2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Just got a new bag, so time for a new WITB!

Put a 2" extension in the Byron and a 15" winn counterbalance grip. I do it for all my putters now after years with a tank 1w. That got stolen and I couldn't go back to "normal" length/balance putters because my pace and comfort level never showed up.

I was just thinking yesterday about doing something like that, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to achieve similar balance with the head weight of the Byron. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the Tank Cruiser head is heavier than the Byron, though I haven't gotten around to looking up specs. I already have some shaft extensions, so it would be easy for me to do that, but I'm hesitant to mess with this Byron too much in case I want to sell it, though I guess it would be easy enough to reverse the build if I don't like it. I'm really liking the Super Stroke grip that came on the Tank, so if I went that route, I'd probably look for something like that. Time to do a little research...

I did play again with the Tank this morning, and saw some more really promising results on some tougher greens than what I putted on this weekend, so the idea of just keeping the cheap Odyssey and making some money back on the Byron has crossed my mind.

The tank is heavier however so is the superstroke counterbalance grip. Trust me, you’ll probably will like this option even better than the tank. A few of my friends have also tried. Give the same feel but not the same overall heft. I understand resale but I noticed you’ve already changed out the shaft? The extension can be easily removed and regripped if you want to sell.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a 2" extension in the Byron and a 15" winn counterbalance grip. I do it for all my putters now after years with a tank 1w. That got stolen and I couldn't go back to "normal" length/balance putters because my pace and comfort level never showed up.

I was just thinking yesterday about doing something like that, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to achieve similar balance with the head weight of the Byron. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the Tank Cruiser head is heavier than the Byron, though I haven't gotten around to looking up specs. I already have some shaft extensions, so it would be easy for me to do that, but I'm hesitant to mess with this Byron too much in case I want to sell it, though I guess it would be easy enough to reverse the build if I don't like it. I'm really liking the Super Stroke grip that came on the Tank, so if I went that route, I'd probably look for something like that. Time to do a little research...

I did play again with the Tank this morning, and saw some more really promising results on some tougher greens than what I putted on this weekend, so the idea of just keeping the cheap Odyssey and making some money back on the Byron has crossed my mind.

The tank is heavier however so is the superstroke counterbalance grip. Trust me, you'll probably will like this option even better than the tank. A few of my friends have also tried. Give the same feel but not the same overall heft. I understand resale but I noticed you've already changed out the shaft? The extension can be easily removed and regripped if you want to sell.

Looking at the specs of the Tank grip v. the 15" Winn grip, they're within 5g of each other, so I think that would still be too heavy. I'm also not a huge fan of the feel of Winn grips..

https://www.golfworks.com/super-stroke-odyssey-20-tank-cruiser-putter-grip/p/st0085/

https://www.golfworks.com/winn-15-pistol-belly-putter-grip/p/wn0112/

I wonder if it might make more sense to go with something like this and throw in one of the 20g Tour Lock Pro weights I have laying around into the butt end of it. That would get me to 105g, which seems like it would be a good weight to balance the 350g head, and would place the counterbalance weight above my hands, which seems like one of the things that's working for me with the Tank Cruiser.

https://www.golfworks.com/super-stroke-slim-lite-splash-17-belly-putter-grip/p/st0024/

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

The tank is heavier however so is the superstroke counterbalance grip. Trust me, you'll probably will like this option even better than the tank. A few of my friends have also tried. Give the same feel but not the same overall heft. I understand resale but I noticed you've already changed out the shaft? The extension can be easily removed and regripped if you want to sell.

