Chipping yips and utterly wrecked confidence.

Lukulos

I can feel OPs pain. I Recently got yips and it's so demoralizing. Luckily it seems to only be off range mats as on real grass it's generally not been an issue. It's likely for me because during practicing, I am thinking so mechanically about my swing. On the course... I'm just playing, and trying to make the ball get in the hole. It's also a self fulfilling prophecy as once you yip...your brain knows you do it and continues to make it worse and worse.

I've never had a great short game but something that helped me recently was watching guys like Brett Rumford or JM Olazabal. They use a lot of body rotation in their chipping

http://twitter.com/d...9080643587?s=21

I think people have forgotten how good JMO was. Brilliant short game and iron player.

Best chipper bar none. Aggressive too whilst just chipping it over the fringe. His contact sounds so solid. And has a similar looking motion but flights it differently.

I think people forget a chip is all about controlling energy, you just need to chip it over an obstacle. Chip, not pitch. Will the ball onwards to the hole. Watch Ollie and he just seems to have this punchy but crisp rhythm.

I remember watching him at the Masters one year. The 9th hole, pin on the lower tier and his second shot had gone over the back of the green. People putting from the top couldn't get it anywhere close to the hole. He chipped it down stone dead. Wish I could do that...

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I've never had a great short game but something that helped me recently was watching guys like Brett Rumford or JM Olazabal. They use a lot of body rotation in their chipping

http://twitter.com/d...9080643587?s=21

I think people have forgotten how good JMO was. Brilliant short game and iron player.

+1

Not much tv air in his time, he was a short game wizard and the best iron player of his generation.

Reread Jim Waldron's post, then reread it again. The only mechanical help is this:

Try chipping by pinning your upper arms to your chest and striking the ball by mostly just rotating your body away and to the target. This works about 70% of the time, about 70% better than you're doing now.

70%...try 90% IMO. Plus, maintain the bend in the right wrist throughout the swing.

EDIT: Thank you guys for sharing your comments. Reading them has given me a better perspective on the situation.

Hey guys,

I don't post here often, but here it goes. Something happened to me this past weekend and it's honestly shaken me so badly that I need to get my thoughts out and vent a little. This is also an open invitation for anyone to share any experiences they've had similar to mine and what you've possibly done to help. Okay so here it goes:

The past 3 days I was in Aiken, South Carolina playing golf at Palmetto Golf Club. The second oldest club in the country and probably the coolest, most stunning club I have ever played on. Just a 25 minute drive from Augusta. I was very lucky to get out there and the invitation was from a very generous person I have caddied for in Indianapolis who was also a friend of my uncles. Big outing with a bunch of cool people. Should be a great time.

Well it was great. I met and talked with a lot of cool local people and had a blast, but as it was a golf trip we did play multiple rounds of golf each day and something happened on the second round of my second day there that I still can't figure out. On the second hole from an awkward bermuda grass overseeded lie, greenside, I hit what could be best described as a fat, thin bladed wedge well over the green.

This isn't a brag, but I NEVER do this. Short game is definitely the best part of my game and carried me thru highscool and college. But, it was okay. I finish the hole with a double and move on. I hit the green in reg on the next 3 holes and on hole 6 I'm faced with a similar chip, but an easier stance and lie so I never even thought about it. Do my normal routine and whack! The ball screams 5 inches off the ground over the green. Like a lightning bolt hit me right before I hit the ball. Now the panic sets in. I proceed to death march thru the rest of that round thinning and bladeing more chips then I ever have in my life. I am stubborn to a fault and kept trying what I thought was my normal chipping approach all with failure. I don't get mad on the golf course typically, but my playing partners could I see I was utterly destroyed by this situation and very embarrassed. I was the low cap on our team in the big game and definitely let the team down. Fortunately Southern Hospitality is as real as you've heard and these guys were extremely kind and understanding.

The 2 rounds remaining there were a disaster and the rest of my game followed suit. Any shot from 100 yards in with a gap wedge or less in my hands was thinned or bladed. I just played awful and felt so bad about it. It was honestly one of the worst and most exhausting experiences I have had this year. Yes, I realize how entitled that sounds, but I am being serious. I kept thinking about it last night trying to go to bed. How ridiculous!

Now let me get this out of the way. I know golf isn't everything. I have my health, my career, my family. I am really very lucky and don't have much to complain about. But...at the same time golf is a big part of my life and I have heard how yips can follow and haunt players for years and the idea of that is terrifying me.

As we approach the end of the season here in Indy I don't know if I should even try picking up a club again. That's how troubled I am.

If you've read this far I appreciate it. This was more of a therapeutic exercise to let out my frustrations, but I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or similar experiences. Thank you again for reading.

