Anybody here live around Mytle Beach?

braincramp52

I was wondering what living in or around Myrtle Beach is like. Do you have to be a damn millionaire to retire and live there? I'd like to hear from some of you South Carolina guys. The state has always interested me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I was wondering what living in or around Myrtle Beach is like. Do you have to be a damn millionaire to retire and live there? I'd like to hear from some of you South Carolina guys. The state has always interested me.

No I don’t think so.

Truly depends on the area . “Myrtle beach “ as most think of it is a huge coastline consisting of many different towns and beaches. You can go up towards little river NC and be 40 min from everywhere ( restaurants attractions etc) and probably buy a house 15 min off the coast for not much .

I live in the upstate so not an expert. But my in-laws has a condo on the golf course at little river. Course called cypress bay. They’ve since closed the course. Well condo cost $54k new in 2002ish Sold it 4 years ago for $127k. So no. You don’t have to be wealthy in my opinion if you’re smart. Now same condo in myrtle beach township maybe worth $350k ? I don’t know.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Guess you're the only person here that lives in S.C. blade!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

I don't live in MB, but I visit often. If you look up cost of living in cities, MB is low.

There are areas for all price ranges and golf courses in all price ranges.

You can find what you can afford.

Obviously a place on the beach will cost more than a place a mile inland.

Plan a trip and you will see.

My parents live in Conway, about 20 mins from the airport. They love it down there, my mom put her foot down they were not going to live on a course or next to the ocean. They are in a great subdivision, built a very nice 2300 sq ft 3/2 ranch for $235k in 2009. They are 72 & 69, taxes are very favorable, they pay under $650 a YEAR in property taxes.

My mom's big complaint is they have to drive 10-12 miles for grocery shopping.

That being said, they have seen a couple of doozy storms but never had any real damage. My mom really wanted NC but she insisted on gas stove/heat that NC didn't offer in the areas they liked. She recommends it to people to check it out.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

My parents live in Conway, about 20 mins from the airport. They love it down there, my mom put her foot down they were not going to live on a course or next to the ocean. They are in a great subdivision, built a very nice 2300 sq ft 3/2 ranch for $235k in 2009. They are 72 & 69, taxes are very favorable, they pay under $650 a YEAR in property taxes.

That being said, they have seen a couple of doozy storms but never had any real damage. My mom really wanted NC but she insisted on gas stove/heat that NC didn't offer in the areas they liked. She recommends it to people to check it out.

Thanks Crush ! The winters and property taxes here in Illinois are getting old. I have kind of a big house that is almost 6K a year in taxes. That and I would like to be able to play golf more than 7 months out of the year.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Thanks Crush ! The winters and property taxes here in Illinois are getting old. I have kind of a big house that is almost 6K a year in taxes. That and I would like to be able to play golf more than 7 months out of the year.

I live in N.E. and my old man was tired of the snow, that is why they moved. His 1st season he played 150rds of golf! His age and his friends age/health have slowed him down but he still plays in the 90-110 per yr #. They have lost a handful of friends who died young so his core group is smaller now then when he moved there.

Also the local rates make it VERY affordable. He plays at Legends a lot, I think he gets breakfast, lunch and golf for $29 as a local. That's insanely cheap!

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

lol. If you’re used to paying $6k a year in taxes you can come down here and feel rich. I’ve got a pal from Long Island who sold a lot and house that measured something like 120ft x 80ft. ( the lot ) For $370k. Built a 2 story 3 car garage for half that and pays 1/3 of the taxes . Word to the wise. Locals are easy to get on with but avoid trying to “ change things “ or tell them how much better things up north were run. That usually Illicits a “ the interstate still runs both ways pal “. Lol.

Things are slower here stilll. Most work weeks for professionals are Monday afternoon though Friday morning. Lol. But if you embrace it , it’s all good !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I like slower.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Depends on how you do it-- Like others have mentioned you can join one of the golf group packages and get good rates---- I will warn you if you still work wages are low here some of the lowest in the nation-- Taxes are not that bad--- They will gig you on re registering a out of state vehicle I think it is $350. Now the drawback on the golf is even with a local membership in tourist season the courses favor motel packages etc on tee times etc. But when you look around you can live pretty cheap. As someone else mentioned the Legends have the best deal around if you are retired and play a lot. I am on a deal with the Founders group that has 21 courses. I come out pretty decent on that earning points etc for free golf and group rates etc.

