2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Srixon's new Z785 driver

GolfWRX_Spotted

Just put a Srixon tip on my Xtorsion Black Mamba...785 head with that shaft looks mean!

Did anybody get the 785 with the Atmos Black? I have one lying around and debating on putting a Srixon tip on it or a Ping tip...

I have the F85 with Atmos Black 8TX and it's filthy. Really makes me want to put a 7TX in the driver. Have a Speeder Evo IV in it now that's putting it out there though

Hmmm...I've got an Evo II thats just sitting around too. Guess I need to order a few more tips.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hit mine on the range today...... super windy with crazy gusts that were pushing me around during my swing. So it wasnt ideal conditions. But it seemed pretty good and might beat out the LST. The srixon had a more penetrating ball flight and just wanted to fly straight. And it wasn't effected by the wind as much. Felt like I didn't have to go after it either. Sounds good, feels good, looks absolutely awesome!!! The real test will be out on the course however. The range has an uphill bank starting around 235 yard mark so I can't tell which would roll out more. And I can't rely on dependable results with range balls.

I have a tensei PO 70 tx for my LST on the way also. That way I can compare apples to apples. If it beats out the LST, I might be on the hunt for a g400 max head to compare to the z785.

This driver is definitely a winner. I'm returning mine however, because I'm pretty sure they tipped the shaft. I had a fitting this weekend and the fitter who was a former Mackenzie tour player even commented how stiff the shaft felt. Went and hit some other X flexes and they were nowhere as stiff feeling as the one I got was.

This driver is definitely a winner. I'm returning mine however, because I'm pretty sure they tipped the shaft. I had a fitting this weekend and the fitter who was a former Mackenzie tour player even commented how stiff the shaft felt. Went and hit some other X flexes and they were nowhere as stiff feeling as the one I got was.

Did you try it with more than 1 shaft? I tried it with the EF Blue first and it was a disaster for me, but I liked the clubhead so I gave it another go with the Yellow and it was night and day. I shafted up my Black Mamba the other day, but I don't have enough speed in this cold to make it work, so I may try it again in the spring.

Did you try it with more than 1 shaft? I tried it with the EF Blue first and it was a disaster for me, but I liked the clubhead so I gave it another go with the Yellow and it was night and day. I shafted up my Black Mamba the other day, but I don't have enough speed in this cold to make it work, so I may try it again in the spring.

Yup I tried it with the evenflow blue as well, which was horrible, too. I also tried with a Accra Tx465 M4 and M5 which were both less stiff feeling. Again... coming from a former pro who swings a lot of clubs.. he agreed with me the Pro Blue I had felt crazy stout. It's almost certainly tipped.

I ran in to this same issue with Taylormade last year. It seems you need to explicitly ask OEM's to not tip, even if they say they don't anymore. Plus, this head isn't heavy enough to warrant tipping. This is why I almost never bother to order from OEM's anymore... I'd rather go through my club fitter.

Yeah...... I have the pro orange 70tx and surprisingly, it feels softer than my hazrdus yellow 6.5 in my ping driver. You could always return your driver and just order another one LOL.

Excuse me sir... This is wrx.... We most certainly never ever claim a shaft is too stiff. Now if you claimed the shaft was too whippy after the tour player stated it was too stiff we would understand that. :(

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Excuse me sir... This is wrx.... We most certainly never ever claim a shaft is too stiff. Now if you claimed the shaft was too whippy after the tour player stated it was too stiff we would understand that. :(

lol well he even hit the thing, and he has even more speed than I do (I'm around 115 right now maxed out) and he still said it was too stout for his liking. He had 0% warm up up and casually pumped one out to 295 with it, too.

hit the z785 po 70 tx on the course today....... and I'm impressed. 30mph winds with gusts up to 50-60. I was going to cancel my round, but decided to go and give the new driver a real test. And it did extremely well! Maintained a boring/penetrating ball flight that wasn't affected too much. The flight wasn't really affected until the ball reached it's peak and started it's descent. Most of the shots went straight and then slowly drifted right or left depending on wind direction. My buddy was hitting low drives all day and I absolutely smashed him. I averaged 30-40 yards further. 2 ended up 80 yards further since I was able to reach the downslope and take advantage of the downhill roll. Put a bad swing on one that was off the toe and it drew left. It ended up a few yards into the left rough and about 15 yards shorter than the second ball that I pured right down the fairway. So the mishit wasn't too punishing. Also, hit 1really terrible shot that was completely my fault. Hit it high right and the wind took it into someones backyard.

