate to. Personally, I use a two-plane approach with no intentional wrist hinging and an RIT release, and have switched from VL to SL irons without changing that.

Had a range session today and compared my Ping eye2+ 5 iron to the SL 5 iron. A bad hit with the Ping was better than a good hit (there were not a lot) with the SL 5. A guy off to the right of me, who also was playing with SL Cobras, stopped hitting and was watching me in my total frustration. He came over and I let him try my 5. After 3 abysmal hits, he said, "there's something off with this club". I was kind of relieved when he said that. After hitting the Ping with no problems, it just verified my assumption that for this particular endeavor, it was the arrow and not the Indian. So like the old saying, "nothing ventured - nothing gained", so I'll just stick with me Pings and add some higher lofted woods into the mix. Appreciate all the advice from you guys, but SL right now is just not for me.

It's not for everyone. It took me 2 tries for them to "work" and stay in the bag. The first try was a lot of frustration and having to deconstruct some mental habits (like having a more shallow swing with long irons than short irons).

I'll also say that changing my grips made a huge difference. With the long irons having steeper approach angles, I had to find a setup (grip, stance, plane, etc) that promoted better contact. With the long irons, a shot that would normally be a little fat felt like pushing a sledgehammer through the turf. Adjusting the grips to change the amount of bottom hand taper helped get me into position for much cleaner and consistent contact.

The way I'd describe the SL transition is that there are fewer variables so each swing characteristic is more important, and consequently they reward a high level of ballstriking consistency.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Had a range session today and compared my Ping eye2+ 5 iron to the SL 5 iron. A bad hit with the Ping was better than a good hit (there were not a lot) with the SL 5. A guy off to the right of me, who also was playing with SL Cobras, stopped hitting and was watching me in my total frustration. He came over and I let him try my 5. After 3 abysmal hits, he said, "there's something off with this club". I was kind of relieved when he said that. After hitting the Ping with no problems, it just verified my assumption that for this particular endeavor, it was the arrow and not the Indian. So like the old saying, "nothing ventured - nothing gained", so I'll just stick with me Pings and add some higher lofted woods into the mix. Appreciate all the advice from you guys, but SL right now is just not for me.

Did you ask to hit his SL 5 iron as a comparison?

When I got my set I put it on a Mitchell machine to check the specs and there was massive variations in the lie and loft of almost every club in the set from the spec sheet. Fortunately they bend really easy so I was able to solve it quick.

WITB:

Good point on getting Your lies checked as manufacturing tolerances are less than consistent. On all manufactures not only Cobra.

I checked my F7 and there were a few of them off but only 1 degree on the pw, 1.5on the 6, and 2 on the 7, the rest were spot on.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Good point on getting Your lies checked as manufacturing tolerances are less than consistent. On all manufactures not only Cobra.

I checked my F7 and there were a few of them off but only 1 degree on the pw, 1.5on the 6, and 2 on the 7, the rest were spot on.

I had up to +/- 3 degrees in loft (my 6 iron was lower loft than my 5!) And lies we're all over with one 3.5 degrees upright. I had ordered standard loft and 1* flat.

WITB:

Did you ask to hit his SL 5 iron as a comparison?

When I got my set I put it on a Mitchell machine to check the specs and there was massive variations in the lie and loft of almost every club in the set from the spec sheet. Fortunately they bend really easy so I was able to solve it quick.

I was so frustrated, I didn't even think to hit his 5. Checking the specs is next on the agenda, after reading your post. That could hopefully be the answer to the problem.

Well, specs were checked and they were on the mark from the web sites spec sheet. Loft 23* lie 62.5. I also noticed several reviews on the site, that mentioned the lack of height with the 5 iron, so I'm not alone in that regards. I'm temporarily going to retract my SL's are not for me statement, as I'm stubborn and I can see the value of SL irons. So once again I'll endeavor to find the secret.

I found my problem and it was my grip. Went to a strong(er) right hand and started hitting everything. Still have a fade/almost slice at times with the 5, but I'm pretty sure I need to have the lie adjusted and that should fix it. I actually was getting decent height with the 5, so another in the plus column. Now every shot is fairly comfortable and in the same position, as SL's dictate and confidence is on the rise. Hopefully, some decent weather will show up before the real cold and snow. Anyway, looking forward to next season. Wishing all Happy and Safe Holidays...........

I was fitted for Edel SLS at their HQ in Liberty Hills back in Feb- Great experience and nice staff - They gave me the dime tour and there was plenty of eye candy around including some custom wedges and putters for a couple PGA Pro’s - Very cool

- The fitting experience was nice, thorough and worth my time- I had been playing I95 S steel fibers already in my previous clubs- When checked my spin numbers and release were better with the Paderson 110 S. I admit the top line of the clubs were a bit wide (I played Hogan Ft Worth Blades) but easily got past it because I like the compact club head heel to toe.

⁃ Delayed my order till October and now have about 10 rounds on them. I bought 4-PW, I still play traditional length Gap and Sand wedges. Just more comfortable that way. I use them around the green and inside 100 yds exclusively 99% of the time.

⁃ So far, my performance/handicap hasn’t dropped or increased. I am about a 7-9 handicap and have stayed right in that range. I have been working on a couple of things with my swing the last 5 rounds, but still have pretty much stayed in my scoring averages.

⁃ The only negative that I had was with the long irons- 4 and 5. At first, I couldn’t get any consistency out of them. My miss was mostly to the right. Not sure what the exact issue was, but my confidence is growing the more I use them and practice. A bonus with all clubs is I am 1 club longer with these. I don’t have any issue with height on the long irons- especially off the Tee. The last couple of rounds I have hit some really nice long iron shots that keep you coming back for more.