I pull through with my left hand (rightie), works every time! Good Luck!

Also, if you haven't used a urethane ball, try it. It makes you want to hit a crisp shot to see that sucker spin.

Reread Jim Waldron's post, then reread it again. The only mechanical help is this:

Try chipping by pinning your upper arms to your chest and striking the ball by mostly just rotating your body away and to the target. This works about 70% of the time, about 70% better than you're doing now.

70%...try 90% IMO. Plus, maintain the bend in the right wrist throughout the swing.

Thanks for that advice about the right wrist!

If you want to try the feel....buy the Greg Norman "Secret". You'll be amazed to feel how much your right hand is used to pre-releasing. Look at most all impact positions of the pro's....the right wrist is bent back.. It also helps with chipping and sand shots. Mickelson did a video talking about keeping the right wrist bent at impact out of the sand.

I'm working on tempo right now. When you get angsty it tends to promote being too quick on the way down and all hell breaks loose.

The more I keep the same tempo that I have in practice, the more solid it all holds up on the course. Try mentally reciting one, two, one two to create a pendulum type rhythm.

If you want to try the feel....buy the Greg Norman "Secret". You'll be amazed to feel how much your right hand is used to pre-releasing. Look at most all impact positions of the pro's....the right wrist is bent back.. It also helps with chipping and sand shots. Mickelson did a video talking about keeping the right wrist bent at impact out of the sand.

I previously thanked you for your right wrist advice but that was premature. You're giving advice about mechanics to someone who has a true chip yipping problem. Your advice "relax" is nice to hear and I'm sure you mean well, but when someone needs to relax just telling yourself to relax is not a way to achieve it. In fact it sets up the opposite kind of reaction in your mind: you know all you need to do is relax so you shout it at yourself and feel all the worse because you're not achieving it.

I think the answer lies in getting your mind off yourself, including commands to yourself to "relax". Now some physical address and mechanical positions can help, the one that works the best is the one I posted about pinning your upper arms to your chest. But that is an odd and way off the usual instruction position---and it works precisely because it is that oddball. That's why Haney was able to solve his driving yips by gripping the club in his palm and staring at the inside of the brim of his hat while swinging. He said if he wasn't wearing a hat he'd be sunk. Personally if I adopted his solution I'd fall down dizzy during the swing but the idea of something different, a different path a different part of your brain engaged, that's where I think resides all the solutions to yips.

I previously thanked you for your right wrist advice but that was premature. You're giving advice about mechanics to someone who has a true chip yipping problem. Your advice "relax" is nice to hear and I'm sure you mean well, but when someone needs to relax just telling yourself to relax is not a way to achieve it. In fact it sets up the opposite kind of reaction in your mind: you know all you need to do is relax so you shout it at yourself and feel all the worse because you're not achieving it.

I think the answer lies in getting your mind off yourself, including commands to yourself to "relax". Now some physical address and mechanical positions can help, the one that works the best is the one I posted about pinning your upper arms to your chest. But that is an odd and way off the usual instruction position---and it works precisely because it is that oddball. That's why Haney was able to solve his driving yips by gripping the club in his palm and staring at the inside of the brim of his hat while swinging. He said if he wasn't wearing a hat he'd be sunk. Personally if I adopted his solution I'd fall down dizzy during the swing but the idea of something different, a different path a different part of your brain engaged, that's where I think resides all the solutions to yips.

The Secret gives you the feel for the right wrist position on all shots, not just chips, but it works on chips and short pitches. Haney and everyone have their own thought process but outwardly they all look very similar. You're right....you can't relax if you know the probability of an ugly shot is high. So that's why the Secret helps the learning process. So many folks, including myself, have a tendency to not rotate the body on short shorts, and release the right wrist before the ball because they are slowing down vs. keeping constant speed. My thoughts anyway.

It's interesting how we are all different and yet the same. One of the things that helps me with my chip yips is the feeling of getting my left arm away from my chest. Mine I think started from using too much of a slide with my body. That got me steep and too much force. To avoid the too much force part, I had to not use my arms at all. That meant I got into a spot where my body was ahead of the ball with my arms sucked inside and I would drag the club at the ball, but releasing would make me miss left and not releasing made me miss right, so I was stuck. I'd hold on to it because I was afraid of the miss left. I basically got to a point where my choices were hit it half way there and 30* right of the target or hit it 50% too far and 30* left of the target. Not great options. I have to stop the slide and let my arms do the work and if I do that my yip goes away. I have known this for about six years now. Under pressure I still fall back into that slide, so I have to do something to make me use my arms and the feeling of my left arm separating does that for me. I still have the fear of the yip though and it still feels like I yip, but the result is playable.

