2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Who mills Byron Morgan heads

golfgolfguru

Heavy milling reduces the energy transfer of the putter into the ball. So deeper wider milling or groves for that matter feel "soft" where very shallow or tightly spaced groves feel hard. Its not that hard to reverse engineer a putter and make a damn near identical head. I do cad design and cnc mill and could produce any of the milled putters out there.

If I send you a head, can you replicate it with some minor changes? Changes like: different cavity shape? Different top line thickness? Total finished weight?

Sure, it will cost about $25K to program it.

Didnt know you offered as well. Ill pass on your offer.

LMAO

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is partially why I went with slighter for my custom. Completely Handmade with dozens of progress pics along the way. I could justify the price considering all the handwork put into it.

Not just smoothing some rough edges.

Hand made like on a Bridgeport? Or when you say handmade you mean the CNC'ing is done by him in house?

Byron has always offered handmades . They're unreal. Your cost and turnaround time goes up, but you can get a true handmade putter from him.

I'm not an expert. A few pics he sent me I'll post below.

Here is one of my hand made Byrons. One of four he made at the time - crazy good milling (sorry about the old photos).

Rob

It hasn't been brought up yet, so I'll breach the dam.

I know opinions are mixed about Tyson Lamb, but we can give the man some credit for having his hands on every piece and keeping it all in-house. Tyson is one of the (very) few putter makers who control the entire process. Availability, pricing, and marketing issues with him are a separate conversation — but we can at least send Tyson some props for keeping his putter making process fully integrated.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I know opinions are mixed about Tyson Lamb, but we can give the man some credit for having his hands on every piece and keeping it all in-house. Tyson is one of the (very) few putter makers who control the entire process. Availability, pricing, and marketing issues with him are a separate conversation — but we can at least send Tyson some props for keeping his putter making process fully integrated.

I'm not a fan of Lamb's at all, but that (being involved in almost every process) is one of the reasons I do go with my maker of choice, Lajosi. Everything is in house as much as possible, down to making his own damascus. That is something that I do personally put some value in when I'm buying "luxury" goods. Also one of the reasons I choose Rolex as my luxury watch brand of choice, much to the dismay of some of my mechanical watch collecting friends. They also control/make/manufacture as much of the product in house as possible, down to making their own gold in house. That type of stuff is cool (to me)....not only making the final product, but controlling (as much as possible) the WAY that product is made.

I knew when I ordered that Byron received rough heads from the milling shop and everything else on my order was done in-house.

For me that was fine, others may not see it the same way. There are very few makers who maintain 100% control of all of their product, and this produces some advantages and disadvantages, all to be debated by both sides.

Let the finished product speak for itself.

It doesn’t always work out that way. There have been some truly excellent milled putters that went away because they didn’t have the right people speaking FOR them

So we are talking about who pushes the button on the machine?

Alot more to it than pushing buttons. Thats like saying a formula one driver just turns a wheel.

That was a serious question. If someone develops a CAD file, sources the material, etc. and then does all the finishing after the head is cut, how much “human element” is involved in the CNC milling process? I have no idea. I would love to learn.

Alot more to it than pushing buttons. Thats like saying a formula one driver just turns a wheel.

Once in the CNC machine, it is all about pushing a botton.

Unlike a Bridgeport.....

It doesn't eliminate the fact the final product has to be hand tweaked to achieve the desired effect.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

You mean trinket making process fully integrated. Putters? Hahahaha!

Sorry, but that was an easy layup.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

Unlike a Bridgeport.....

It doesn't eliminate the fact the final product has to be hand tweaked to achieve the desired effect.

How do you think it makes it to the "cnc machine" alot of work goes into it to just be able to push a button at the end.

Engineer, machinist, tig welder, assembler, janitor at Mack Made Workshop.

This thread is partially why I went with slighter for my custom. Completely Handmade with dozens of progress pics along the way. I could justify the price considering all the handwork put into it.

Hand made like on a Bridgeport? Or when you say handmade you mean the CNC'ing is done by him in house?

Byron has always offered handmades . They're unreal. Your cost and turnaround time goes up, but you can get a true handmade putter from him.

I'm not an expert. A few pics he sent me I'll post below.