I have a ping g400 max PO 70tx on the way. I'll be comparing the G400max, LST, and z785 (all same shaft) side by side on my next outing.

Great results!

I am going to test the z785 with PO 60TX and 70TX sometime soon (at my local PGA SS) and am pumped. Heard a ton about this shaft and can't wait to try it.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

So I've officially returned both my Z785 drivers, but I'm definitely going to keep my eye out on BST or eBay or used ones next year. I was getting REALLY good ball speeds on miss hits with this head. I made poo poo contact with a swing around 115mph and still got 310 total on GCQ using a ACCRA Zx465.

My only complaint was that the SW of this club tended to feel lighter than I measured. I ordered my shaft cut down .75'' and it came in stock swinging around C8 to C9. I added lead tape and it measured to D1, but honestly it still felt too light. Perhaps the Pro Blue shaft is slightly CB'ed? My M2 played at D1 and felt much better, but I had a Speeder 661 Evo II in there which is a bit more tip heavy. Even putting in standard 45'' shafts in there, it still felt just a touch too light with lead tape added.

Surprisingly low spin and forgiving, really loved this head overall. Just not worth keeping for $500 right now. Will be really curious how it stands up to G410, F9, M5/M6 and whatever Callaway pumps out. Going to be another good year for drivers I think.

hit the z785 po 70 tx on the course today....... and I'm impressed. 30mph winds with gusts up to 50-60. I was going to cancel my round, but decided to go and give the new driver a real test. And it did extremely well! Maintained a boring/penetrating ball flight that wasn't affected too much. The flight wasn't really affected until the ball reached it's peak and started it's descent. Most of the shots went straight and then slowly drifted right or left depending on wind direction. My buddy was hitting low drives all day and I absolutely smashed him. I averaged 30-40 yards further. 2 ended up 80 yards further since I was able to reach the downslope and take advantage of the downhill roll. Put a bad swing on one that was off the toe and it drew left. It ended up a few yards into the left rough and about 15 yards shorter than the second ball that I pured right down the fairway. So the mishit wasn't too punishing. Also, hit 1really terrible shot that was completely my fault. Hit it high right and the wind took it into someones backyard.

I have a ping g400 max PO 70tx on the way. I'll be comparing the G400max, LST, and z785 (all same shaft) side by side on my next outing.

Hello any updates?

Hello any updates?

Had a crappy day on the range couple days ago so I can't really give a real good comparison. I didn't even attempt the the g400LST with the PO 70tx.

But, for the most part........ the g400max seemed to be more forgiving. I had a few misses with the max that carried further than my misses with the z785.

I'm hoping to get a round in either tomorrow or friday. I'll keep you posted.

Hello any updates?

ok........ so I hit both the max and z785 side by side today. Both with PO 70tx shafts at standard playing length and srixon z star xv balls. They are literally the exact same distance for me. Sometimes the max was 1-5 yards further and sometimes the z785 was 1-5 yards further. Conditions were perfect. 72 degrees, sunny, and no wind.

I'm pretty sure I will keep the z785 however. I'll give them a go one more round before I make a final decision. For me, the z785 had a little bit more of a penetrating ball flight and flew straighter. Definitely a "windy day" performer. The max def goes higher and rolls pretty well considering how high it flies. BUT........ the max had more side spin for me. The max will def be more punishing in the wind.

Hello any updates?

ok........ so I hit both the max and z785 side by side today. Both with PO 70tx shafts at standard playing length and srixon z star xv balls. They are literally the exact same distance for me. Sometimes the max was 1-5 yards further and sometimes the z785 was 1-5 yards further. Conditions were perfect. 72 degrees, sunny, and no wind.

I'm pretty sure I will keep the z785 however. I'll give them a go one more round before I make a final decision. For me, the z785 had a little bit more of a penetrating ball flight and flew straighter. Definitely a "windy day" performer. The max def goes higher and rolls pretty well considering how high it flies. BUT........ the max had more side spin for me. The max will def be more punishing in the wind.

I'm in almost the exact same position as you...

Current belief is that the Ping G400 LST and Ping G400 Max are two of the most forgiving drivers on the market. The ball "jumps" off the face well compared to it's peers and seems to fly straighter on average. Currently testing the following shafts in the Pings: Fujikura Atmos TS Black 6, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6, and Fujikura Speeder IV 661.

Picked up a Srixon Z785 with Mitsubishi Pro Orange 70. The ball jumps off quickly and has a "similar" feel and setup to the Ping G400LST w/Fujikura Atmos Black. Would like to also try the Mitsubishi Pro Orange in the Pings.

Has anyone tried changing/swapping out the back weight on the Z785..especially with a Mitsubishi Pro Orange which is counterbalanced? Took my weight off and it appears to be an 8 gram weight..curious how a heavier weight would affect feel and flight?

Hello any updates?

Did you notice one was more forgiving than the other on off center strikes?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Hello any updates?

Did you notice one was more forgiving than the other on off center strikes?

I honestly did NOT notice if one was more forgiving than the other on off center strikes. But I felt the off center strikes more in my hands with the max.

Pulled the trigger today and bought the 785 with the HC PX 6.0

I still have the 765 with the Miyazaki shaft and they are switchable.

Hopefully it doesn't snow again tonight for the 4th night in a row and keep the course closed.

I want to get out tomorrow and kick the ball around with this new one.

So are the shaft adapters the same between the 765 and 785? I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this.

Yes

Pulled the trigger today and bought the 785 with the HC PX 6.0

I still have the 765 with the Miyazaki shaft and they are switchable.

Hopefully it doesn't snow again tonight for the 4th night in a row and keep the course closed.

I want to get out tomorrow and kick the ball around with this new one.

So are the shaft adapters the same between the 765 and 785? I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this.

Yes

Same adapter from 45 series too. I hit the 10.5* standard setting 785 with HZRDUS Black 6.0 and 5.5 compared to the G400 Max stock regular shaft I believe, the Wilson Cortex stock Atmos Red stiff (weight set back too much spin ~3,000, didn't get a chance to adjust to low spin setting) , and the SLEEPER Cobra LTD Pro with stock regular flex Rogue Black won out on the sim. I'll have to go back to see if they have a 585 to test.

The Srixon felt okay, didn't like the feel of the G400 Max, the Cortex spun way too high but the driver does look awesome, and the LTD Pro really surprised me.

The simulator must have been "juiced" though. I normally avg 93-95 with driver, it had me consistently 100 ss topping out at 107 with 290 total yards. 260-70 seems to be my best real world total distance from my best swings with other drivers. Spin was 2,000 or too low sometimes. Bullets with loads of roll out even on miss hits. The one I hit 290 was perfect down the middle. Gonna have to test one of these babies on the course sometime. There seems to be a group of guys here that swear by the LTD Pro. Shiels' review was very positive but he said the sweet spot is high toe and teeing it higher yielded best results. Love the gloss black finish too.

Hit both the 585 and 785 (both with 60g - 6.0 shaft) and honestly couldn't see or feel much difference. To be honest, wasn't super impressed with either, however it could be the PX shaft I didn't like, but that is what they had available.

Even on my best hit I was probably 10-15 yards less carry than my Cobra F7+

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 12 gram weight and hit it today... it’s great. The club is really good. For some reason I agree with it more than my callaway. Hit it better and more consistent. McDowell was hitting his well in that shoot out a few weeks ago too.... for him. I’m not even sure I want to game this one, but it’s the one I hit the best over and over. All day. So I will.

• 3 weeks later...

How are you guys getting along with this driver long term?

I have been up and down with it, hitting a lot of overdraws with it. I actually went to the range and dropped the loft a half degree which opens up the face and it brought everything together for me. High low sinners with a baby draw. It really takes a lot of tinkering or a proper fitting to get it right. I am good for now. I am not interested in the TM or Callaway offerings. I am going to look at the Mizuno ST 190, but that is only because I am a sucker for their stuff.