The thing I find most frustrating is that I know when I'm walking up to the ball if I'm going to have a problem or not. It's a feeling in the back of my brain of dread. I don't know why it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. I have a few things that help with it and I do a lot of putting from around the greens. Putting I had issues with my long putts, but my short putting has generally been fine. Using the claw has completely cured my putting. Claw doesn't really work when chipping from the rough and if I'm in the fairway then I'd likely be putting it anyway. So now I just have to make sure I hit all the greens!

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

It's interesting how we are all different and yet the same. One of the things that helps me with my chip yips is the feeling of getting my left arm away from my chest. Mine I think started from using too much of a slide with my body. That got me steep and too much force. To avoid the too much force part, I had to not use my arms at all. That meant I got into a spot where my body was ahead of the ball with my arms sucked inside and I would drag the club at the ball, but releasing would make me miss left and not releasing made me miss right, so I was stuck. I'd hold on to it because I was afraid of the miss left. I basically got to a point where my choices were hit it half way there and 30* right of the target or hit it 50% too far and 30* left of the target. Not great options. I have to stop the slide and let my arms do the work and if I do that my yip goes away. I have known this for about six years now. Under pressure I still fall back into that slide, so I have to do something to make me use my arms and the feeling of my left arm separating does that for me. I still have the fear of the yip though and it still feels like I yip, but the result is playable.

The thing I find most frustrating is that I know when I'm walking up to the ball if I'm going to have a problem or not. It's a feeling in the back of my brain of dread. I don't know why it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. I have a few things that help with it and I do a lot of putting from around the greens. Putting I had issues with my long putts, but my short putting has generally been fine. Using the claw has completely cured my putting. Claw doesn't really work when chipping from the rough and if I'm in the fairway then I'd likely be putting it anyway. So now I just have to make sure I hit all the greens!

Totally feel your pain, coming from one who for years could only flay open a SW for every shot off the green to about 30 yards---that could not be putted. Sometimes I'd know the yips were gonna happen and I couldn't even take back the club. So yeah I've been there.

That said, I do agree that each yip solution has to be tailored to the individual, that one size just about never fits all. The blend of mechanical fixes and mental fixes that needs to occur is different for each player. But I do think Haney's driver yip solution, at its core, is the key: some physical change that is different from what you've been doing, and different enough so that it feels at least on the verge of "weird" for you. The idea of pinning your upper arms to your sides/side of chest as you chip, which means mostly turning through the shot to actually make contact, feels ridiculous but when you begin to have success in not yipping (not necessarily success in hitting it very well or close to the hole) it will increase your confidence. That is a component of every yip, or at least a missing component. Good luck and never give up.

Started with the putter (used belly, now claw), then crept into my pitching and chipping. If I miss a green in reg I'm toast, bunker play is excellent though. I'm a little lucky in that my course has virtually no fringe so I use a hybrid a lot for basic bump and runs.

Other than, good luck. I think fundamentally it comes down to having to actually hit the shot with some force. I get guilty of having a big decel, or it's just a stiff arm jab.

Sigh.

Bunker play was excellent for me the whole time hah. No idea why.

Yips, shanks, fats, bladed across the green, chilli dips, I've had em all at some stage. But bunker play never suffers, because with bunkers you don't have to hit the ball. I think all chipping woes boil down to being too ball focussed. Even through my worst yipping episodes, I could always do perfect practice strokes next to the ball. 5 in a row, perfect tempo and a nice clipping of the grass. Then put a ball there and a jerky stab nothing like the practice swings was sure to follow. But in a bunker, you just explode it out without having to hit the ball. I often tell people who hate bunkers that they are the easiest shots to play cause they're the only time you swing without worrying about hitting the ball

I solved 90% my chipping yips by thinking...."left shoulder down and then right shoulder down" while maintaining wrist angles. This forced me to turn and eliminated an all arms chip. After hours and hours of practice I then added a slight wrist c0ck and uncock to free up the clubhead. I also moved the ball more middle of the stance and eliminated the hands way forward thing.

My yips are medically induced. Even when I stopped the meds I still have the yip in my right hand. I also had to change to a claw putting stroke due to the right hand. Some days are now worse then others and changes day to day.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went to my local short game area on this cold day and just chipped for about 50 minutes while I had time. Mostly solid and I think I've learned something.

I think I really psyched myself out on the bermuda turf that I had never played on. For those who haven't played on bermuda the ball just nestles down in such a way that you can still get at the ball fairly cleanly, but it looks buried. I think subconsciously I started trying to really help the ball get up and my right hand was flipping at the ball.

Once I realized that I started striking the ball much better. It's crazy that a change in environment may have affected my game so significantly.

Still cautious, but I do feel better after hitting balls.

