2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

NM44

Had the pleasure of having an ex European Tour player in the group today. It was one of those where as we were introduced in the tee I thought I recognised them, name was familiar but a bit before my time. Didn't think anything more of it as the front nine was unremarkable, one over. Drives were effortlessly straight, sneaky long. Greens hit, putts burning the edges but all the scratch/plus players at my club do that.

The back nine however was the easiest 29 I have ever seen. It clicked it was him on the 11th when short sided on 187 yard par 3, he played a flop shot that went into orbit, carried the bunker and landed in the three paces between flag and edge of the green.

Played with numerous ex/current pros, albeit not for a while and I had forgotten just how casual it is for them. Thinking about the other times the thing that stands out most for me is just how unremarkable the rounds are. I don't mean that in a cheeky way but there was absolutely no dramas, no trouble, no bad shots and there were no reactions to going four straight birdies. Calmness. It is and was a pleasure to watch in person.

Played one hole with Sir Nick Faldo. Par 3 - the three of us 5 hcps knocked in par 3s, he jammed in an 8 footer for birdie.

An old junior friend of mine made it to the Walker cup in the late 90s. Played off a UK +6.

Invited a 2 hcp colleague to play a dirt track course in Malaysia - he dropped a 67 with 2 bogeys without breaking a sweat. Best round I've seen when playing with them.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I played with a professional golfer a couple of times who played on the Nike Tour/Buy.com as well as some mini tours back in the late 90s. His name is Justin Otto. I remember playing Riverdale Dunes Golf Course in Brighton, CO. He was a pretty good player. I don't remember score but he was in the upper 60s and I shot lower 70s. One thing I remember is home #14. A driveable par 4 at 320 yards. He was green high and I drove my ball just through the green. I worked for my lower 70s score while Justin seemed to be in auto pilot.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Weekly rounds with a +3 and +1

They hit it far and always in play. But when it’s not in play it’s the short game that amazes me. Can literally get up and down from anywhere.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Get to play occasionally with a former LPGA pro, still plays a few tournaments a year. We went to Valhalla last year. Played the men's tees. She shot 72 with a double and 5 birdies her first time seeing the course. The double was the result of a bad yardage by the caddy. Boring how straight she hits it and because she hits every hard fairway, she gets 30 yards of roll. Had birdie putts on almost every hole and burned the lip 3 or 4 more times. Like others have said, shooting par for her was so effortless and it was amazing to realize how good the round could have been if a few more putts had fell. She plays fast and is fun to play with too, so that is nice! Never analyzes you during the round, but post round, she had taken a swing video and gave each of us 1 tip to work on.

• Like 1

Played in several pro-ams over the years - Craig Stadler, John Cook (twice), and Joey Sindelar.

All were great fun, and great experience to play with.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

An old junior friend of mine made it to the Walker cup in the late 90s. Played off a UK +6.

UK +6 is egregiously good for someone who still maintains a handicap. Like amongst the very top amateur golfers in the UK good.

Well ... They did make it to the Walker Cup.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I've played with several scratch, plus and professional players. I have also caddied for players in a US Open Qualifier and in a Web.com Monday Qualifier.

~ When watching or playing with a player that is a +4 or better, they make the game look completely effortless.

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

I’m fortunate to play weekly with a a group of guys where I’m the highest handicap out of the 8 with a 1 hdcp. Also been able to play with some pga and sr pga players over the years as well. There’s two things to me that stand out and is common amongst all these players. 1) short game is impeccable, they don’t make mistakes and if they do they recover immediately. 2) course management is superior, they have the discipline to play the percentages versus trying to force a shot that has low probability of being executed.

I've had a foursome in a LPGA two day pro am every year for many years. Each day you play with a different pro. Beyond that two of the guys I've played with for many years are in the scratch to + realm. Lowest I ever got my index to was 4.3 and I'm a 6.7 now. I never had the short game or putting skills to get any lower. Playing with better players makes it glaringly obvious how bad my short game and putting are in comparison. Even when I got my index to its lowest ever it was just because my ball striking was on fire for a season so my greens in regulation and proximity to the hole was its best ever.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

• 3 weeks later...

Guy that coached me and we still occasionally get together. Watched him shoot 64 at 57 (course was only 6800 yards from where we were playing). Also a friend who played the Crump Cup and a few national am events. I've seen him shoot 68. If he could putt it would have been lower. The course I grew up playing he shot the course record 63. It's so tight; if you're 10 yards off the fairway you might be in a Northeastern Jungle-type place.

Played with an lpga player. Biggest difference between us and them is they make the putts when they need them. They may miss a birdie sometimes but they make the par putts. She shot even from 6700 yards first time playing the course. I played with a buddie of mine son. The kid was in high school shot 9 under 9 birdies 9 pars.

Had the pleasure of having an ex European Tour player in the group today. It was one of those where as we were introduced in the tee I thought I recognised them, name was familiar but a bit before my time. Didn't think anything more of it as the front nine was unremarkable, one over. Drives were effortlessly straight, sneaky long. Greens hit, putts burning the edges but all the scratch/plus players at my club do that.

The back nine however was the easiest 29 I have ever seen. It clicked it was him on the 11th when short sided on 187 yard par 3, he played a flop shot that went into orbit, carried the bunker and landed in the three paces between flag and edge of the green.

Played with numerous ex/current pros, albeit not for a while and I had forgotten just how casual it is for them. Thinking about the other times the thing that stands out most for me is just how unremarkable the rounds are. I don't mean that in a cheeky way but there was absolutely no dramas, no trouble, no bad shots and there were no reactions to going four straight birdies. Calmness. It is and was a pleasure to watch in person.

That's been my experience as well. Unless you play with the rare physical freaks who have crazy swing speed, it's always struck me how similar it is to playing pool with a really high level player. They always seem to put themselves in the right spots so that everything looks so easy. Nothing really stands out from the round until you tally up the score and realize they just dropped a score in the mid to low 60s on you.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Guy that coached me and we still occasionally get together. Watched him shoot 64 at 57 (course was only 6800 yards from where we were playing). Also a friend who played the Crump Cup and a few national am events. I've seen him shoot 68. If he could putt it would have been lower. The course I grew up playing he shot the course record 63. It's so tight; if you're 10 yards off the fairway you might be in a Northeastern Jungle-type place.

Who's your friend? I know a bunch of guys who have played the Crump.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Played with a few over the years. I currently play in a pro/scratch skins game that includes various types of pros, past, present, aspiring, and club. It’s good fun and I like the competition, but I haven’t bothered buying into the low gross (there is no net) side of the game. Most of the money is in the skins themselves anyway.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

The three best players I've played with over the years:

Moriya Jutanugarn: Currently ranked 19th in the world on the Rolex rankings. 1 tour win and 19 top 10s.

Jackie Gallagher Smith: 1 time winner on the LPGA Tour and solid player for many years.

Katie Futcher: 10 career top 10 finishes on the LPGA Tour

Others of Interest:

Sara Brown of Big Break and Golf Channel fame. (Super fun)

Kelly Villarreal from Big Break Atlantis

Nicole Hage who at the time was one of the longest drivers on the LPGA Tour.

I've also played with a bunch of foreign players on the LPGA tour who've probably had decent careers but who's names escape me because the rounds weren't memorable and there was a language barrier, as well as a bunch of developmental tour players.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

I played Dominic Bozzelli, currently on PGA tour a few times. He beat me in a match play event on 18. Then played with Gavin Hall who was at Texas and playing pro in Europe

915 D2 Adilia Rogue Silver X
915fd Adilia Rogue Black X
910h 19* Tour AD DI 8X
AP2 4-pw Project X PxI 6.5
Vokey wedges
Cameron TeI3

I play quite often with a +1 golfer. Makes it look easy. Even when in trouble he’s never really in trouble. The purest ball striker I know.

Taylormade Qi10 10.5* - Tensei Black 1K 65 X

Taylormade Stealth 15* - LAGP Trono 75 S

Callaway UW 19* - LAGP Olyss 75 S

Srixon ZX Utility 23* - Tour AD-DI 95 S

Srixon ZX7 5-P - LAGP L-Series 120 S

Yururi Tour Wedge 50*/55*/60 - LAGP L-Series Wedge 120 S

Odyssey Tri Hot 5k Two - LAGP TPZ 35"

I think there are several misconceptions here:

You don’t have to hit 300 to be scratch or better.

You don’t pure everything

It won’t look like tiger at 2000 masters

Look for the guy who plays boring golf. He avoids double bogey. He birdies the par 5s. He saves par with a good short game. That’s the guy that can keep it around par and go below 70 on occasion.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I've played with 2 legit scratch golfers. One was my friends dad, he came out with us once and just goofed around and still probably shot an easy par. The other was a friend of a friend and a legit + handicap. His first time playing the course and shoots under par. Like everyone else has said, he just made everything look easy and effortless.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

Who's your friend? I know a bunch of guys who have played the Crump.

Guy whose from PA not a big name Am, but played in the Stroke Play of the US Am a few times, won a state am and also played in the match play portion of the Mid Am (Possibly). Last name Smith not Nathan.