Who mills Byron Morgan heads

golfgolfguru

Lots of good info in this thread I'd also add that some of the larger companies as well as a few of the smaller ones use raw forgings that are in the very basic shape of a putter and mill from that piece instead of starting with a block. This is especially common on one piece plumbers neck hosel putters. It's a way to save money on material costs and machine time.

I already made note of that but most of them use extrusions and not forgings. It looks like an I beam only it's shaped like and L and they saw it off the extruded piece in the depth they need it.

Chet was talking about machining castings and although that probably won't fly in the premium putter ($400+) market that's sort of how putters like Odyssey are made.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To end my participation in this thread, I'm going to say my experience with Byron Morgan has been nothing but exquisite. Byron is a great gent.

I have to agree 100% with you, bought my first Byron in 2007 and picked it up at his shop, when the wife and I walked out, she said "He's an awesome man! You needed another one",,I now own 14.

All this reading made me think about Heritage Golf in 2006. Those were the days $275 for a nice putter

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/22958-heritage-cnc-milled-prototype/page__hl__heritage

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Lots of good info in this thread I'd also add that some of the larger companies as well as a few of the smaller ones use raw forgings that are in the very basic shape of a putter and mill from that piece instead of starting with a block. This is especially common on one piece plumbers neck hosel putters. It's a way to save money on material costs and machine time.

I already made note of that but most of them use extrusions and not forgings. It looks like an I beam only it's shaped like and L and they saw it off the extruded piece in the depth they need it.

Chet was talking about machining castings and although that probably won't fly in the premium putter ($400+) market that's sort of how putters like Odyssey are made.

I've personally seen forgings being done this way for both big and smaller premium putter companies.

Most of the non premium putters out there are cast and then skim milled or just face milled.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I've personally seen forgings being done this way for both big and smaller premium putter companies.

Most of the non premium putters out there are cast and then skim milled or just face milled.

Here is Kevin Burns talking about the extrusions he starts with. I think that any kind of continuous casting or extrusion would be the only way to go if you did enough volume to talk the steel mill into making the custom tooling for you. It very well could be an extrusion shape that they use in another industry also which would make it more readily available.

Last time I was at Bettinardi they were using a forging for their longer neck putters and extrusions for their mallets but I haven't been in their shop for probably seven years now.

This thread is partially why I went with slighter for my custom. Completely Handmade with dozens of progress pics along the way. I could justify the price considering all the handwork put into it.

Not just smoothing some rough edges.

For every story like that, there are others who had a different experience with Slighter. I put in an order for a custom putter a few years back (and paid in full up front) and he "forgot" to make it. As the due date approached, I contacted him and asked about the status, and he had totally dropped the ball on it. He tried to get me to accept a different putter that he had on hand, and I declined. In the end I went elsewhere. It was incredibly disappointing. I roll my eyes whenever I see a Slighter testimonial. I've had customs from Byron, Lamont and Lajosi. I've gotten in-progress pics and updates from Lamont and Kari, but never on any of the Byrons. All three were really good to deal with and make high-quality products.

That's too bad, you've had literally the only bad experience with Tom i've ever heard of. I actually have one of the last putters he worked on before retirement. Nothing but a stand up guy, sorry your experience wasn't a good one, but it's the only bad one I've ever heard of.

I, as well as a few others here, have posted less than great interactions with Slighter and someone always says "you're the only one." Weird have a few only ones. Not to say it's a significant percentage, but it is more than one.

Wow, I am late to jump in on this forum but I listened to T2TG and am blown away that this was a discussion. I am a huge Byron fan. They guy is one of a kind and has been around forever. That being said I only own one putter from him and that is one I bought a few months ago. Just couldn’t pull the trigger because I didn’t have money to blow. In the end I know I am buying a tool to make putts. Byron is an artist.

I went to his shop about five years ago and he runs a small place. I saw a few boxes of ‘raw’ unfinished heads of his more popular GSS putters which he says he mainly sells to Japan where he is somewhat of a cult celebrity. My words and opinions, not his. I believe they think he is a Scotty/BillMurray/Einstein hybrid.

When I saw these heads I assumed they were milled elsewhere. They were nowhere CLOSE to being finished and each head was slightly different. It didn’t make me think any less of the product since they were Answer copies anyway.

I asked him about American versus German Stainless and he told me right there that ‘German’ stainless was not different,, but since people like it...he makes it. He also had stacks of German stainless steel bars. The reason he told me he charged more for the GSS was the cost of importing and shipping. Literally it was shipped from Europe on a ship.

I have owned Kingston, Scotty, Slighter and other milled ‘boutique’ putters. They are only worth the putts you make with them or what somebody else will pay for them.

