Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

Managed to get out for nine holes yesterday even though temps were in the 40's. I am not a cold weather golfer but I did pick up some clothes from the PGA store and I am now a vest lover. I don't like to feel restricted and the vest with long sleeves underneath worked great!

One of my league buddies was already out and saw me pull in so he came back so we could play together. This was great but I literally got out of the car and went to hole #1 which is never good. I sit at a desk all day and am an old man at 43. Anyways, I hit a perfect iron and then another to 10' on a very difficult par 4 and lip the birdie out. Second hole perfect 5 iron then suck an 8 iron to 1'for birdie. I was feeling pretty good. Had the draw swing firing on all cylinders. From that point I lost the perfect contact and was hitting a straight ball but managed it. Ended up with a 38 which was disappointing but considering the conditions with no warm up, I was happy. It showed more stuff I need to work on with the skytrak. Hoping to play another 9 tonight!

Rich,

That's awesome you got her out playing! Thanks for sharing. I tried hard, but my two have resisted. Now I am just waiting till they figure it out on their own that golf is cool!

Ella is the kind of girl that is just super content wherever she is. Its great but it also means she does not have the competitive drive. She is highly motivated to go to college though and I told her she might be able to get a golf scholarship if she works hard enough at her game and has good grades. She started last year and I never made her do anything. This year was the same, she does not really like practice and I would not make her. This summer she got lazy on me so I told her she has to do something other than sit around and she wanted to practice golf. We worked really hard leading up to her last PGA junior match and it paid off. It was cool for her to see how all the practice impacted her game. She has a friend that will play on the team with her and they are motivating each other now and they both loved hitting with the Sky Trak so they want to come down all winter to practice. We have been working hard the last couple weeks and it showed last night in Ella's game. Best ball striking by far and she was excited.

As for me, my goal was to hit sub 6.0 handicap but I am running out of time. My buddies and I are hoping to play all day saturday. I am trending at 6.2 now. I think with 36 good holes I can break 6. The plan is to set-up skytrak on friday after work and just do some light practice and then again on saturday morning since the range is closed. If I can shoot mid 70's both rounds I should do it. I like to simulate pressure on my game as much as possible so tournaments don't some as a shock. This is about as much pressure as I can do because it might be the last time I get to play. I might get 9 in on thursday so if we only play 27 saturday I still get 2 full rounds counted towards my handicap. Exciting stuff.

your daughter has a wonderful swing and you're in great hands. Was recently in wisconson a couple months back and your state have a wealth of GREAT GREAT golf courses.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Well the Scotty is leaving as fast as it came lol. I have been putting great lately and missed a few today so back to the Mullen.

One thing I am learning is that I always played the ball forward with my ott move and that does not work as well with the new move. If I play it too far forward now all sorts of bad things happen. My best contact with my 8 iron is having the front of the ball in the middle of my stance compared to before where the back of the ball was in the middle. It's 46 degrees and I was hitting high draws with my 8 iron 165 which is just crazy to me.

The days are short so only time for nine tonight but shot 2 over 37. Missed some putts I should have made but did have a chip in. I think once I get my ball position dialed in I will really start scoring. Saturday looks like the last day of decent weather and my buddies and I will hopefully get a few rounds in.

Well last day playing outside and I sucked. Played 27 holes and played a decent last nine holes but the new swing was off. I just never felt comfortable at all. Of course it was low 40’s outside so that did not help. I plan on getting on the SkyTrak tomorrow. Good reminder today that it’s going to take time to get this change down. Handicap ended at 6.2 for the year so pretty massive improvement for the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the three Super Speed training shafts. I am going to start using them. My driver swing speed is 105 according to the SSR and 100 average according to Skytrak. When I got fit on trackman it had me at 100 also. My ball speed is about 146. I feel I have my swing grooved enough were this won't hurt me. The big reason I am doing this is my home course has a lot of 250 yard carry trouble. I can make it if I stripe it but ya know... Hopefully I can add 10 yards of carry before april. I have a desk job and its winter so at the least, it will get my heart rate up. I do no other exercising besides golf (I know that's sad). I will try to do 2 week ball speed updates!

Thought it would be cool to show some comparison vids. The top one is from July before seeing Dan. The bottom one is from today and I am so sorry for the flickering:

July (before Dan)

[media=]

[/media]

Current (AD-After Dan)

[media=]

[/media]

Looks like the impact position is improving - keep it up.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That looks really solid in slow mo. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Another solid weekend of practice. Ella and I put in about 9 hours. My big focus right now is 50-150 yards. I think I finally have ball position figured out. Really was very consistent and did not have one horrible shot all weekend. Swing feels natural. My iron distances keep getting longer. My PW is now 150 yards consistently which worries me slightly. I am playing ap3's and I think the extra offset is hurting as I am having a hard time with over rotating the clubface. I think I will get a ap2 to test. I would prefer some weaker lofts. I also found I have short arms when measuring my wrist to floor so would order them 1/4" long. Not sure if that would make much difference or not but I would like less offset and weaker lofts.