Looking at the specs of the Tank grip v. the 15" Winn grip, they're within 5g of each other, so I think that would still be too heavy. I'm also not a huge fan of the feel of Winn grips..

https://www.golfworks.com/super-stroke-odyssey-20-tank-cruiser-putter-grip/p/st0085/

https://www.golfworks.com/winn-15-pistol-belly-putter-grip/p/wn0112/

I wonder if it might make more sense to go with something like this and throw in one of the 20g Tour Lock Pro weights I have laying around into the butt end of it. That would get me to 105g, which seems like it would be a good weight to balance the 350g head, and would place the counterbalance weight above my hands, which seems like one of the things that's working for me with the Tank Cruiser.

https://www.golfworks.com/super-stroke-slim-lite-splash-17-belly-putter-grip/p/st0024/

I’m opposite and can’t stand the superstroke grips. My current head is 360g with the 15” Winn and it’s sufficiently weighted and balanced for my preference and I like everything super heavy. 15” grip on 37” putter is about as long as I’d personally go. There are those black weight squares you could add to the cavity? But cleaner than lead tape. You could also use a tank grip and just take out the weight in the back or cut it in half. I’ve done that too.

Piretti Savona 

You have a point about the length -- the Tank grip is 15" and a grip two inches longer than that would probably look weird, and might not sit flush because of the taper of the shaft. I'm going to have to look into some options to see if there's a 13-15" grip that would be a good fit.

I probably won't do anything right away, while I play a few more rounds with the Tank and see if it continues to be as good as it has been in a small 36 hole sample size.

TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

It seems like I always need to have at least one spot in the bag where I'm experimenting, and right now, the 3 wood slot is where I'm messing around. I have the M2 Tour that was in the original post, and I also have a Tour Issue Epic SubZero that I picked up recently after hitting the head a few times in a simulator at a PGA Tour Superstore during a work trip to Atlanta a couple of months ago. I came across this one with a Kuro Kage Silver 80 TX for a pretty reasonable price. It had barely been used, and the shaft is one I'd been curious to try. It also has two 12 gram weights, which I was hoping would provide a good balance of low spin and forgiveness. I've played it a couple of times and once tested it side by side with the M2 tour during a solo round early one morning. I found that it seems to work best for me turned down a degree, and distance-wise, the two are the same. I'm looking for a little extra forgiveness, and the jury is still out on which one wins in that department. I'm currently using the SubZero to get a solid sample, including in a local tournament this coming weekend on a course where I know I'll be hitting it off the tee at least 3-4 times.

I also am in the process of converting my Byron into a counterbalanced putter. I put on a shaft extension and I ended up ordering one of the 15" Winn grips, as it seems like the best option for this conversion. I wanted to try a little different feel than the SuperStroke grip, as I feel like that grip will mute the feel of the Byron head. Once the grip gets here, I can fine tune the weighting to get the balance where I want it. I'm hoping with the additional length, the weight of the grip will work as is, but I might need to add a little extra weight on the lower end of the club.

The counterbalanced setup does seem to be giving me decent results so far. I've at least been starting it on my intended line most of the time. I have commitment issues when it comes to believing that my read is correct on short putts, so it hasn't totally fixed me, but I've made a bunch of putts in the 7-15' range over the few rounds I've played with the Tank Cruiser. I might experiment with a pencil/saw grip on putts from about 5' and in depending on how things go over the next few rounds, but overall, the longer counterbalanced putter seems to be a good fit for me.

A few pics of the Subzero:

Awesome setup. How is the bag working out? I am thinking about grabbing one for myself but I am worried about the weight and how much room there is for clubs, as online says its only a 7.75 inch opening.

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX / TSi3 20 - TPW 100TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM9 50.12F, 56.12D - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

Awesome setup. How is the bag working out? I am thinking about grabbing one for myself but I am worried about the weight and how much room there is for clubs, as online says its only a 7.75 inch opening.

I like the bag -- it's a little snug, but I usually haven't had any real issues getting clubs in and out. If you use oversize grips or have a bunch of head covers, it could be problematic, but it looks like you're like me and only have 3 head covers, assuming you use one for your putter, the smaller opening isn't a big deal. It's a really good walking bag, whether you carry or push, and it's pretty good on the back of a cart, too.

I extended and regripped the Byron, but I’m not sure if anything is going to be able to kick the Tank Cruiser out of the bag. I played in a tournament today and putted as well as I ever have in competition. I had 28 putts, hitting 11 GIR, and shot a decent number on a day where I cost myself strokes with 2 bad decisions and 2 really bad swings (resulting in a ball O.B. and a double on the 1st hole, 2 balls in the water, and another one into some weeds where I couldn’t get up & down. I made a bunch of putts, Including one from off the green for an eagle, and the only one I missed that I thought I should make was a 5-footer that I pulled slightly. And I had a couple of others that lipped out or burned edges, but the bottom line is that I’m starting it on my line and putting with some confidence, which is a nice change of pace.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on putting now that I have a larger sample size. I'm up to 14 rounds with the Tank Cruiser in the bag, and my putting has continued to be a strong point of my game in a way that it never has before for any extended period of time. It's especially been noticeable on short putts. This putter just seems really easy to align, and the balance of the putter seems to promote a more consistent stroke eliminating the tendency I have to snatch the putter back inside the line, which led to pulls and pushes (pulls, especially). The one area that remains a bit of a work in progress is on short downhill putts. The ones that you barely have to touch to get them to the hole, I still seem to have trouble picking the correct line, so that's the area that I still need to work on. I've messed around with the lengthened Byron on the putting mat I have at home, and took it out on the practice green one afternoon last week, and it seems like I'm more consistent with it than I was when it was a standard length putter, but I noticed that I was still seeing better results, especially on short putts, with the Odyssey. There's a pretty good chance I'm going to end up selling the Byron at this point. It's a really expensive backup.

It would be nice if my ball striking would come to the level of my putting, which is something I never thought I'd say. I've had some struggles lately with my iron game, mainly just directional misses. I think I've been trying to hit too many 100% shots instead of flighting the ball and/or taking one less club and hitting a 3/4 shot to get it the right distance. When I overswing, I often hit pulls. In a match this weekend, I shot 6 over for the day, and I was 5 over on just the par 3s, mainly because I hit pulls on two of them that put me in bad spots left of the green with no real chance to get up & down (some other poor execution resulted in doubles on both holes). I have about a week & a half coming up starting the middle of this week where I'm going to be traveling and I won't play during that time, and a little time away sometimes helps to break some of the bad habits that creep into my swing.

The 3 wood competition has ended, I think, with the M2 Tour with Rogue Silver 80x as the winner. I think the SubZero could be a contender with a different shaft, but I don't know that there would be a real performance difference to make the experimentation worth it.

• 5 months later...

The Tank Cruiser was really good for me for most of the summer, but toward the end of when I was able to play regularly, something got off kilter, and I just kind of lost it. I'm not sure what changed. Putting struggles are always a good excuse to buy an expensive new putter, obviously! I came across this one for sale, and I loved the finish, and I've always liked this kind of head shape, so I put in a bid and ended up getting it. I was a little unsure about how close to face-balanced it is (it probably has around 10-15 degrees of toe hang), but when you're already struggling, you're really not taking a huge risk if it doesn't work out. However, I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well it seems to fit my stroke of the moment. It's a bit of a heavier head (I think 360g) and something about it seems to help me to take it back without snatching it back inside the line, which is the starting point for a lot of my putting woes. Going from the harsh feel of the Odyssey back to the wonderful feel of a Byron has been a really nice change, too. On-course results so far have been really good. I've played 4 rounds with it, and my last round in California last week ended with what I think is my best ever 9 hole score (-3) on a course that I'd never seen before. That was made possible by making birdie putts of about 15, 7, 12 and 35 feet. It's still a honeymoon, but I like it a lot so far. I'm probably going to sell my DH89 soon.

As for the rest of the year, I didn't do all that much messing around with different clubs in the bag. Other than the 3 wood experiment and a short test of an M3 against my Epic SZ, the only other thing I've added this year is a couple of clubs to give me some flexibility on shorter courses, including the one that is the home course for the match play team that I play on locally. I generally forego an extra wedge to give myself more options at the top end of the bag with my 3 wood and driving iron, but on courses like our home course, I don't need that many tee options most of the time, and the area around the greens can leave some shots where some extra loft can be helpful, so I picked up a 62 degree M grind Vokey SM6, and another M2 Tour fairway wood, this one 18 degrees with a Rombax P95x in it. The 5 wood goes a little bit farther and quite a bit higher than the driving iron, so I can drop the 3w and driving iron in favor of the 5w and the lob wedge. It's also helpful on some longer courses where the driving iron might not be as useful, and some extra height and stopping ability can be helpful in trying to get to par 5s. I still stick with my 3w/DI setup most of the time, but I'm comfortable with all of the clubs, and it's good to have the additional options for different courses.

What Byron is that? I dig it.

Piretti Savona 

What Byron is that? I dig it.

Oh, I thought I’d mentioned that, but I guess not. It’s a B17. Probably my favorite head shape that he offers.

I really like reading other peoples what’s in the bag, especially when they go into detail about why they chose their set up. I really like how you have thought your way through your changes and have been very thorough on your testing of the 3wood and putters. Anything that you’re looking to change over the winter? Anything new coming out that peaks your interest?

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I really like reading other peoples what’s in the bag, especially when they go into detail about why they chose their set up. I really like how you have thought your way through your changes and have been very thorough on your testing of the 3wood and putters. Anything that you’re looking to change over the winter? Anything new coming out that peaks your interest?

Thanks--some might say I overthink things...

I've been really busy lately traveling a lot for work, and I feel like I'm out of the loop as far as upcoming releases go. I am interested to check out the Epic Flash when that comes out, based on the buzz from people who have hit it. Other than that, I don't really foresee any other changes. My irons aren't going anywhere, I don't think I can get much better with my driving iron, I'm happy with my fairways, and I feel like I've done my research there. My wedges are really an extension of my irons, and I don't see any reason to change those, either. Winter has a way of making me think that I need new clubs, but I'm pretty content with my setup right now.

Fun read, nice sticks

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Scratches are legit. I've always been wondering tartans- the plaid is unique to each. Like the exact striping pattern? colors? It symbolizes Family / clan per say? My next thought after I typed this- There can only be one.

Yeah, it goes back to the days of Clans in Scotland (and Ireland to a lesser extent, I think). Each clan had their own tartan, which acted a lot like a flag. There were a bunch of different clans throughout the country that had tartans, and there could also be smaller groups that would have variations on the main group's tartan. For example, my wife's family history is part of the MacDonald Clan, specifically McDonnell of Glengarry. The tartan on my putter cover is the MacDonald one. The McDonnell of Glengarry, has a white stripe added. I'd like to have about 30 different tartans that I could rotate through. I think it's a really cool look for a golf bag.

LOL, I lasted about 6 hours after my “I’m not really in the market for anything new” comment. I played against a guy in a match this summer who had a TEE CBX 17* driving iron. It’s a really cool looking club, and seemed like a rocket launcher. I’ve been interested to try one, and one was on the BST for a good price, so now that’s on its way.

I just retired my Sun Mountain 3.5 after about 7-8 years -- it was a good bag but years of use were starting to show -- and replaced it with a Jones Utility Stand Bag, and I really like the look of it with my Seamus headcovers, two of which are from Bandon Dunes and the putter cover is my wife's family tartan. I'm also feeling really happy with all of my gear as I go into the season. I expect to stay with the same driver for the second year in a row for the first time in recent memory. The Epic SZ has been the best combination of ball speed, low spin, and forgiveness I've ever played. The fact that the color scheme matches up with my grips and iron paintfill is coincidental, but nice. There's a chance that I might give a G400 Max a try, because I've seen a couple of buddies who have had really good results with it, at least initially.

I did some 3 wood testing over the winter and I think I'm pretty set on the one that's currently in my bag. I also have another (retail) M2 Tour with a Tour AD GP 7x and an Epic SZ with a Kuro Kage Silver 80TX that I've been messing with, but the 125 MSI Rogue Silver really seems to be the shaft that I get along with best, and there's probably something to be said for having a similar feel for the driver and 3 wood, especially because I use the 3 wood a lot from the tee.

There hasn't been a lot of other change in my bag over the last year or so. I previously used a combination of a 5 wood, 23* hybrid, 23* driving iron, and 3 iron in the slots between my 3 wood and 4 iron, but I've been very comfortable with the 18 degree driving iron and SB-1 3 iron. I originally only bought 4-PW when I got my irons, but thanks to Patrick Boyd (formerly of Scratch, now with the new NGW venture making those drool-worthy blades), I was able to get a 3 iron head at the beginning of last year, and that's been in there ever since.

I love my SB-1 irons -- this is beginning of my 4th season with them, and I'm playing them until they wear out. I opened the year in California in my first official handicap round of the year by making my first ace by flying one right into the hole with the 7 iron (on the first par 3 of the round). It took 31 years to get one, but I finally got one to go down! I got fitted into the Modus3 120X shafts by Ari at Scratch, and they fit my tempo really well. I put that same shaft in my driving iron, and it works really well in that, too.

I'm probably going to end up switching out my current 58* FIT wedge for the backup I have at some point this year. It's also entering its 4th season, and probably has about 250 rounds on it (I had a dalliance with a TVD-K grind Vokey, but came back to the FIT eventually). I use that wedge for most shots inside 95 yards, though I do use the 53* (which is the one marked 52, it's bent a degree weak) on chips where I have a lot of green to work with. Both wedges have S400 in them, because I got a little better consistency with that shaft than with the Modus wedge shafts (the fact that they were no upcharge was a bonus).

The putter is a recent acquisition -- I pulled the shaft and put in a black PVD one and installed a midsize "Roll Abides" grip that I got a while ago for a previous Byron. I had previously been using a Low Tide Flow, but once I got this Byron, I was reminded about how nice his putters feel, and I prefer the head shape of the DH89.

Specs:

Callaway Big Bertha Epic SubZero 8*, Aldila Rogue 125 70TX - 44.25"

Tour issue TaylorMade M2 Tour, 14.9*, Aldila Rogue 125 80TX 42.5"

Srixon Z u45 18* Nippon Modus3 120x 40.5"

Scratch SB-1 3-PW, Nippon Modus3 120x +1/2"

Scratch FIT 53*/58*, DS grind, DG S400 +1/2"

Byron Morgan DH89, 350g head weight, Carbon steel with Black Ox finish, black PVD shaft, Pure Midsize "The Roll Abides" grip, 34"

Other than the Driving iron and the 53* wedge which have Golf Pride Niion grips, all clubs have green Pure Pro grips.

Not a great year to be a Spartan ('71). Gorgeous bag! Wish I had the game to hit those Scratchs

Not a great year to be a Spartan ('71).

You're not freakin' kidding. In addition to how bad the football team is, the Nassar stuff was awful. Fortunately, I've wasted almost no time watching any of the football games this year.

Ho Ho Ho!

This arrived last week, and I had a chance to hit 3 balls on the range and 2 balls on the course with it, so obviously a small sample size. So far, I've noticed, if I don't go after it, it seems like this one likes to go high and right, but it still goes a long way. When I really turn on it, I got the type of penetrating flight I'm used to seeing with a driving iron, and it seems really long. I haven't done any head-to-head testing with my Z u45 yet, but the CBX is a relatively cheap experiment, so I'll probably hang on to it either way. I definitely see potential for it as another option for a club between driver and 3 iron when I want to put the 62* wedge in the bag. I'm hopefully going to be able to do some Trackman testing early next year, when the Epic Flash comes out. I'd like to get dialed back in on my wedge distances, which definitely got longer this year, get some numbers on the 5 wood and the two driving irons, and test the Flash against the Epic SZ.

Here's an address pic of the two driving irons. I'm a sucker for a black finish like the CBX has.