The drawback besides the low wages is in Myrtle itself. They have higher sales taxes and that place has become the crime capital. I live on the South end 8 miles from Myrtle and it has become crowded in the last 20 years I have been here because of all the BS in Myrtle. Traffic can be bad in the summer seasons because the current roads simply can not handle the mass of traffic. The infrastructure here is 25 years behind the current times. One other positive is gasoline prices in SC are among the lowest in the USA. I would have responded sooner but I just saw your post

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

lol. If you're used to paying $6k a year in taxes you can come down here and feel rich. I've got a pal from Long Island who sold a lot and house that measured something like 120ft x 80ft. ( the lot ) For $370k. Built a 2 story 3 car garage for half that and pays 1/3 of the taxes . Word to the wise. Locals are easy to get on with but avoid trying to " change things " or tell them how much better things up north were run. That usually Illicits a " the interstate still runs both ways pal ". Lol.

Things are slower here stilll. Most work weeks for professionals are Monday afternoon though Friday morning. Lol. But if you embrace it , it's all good !

LOL you got one of my favorite responses--- Yep 501 runs North to I 95 and that runs dead North-----

I live in N.E. and my old man was tired of the snow, that is why they moved. His 1st season he played 150rds of golf! His age and his friends age/health have slowed him down but he still plays in the 90-110 per yr #. They have lost a handful of friends who died young so his core group is smaller now then when he moved there.

Also the local rates make it VERY affordable. He plays at Legends a lot, I think he gets breakfast, lunch and golf for $29 as a local. That's insanely cheap!

Yep Legends is the best thing going if one is retired and plays every day (weather permitting). If I was retired I would join the Legends group

Yep Legends is the best thing going if one is retired and plays every day (weather permitting). If I was retired I would join the Legends group

What would membership fees be for doing something like the Legends group?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

I am not really sure on the rate part on the Legends group membership. I do think local prices are $29 for 18 and a cart with lunch thrown in. Another thing you will learn if you move here. After a while you will stick to basically the end of the beach you live on. I basically stick to the South end---- Which ever end you move to there are plenty of restaurants and malls etc close by and of course golf courses

• 6 months later...

Charleston area here. Not sure about Myrtle prices though id say everything is pretty much just like everywhere else. You can drop a $100k or couple Mil on a house. Same with golf you can play the muni for real cheep or find a way to wiggle into something ultra exclusive (Bulls Bay, Briars Creek, Cassique) that could cost you upwards of near 6 figures to join. State sales tax is 9% which is a bit higher than some places but it all evens out. The way i see it is id much rather pay a bit higher prices to have warmer weather, more sunshine, a beach and most importantly some of the nicest people you will ever meet. And back to the warmer weather thing if you (more importantly your wife bc you dont want her nagging ALL day about how hot it is) cant handle 100+* weather with about 9,000% humidity its not for you. Ohh yea dont forget we have some really “cool” critters. Not uncommon to walk right into a massive orb weaver web that spans about 10’ (or more) when walking the dog. Or GIANT wolf spiders, widows and recluses. Plus the occasional cotton mouth (almost stepped on one last week during a twilight round), copperheads and the ever so friendly rattlesnakes. Life is a bit different here than in the north but its a good kinda different in my opinion. Take an extended vacation or 2/3 where you think you might want to end up bc you dont get the whole picture from just a couple quick vacations where all you see/notice is the sunshine and fluffy bunny rabbits.

I work in the Chamber of Commerce/relocation business and it is hard to beat SC, TN, GA for relocation. No state income taxes and super low property taxes. Most states also don't tax investment income. There is a reason they resist change from other areas, and it is because that change how it is so much "better" other places is why their taxes are 4x higher. Great people and much more beneficial to a retirement income. Here is a good site to show how it is in TN, very similar in SC.

https://www.tnvacation.com/retire-tennessee

• 2 weeks later...

My mother lives in North Myrtle Beach, and absolutely loves it. Her condo backs up to Arrowhead (though she's not in the Arrowhead community). She (and my father, who passed in 2016) moved down there for winters about 25 years ago when she retired. Every year, winters south became longer, and summers north became shorter, until they eventually stayed down there full time. I've been down a bunch of times to visit.

I'm personally not a fan of the city itself. It's mostly strip malls and condos. Traffic is horrible during peak seasons. As others have said, the infrastructure is decades out of date. They're trying to catch up, but having a hard time, which means constant construction and more traffic problems. Once you get some local knowledge, you can avoid some of it, but eventually you'll get caught up in it. Areas south of the city proper, like Murrels Inlet and Georgetown, have a lot more charm and less traffic. Don't have much personal experience with North Carolina (MB is right on the border), but from what I hear, that's much the same as the area south of the city. Not sure how real estate costs are in Illinois, but I can tell you that MB real estate is dirt cheap compared to Massachusetts, especially if you don't mind condo living.

There are so many courses down there that it's not hard to find good ones at reasonable prices. My father would always make the 20-30 minute drive to get out of the city proper, and always swore the courses were just as good at half the price (or less). Most of my experience playing down there is with the bigger name courses, as it seemed like my parents always had a free foursome they had won in some drawing or other saved up for when we'd go visit.

The other hassle is the airport. MB airport is tiny, and the county charges such outrageous landing/takeoff fees that a lot of airlines give it a pass. It's very tough to find a direct flight in there. We get one a day from Boston, which is on Spirit, the most horrible flying experience ever.

Bottom line, you can definitely retire there and play a lot of golf for relatively short money. So many rentals available that it's easy enough to go visit and find out how you like it for yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

> @SecondandGoal said:

> My mother lives in North Myrtle Beach, and absolutely loves it. Her condo backs up to Arrowhead (though she's not in the Arrowhead community). She (and my father, who passed in 2016) moved down there for winters about 25 years ago when she retired. Every year, winters south became longer, and summers north became shorter, until they eventually stayed down there full time. I've been down a bunch of times to visit.

>

> I'm personally not a fan of the city itself. It's mostly strip malls and condos. Traffic is horrible during peak seasons. As others have said, the infrastructure is decades out of date. They're trying to catch up, but having a hard time, which means constant construction and more traffic problems. Once you get some local knowledge, you can avoid some of it, but eventually you'll get caught up in it. Areas south of the city proper, like Murrels Inlet and Georgetown, have a lot more charm and less traffic. Don't have much personal experience with North Carolina (MB is right on the border), but from what I hear, that's much the same as the area south of the city. Not sure how real estate costs are in Illinois, but I can tell you that MB real estate is dirt cheap compared to Massachusetts, especially if you don't mind condo living.

>

> There are so many courses down there that it's not hard to find good ones at reasonable prices. My father would always make the 20-30 minute drive to get out of the city proper, and always swore the courses were just as good at half the price (or less). Most of my experience playing down there is with the bigger name courses, as it seemed like my parents always had a free foursome they had won in some drawing or other saved up for when we'd go visit.

>

> The other hassle is the airport. MB airport is tiny, and the county charges such outrageous landing/takeoff fees that a lot of airlines give it a pass. It's very tough to find a direct flight in there. We get one a day from Boston, which is on Spirit, the most horrible flying experience ever.

>

> Bottom line, you can definitely retire there and play a lot of golf for relatively short money. So many rentals available that it's easy enough to go visit and find out how you like it for yourself.

I do not fly but my neighbors who fly tell me this. Now they are originally from Cleveland Ohio and still have relatives up there so from time to time they fly back. They tell me it is cheaper (gas and all) to drive 75 miles north to Wilmington NC than it is to fly out of MYR ( Myrtle Beach) . I do not know if that pertains to just the Cleveland area or everywhere

• Like 1