Found this thread fascinating.

We are so quick to think "gotta change something"...yet...the answer may be first time on bermuda...

I gotta keep chanting one of Mr. Harvey P's pieces of advice...take one aspirin, not the whole bottle

I solved 90% my chipping yips by thinking...."left shoulder down and then right shoulder down" while maintaining wrist angles. This forced me to turn and eliminated an all arms chip. After hours and hours of practice I then added a slight wrist c0ck and uncock to free up the clubhead. I also moved the ball more middle of the stance and eliminated the hands way forward thing.

My yips are medically induced. Even when I stopped the meds I still have the yip in my right hand. I also had to change to a claw putting stroke due to the right hand. Some days are now worse then others and changes day to day.

I played with one of our club pro's last weekend. I discussed the same exact issue....right hand sometimes going berserk on chips, sand shots, and especially putts. He said the trick is to keep the pressure in both hands the same for any of those shots. Thinking of it from that aspect really helped. He also said to make sure ball placement is under my left eye because that is the lowest point in the swing if I don't push or pull. Playing the ball back requires hitting the ball before the bottom of the swing which can lead to a more "chopping" shot. Anyway, give it a whirl.

I played with one of our club pro's last weekend. I discussed the same exact issue....right hand sometimes going berserk on chips, sand shots, and especially putts. He said the trick is to keep the pressure in both hands the same for any of those shots. Thinking of it from that aspect really helped. He also said to make sure ball placement is under my left eye because that is the lowest point in the swing if I don't push or pull. Playing the ball back requires hitting the ball before the bottom of the swing which can lead to a more "chopping" shot. Anyway, give it a whirl.

Yes, I've noticed that grip pressure is more important now then it was before. The pressure needs to stay the same but as I've found for me, a tad tighter then normal. My right hand has a tendency to jerk during the stroke if pressure is too light. The ball more forward, as in just forward of center seems to help the chip/putting stroke. Allows me to be smoother as I hit the shot.

I'm not a bad chipper/putter by any means, but it now takes more practice. I average about 29 putts per round. My up and down from 20 yards and in pitching and chipping is above normal and nothing to feel bad about. Unless my hand decides to jerk on a chip.....then I'm screwed.

Yes, I've noticed that grip pressure is more important now then it was before. The pressure needs to stay the same but as I've found for me, a tad tighter then normal. My right hand has a tendency to jerk during the stroke if pressure is too light. The ball more forward, as in just forward of center seems to help the chip/putting stroke. Allows me to be smoother as I hit the shot.

I'm not a bad chipper/putter by any means, but it now takes more practice. I average about 29 putts per round. My up and down from 20 yards and in pitching and chipping is above normal and nothing to feel bad about. Unless my hand decides to jerk on a chip.....then I'm screwed.

Same for me....somewhat lighter grip pressure is best. If you watch the pro's chip, they look smooth, relaxed, which to me translates to lower grip pressure than normal. The pro I played with said the hard part is to not increase pressure at the very last millisecond before hitting the ball. His thought process is to picture catching a baby bird in flight as your hands pass by the ball.

I’ve been a great chipper for years, but one round about 4 months ago just randomly I shanked a really easy chip. Felt hideous of course, but I just moved on thinking “huh, that was weird, that’s never happened before “. No big deal, until a few holes later...face a similar chip, shank it again. OK, what the hell is this? By the end of the round, I had the full-on chip shanks. I went and hit hundreds of chips on the range, most were fine (but a few shanks). Warmed up before my next round. Only 1 shank. Got on the course and shanked the 1st one. You know the rest.

Now, I discovered a swing plane issue and a fix for it, and applied it to chipping and shanks are gone! Yay!

But I thought back on this and realized that I had the pitch shanks a while back but decided it was the mats I was hitting off of that day. Nope. It wasn’t. Turns out (again) that I have a swing plane fault that I’m working hard to correct.

Anyway, I say all of this to tell you that for me at least, it was about 98% mechanical, AND, it wasn’t the surface I was hitting off of. A good shot is a good shot, Bermuda or Bent or Zoysia etc. I personally wouldn’t just assume that it is mental and unfamiliar grass. Just my $0.02.

I think people overlook the impact of differing turf and soil conditions on all of this. As the OP stated, this all started because he was playing on some exceptional and unconventional turf conditions - overseeded bermuda.

I must admit I've never seen overseeded bermuda - rye was always more common where I lived.

In any event, as someone who grew up playing rock hard conditions on bluegrass out west, moved to the south and played on bermuda, now playing soggy conditions in the mid-atlantic, that change in the turf and soil can cause all kinds of problems.

Seems like I have to relearn how to play around the greens every time I move.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge