Pesticides and fertilisers

Hi everyone, now to start I have always been a bit of a hypochondriac. I played my local course today and noticed on the way to the tee they had a sign up saying the greens had been fertilised and they'd used pesticides. This got me thinking (and worrying a little) about the effects. For me the worry is I have a 5 month old little baby, and could I potentially be bringing in toxic substances to the house? I'm sure they wouldn't use anything dangerous, but just giving me a little niggle of a worry.

Does anyone know more about this practice and it's risks?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just keep your hands clean and don’t put your golf ball in your mouth.

As for the baby, keep all your golf stuff out of reach.

My daughter used to like to get into my golf bag and take all the balls out to play with. If they were covered with pesticides I would have left my bag in the trunk.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The pesticides they use are extremely dangerous for humans and especially infants. I warn my friends who smoke and toss their cigs on the grass before hitting, that they may want to not put that back into their mouths. I keep all of my golf gear away from my children.

Titleist....

The pesticides they use are extremely dangerous for humans and especially infants. I warn my friends who smoke and toss their cigs on the grass before hitting, that they may want to not put that back into their mouths. I keep all of my golf gear away from my children.

You don’t want to mix your dangerous things with extremely dangerous things.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I use a lot of fertilizer and herbicides at my house and have a pest company make applications for me. I truly believe all these things are safe when applied as per the instructions. Even above and beyond that I believe the chemicals are safe for humans. On the golf course, I basically have zero concern about exposure.

I wouldn't drink the stuff or apply it to my skin like lotion but I don't think you have anything to worry about in terms of bringing it home.

It's obviously not a bad idea to keep golf balls you've used away from your young child but I doubt that even if you didn't follow this practice you'd be harming him/her.

As a superintendent, I can say that if they were applying something toxic and dangerous you wouldn’t be allowed to play. HOWEVER not all people will react the same to the same products. I have put out chemicals that can kill humans, course would be closed for 2.5 days for the product to be watered in etc.

Long story short do not worry about bringing anything home with you, and unless you strip naked roll around and ingest it you’ll probably be fine.

Someone said it earlier in this thread, when these chemicals are used properly harm to humans and animals is minimized because those rates are calculated to be absorbed by the plant not left anywhere else.

One thing to consider, anything put out on the course isn’t as bad as what goes into your foods at the farm or in the fields.

As a superintendent, I can say that if they were applying something toxic and dangerous you wouldn’t be allowed to play. HOWEVER not all people will react the same to the same products. I have put out chemicals that can kill humans, course would be closed for 2.5 days for the product to be watered in etc.

Long story short do not worry about bringing anything home with you, and unless you strip naked roll around and ingest it you’ll probably be fine.

Someone said it earlier in this thread, when these chemicals are used properly harm to humans and animals is minimized because those rates are calculated to be absorbed by the plant not left anywhere else.

One thing to consider, anything put out on the course isn’t as bad as what goes into your foods at the farm or in the fields.

As a kid that grew up on a 2,000 acre crop/dairy farm some of the labels on the chemicals would even then make a kid think... Some of those chemicals are applied in ACRES (plural) per partial gallon with some serious skull & cross bones labels. If my dumb@$$ survived that im pretty sure what ever fert/pesticides/herbicides in relation to growing grass the course is using you and your baby should be fine. Just dont go licking the ground and id suggest probably keep your hands/fingers out of your mouth. If you really wanted to take caution (and what parent doesnt with their 1st kid) I would say wash your hands and change your cloths before playing with baby and you two will be more than fine. All the serious chemicals are heavily regulated with VERY VERY strict rules. Also in the interest of your course not being sued massively/shut down if they had the least bit of concern of serious harm to humans you wouldnt be allowed anywhere near what they put down.

First rule of golf: don’t lick your balls.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I am the greens chair for my course and I stick my golf ball in my mouth all the time. I’m going to die at an early age for sure! Especially after seeing the skull and cross bones!

915 D2 Adilia Rogue Silver X
915fd Adilia Rogue Black X
910h 19* Tour AD DI 8X
AP2 4-pw Project X PxI 6.5
Vokey wedges
Cameron TeI3

I have been a member of the same club for 30 years and play as often as I can and that includes playing on the day the chemicals are applied and/or the day after and my experience has been that there are no ill effects. You can actually smell the stuff and we still play. Now I don't take the stuff seriously but then a lot has to do with the kind of constitution one carries throughout life--I have always been healthy and I am sure that is the reason for the no ill effects results--for me. For you a whole different mode of conduct may be applicable.

I would caution anyone that has had or might have a problem with chemicals or pesticides to avoid the grounds until the stuff has been absorbed--why take a chance? I certainly wouldn't let a child out on the grounds when the application was recent and as far as children getting into my golf bag it is certainly no problem--my clubs never leave the trunk of my car for at least eight months a year. As is the case in most our lives, common sense is the best policy.

As an addendum there’s basically three kinds of chemical labels: caution, warning, danger. Caution products are always kept in the back of of our carts in 25 gallon spray tanks and I’ll allow anyone to put them out under our licenses. Warning products go out fairly regularly (couple times a month) and only put out by licensed individuals. Danger products are rarely put out, and if so put out only during times when the club is closed or can be closed and put out by myself or assistants because the risk is too great...some have a lethal rate of merely a few grams and if your Tyvek isn’t sealed and taped properly or you adjust your respirator and something becomes exposed accidentally.

These products are dangerous with repeated exposure (I know I have stated that you’re safe and you generally are safe I promise you that), but these products are sometimes designed to kill biological organisms (insects or weeds) that isn’t going to be good for humans. My uncle died from repeated exposure to chemicals (potato farmer in Maine). The fact of the matter is that of the 31 most common herbicides, 24 are known carcinogens and 13 cause birth defects. One of the most common and effective nematode granulars shuts down your CNS (you’re heart and lungs stop working) and has been taken off the market.

For those of you that might not know, Montsanto the company that brought you roundup just got popped for marketing roundup as safer than table salt...Glyphosate is a carcinogen that will kill you.

This isn’t meant to scare anyone, but you should be aware. Although these can be dangerous, properly managed courses take every measure to ensure that the right amount of chemical is applied in a safe and efficient manner.

As an addendum there’s basically three kinds of chemical labels: caution, warning, danger. Caution products are always kept in the back of of our carts in 25 gallon spray tanks and I’ll allow anyone to put them out under our licenses. Warning products go out fairly regularly (couple times a month) and only put out by licensed individuals. Danger products are rarely put out, and if so put out only during times when the club is closed or can be closed and put out by myself or assistants because the risk is too great...some have a lethal rate of merely a few grams and if your Tyvek isn’t sealed and taped properly or you adjust your respirator and something becomes exposed accidentally.

These products are dangerous with repeated exposure (I know I have stated that you’re safe and you generally are safe I promise you that), but these products are sometimes designed to kill biological organisms (insects or weeds) that isn’t going to be good for humans. My uncle died from repeated exposure to chemicals (potato farmer in Maine). The fact of the matter is that of the 31 most common herbicides, 24 are known carcinogens and 13 cause birth defects. One of the most common and effective nematode granulars shuts down your CNS (you’re heart and lungs stop working) and has been taken off the market.

For those of you that might not know, Montsanto the company that brought you roundup just got popped for marketing roundup as safer than table salt...Glyphosate is a carcinogen that will kill you.

This isn’t meant to scare anyone, but you should be aware. Although these can be dangerous, properly managed courses take every measure to ensure that the right amount of chemical is applied in a safe and efficient manner.

Roundup was off the shelves for a bit. I went to buy some and was told there was a lawsuit and

the product was taken off the shelves. Last time I went to buy some weed killer I noticed it was

back. Maybe new warning labels I guess. My wife tells me I should use a dust mask when

spraying weed killer in the yard. I think I will from now on.

Chemical application on the golf courses had changed over the last few decades owing to the changing climate which brought on new challenges .

Although I'm certain the application of pesticides and fertilizers is under the guideline, but washing your hands properly before you consume food or using the bathrooms is just good practice. Search for information for a proper way to wash your hands and using simple house hold items to help rid of the pesticides

Get off your clothing in the laundry room before you enter the house into the shower. I would clean myself completely before I get near the infants.

Roundup was off the shelves for a bit. I went to buy some and was told there was a lawsuit and

the product was taken off the shelves. Last time I went to buy some weed killer I noticed it was

back. Maybe new warning labels I guess. My wife tells me I should use a dust mask when

Absolutely you should. Take time to read the labels of nearly anything you spray. Roundup or insecticides whatever, I’d bet our condo that all of them say to spray with a long sleeve (shirt pants) chemical resistant boots (rubber so you can rinse them off) face protection and or breathing protection in some way shape or form...it’s called PPE or Personal Protective Equipment.

Roundup was NEVER off shelves. In my neck of the woods Roundup was always low in stock because of consumer demand due to all the rain we got down here in FL.

A little info about Glyphosate for those who think it's a carcinogen.

https://scottsmiracl...hosate-answers/

It's always, ALWAYS smart to wear gloves, mask, anything to protect your skin from coming in contact with Chemicals, and always read the back of the label in whatever product you choose to buy, because the safety claims apply only through proper use of the product.

Chemical application on the golf courses had changed over the last few decades owing to the changing climate which brought on new challenges .

Although I'm certain the application of pesticides and fertilizers is under the guideline, but washing your hands properly before you consume food or using the bathrooms is just good practice. Search for information for a proper way to wash your hands and using simple house hold items to help rid of the pesticides

Get off your clothing in the laundry room before you enter the house into the shower. I would clean myself completely before I get near the infants.

Not so much I don’t think climate change as it is simply knowledge. We didn’t know that agent orange caused cancer, you can buy herbicides that have one of the active ingredients in agent orange (2,4D) Agent orange is a mixture of 2,4,5 T (Tricholorophenyoxyacetic Acid)/2,4D(Dichlorophebyoxyacetic Acid)/Dioxin which occurred in trace amounts when those two were mixed mostly a compound call TCDD.

2,4,5T was developed back in the 30s as a defoliant, and used widely with great success but was then gradually phased out in the 70s I think because people linked it to illness.

While I agree there are new challenges, it’s not something that has radically changed the chemical composition of products. While chemists are always working on newer more efficient (expensive) products we aren’t to the point of having to go back to the drawing board on how to deal with pests and invasive weeds on golf courses just yet.

I’m not expert on AG but I’d imagine they’re more susceptible to environmental changes because they’re growing food that needs certain inputs to get the best yields, I could give you a bent grass green on the moon with the right budget.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/mp6K1004.pdf

This is a link to something called a safety data sheet or SDS. I have one of these, and most applicators if not all, will have these on file for every product they have ever sprayed in binders (ever in case an employee gets sick after leaving the company). It details what the product is, how it works, the antidote to be given etc.

This is a chemical called Speedzone, and is one of the more common herbicides applied for control of broadleaf weeds. It’s relatively cheap, and effective.

Was at a landscaping conference in February, and a scientist from NC State presented on a similar topic: exposure to herbicides after application on home lawns. 2,4-D was the test chemical. In short, traces of chemical residue came off the grass plants in the morning when the grass was still wet with dew for 3-4 days after application. Once the grass was dry, nothing came off. After 3-4 days, nothing came off wet or dry.