For example. I have a gold Rolex datejust and a Pepsi stainless GMT Maters II. New the datejust was twice the cost of the stainless GMT. Currently the metal of the GMT is worthless, yet in the condition it is in it sells used for 9,500$. Only paid 3k for it 12 years ago. I couldn’t get 3k for the gold Rolex online. It is ‘out of style’. It is worth what somebody will pay for it.

I gladly paid 700$ for my Byron and it is worth every penny to me. Wish I could make some putts with it though.

Slighter, Byron, Nead... amazing craftsman and artists...

Lamb is an overpriced millennial copy-cat hack...and because people are stupid, his putters sell for thousands online.

This thread is partially why I went with slighter for my custom. Completely Handmade with dozens of progress pics along the way. I could justify the price considering all the handwork put into it.

Not just smoothing some rough edges.

For every story like that, there are others who had a different experience with Slighter. I put in an order for a custom putter a few years back (and paid in full up front) and he "forgot" to make it. As the due date approached, I contacted him and asked about the status, and he had totally dropped the ball on it. He tried to get me to accept a different putter that he had on hand, and I declined. In the end I went elsewhere. It was incredibly disappointing. I roll my eyes whenever I see a Slighter testimonial. I've had customs from Byron, Lamont and Lajosi. I've gotten in-progress pics and updates from Lamont and Kari, but never on any of the Byrons. All three were really good to deal with and make high-quality products.

That's too bad, you've had literally the only bad experience with Tom i've ever heard of. I actually have one of the last putters he worked on before retirement. Nothing but a stand up guy, sorry your experience wasn't a good one, but it's the only bad one I've ever heard of.

I, as well as a few others here, have posted less than great interactions with Slighter and someone always says "you're the only one." Weird have a few only ones. Not to say it's a significant percentage, but it is more than one.

I'm sure it happens with Tom, Byron, Cameron, etc. Nobody is perfect.

I dealt with Tom when he was mostly doing restoration work, and he did outstanding work for me.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Wow, I am late to jump in on this forum but I listened to T2TG and am blown away that this was a discussion. I am a huge Byron fan. They guy is one of a kind and has been around forever. That being said I only own one putter from him and that is one I bought a few months ago. Just couldn’t pull the trigger because I didn’t have money to blow. In the end I know I am buying a tool to make putts. Byron is an artist.

I went to his shop about five years ago and he runs a small place. I saw a few boxes of ‘raw’ unfinished heads of his more popular GSS putters which he says he mainly sells to Japan where he is somewhat of a cult celebrity. My words and opinions, not his. I believe they think he is a Scotty/BillMurray/Einstein hybrid.

When I saw these heads I assumed they were milled elsewhere. They were nowhere CLOSE to being finished and each head was slightly different. It didn’t make me think any less of the product since they were Answer copies anyway.

I asked him about American versus German Stainless and he told me right there that ‘German’ stainless was not different,, but since people like it...he makes it. He also had stacks of German stainless steel bars. The reason he told me he charged more for the GSS was the cost of importing and shipping. Literally it was shipped from Europe on a ship.

I have owned Kingston, Scotty, Slighter and other milled ‘boutique’ putters. They are only worth the putts you make with them or what somebody else will pay for them.

For example. I have a gold Rolex datejust and a Pepsi stainless GMT Maters II. New the datejust was twice the cost of the stainless GMT. Currently the metal of the GMT is worthless, yet in the condition it is in it sells used for 9,500$. Only paid 3k for it 12 years ago. I couldn’t get 3k for the gold Rolex online. It is ‘out of style’. It is worth what somebody will pay for it.

I gladly paid 700$ for my Byron and it is worth every penny to me. Wish I could make some putts with it though.

Slighter, Byron, Nead... amazing craftsman and artists...

Lamb is an overpriced millennial copy-cat hack...and because people are stupid, his putters sell for thousands online.

Agree 100%

Haha. Blame it on the millenial.

Calling someone a "copycat" in the putter game is pretty choice, ya washed up relic.

I wouldn't own anything Lamb makes for the prices he gets but I don't begrudge him making a living. God knows he should be punished for copying Cameron, who copied Solheim, who copied Mills, who copied Sarazan, who copied young Tom, who copied an ingenuitive shepherd. Yeah, shame on Tyson Lamb that young bastxxx.

Calling someone a "copycat" in the putter game is pretty choice, ya washed up relic.

I wouldn't own anything Lamb makes for the prices he gets but I don't begrudge him making a living. God knows he should be punished for copying Cameron, who copied Solheim, who copied Mills, who copied Sarazan, who copied young Tom, who copied an ingenuitive shepherd. Yeah, shame on Tyson Lamb that young bastxxx.

