Anyone else miss Golfsmith?

Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,237 ✭✭
edited Nov 18, 2018 in Deal or No Deal? #1
Was thinking, now that Golfsmith is gone and DSG and Golf Galaxy are one and they mainly cover the popular brands. Ping, TM, Titleist, Callaway. I loved the many choices golfsmith provided outside of the major, oems - like Tour Edge, Cobra, Cleveland, Srixon, Mizuno, Wilson and more. Plus they had sleeves of balls, too. It's a shame.

Comments

• the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,283 ✭✭
    Well for the major OEM brands you miss PGA SS carries most of those. I miss the Snake Eyes brand clothing for their inexpensive layering pieces for winter/cold weather golf.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14*  Maltby ProSeries Fwy- S
    Maltby KE-4 Tour 19*/23*  Kuro Kage Blk 80hy - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S FG Tour RAW 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,683 ClubWRX
    I did like being able to buy a sleeve of balls to try. Golf Galaxy doesn’t do that?

But if you have a Scheels nearby they sell by the sleeve. And have a solid selection.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭
    I miss my Golfsmith store in Novi, MI.

I have replaced that void with the Golf Galaxy in Troy and the Golf Galaxy in Utica.

Of course there is Carls Golfland in Plymouth and Bloomfield Hills

And Miles of Golf

And some smatterings of Pro Golf Stores

And theres the Royal Oak Golf Center where my buddy Don can build and tweak equipment

And the golf sections at the 12 Dicks Sporting Goods locations

And my pro shop

• rainkingjrrainkingjr Members Posts: 2,590 ✭✭
    I really liked Golfsmith. Especially back in the old days when they were making some really nice components. I still love the Tour Cavity Forged irons that were designed by Tom Wishon.
  • just plain billjust plain bill Unregistered Posts: 1,488 ✭✭
    in austin (their HQ) they had a huge driving range. my sales people moved over to golf galaxy, so that's a plus.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,155 ✭✭
    I loved the fact your could switch between OEM and component companies. And the ability to set up an account and buy shafts etc. In the UK the aftermarket shaft market is both limited and very expensive since Golfsmith folded.
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,558 ✭✭
    I still have a set of snake eyes irons that I made up. They are pretty much shovels, but none the less, I like them every now and then.
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,552 ✭✭
    It was fun being able to walk thru their large stores and trying all kinds of equipment and clothes. DSG is a joke and typically has a few clubs but usually older models. I'm lucky I have Joe and Leigh's in my area but there isn't much else around.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,237 ✭✭

in austin (their HQ) they had a huge driving range. my sales people moved over to golf galaxy, so that's a plus.

The Raleigh store had a driving range, too. Not large. but, a cool way to check out clubs.
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    eBay and other online stores cover all I need. I never bought much in store unless there was a good sale anyway.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • Jeri6gtJeri6gt Friday Hacker Members Posts: 271
    Nope
    All Titliest all the time

915 D2 10.5 S blue board
    915F 16.5 S blue board
    910F 19 S Kali
    718 TMB 4 PXi 6.0
    714 AP2 5-9 PX 5.5
    SM6 46, 50 PX 6.0(8iron)
    SM5 54, 58 PX 6.5(8iron)
    Scotty Newport 2
    ProV1x
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,879 ✭✭
    I worked at one for a few months - it was pretty fun and also cool to see what used stuff came in.
  • K.ipK.ip Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I think it varies greatly from location to location but for me, it’s an overall yes

A few stores you would find some very knowledgeable folks (less so towards the end) and just big enough to wander around
  • cb24cb24 Members Posts: 1,697 ✭✭
    It was nice to hit balls there from time to time and try to find decent used sets but overall they were bad, so I don’t miss them
  • jschwarbjschwarb Members Posts: 765 ✭✭
    When I first got into golf 20-plus years ago, my first big mail-order purchases were from Golfsmith. Loved their catalogs.
  • sailfishchrissailfishchris Members Posts: 908 ✭✭
    I miss them for club building material..... epoxy and such. I bought a case of 30/60 epoxy when they were liquidating
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM5 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Toulon Memphis
    ProV1X / TP5X
    Jones Utility Trouper
    dbleag wrote:

I worked at one for a few months - it was pretty fun and also cool to see what used stuff came in.

