2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mell: Corporations Need to Invest in LPGA Tour

Holy Moses

Very good point about Duffy and his tenure. I guess I'm just really paranoid about the LPGA because if I start watching a TV show, they inevitably cancel it. I'm a jinx. Some have the midas touch, I have the fecal touch.

Speaking of TV, I know the Golf Channel for my local cable company is an add on. It`s like a little sports/outdoor package I pay extra for. My point being is until I got the added package I had no idea about women`s golf. I knew a few names, but since normal cable never aired the LPGA I never paid much attention.

Once again, lack of mainstream exposure, lack of eyeballs.

The only reason I started watching the LPGA is because I came home from church and the Kraft Nabisco was on CBS and they were talking about a playoff and it was exciting. My gym always has ESPN and ESPN 2 on and when they would show the LPGA no doubt people were exposed to it. No way the gym would ever have the golf channel on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone asked Whan last week about the LPGA producing their own content since tournaments already foot the bill. He treaded very carefully since TV rights are up for negotiation next year. I have been told that aside from the purse, tournaments must come up with about $500,000 to pay for TV. Why not take that $500,000 and do something different with it?

Someone asked Whan last week about the LPGA producing their own content since tournaments already foot the bill. He treaded very carefully since TV rights are up for negotiation next year. I have been told that aside from the purse, tournaments must come up with about $500,000 to pay for TV. Why not take that $500,000 and do something different with it?

Any ideas?

KPMG at least builds on its brand--it sponsors players who studied business in college, and it's got that whole women's advancement forum alongside the KPMG. I don't know what sort of ROI it gets from that. You'd expect the players it sponsors somehow (how?) to be more integrated into its brand. Is it really onto something? Is this a model other corporations can build on?

My solution won't be popular on this forum lol If I own a store that sell ice I ain't opening them in the Arctic, they'll be located close to the equator. Take the events from the US and move them to Asia, if the Asian Corporations are willing to pay higher prices for the purses, than give them the events, it's that simple. It's a simple business principle, get the bet deal you can. Honestly quit trying to drive a square peg into a round hole, North American television and sponsors don't care about the LPGA then fine go where they do care. If they get no viewers now than what are you losing, understanding the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The average North american doesn't care about women athletics, so stop trying to force it on them. I can't remember off the top of my head, but Ironically a large number of the AMerican tournaments are sponsored by Asian company anyways lol I'm willing bet purse are being suppressed to some extend to not make certain companies or events look bad. Or at least why offer to a 5 million dollar purse when you can pay 2.5 million, it's only smart business by the companies. If an Asian Company is willing to pay 4 million than tell Portland up your purse or you lose your event (sorry to pick on Portland).

Like I always say the LPGA has got to produce their own content, if you believe in yourself than invest in yourself. The biggest barrier to being able to get better coverage on other networks is the other Networks don't wanna pay for producing the LPGA events. ESPN has nothing all summer for their multiple channels, beside the Sunday night game that starts at 8 PM baseball is regional. If all ESPN had to do was put it on their channel, I'm sure they'd have no problem paying for the event. Golf Channel could still get event especially early in the year when the LPGA events are offset from the PGA events and there aren't conflict. They could have streaming option to sell to fans globally at a monthly rate and have deals with other countries that want to show the LPGA. They say LPGA is viewed in X number of countries but I guarantee the Golf Channel controls that cause it's their content.

I think there's a good market for the LPGA or a pro women's tour to do well, maybe it's just not in Europe or North America, so you cut the amount of events in those places so that the ones that are left a more special. I always hear this talk about growing the game, well go to places where you can grow the purses and show a young female athlete she can have a pro career possibly making 5 million a year, that will grow the game lol Outside Tennis I'm not really aware of any and women's Tennis would be in the toilet if wasn't paired with men's events at Majors and Master 1000 events.

Any ideas?

KPMG at least builds on its brand--it sponsors players who studied business in college, and it's got that whole women's advancement forum alongside the KPMG. I don't know what sort of ROI it gets from that. You'd expect the players it sponsors somehow (how?) to be more integrated into its brand. Is it really onto something? Is this a model other corporations can build on?

Producing their own content. Provided each of the 32 events pays the $500,000 that's 16 million dollars. I realize the US Open and a couple of others probably don't have to pay the LPGA that fee.