Ella has a bad chicken wing problem and her arms never got synced up with her body. She had a lesson from her coach and we worked on getting her weight to her right side and syncing up better. Huge progress. She has never hit the ball this well. She consistently hit just left of target which is new. Her consistency was light years better as well. We got a long week of practice with the holiday coming up and will work on her chicken wing which I think will drastically increase her speed through impact.

Here is a little closest to the pin competition we did at the end:

[media=]

[/media]

Another solid weekend of practice. Ella and I put in about 9 hours. My big focus right now is 50-150 yards. I think I finally have ball position figured out. Really was very consistent and did not have one horrible shot all weekend. Swing feels natural. My iron distances keep getting longer. My PW is now 150 yards consistently which worries me slightly. I am playing ap3's and I think the extra offset is hurting as I am having a hard time with over rotating the clubface. I think I will get a ap2 to test. I would prefer some weaker lofts. I also found I have short arms when measuring my wrist to floor so would order them 1/4" long. Not sure if that would make much difference or not but I would like less offset and weaker lofts.

Ella has a bad chicken wing problem and her arms never got synced up with her body. She had a lesson from her coach and we worked on getting her weight to her right side and syncing up better. Huge progress. She has never hit the ball this well. She consistently hit just left of target which is new. Her consistency was light years better as well. We got a long week of practice with the holiday coming up and will work on her chicken wing which I think will drastically increase her speed through impact.

Here is a little closest to the pin competition we did at the end:

[media=]

[/media]

bad news rich. . . .

she is already better than u at practice swings :)

pretty impressive, if I had hair swirling around me and that hoody on I would have a swing like Charles Barkley.

PW at 150! well done. yea time to upgrade

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

:P I need to work on those practice swings! She has a full head of hair any 80's band would be jealous of for sure. Normally she puts it in a pony tail but forgot her hair tie. She is the opposite of me, natural inside swing and crazy flexible. That's why we brought in her coach. Its fun watching her get excited as she see's her hard work paying off. Its fun to be able to spend time with her like this. Great memories :)

I'm pretty spontaneous lol. Went up to GG and hit every players forged iron they had in weaker lofts than my AP3. It came down to Ping I210, AP2 and Titleist CB. I hit a lot of balls and found the AP2 to be slightly more forgiving. Absolutely loved the feel of all three. In the end there was only one choice. I will get distances this week and might possibly combo set.

Went from AMT black in my AP3's to AMT white in the AP2's. As mentioned in a previous post, the extra offset was adding a little draw and my iron distances are getting too long for the courses I play after the swing change. AP3 7 iron was 180 and AP2 I was getting 165-170 on the simulator.

My office at work looks more like a pro shop than an office lol.

Thanks Rich. Really enjoyed seeing that. I always worry about the Super Speed protocols messing with whatever you may be trying to work on via Dan in your case or whomever? How do you separate that? When it's SS just go for it and don't worry about swing mechanics?

Great question. They go hand in hand. The move I learned from Dan is grooved. Even if it wasn’t I don’t think this would have any adverse effect. When you swing this hard it really shows your flaws. My swing is anything but smooth and this is really helping me smooth things out if that makes sense.

On a side note, Ella just destroyed her previous long drive!! She is pumped

Here are a few pitches. Really working on better rotation with less arms.

That pitching motion look a little "quick." Other than that, solid. Impressive improvement!

That pitching motion look a little "quick." Other than that, solid. Impressive improvement!

That is a 90 yard PW for me. I think maybe a bit too much wrist hinge? I got a lot of respect for your opinion Obee so any input would be appreciated.

That is a 90 yard PW for me. I think maybe a bit too much wrist hinge? I got a lot of respect for your opinion Obee so any input would be appreciated.

90 yards is really not a "pitch" swing for most players.

It's a stock full or three-quarter swing with a lob wedge (or SW If you are older or have a slower swing speed).

Of course, you can hit as more of a pitch shot like you are attempting, but there really is no reason to do so the overwhelming majority of the time.

Right now, for my game, 90 is a full, (lowish) lob wedge to a middle-left or back-left pin and a SW to most right pins or any front pin.

I used to do full gap/lob wedge shots but my misses were catastrophic so I adopted this swing. I hit a 9i 110, PW 90, 50 degree 70 and 56 degree 50yards. Then I have a 1/2 swing I use with the 50 & 56 degree and that gets me into chipping range. I used this method and it greatly helped reduce my handicap but I am swinging better now so I am up for a different system like you mentioned. The beauty of this is that thin shots are still ok.

I have decided I am ready for my next lesson from Dan. I will be sending him a couple vids this weekend. Its been almost 2 months and I have put in an enormous amount of time "owning" this swing change. Inside lighting sucks for full swings but its the best I got. This winter is the worst I remember for this early in the season. I hate wisconsin lol. Can't wait to work on my next adjustment! I think going to see him in person will make the online lesson even better.

If anyone is interested in seeing our current set-up and a little skytrak demo, here is a vid:

So I ended up buying Ella the junior set of SuperSpeed clubs. Much better. We both hit our highs with the light club tonight. I hit 122mph 3 times in a row and she hit 91mph. We will do our two week progress video on Saturday. I am trying not to get excited. I bought her a new Ping Prodi G Driver but it won't be here in time. She did get a new putter though. Her long drive is 143 and mine is 287. Can we beat them on Saturday?

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won