⁃ 6-P I never missed a beat and really didn’t have any adjustment with those at all. Good height no ballooning in the short irons. Everything seemed to work with those irons pretty much as designed. I am just starting to get a feel for the shot making ability with the set. I played blades, so you could work the ball more easily. The Edel SLS has quite a bit of game improvement features so these seem reluctant to perform on some of the shot shaping.

⁃ Still happy with the purchase and look forward to more playing time with them. When swung correctly they are as accurate as anything I have played. The extra distance was a pleasant surprise and consistent on good swings. I know single length isn’t for everyone, but I think I can get more reliability and scoring dependability with it. I am partial to looking at blades – but these will be in the bag for this upcoming season for sure.

I had up to +/- 3 degrees in loft (my 6 iron was lower loft than my 5!) And lies we're all over with one 3.5 degrees upright. I had ordered standard loft and 1* flat.

Which company sl do you have?

Under construction....

I have cobra, I built a set of wishon when they first came out but didn’t bond with them, I had the wrong shafts. Might build another set. Or get a set of f max one length but they are hard to find.

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

In the winter I start to pack a half set into my Jones bag and then alternate it every so often. Right now I have the 6-8-P in there, at some point I'll swap over to the 7-9-G. Gives me practice hitting some choked down, less than full shots. Or put the ball a little back of center, give it some shaft lean and hit it a few yards further than I normally would. Really good practice.

At some point I'll even go to just the 8 through wedges and play only shots inside 160 yards.

A lot of really good things you can do in the offseason to get yourself more comfortable with them. Although to be fair - you could do this with VL clubs too.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

At least, you had tried.

If it worked for some of the other golfers and helped their game, great ! I just find more SL sets for sale online Used and new..... If there is no pink elephant in the room, can't paint the sofa pink.

I was basically being attacked when I said, at best the SL concept will be equal to the traditional set up, no magic bullet there to slay the monster.

But, it's a personal opinion, as we encounter clashes of opinion everyday. I had no hidden agenda and was not promoting any, just a simple observation. Sometimes an honest opinion would be ripped apart by those either have their own interests or totally blind at the moment because of their believe to have found some easy way for the game. The mouse trap had been invented many times over the centuries. The only difference is the technology today will bring the tools of the game to the leading edge.

Even that, with the material at hands we're fast approaching the limit of what modern science could improve.

LOVE swinging my 9 iron, favorite club in the bag length wise. Is there anyway I could build a set of these at 9 iron length AKA 36"?

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I have cobra, I built a set of wishon when they first came out but didn’t bond with them, I had the wrong shafts. Might build another set. Or get a set of f max one length but they are hard to find.

Nice...each iteration gets a little better f9 irons I hear are absolute cannons...

Under construction....

Which company sl do you have?

Cobra forged one length

WITB:

Hahahaha,, well the VL experiment went south.. I just could not get used to the feel. The SL's have been tattooed on my soul. Dramatic yes, but it's either this or I start hustling chess in the park.

I love my F7's but may look at upgrading to F9's $ or walk over to Edel $$$.. I'm a cheap a** so it will probably be $.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I've seen some affordable demo sets pop up on eBay. My son is 13 and learning the game and I think I'm going to put him in SL now. It's really benefitted me and I think the simple approach will work great for him.

Now to convince my wife I'm not buying these for me.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I gave the F7 a good, long, earnest effort, but the short irons were WAY too high and the longer irons flew too low. Truly disappointed. After a short interregnum and some sizeable offerings to the golf gods, I got a set of F8s and couldn't be happier. The short irons still fly high, but not too high. The 5 iron flies a bit lower than a VL 5 iron, but only a bit. Life is good.

LOVE swinging my 9 iron, favorite club in the bag length wise. Is there anyway I could build a set of these at 9 iron length AKA 36"?

Yes I have done it for a few guys...probably going to need some lead tape though...or a special setup to get the weight correct.

do you think 20 grams of lead tape is too much?

My rough calculations go something like this:

LGyZmPc.jpg

Also does anyone know what the highest density leadtape there is? probably gonna need some LOL

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Just order a set of cobra one length with -1 in the drop down box, no sure what swing weight would be or if cobra offered lighter head weights.

Or buy some f7 on eBay they are going new for $200 and cut them down. Used probably cheaper.

I would not start with variable length irons, too much modification involved.

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

I had a chance to hit a an F7 SL 5 iron last night and a F8 VL 5 iron back to back on the simulator.

The most noticeable thing right off the bat was I was hitting little draws with the VL 5 iron and little Fades with the SL iron. No attempt to do anything different on my end. Just a little strange. Probably a mix of ball position with the SL club and it having R flex shafts.

I didn't commit all the numbers to memory but I was swinging the VL 5 a little faster but I wasn't seeing a ton of difference on distance between the SL and VL. I wasn't paying attention to peak height but they weren't too far off each other on good strikes. That might have been different it I was hitting a draw wit the SL set.

It certainly has me slightly intrigued to at least try a partial SL set 4-5-6

Just order a set of cobra one length with -1 in the drop down box, no sure what swing weight would be or if cobra offered lighter head weights.

Or buy some f7 on eBay they are going new for $200 and cut them down. Used probably cheaper.

I would like to build my own with a particular graphite shaft (only comes in .370) and want the head to be forged which is what's leading me down the VL iron path vs single length

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I would like to build my own with a particular graphite shaft (only comes in .370) and want the head to be forged which is what's leading me down the VL iron path vs single length

Ok but it’s more work then it’s worth in my opinion. If it has to be forged and .370 then I would buy a used set of cobra forged one length off eBay and get a shaft reamer and ream out heads, assembly and your done. Or you can cobble together something like you want to do if you like to tinker.

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380