My solution won't be popular on this forum lol If I own a store that sell ice I ain't opening them in the Arctic, they'll be located close to the equator. Take the events from the US and move them to Asia, if the Asian Corporations are willing to pay higher prices for the purses, than give them the events, it's that simple. It's a simple business principle, get the bet deal you can. Honestly quit trying to drive a square peg into a round hole, North American television and sponsors don't care about the LPGA then fine go where they do care. If they get no viewers now than what are you losing, understanding the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The average North american doesn't care about women athletics, so stop trying to force it on them. I can't remember off the top of my head, but Ironically a large number of the AMerican tournaments are sponsored by Asian company anyways lol I'm willing bet purse are being suppressed to some extend to not make certain companies or events look bad. Or at least why offer to a 5 million dollar purse when you can pay 2.5 million, it's only smart business by the companies. If an Asian Company is willing to pay 4 million than tell Portland up your purse or you lose your event (sorry to pick on Portland).

Like I always say the LPGA has got to produce their own content, if you believe in yourself than invest in yourself. The biggest barrier to being able to get better coverage on other networks is the other Networks don't wanna pay for producing the LPGA events. ESPN has nothing all summer for their multiple channels, beside the Sunday night game that starts at 8 PM baseball is regional. If all ESPN had to do was put it on their channel, I'm sure they'd have no problem paying for the event. Golf Channel could still get event especially early in the year when the LPGA events are offset from the PGA events and there aren't conflict. They could have streaming option to sell to fans globally at a monthly rate and have deals with other countries that want to show the LPGA. They say LPGA is viewed in X number of countries but I guarantee the Golf Channel controls that cause it's their content.

I think there's a good market for the LPGA or a pro women's tour to do well, maybe it's just not in Europe or North America, so you cut the amount of events in those places so that the ones that are left a more special. I always hear this talk about growing the game, well go to places where you can grow the purses and show a young female athlete she can have a pro career possibly making 5 million a year, that will grow the game lol Outside Tennis I'm not really aware of any and women's Tennis would be in the toilet if wasn't paired with men's events at Majors and Master 1000 events.

Women's tennis was doing fine on its own when Hingis, the Williams Sisters, Kournikova, Seles, Graf all crossed paths. The TV ratings were higher for women's tennis in the late 90s/ early 2000s. You also had tabloid stories like Alexandra Stevenson, comeback stories like Jennifer Capriati and it was a situation where you had a variety of media friendly storylines. Gustavo Kuerten, Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin, Patrick Rafter and a near retirement Sampras, resurgent Agassi were nice enough players but none of them had transcending personalities and the ATP tour didn't know how to market them. Rafter and Safin were lookers by many standards but who would have thought to market a male player as a sex symbol? Sampras never had a media friendly personality.

Women's tennis did start to have a problem after around 2005. No one to really rival Serena but Maria Sharapova made millions. In any case both men and women's masters events did fine on their own but did loads better together.

The issue with women's tennis is no one is consistent. You have players like Petra Kvitova, Garbine Muguruza, and Angelique Kerber who catch fire for a few months and then fade away. Serena doesn't play enough to have a storyline of winning 12 events in a year and having an amazing W-L record. Have her throw a tantrum and she gets on national tv and gets coverage but often its after the fact.

Naomi Osaka seems like she has more of the instinct to be one of the all time greats but she is still really young.

Compare that to the men's game where you've had 4 players dominating the game for the last 12 years.

The WTA is fine. The season ending championships are moving to China where a sponsor is willing to put up 12 million dollars for the purse. In fact, all the events that used to be in Europe in the fall indoors are now outdoors in China in the fall.

The problem in part is the announcing. Judy Rankin is great but the lead color guy (looked him up, Whit Watson) is absolutely brutal and seems as though he doesn't want to be there most of the time. If the LPGA had full creative control of their programming and didn't leave things to the Golf Channel I think the product could be much better.

The problem in part is the announcing. Judy Rankin is great but the lead color guy (looked him up, Whit Watson) is absolutely brutal and seems as though he doesn't want to be there most of the time. If the LPGA had full creative control of their programming and didn't leave things to the Golf Channel I think the product could be much better.

You can put Nantz and Miller on and that would do very little. Rankin doesn’t bring energy, but Terry Gannon is pretty darn good.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Inkster said. “I just don't understand how all these companies get away with supporting PGA Tour events and not supporting the LPGA. It makes me a little upset, because I think we've got a great product. We deserve our due.”

