Wisconsin Golf Trip

Ha yes I did have an Illinois plate!

The cop was exaggerating and saying I was swirling and nearly running over a biker and crap. Load of crap.

When you get off the highway and start heading towards Lawsonia there is a little town that will write you a ticket for 2 over no matter what plates you have on your car. It's a little stretch in Ripon and they do something about it on the news every year because they write more tickets than any other place in Wisconsin. They write like 2,000 speeding tickets per year and only 500 people live in the city. The gas station there even sells souvenir T shirts about their speed trap.

My buddy got a verbal warning.....traveling east on 23 coming into town where it slows to 35, he did not slow fast enough and the officer pulled him over saying he clocked him at 55. Officer was super cool about it, ran his I'd and said if he didn't have anything in the last year he would cut him loose! Its rare, but occasionally they cut you some slack. That's the only time I can remember seeing a cop in town, other than passing by the cop shop. I'm sure they are strategically placed and I just don't see em, but this time he was in the median and easy to see. Those transition areas from 55 to 45 to 35 are an easy mark for the cops to nab people.

Just in case anyone actually cares, the town is Rosendale. Funny thing is, I've had to drive through that town about five times in my life and I've never seen a cop...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally a topic I know a little about. Hard to justify the price tag on EH, but there it is definitely a great track. WS for about the same price is a much cooler place to play a round. The River Course, the Bull, and about half of the Irish and Meadow Valley courses are great and some of the best in the state in addition to being within 20 minutes of each other.

SV and Mammoth are solid in their own way. Very forgiving off the tee and extremely central Wisconsin feeling. If you like the secluded feel that's a good choice.

Lawsonia is often not in the greatest shape, but if you like cool old course architecture it's excellent.

The Kohler trip would get my vote because of the travel ease and variety.

Not to debate the merits of the two course (I prefer EH 2 to 1) but WS is about the same price as EH? That surprises me. I played WS on a package, but assumed the rack rate was at least $400. EH is under 3.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

uh... when I went they told me caddie was mandatory at WS. the bill was 500 and another 100 for the caddie.

EH isn't mandatory caddie but if you did have one, there's a caddie "fee" to the club and then you pay the caddie separately.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

uh... when I went they told me caddie was mandatory at WS. the bill was 500 and another 100 for the caddie.

EH isn't mandatory caddie but if you did have one, there's a caddie "fee" to the club and then you pay the caddie separately.

A caddie is required on WS prior to twilight, optional for twilight play.

A caddie is required on WS prior to twilight, optional for twilight play.

i don't know how you would finish your round there playing twilight. our morning tee time was a 5.5 hour nightmare. was paired up with 3 people, 2 of which had wives walking with them. It wasn't bad or anything; just lots and lots of pictures being taken.

also the folks there never told me about optional caddie during twilight. they just said mandatory caddie if you want to play the straits.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I walked in september but I called 14 days out instead of staying there. They literally said the straits is mandatory caddie.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Only way I play straits is in May when it is about half price. I think with caddie it came out to 250-300. Have to get lucky though with the weather, and I think last year with the awful winter the course may not have been great at the time. I went a couple years ago after a mild winter and it was very good. We got 60 degrees, sunny, and light wind, but you could also get screwed and gets 40s. I am always open to paying rack rate to try a course once, for the experience, but after that, I like to find the deals.

Are the Fall rates much cheaper ? $500 plus caddy is RIDICULOUS.

it falls in line with a lot of one and done golf courses at that rate TBH

mosquitos and lots of pictures..... lots and lots of pictures..... lots and lots of mosquitos.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

The Straits books solid through the prime months. One of the unwritten reasons that caddies are required by the Straits is that they know their guests are paying a premium and expect a premium experience. The course loathes having players wait for the group ahead to clear. They count on their caddies to keep a steady pace of play no matter what the skill level of the group. I have been told by one of my caddies that they are given a narrow window to get the group through their 18, miss that window and the caddie's pay is docked as is his rating in the caddie shack.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

That must be a new rule since our guy walked it in August this year. We teed off at 10:00 AM.

If there was one caddie in the group they may let it slide as a "fore caddie" and let the single out. Not sure, but the policy is here:

https://www.american...es-and-policies

I've carried several times but every time they've let me carry we either had 3 or two guys who wanted to carry. I think they put that in place to make sure the caddies get to double every round.

I think The Straits was $400 plus $65 & Tip so you're a little over $500 and EH is $295 plus $55 & Tip so you're right around $400.

I just checked my credit card statement. The exact figure for whistling was 543.33 and Erin hills was 369.60

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Can't imagine walking and carrying on EH. We played a year ago and one of the guys brought an employee who was probably 22 and in great condition. He carried and about the 14th hole he was just spent. It wasn't overly hot that day but just a tough climb.

Can't imagine walking and carrying on EH. We played a year ago and one of the guys brought an employee who was probably 22 and in great condition. He carried and about the 14th hole he was just spent. It wasn't overly hot that day but just a tough climb.

I’m in better shape today than I was when I was 22. Some folks thinks the younger you are the better off you are. Closer to 40 now but I can carry 36 if you give me a double shot of espresso and let me double fist the back 9.

EH was an easy walk imho.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I’m in better shape today than I was when I was 22. Some folks thinks the younger you are the better off you are. Closer to 40 now but I can carry 36 if you give me a double shot of espresso and let me double fist the back 9.

Even for us old guys, the walk wasn't bad at all as we walk 99% of our rounds. Not sure that the back could hold up carrying unless the bag was really light.

Even for us old guys, the walk wasn't bad at all as we walk 99% of our rounds. Not sure that the back could hold up carrying unless the bag was really light.

That’s the key, and many people that don’t regularly carry make that mistake far too often. I carried 18 in 90 degree temps and high humidity this summer at EH and thought it was a great walk. But I had my Sunday bag with just 14 clubs, rangefinder, 6 balls, and tees. Oh, and a water bottle that I filled frequently! Also, the caddie yardage book was plenty of info to guide me (just don’t buy the cheaper of the two that is basically a picture book!).

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

That’s the key, and many people that don’t regularly carry make that mistake far too often. I carried 18 in 90 degree temps and high humidity this summer at EH and thought it was a great walk. But I had my Sunday bag with just 14 clubs, rangefinder, 6 balls, and tees. Oh, and a water bottle that I filled frequently! Also, the caddie yardage book was plenty of info to guide me (just don’t buy the cheaper of the two that is basically a picture book!).

Isn't that all the clubs you're allowed?

Having just paid Bethpage Black for $125 this year, these prices make my head spin. I think I'll stick to offpeak when I make it to WS and EH... or wait for a sizable raise :)

I don't think EH has an off peak rate. I could be wrong, but I think they open/close late/early, and have the same rate throughout their short season. I am sure someone can correct me about that.

mosquitos and lots of pictures..... lots and lots of pictures..... lots and lots of mosquitos.

When I played last year, I couldn't open my mouth on 3 and 4. It was like a plague. Mosquitos and just like normal flies. I have never seen anything like it. I made the mistake of taking my hat off to cover my face and when I looked in my hat there had to be 50+ in my hat. It was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. Had it been more than 2 holes it would have been unplayable. Honestly, it was just about panic attack inducing.

The Straits books solid through the prime months. One of the unwritten reasons that caddies are required by the Straits is that they know their guests are paying a premium and expect a premium experience. The course loathes having players wait for the group ahead to clear. They count on their caddies to keep a steady pace of play no matter what the skill level of the group. I have been told by one of my caddies that they are given a narrow window to get the group through their 18, miss that window and the caddie's pay is docked as is his rating in the caddie shack.

Phred

If true, that window is 5:30 and 5:45? That's inexcusable.

EH was very strict on pace of play as well, but at least their target is closer to 5:00.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

It was the plague Moses speaks of in book of exodus. Mosquitos as big as locusts and felt like lice when you removed your hat. Imagine having it from hole 1-9. I was ready to walk off after 9. Went double fist and almost hole in 1 on 17 made life better. But it was enough for me to never go back again. I’m sure it’s an awesome experience for some folks.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I don't think EH has an off peak rate. I could be wrong, but I think they open/close late/early, and have the same rate throughout their short season. I am sure someone can correct me about that.

When I played last year, I couldn't open my mouth on 3 and 4. It was like a plague. Mosquitos and just like normal flies. I have never seen anything like it. I made the mistake of taking my hat off to cover my face and when I looked in my hat there had to be 50+ in my hat. It was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. Had it been more than 2 holes it would have been unplayable. Honestly, it was just about panic attack inducing.

where? WS, or EH ?

where? WS, or EH ?

Sorry, WS. Erin Hills was one of the most pleasant rounds of golf I have ever played. I love both courses though.