1-iron for a youth

BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,181 ✭✭
My son's 13, about 5'5". He wants a 1-iron. Where would one acquire such a thing?
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Ping G400 5-wood
Taylormade Spider blade
Srixon Z Star
IPA

Comments

• CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,951 ✭✭
    Older clubs on Ebay. Lots of options
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,124 ✭✭
    edited Nov 19, 2018 #3
    A 3 iron today will be like the loft of a 1 iron from yesteryear.
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,181 ✭✭
    Haha! All good answers. Thanks guys. I think this kid could hit a zero-iron. He’s an exceptional ball striker. Me, on the other hand...
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,811 ✭✭
    It’s not about hot good they can hit it. Almost zero chance a 13 year has enough speed to hit a 1 iron high enough without adding loft at impact, which teaches bad habits and defeats the purpose. Most shouldn’t be playing a 3 iron
    leezer99 wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

It's not about hot good they can hit it. Almost zero chance a 13 year has enough speed to hit a 1 iron high enough without adding loft at impact, which teaches bad habits and defeats the purpose. Most shouldn't be playing a 3 iron

iTeach - what are the major influencers of ball height or is it strictly swing speed? From what I understand most pros average around 30 - 33 yards at apex. Anything you recommend to hit those moon shots like JDay?

Speed, spin loft, and contact

Won’t hit moonball long irons unless you have speed like Rory, Day, etc. Optimal launch and spin numbers results in a 6 iron only going 75’ high or so at 80mph. Rory and the high speed guys can hit 6 irons 140+’ high. It’s even more skewed with a 3 iron let alone a 1 iron
    Well, he's hitting his driver past 3 bills now, in competition...He's 2 clubs longer than I am, and he's playing little US Kids irons. Speed isn't his problem. Paying to reshaft his kiddie irons with stiffer shafts is the problem.
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,124 ✭✭
    edited Nov 20, 2018 #8

Well, he's hitting his driver past 3 bills now, in competition...He's 2 clubs longer than I am, and he's playing little US Kids irons. Speed isn't his problem. Paying to reshaft his kiddie irons with stiffer shafts is the problem.

What is his swing speed?

I call complete BS. I am around some of the best junior golfers in the country and they aren't driving it over 300. We are talking about elite athletes as well into their late teen years. I won't say there is no way, but it is highly unlikely a 90 lb 13 year old can generate the 115 mph swing speed to drive the ball 300 yards.

Please post swing and post the numbers from Trackman/Flightscope and I will eat my own words.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭
    5’ 5” 13 year old hitting the driver 300+??

Please, Please, post a swing video so we can see this prodigy in action. Sounds like something to behold.

As far as the clubs go. You certainly shouldn’t bother to reshaft the kiddie clubs. At 5’ 5” and a 110+ mph driver speed he should be using men’s standard clubs about a 1/2 inch under standard length and probably a degree or two flat.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

Well I teach guys swinging 125-130 mph and none swing fast enough to hit a 1 iron at a playable trajectory. In fact none of them even carry a 2 iron. I’m talking guys flying a blade 3 iron 250-260 yards and going 270+. There’s no way your son has the speed to play a 1 iron.
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,944 ✭✭
    I played a 1 iron in high school. My nickname on the team was Ace. It was an old Hogan Apex Grind 1 iron. Don't listen to the arm chair QBs. If he wants one, get him one.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 870 ✭✭
    edited Nov 20, 2018 #12

My son's 13, about 5'5". He wants a 1-iron. Where would one acquire such a thing?

please be a responsible parent and talk him out of this:)
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    g400 15.5* | tensei white 80tx
    p790 3i | steelfiber 95x
    p790 4i | steelfiber 110x
    p770 5-pw | kbs tour flt 130x
    sm6 52*8, 56*8, 60*4 | s400 ti 132x
    columbus
    tour velvet | chrome soft

ckay wrote:

I played a 1 iron in high school. My nickname on the team was Ace. It was an old Hogan Apex Grind 1 iron. Don't listen to the arm chair QBs. If he wants one, get him one.

Except that an old 1 iron is closer to a modern day 3 iron and the old ball spun WAY more. It was 15-16*
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    when he said "3 bills", perhaps he was referring to 300 Australian (around 220 US)?
  • zzyzxx33zzyzxx33 Members Posts: 1,153 ✭✭
    I say get him an old Eye 2 1 iron. He can use it to learn how to learn to hit a stinger like Tiger did.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,927 ClubWRX
    My 8 yr old asked for a GAPR 2 iron and I almost punched him.
    ckay wrote:

Yeah - golf is supposed to be fun. I once had a cast GI MacGregor set with a 2 iron. It was a good club, good set. I suck.

And, he's not bombing a US Kids driver. He games an M2 w adult R shaft (way too wobbly - changing that one out).
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,951 ✭✭

ckay wrote:

Yeah - golf is supposed to be fun. I once had a cast GI MacGregor set with a 2 iron. It was a good club, good set. I suck.

And, he's not bombing a US Kids driver. He games an M2 w adult R shaft (way too wobbly - changing that one out).

Chang his bag, if he could hit the golf balls like you said, he can certainly be playing a shorter set of adult golf clubs.

Utility irons will be a good replacement for the 1 iron, since you couldn't get pass the 3 iron in the modern set of irons, Just get the utility irons for him with appropriate loft to replace the 2 and the 1 irons.
    edited Nov 20, 2018 #19
    iteachgolf wrote:

ckay wrote:

Except that an old 1 iron is closer to a modern day 3 iron and the old ball spun WAY more. It was 15-16*

Yes that is the case, but I didn't know this was a conversation about today's 1 iron vs. any 1 iron.

In either case, if he wants one, get him one!
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X

WITB Link
    ...and, maybe he's not hitting the M2 for a while. During my lunch break a few minutes ago he called me and said, "Dad. I have a serous problem." Seems he broke the head of his M2 today on the course or range. It appears to be about a 1" crack across the carbon fiber crown near the hosel. He's had it about a year so maybe they'll replace it(?)
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 792 ✭✭
    Gotta love Golfwrx
    Clubs are fluid

...and, maybe he's not hitting the M2 for a while. During my lunch break a few minutes ago he called me and said, "Dad. I have a serous problem." Seems he broke the head of his M2 today on the course or range. It appears to be about a 1" crack across the carbon fiber crown near the hosel. He's had it about a year so maybe they'll replace it(?)

Yes they likely will.

On that note, let's see a quick swing vid of your son. Or I guess we can just assume you started drinking a bit early today and all is forgiven.
  • GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 57 ✭✭
    My son is 14 just got him. Pxg 2 iron. Fitter was great. Found the rrihjr shaft for him, he stripes it. Helps him hit tight fairways

I would try to see a pxg fitter. Great experience
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 842 ✭✭
    I haven’t seen a 1 iron in a bag of a player ina long time

Probally at least 8 guys at my school carried tmb 2 irons and about 1/2 off them didn’t have the speed or ability to consisntly hit those . You’re 13 year old definilty doesn’t

But everyone sees them on tv and thinks they need to be playing one

Probally at least 8 guys at my school carried tmb 2 irons and about 1/2 off them didn’t have the speed or ability to consisntly hit those . You’re 13 year old definilty doesn’t

Cameron Champ doesnt even carry a 1 iron and he sucks!!!
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,644 ClubWRX
    kekoa wrote:

Cameron Champ doesnt even carry a 1 iron and he sucks!!!

I bet he would if he had higher swing speed though.
    A golfer wants to try a 1 iron, I don’t get what the big deal is here. Does it make you guys feel that much better to put somebody down for wanting to try a club?
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X

WITB Link
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 12,078 ✭✭
    I'd let my Big Bertha gold or eye 2 one iron go for a fair price
    Ping G400 LST 11* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* GD AD BB 6s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 829 ✭✭
    The answer to the original question is.

Look on ebay for a used 1 iron. Buy it, let him try it and get it out of his system.
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,105 ✭✭
    sandtrap wrote:

The answer to the original question is.

Look on ebay for a used 1 iron. Buy it, let him try it and get it out of his system.

Seems too obvious.

5’ 5” 13 year old hitting the driver 300+??

Please, Please, post a swing video so we can see this prodigy in action. Sounds like something to behold.

As far as the clubs go. You certainly shouldn’t bother to reshaft the kiddie clubs. At 5’ 5” and a 110+ mph driver speed he should be using men’s standard clubs about a 1/2 inch under standard length and probably a degree or two flat.

He swings mid to upper 90s with maybe a max of 100 mph which is good for a 13 year old.
This discussion has been closed.