I am from the boomer generation so have no clue as to today's politically correct social justice world.

Perhaps Inkster is being mis-quoted but I just do not understand her comment.

What does she mean by "I just don't understand how all these companies get away with supporting PGA Tour events and not supporting the LPGA."? The sponsor companies owe no duty to sponsor either the LPGA or the PGA.

The companies are not "getting away" with anything. They do not HAVE to sponsor the PGA and if they do they certainly DO NOT HAVE ANY obligation to sponsor the LPGA in turn.

I would go further to state that the corporations only duty of care is to the shareholders and it is in that light that they should only pay out for sponsorship if management can show a benefit to doing so.

Also - "We deserve our due"

WTF shouldn't one earn their due????? How does the LPGA "deserve" anything????? It is not like they have found a treatment for cancer and they "deserve" to be compensated for it. Has she lost sight of the fact it is ONLY golf for f*cks sake.

Maybe Whan should have an education seminar with his players before they continue to say stupid things.

Inkster said. “I just don't understand how all these companies get away with supporting PGA Tour events and not supporting the LPGA. It makes me a little upset, because I think we've got a great product. We deserve our due.”

I am from the boomer generation so have no clue as to today's politically correct social justice world.

Perhaps Inkster is being mis-quoted but I just do not understand her comment.

What does she mean by "I just don't understand how all these companies get away with supporting PGA Tour events and not supporting the LPGA."? The sponsor companies owe no duty to sponsor either the LPGA or the PGA.

The companies are not "getting" away with anything. They do not HAVE to sponsor the PGA and if they do they certainly DO NOT HAVE ANY obligation to sponsor the LPGA in turn.

I would go further to state that the corporations only duty of care is to the shareholders and it that light they should only pay out for sponsorship if management can show a benefit to doing so.

Also - "We deserve our due"

WTF shouldn't one earn their due????? How does the LPGA "deserve" anything????

Maybe Whan should have an education seminar with his players before they continue to say stupid things.

Julie should know better than to say such things. However, I think the current culture we live in enables that kind of thinking so that we end up hearing normally rational folks making irrational statements. Julie is the LPGA elder stateswoman and as such probably felt somewhat compelled to provide support to Mell's misguided rhetoric.

Randall Mell must be up for LPGA players' favorite journalist - pandering and populist "article". Very little substance, ignores the very obvious reasons why the money is different, and his "call to action" is pointless.

Click bait.

Too much internet, too many "journalists", too little thought before putting up their crap.

Randall Mell must be up for LPGA players' favorite journalist - pandering and populist "article". Very little substance, ignores the very obvious reasons why the money is different, and his "call to action" is pointless.

Click bait.

Too much internet, too many "journalists", too little thought before putting up their crap.

It is never a good thing when your profession is next in line behind lawyers for popular elimination.

Quit keeping score, no cuts, forget the payouts for every event and give out participation ribbons. That way no one's feelings are hurt.

Not working - marking the ball however you want just ends up with "therapy" and a puppy!

Would a big sponsor and bigger purses actually bring in better ratings? Not working for the WNBA.

Didn't really work for "The Match", lol.

Click bait.

It is never a good thing when your profession is next in line behind lawyers for popular elimination.

Ouch, that hurts for reasons I won't get into, lol.

Quit keeping score, no cuts, forget the payouts for every event and give out participation ribbons. That way no one's feelings are hurt.

Not working - marking the ball however you want just ends up with "therapy" and a puppy!

Would a big sponsor and bigger purses actually bring in better ratings? Not working for the WNBA.

We don’t know its ratings yet

Ping Vault Arna

Fredo - you're not dumb, you're smart, or so you told Michael, lol.

Without the $500,000 (assuming that's true, and I'm not suggesting it is) it won't get on TV - kind of defeats the purpose.

We don't know its ratings yet

Really can't know anything useful since it ended up being free - didn't work.

They still play for good money, the constant direct comparison to PGA Tour purses makes no sense at all. Others such as the ET and PGA Champions Tour play for smaller purses for the same reasons the LPGA do - ratings, commercial, market forces etc. not gender. I've heard Rymer on Morning Drive make the same case as Mell and it defies logic.

I wonder if the LPGA have ever seriously considered having some events start on a Sunday or Monday so all but 1 of the 4 round clashes with the PGA Tour or a 54-hole event Mon-Wed. Why do they have to be locked into Thu-Sun?

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

They still play for good money, the constant direct comparison to PGA Tour purses makes no sense at all. Others such as the ET and PGA Champions Tour play for smaller purses for the same reasons the LPGA do - ratings, commercial, market forces etc. not gender. I've heard Rymer on Morning Drive make the same case as Mell and it defies logic.

I wonder if the LPGA have ever seriously considered having some events start on a Sunday or Monday so all but 1 of the 4 round clashes with the PGA Tour or a 54-hole event Mon-Wed. Why do they have to be locked into Thu-Sun?

I’d guess they’d get worse ratings. Who can watch the final round on a Wednesday between 1-5 PM? Those in jail? 3rd shift workers? Retirees?

Ping Vault Arna

We don't know its ratings yet

Really can't know anything useful since it ended up being free - didn't work.

Not free for everyone

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I love it when some people tell other people how to spend their money. :D

Consumers "consume".

The End.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I'd guess they'd get worse ratings. Who can watch the final round on a Wednesday between 1-5 PM? Those in jail? 3rd shift workers? Retirees?

I don't know enough about the LPGA's TV coverage (demographics, deal terms etc.) but I was just trying to think of way that it doesn't go head 2 head against the PGA Tour. Could they show a "live" re-run in prime-time on the Golf Channel on those days when there isn't any PGA Tour anyway. It seems insane that they'd continue to try to compete directly the with PGA Tour.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

The LPGA should look at itself as a franchise, similar to the European Tour. They will go anywhere as long as the money is good. And are happy to joint sanction events. The LPGA needs to realise it is an international tour, not just the USA.....as in where are most of the winners from....And as much as I like Rankin she should retire. The leading players are almost half a century younger than her and play a different game.

Another issue, and I may sound like a dinosaur here, is the lack of sex appeal. The PGA has a lot of female fans....who watch Adam Scott, Koepka, DCB and other handsome men as much for their looks as for their swings. The LPGA has some gorgeous ladies, who are also superb athletes, but the whole tour seems too PC and is afraid of upsetting the feminist brigade. I also think the lack of black players coming through needs addressed. Asian, Central and South America, Japan, Europe...all well represented but apart rom Cheyenne Woods I would need to do an internet search to find another. Money aside is there a hidden agenda at play?

The LPGA should look at itself as a franchise, similar to the European Tour. They will go anywhere as long as the money is good. And are happy to joint sanction events. The LPGA needs to realise it is an international tour, not just the USA.....as in where are most of the winners from....And as much as I like Rankin she should retire. The leading players are almost half a century younger than her and play a different game.

Another issue, and I may sound like a dinosaur here, is the lack of sex appeal. The PGA has a lot of female fans....who watch Adam Scott, Koepka, DCB and other handsome men as much for their looks as for their swings. The LPGA has some gorgeous ladies, who are also superb athletes, but the whole tour seems too PC and is afraid of upsetting the feminist brigade. I also think the lack of black players coming through needs addressed. Asian, Central and South America, Japan, Europe...all well represented but apart rom Cheyenne Woods I would need to do an internet search to find another. Money aside is there a hidden agenda at play?

Have you been sleeping under a rock? The LPGA already realizes it is an international tour.

What do you mean that the lack of black players needs to be addressed?

And I'm not going to assume anything about your last sentence talking about a hidden agenda but, taken at face value, it sounds really, really stupid.

Oh, when you get around to doing your internet search, look for Mariah Stackhouse.

The point was made on page 1. Women don't watch women play sports. Until you figure that out, this is nothing more than SJW-driven "gimme gimme gimme" without any reason as to why.

This is not a college or something where it makes sense that each one should have the same amount of money spent. This is every trying to make money off the interest. Which is perfectly fine. Except that you can't cry the interest is smaller in your product. Capitalism is ruthless.

Did Randall Mell indicate how much he was donating to the "cause"?

I'm getting ready to pen an article on college football entitled..."Corporations need to advertise during the Slippery Rock football games."

Why they spend money on Alabama and Notre Dame is just beyond me.

Alabama? Notre Dame? Never heard of her.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black