Here is one of my hand made Byrons. One of four he made at the time - crazy good milling (sorry about the old photos).

Rob

A beauty Rob.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

If you start poking around on a search engine it becomes clear that there are a lot of contractors out there that will take a CAD project and turn it into a 3D DXF file for a CNC mill. Someone threw the number out at $25,000 earlier in the thread, but I'm guessing that was facetious.

Wonder what it would really cost? I'm tempted to draw up a design and submit it for a bid out of curiosity. Too bad it has been a million years since I've tried my hand with CAD software.

The quotes I have recieved from companies to make one of my designs has been around 1200-1400$. That includes material, setting up the machine and then of course mill it. Around 100$ discount per piece if I would order 5.

It costs alot but its not super crazy expensive. I would go my own design 10 out of 10 instead of a tour Scotty if I would be okey to spend that kind of money.

The quotes I have recieved from companies to make one of my designs has been around 1200-1400$. That includes material, setting up the machine and then of course mill it. Around 100$ discount per piece if I would order 5.

It costs alot but its not super crazy expensive. I would go my own design 10 out of 10 instead of a tour Scotty if I would be okey to spend that kind of money.

So, the more you order the cheaper it gets?

Unlike a Bridgeport.....

How do you think it makes it to the "cnc machine" alot of work goes into it to just be able to push a button at the end.

CAD, program, CNC.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Yeah, at high volume it gets very reasonable.

Yeah, at high volume it gets very reasonable.

Makes sense. Thanks!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

If you start poking around on a search engine it becomes clear that there are a lot of contractors out there that will take a CAD project and turn it into a 3D DXF file for a CNC mill. Someone threw the number out at $25,000 earlier in the thread, but I'm guessing that was facetious.

Wonder what it would really cost? I'm tempted to draw up a design and submit it for a bid out of curiosity. Too bad it has been a million years since I've tried my hand with CAD software.

It would probably be a couple grand if you could get a machine shop to do just one and you had the CAD file.

It would probably be a couple grand if you could get a machine shop to do just one and you had the CAD file.

I don't think it would cost that much, especially if you do the CAD/CAM prep.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

For every story like that, there are others who had a different experience with Slighter. I put in an order for a custom putter a few years back (and paid in full up front) and he "forgot" to make it. As the due date approached, I contacted him and asked about the status, and he had totally dropped the ball on it. He tried to get me to accept a different putter that he had on hand, and I declined. In the end I went elsewhere. It was incredibly disappointing. I roll my eyes whenever I see a Slighter testimonial. I've had customs from Byron, Lamont and Lajosi. I've gotten in-progress pics and updates from Lamont and Kari, but never on any of the Byrons. All three were really good to deal with and make high-quality products.

That's too bad, you've had literally the only bad experience with Tom i've ever heard of. I actually have one of the last putters he worked on before retirement. Nothing but a stand up guy, sorry your experience wasn't a good one, but it's the only bad one I've ever heard of.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

I don't think it would cost that much, especially if you do the CAD/CAM prep.

Could be but I know the fixture for a putter head can be a pain in the butt if you don't do long runs and have tooling made.

Just from the standpoint of getting a machine shop to run one putter head I think you're going to pay through the nose, especially when they find out there's no chance and doing a big batch. Some of the OEMs have specific extrusions made to cut down on the machine time so you're going to be doing a lot of cutting if you're going to start with a big chunk of stainless.

The problem with only doing one is the finish will be sub par. It takes time and several different configurations of bit feed speed, direction, rpm and then the order of operations to get a very nice finish. Even tho it is magical computer stuff, it is still trial and error to dial in a mirror finish.

Engineer, machinist, tig welder, assembler, janitor at Mack Made Workshop.

I wasn't even considering finishing, I was just thinking a rough head that would take some hand finishing. I had some inserts cut and faces milled in the past and to get the texture I wanted on the face wasn't hard but it did take a couple scrap pieces first to get the speed and feed we were looking for on the fly cutter.

Securing it in a fixture was actually the toughest part of everything for the machinist I was working with.

Here are some scenarios with which my company has experience:

Design

1. Some small companies are not vertical organizations. Meaning they are composed of business people or sales people. They have no engineering or manufacturing. They provide us a "napkin" drawing, a graphic artist file, or even a putter head to copy(sometimes shaft and all). That's their design. Our engineer will then create a file which will become the OEM's property. They can pay us for the design and send it to Asia to be made if they so desire. Regardless our design engineer will work with an in-house manufacturing engineer to make sure the design has the best possible COGs. Sometimes design engineers place an irrelevant to function or eye dimension which can be altered VERY slighty. This can lower machine time without compromising the final design. Many machine shops do no engineering/ design.

2. Larger companies with their own R&D will provide a design. A basic machine shop will typically machine it to spec, no questions asked. We however will maximize the design via manufacturing engineering/ design engineering to lower COGS. Nearly always they are open to our ideas. Rarely do they ignore our input. Note, a lower COGs doesn't mean a lower margin for us. Rather we are left with a happier customer.

3. A company will approach us to design basic heads (Dalehead etc) because they have a technology with a niche. An example I will face in a meeting next week is a company with IP on an insert material. That will be their feature and benefit. They want basic heads. The thought is a dalehead with their insert becomes leapfrog technology. They will pay us for design and prototyping and manufacturing.

MANUFACTURING

1. We can mill from what this thread is calling a block. 303 is easy to machine for stainless. There are materials easier to machine than SS like aluminum. It is softer. Think of some of the big headed putters, poster child is Jack's Response from 86 Masters, aluminum eliminates some issues like weight or machine time. However it may introduce other issues like durability, too light, etc.#tradeoffs

2. A fixture is made to machine the back. Some companies want to mill the face. Others don't. They may handmill in-house but leave complex geometries to our CNC. Some just want to get a finished product in the door. Although we wont handstamp or paint fill.

3. Another option is to machine a SS putter with sharp bumpers for example. On my previous post, look at the 3D file attached, make sure your adobe is updated to view. The bumpers are sharper than some would like. The OEM may hand polish those down, like the restored pics I posted demonstrates. Also, the OEM may choose to hand polish the mill marks from putter body. They may want us to do it.

4. The biggest decision for some is re: the hosel. Tons of machine time goes to "hogging out" a block the size needed for the hosel and head to be one piece. The most cost effective way is to make the head and hosel separately. They attach the hosel afterwards. Welding and leaving the raw weld is cool looking. The weld can also be polished to look smooth.

5. A very cost effective way is to cast the rough head to a close tolerance and simply mill to finish. We don't create the casting. A foundry does. The castings could also be designed in a way that the "chassis" is the same for multiple heads. The milling starts on the same chassis but multiple putterheads are produced from a single casting style. Castings are expensive. Typically foundries aren't in love with working with an OEM with a LOW volume putter company.

6. Volume only decreases cost for us because you can spread out program and setup time to a larger number of heads. After the first few no price break is achieved based on volume. Machine time is machine time.

To end my participation in this thread, I'm going to say my experience with Byron Morgan has been nothing but exquisite.

Byron is a great gent.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Lots of good info in this thread I'd also add that some of the larger companies as well as a few of the smaller ones use raw forgings that are in the very basic shape of a putter and mill from that piece instead of starting with a block. This is especially common on one piece plumbers neck hosel putters. It's a way to save money on material costs and machine time.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

3. A company will approach us to design basic heads (Dalehead etc) because they have a technology with a niche. An example I will face in a meeting next week is a company with IP on an insert material. That will be their feature and benefit. They want basic heads. The thought is a dalehead with their insert becomes leapfrog technology.

If you were to mill a 303 copy of a Dalehead, for a guy who walks in off the street what would that cost? Let`s make it easier, and leave of the hosel as well.

3. A company will approach us to design basic heads (Dalehead etc) because they have a technology with a niche. An example I will face in a meeting next week is a company with IP on an insert material. That will be their feature and benefit. They want basic heads. The thought is a dalehead with their insert becomes leapfrog technology.

If you were to mill a 303 copy of a Dalehead, for a guy who walks in off the street what would that cost? Let`s make it easier, and leave of the hosel as well.

Without considering what the market would tolerate he could probably get away with selling it for $150 and make money. But that's looking at it as mostly just machining and material cost because all the design and setup costs have been absorbed by other projects.