We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Poll: Did you watch The Match Tiger v Phil?

BlackDiamondPar5 ·  
BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5  5609Members Posts: 5,609
So now that it's over it's time for a new poll. Did you watch The Match? And where did you watch?

EDIT--- sorry I accidentally wiped out the previous votes when I added the question of where it was watched... argh!!!
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BIG STUBIG STU  12023Members Posts: 12,023
    LOL I was the first one to vote and I voted #3--- Nope did not watch nor did I care or have any regrets for not watching---- Did not know who even won until I logged on here earlier and saw the whatever you call it flash at the top of the WRX screen
    Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Old Adams 22* Pro Force Red
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60*
    Putter (for now) Original Standard Acushnet Bullseye

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Viktoryred3Viktoryred3 Just playing the game...  189Members Posts: 189
    I watched it, but it was the Christmas ales that kept my interest in the match
    Posted:
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT  7216Members Posts: 7,216
    Much respect for both careers BUT the contrived nature of this all and players passed their prime....plus match play isn't my cup of tea....the series "Shell's wonderful world of golf" was just straight golf, far more enjoyable for me. JMHO
    Posted:
  • howaboutmehowaboutme Fairfax, VA 171Members Posts: 171
    Yes but only after I found out it was free online, roughly the 17th hole.
    Posted:
  • Doc420Doc420  2356Members Posts: 2,356
    Sports bar had it, with bets and promotions for every hole. Netted several free beers that the owner had to buy for the bar. Ended up being pretty fun.
    Posted:
  • ChillyDipperChillyDipper  1062Members Posts: 1,062
    I watched and was rather disappointed. Aside from the golf, I was hoping for my interesting and perhaps trend-setting coverage (use of new camera angles, new cameras, less commentary and more unique commentary), but by the end it was just same old golf coverage. Especially frustrating was the commentators thinking we wanted to hear them more than the players. I wouldn't pay 20$ again if the same crew is producing it.
    Posted:
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WIMB:[/font]
    [font="trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif"]Callaway Epic Subzero[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping G 3W[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 712U - 2i [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]VR Pro Blade - 3-9 [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SM6 - GW SW LW[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SC Newport 2 - AOP [/font]

Advertisement
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!  17811Members Posts: 17,811
    Negative
    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • The Slamming ButcherThe Slamming Butcher  697Members Posts: 697
    I'd rather actually play rather than watch two other dudes play.
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28657Members Posts: 28,657

Where do you live (round about ) ? I’m in South Carolina and it was a cold day. Normally I’d agree and pick playing over watching. But it was across the line in my opinion for playing unless you went right at noon . And I’m in an area that has a year round season. I guess what I’m saying is that most of the country didnt have the option you had.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• NevinWNevinW Southside, West Virginia 1167ClubWRX Posts: 1,167
    I watched it and enjoyed it. A great exhibition match.
    Posted:
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5  5609Members Posts: 5,609

Where do you live (round about ) ? I’m in South Carolina and it was a cold day. Normally I’d agree and pick playing over watching. But it was across the line in my opinion for playing unless you went right at noon . And I’m in an area that has a year round season. I guess what I’m saying is that most of the country didnt have the option you had.

I think one of the factors that may have increased viewership is the fact that the Eastern and Central US has been exceptionally cold.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ Florida 5280Members Posts: 5,280
    Was able to stream last 15 minutes, closing handshakes, format was fine, but pay per view

Is messed up. Show it to the masses and have fun with it. Congrats Phil, come back to play the rematch with Tiger.
    Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • billh17billh17 just happy to play  2976Members Posts: 2,976
    The holiday crowd at my place found it at skysports golf(which i had never used before),so we tuned it in...hooked it to the TV,and there we sat.

No audio..and we couldn't get full screen. From all i read on here the commentators were ruining the viewing with their jabbering and talking

over top of the players. The only really good thing I saw,was the ease with getting the shot tracer on every shot. Sorta did away with the old

"impossible to do" arguments. I found I liked seeing every shot with the tracer instead of a putting match being most of the viewing.

Did not miss watching a ball fly thru the air at all. I sometimes think they have a canned ball flight scene and throw it up .

Anyway, most of the good things from the program weren't provided by the players,as far as i could see. The tech of the shot tracer being

doable for all shots has promise !
    Posted:
    Certified Orginal Member#2
    Outlaw Golf Association
    To Heck with the USGA
    Updated poll questions with, where did you watch?
    Posted:
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson  488Members Posts: 488
    Watched it all from home
    Posted:
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com  7413Members Posts: 7,413
    Watched on my phone. Work and then home.
    Posted:

Advertisement

So now that it's over it's time for a new poll. Did you watch The Match? And where did you watch?

Sorry but I went to edit the poll to add questions on where it was watched and all the previous votes got wiped out ... Argh!!!
    Posted:
  • Need4spdNeed4spd  1582Members Posts: 1,582
    Started at a sports bar, but due to the extraordinary length of time it was taking we left to go shopping after awhile so I continued it on my phone.

I was underwhelmed like most. I thought the commentary was fine, but the performances from the contestants was well below par, and not in a good way. Much of the hype around the event was based on their own commentary, banter, and even their use of profanity (trivial as it sounds we all wanted to hear it) which was discussed during the presser earlier this week. Tim Mickelson even joked about wanting to just get one swear word in as they were walking up 18 and Phil told him not to.

A lot of hype and relatively little was delivered on, in my opinion. The best part of the whole thing was Barkley, those corny commercials, and the course itself which looked stunning. Overall, I’d give it a C- or D+.
    Posted:
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S
    TaylorMade M2 15° Project X HZRDUS Yellow Handcrafted 75 6.0
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-95 S  
    Callaway Apex Pro (19’) 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.10S, 58.12D KBS Tour FLT 120 S
    Toulon Design Columbus
    TaylorMade TP5X 
  • getair23getair23  2131Members Posts: 2,131
    Ordered it and recorded it. Then avoided all the play by play texts on my phone for a few hours. Enjoyed the afternoon, then we watched it later Friday, and had a great time.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Titleist TS2 15 Aldila Rogue 70x 
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* Modus 125x
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98  3602Members Posts: 3,602
    Watched it at my club, otherwise would never have paid for it.

A complete and absolute bore-fest. I tried to get into it as did about 50 members in the sport bar, but general consensus was that it was akin to watching paint dry.
    Posted:
  • Ignatius ReillyIgnatius Reilly  478Members Posts: 478
    Consistent with my earlier posts, I said I'd watch a bit if it was free.

So.... looking in here to see people's reactions, I found out it was streaming for free and tuned in.

Watched about 1/2 the shots on holes 3-7 but didn't find it compelling. Predictably, most of the time was spent watching them walk, look, talk, stand.... not golf.

The chatter between Tiger and Phil was generally awkward but most of it was talked over by the commentators.

Kinda a whole lot of nothing. Worth a try, but didn't do anything for me.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • PZeroPZero  11581Members Posts: 11,581
    I only watched because it was available for free. I wasn't paying for it.
    Posted:
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer  3023Members Posts: 3,023
    Didn't watch. Could have gone and watched it at my club. Really was not very interested in it. I can assure you that I'll never pay a dime extra to watch a televised golf event on the boobtube.
    Posted:

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • NaptimeNaptime  656Members Posts: 656
    I checked TigerTracker a few times and it didn't seem like I was missing much.
    Posted:
  • oldschoolrockeroldschoolrocker  5096Members Posts: 5,096
    That would be a no.
    Posted:
  • sigvbsigvb  78Members Posts: 78
    Watched it. Agree with above comments and would add that the constant background noise, assume blimp engine(s), was very distracting
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5508Members Posts: 5,508
    I'm classing myself as having watched it although an unhappy 4 week old son meant that I didn't really see that much of it. I have it recorded, if he has a sleepless night in the next few I will watch it, if not I won't bother and I don't feel that I missed out on that much.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 18943ClubWRX Posts: 18,943
    MattyO1984 wrote:

I'm classing myself as having watched it although an unhappy 4 week old son meant that I didn't really see that much of it. I have it recorded, if he has a sleepless night in the next few I will watch it, if not I won't bother and I don't feel that I missed out on that much.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted:
  • GSDriverGSDriver  723Members Posts: 723
    We played golf in the morning, had lunch, then watched and drank a few cocktails...it was fun, totally worth $20. And the 'good guy' won!
    Posted:
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3

Advertisement
  • jeffreyljeffreyl  283Members Posts: 283
    Actually played yesterday ( temp reached 50 degrees F after a very cold fall in N Indiana) Club had it on; we all left.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.