I agree they all copied someone but I didn't want to get in a pissing contest ,my favorite right now is an evnroll ,I guess I should burn in hell that er1.2 looks like all the others lol

Just taking a shot at Lamb because it is easy. The guy stuff doesn’t inspire me .01%. Agree it is nice he can make a living building clubs.

Heard on another podcast he is getting out of super custom and going to start mass producing or something. Could this be the end of the 7k eBay resale??

Lumpy at Xenon is a true one off custom putter maker. I’m sure there are others. I did enough research to satisfy my curiosity before having one built. I’ve personally seen him work. I’ve had many conversations with him about builds for myself and others. All the work on my putter head was done by Lumpy. In his shed out behind his house. It’s a true custom to what I asked him to build for me. The cost associated with it was insanely affordable vs an off the shelf model of mass produced putter. We are in the process of building another one now. I can’t see myself ever using a putter that wasn’t built with my own personal ideas and design.

I’m sure there are others that do their milling and build in house. Lumpy def does

Just taking a shot at Lamb because it is easy. The guy stuff doesn’t inspire me .01%. Agree it is nice he can make a living building clubs.

Heard on another podcast he is getting out of super custom and going to start mass producing or something. Could this be the end of the 7k eBay resale??

I doubt making an OTR putter will hurt the resale on his customs. Might even help as he builds a little name recognition outside of golf nerds.

He seems pretty sharp to follow Scotty's road map, and getting Jimmy Walker on board certainly helps. I'm guessing a lot of his die hards are Texans. Remember the Alamo and mark your putts with a 100 dollar donut trinket?

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, if I were a newer player and didn't know my specs I'd be more into a putter that came with a fitting like Edel.

Can't imagine anything worse than putting like a donkey with a bedazzled Lamb twist neck jewelry putter.

You guys can bust on Lamb all you want but he knows how to machine a putter.

I've never owned one of his putters but I bet if you took Scotty Cameron aside off the record and asked him what he thought of Lamb putter he would be jealous of his machining.

It may not be original but he is really good at what he does.

With all that said I'm a Toulon guy and even he says the pinnacle of artistry is Cameron and Lamb. Listen to the podcast if you don't believe me.

I agree that lamb can run a hell of a machine and he does try to look at the original design a little differently.. However, his designed tweaks all seem to be too calculated, too mechanical. Look at Lump's and his together, one is highly polished (not surface) machine driven and one is hand and head driven. Desirability is decided by the individual, they both appeal to different tastes.

If I were a collector I would want both but would have more buyers remorse over the Lamb. I tend to like the hand and head putters, those that don't seem to be completely machine made..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I've never owned one of his putters but I bet if you took Scotty Cameron aside off the record and asked him what he thought of Lamb putter he would be jealous of his machining.

With all that said I'm a Toulon guy and even he says the pinnacle of artistry is Cameron and Lamb. Listen to the podcast if you don't believe me.

Lol....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

Lol....

I agree

I think the reason Lamb has trouble putting out putters is because he's having trouble with the machines. So it takes him a inordinate amount of time and tries to produce suitable heads or he's outsourced the milling and he uses his machines for accessories.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Lol....

I agree

I think the reason Lamb has trouble putting out putters is because he's having trouble with the machines. So it takes him a inordinate amount of time and tries to produce suitable heads or he's outsourced the milling and he uses his machines for accessories.

I don't think he has trouble putting them out. He probably spends 8-10 hours making each putter so if he makes 100/year half his year is spent making putters and the other half is spent on accessories.

I collect guitars and I get the same sense of how in the heck do some of these guys stay in business selling so little? But the fact is they are probably delighted to make early six figures doing what they love to do. He's kind of in the sweet spot right now. All of his putters and accessories sell out instantly so he doesn't really have any competition. If he started cranking out 100 putters a day he'd work himself into competition with the major OEMs.

Lol....

I agree

I don't think he has trouble putting them out. He probably spends 8-10 hours making each putter so if he makes 100/year half his year is spent making putters and the other half is spent on accessories.

I collect guitars and I get the same sense of how in the heck do some of these guys stay in business selling so little? But the fact is they are probably delighted to make early six figures doing what they love to do. He's kind of in the sweet spot right now. All of his putters and accessories sell out instantly so he doesn't really have any competition. If he started cranking out 100 putters a day he'd work himself into competition with the major OEMs.

I’m also a guitarist and to compare guitars with putters is a long stretch. I own guitars that are pretty much priceless in the collector’s world, not even my friend George Gruhn couldn’t take them away from me. I make a little money with my guitars as a hobby, I make zero money with putters.

Spending 8 to 10 hours on a putter is not the same as building a handmade Ramirez, De Soto y Solares or even a 57 Gibby.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

Lol....