They had a nice used section including sets as well as this big rack thing of woods, hybrids etc.
  • re_murphy13re_murphy13 Membership Members Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Novi Michigan had an awesome used section and would make deals on all of it. I miss that store.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,242 ✭✭
    If they still existed I would literally chose them 90% of the time over GG.

Their main store was less than a mile from GG’s main store here in Columbus.

I went to Golfsmith quite regularly. I only went to GG a few times a year to see if they had anything I couldn’t find at Golfsmith.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • rightslicerightslice Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,465 ✭✭

Novi Michigan had an awesome used section and would make deals on all of it. I miss that store.

Tons of used clubs there. Massive putting green too. That was a bummer when that store closed.
  • taylormade113taylormade113 Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    I miss the Snake Eyes brand of clothing. Great price and loved the shirts.

I was also a used club junkie and this place always scratched the itch.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,476 ClubWRX
    I miss Phil, the club guy at the store in Aurora, IL. Not only a great guy but his work was flawless.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,902 ✭✭
    Was fortunate enough to visit their Austin, TX HQ way back in the 70's - they had everything that you needed to do club building and/or repair.

Was great, being able to walk around their entire facility, which, at the time, was considered massive, but paled in comparison to what they became as time went on.

Yes - I do miss them, because they seemed to get most everything that they did "right" - except, how to continue their business practices as they grew.

It is a task - dealing with success.....
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,687 ✭✭
    My GS was bought out and turned into a GG, nice location, 7-8 hitting bays, nice clearance selection. That GG was then closed and incorporated into the local dicks. 1 bay and 1 trackman bay now, garbage clearance selection, much less used stuff

Luckily there is still a Golf Mart which is better than both!
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,283 ✭✭
    They had a Golf and Tennis superstore in Palm Desert that had a full size tennis court inside to demo rackets. Thought that was pretty cool.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14*  Maltby ProSeries Fwy- S
    Maltby KE-4 Tour 19*/23*  Kuro Kage Blk 80hy - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S FG Tour RAW 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    Tanner25 wrote:

The Raleigh store had a driving range, too. Not large. but, a cool way to check out clubs.

I spent many of my lunch breaks banging balls at the Raleigh location. You could just pick up anything from the used rack and go hit it on the launch monitors. I ended up buying several clubs that way and always went there for new grips. The location was replaced by a golf Galaxy / Dick's and while it's really big and nice there's something just stale about it. There's not much of a used selection and they aren't as keen on people hitting on the launch monitors.
    edited Nov 22, 2018 #29

Tanner25 wrote:

I spent many of my lunch breaks banging balls at the Raleigh location. You could just pick up anything from the used rack and go hit it on the launch monitors. I ended up buying several clubs that way and always went there for new grips. The location was replaced by a golf Galaxy / Dick's and while it's really big and nice there's something just stale about it. There's not much of a used selection and they aren't as keen on people hitting on the launch monitors.

+ 1 It is just not the same. Also, the local GG/DSG's are never fully stocked with a limited club selection. I guess the internet sales are finally taking it's toll on the local retailer.
  • uflorida1uflorida1 Members Posts: 738 ✭✭
    I miss going there to try things and then come home to the BST to make the purchase! :P Guess that’s why they aren’t around anymore. It’s all our fault! Great memories tho
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    There's nothing that will sucker more golfers into impulse purchases like having a whole bunch of used clubs for sale next to some hitting bays with launch monitors and giving a green light. You all know how we are -- find that one driver that's flying 5 yards further than our current gamer and that credit card is coming out before the ball stops rolling. It was a genius business model in that respect.