I agree

I’m also a guitarist and to compare guitars with putters is a long stretch. I own guitars that are pretty much priceless in the collector’s world, not even my friend George Gruhn couldn’t take them away from me. I make a little money with my guitars as a hobby, I make zero money with putters.

Spending 8 to 10 hours on a putter is not the same as building a handmade Ramirez, De Soto y Solares or even a 57 Gibby.

The point I was trying to make is I don't understand how someone can make a living making only 100 putters per year. I collect mostly contemporary acoustics so the similarity I was getting at is how a company like Rockbridge, Goodall or Greenfield can stay in business making such limited quantities.

Obviously you're a Cameron guy so I get that there is literally nothing I can say that you will agree with even though I own nothing made by Tyson Lamb. Like I said I'm a Toulon guy but recognize quality work when I see it.

I'm a Cameron fan, but I'm also a fan of Byron, Mannkrafted, and other putter makers. I don't care for Mr. Lamb because of personal reasons and first hand experience, not some internet chatter.

I get it, you admire his craft and that's great. But to me, he's just not a trustworthy individual and that trumps everything else for me.

And my guitarist friend, do you think anything Lamb could ever imagine pushing out his shop can compare to a nice vintage Martin? Lol...

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

I'm a Cameron fan, but I'm also a fan of Byron, Mannkrafted, and other putter makers. I don't care for Mr. Lamb because of personal reasons and first hand experience, not some internet chatter.

I get it, you admire his craft and that's great. But to me, he's just not a trustworthy individual and that trumps everything else for me.

And my guitarist friend, do you think anything Lamb could ever imagine pushing out his shop can compare to a nice vintage Martin? Lol...

In my world Cameron is Martin, Toulon is probably most like Taylor and Lamb is Rockbridge or Goodall. Of course a vintage Martin is going to command more than a Goodall but that doesn't mean a Goodall isn't a nice piece.

The funny part about people who get so defensive when it comes to their putter maker of choice is when they have selective hearing or in this case reading. It usually happens when someone says Cameron just copied this guy blah blah blah. Nobody ever said anything to degrade the Ping just that Cameron makes great putters. It's the same with Lamb. When you say a Lamb is a great looking putter a Cameron guy will usually say well he just copied what Scotty is doing. I love Cameron putters and I also appreciate the craftsmanship of a Lamb putter.

I don't know him personally and don't know of any bad dealings he's had with anyone, just like his work.

In my world Cameron is Martin, Toulon is probably most like Taylor and Lamb is Rockbridge or Goodall. Of course a vintage Martin is going to command more than a Goodall but that doesn't mean a Goodall isn't a nice piece.

The funny part about people who get so defensive when it comes to their putter maker of choice is when they have selective hearing or in this case reading. It usually happens when someone says Cameron just copied this guy blah blah blah. Nobody ever said anything to degrade the Ping just that Cameron makes great putters. It's the same with Lamb. When you say a Lamb is a great looking putter a Cameron guy will usually say well he just copied what Scotty is doing. I love Cameron putters and I also appreciate the craftsmanship of a Lamb putter.

I don't know him personally and don't know of any bad dealings he's had with anyone, just like his work.

I get you my friend.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

For a lot of Cameron guys, it's the association with Tiger, Lamb doesn't have that so It's looked as more as just jewelry than a tool.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

But to me, he's just not a trustworthy individual

I really think this statement takes it too far. There is no reason to personally attack Tysons character as a person based on I'm assuming a bad experience trying to get a putter. This forum is a great place to exchange ideas, reviews and thoughts on golf equipment but when we start to devolve into personal attacks we have definitely taken it too far. Discussions should stick to the business not attack the person behind the business.

Obviously Tyson is a hot topic with people who love him and people who don't but let's atleast agree that it takes alot of balls to decide to make your living making making putters, clubs or anything for golfers like us (trust me it is NOT easy) and I personally have a ton of respect for anyone that makes this life decision.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

But to me, he's just not a trustworthy individual

I really think this statement takes it too far. There is no reason to personally attack Tysons character as a person based on I'm assuming a bad experience trying to get a putter. This forum is a great place to exchange ideas, reviews and thoughts on golf equipment but when we start to devolve into personal attacks we have definitely taken it too far. Discussions should stick to the business not attack the person behind the business.

Obviously Tyson is a hot topic with people who love him and people who don't but let's atleast agree that it takes alot of balls to decide to make your living making making putters, clubs or anything for golfers like us (trust me it is NOT easy) and I personally have a ton of respect for anyone that makes this life decision.

No, my statement is based on my personal experience. Having said that, I will leave it alone because he's not worth my time and in a way you are correct.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

"....Cameron secretly jealous of how TL machines a putter head..." I can already see SC and TW slapping their knees as they bust out in irreverent laughter.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick