We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Winter jacket suggestions

Comments

• MaitriMikeMaitriMike  1591Members Posts: 1,591
    chris975d wrote:

PING garments are very limited in the US, and sell out very quickly. I became a PING apparel retailer this year (primarily due to how the Norse impressed me last year), and the winter gear goes SO quickly. It's all great stuff. Mostly going to be in proshops. The Norse model on TGW is the "Zoned" model, and is not the warmer fully insulated (body, arms, and back) Norse. There are now 3 models in the Norse lineup (listing them in order of "warmness", as I own them all): Norse, Norse Fleece, and Norse Zoned.

If you have any place / insight on where to get the full Ping Norse (warmest) one, please let me know. Would love to pick one up. Thanks!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19030ClubWRX Posts: 19,030
    MaitriMike wrote:

Still can't find the Ping Norse PrimaLoft Jacket anywhere (the 2018 fully insulated one). I see one in TGW, but that's the Zoned. Anyone got any tips? Trying to get it for my Saturday round which will be in high 40's and windy.

Golfbase. UK.
    Posted:
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

MaitriMike wrote:

Still can't find the Ping Norse PrimaLoft Jacket anywhere (the 2018 fully insulated one). I see one in TGW, but that's the Zoned. Anyone got any tips? Trying to get it for my Saturday round which will be in high 40's and windy.

Golfbase. UK.

Ahh.. only in M... Not my size. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Posted:
  • chris975dchris975d Georgia 2001ClubWRX Posts: 2,001
    MaitriMike wrote:

chris975d wrote:

PING garments are very limited in the US, and sell out very quickly. I became a PING apparel retailer this year (primarily due to how the Norse impressed me last year), and the winter gear goes SO quickly. It's all great stuff. Mostly going to be in proshops. The Norse model on TGW is the "Zoned" model, and is not the warmer fully insulated (body, arms, and back) Norse. There are now 3 models in the Norse lineup (listing them in order of "warmness", as I own them all): Norse, Norse Fleece, and Norse Zoned.

If you have any place / insight on where to get the full Ping Norse (warmest) one, please let me know. Would love to pick one up. Thanks!

You might try here: https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Ping-Norse-PrimaLoft-Therma-lGolf-Wind-Jacket-Black.html

It looks like you may have to email them and ask about shipping to the US however. So I'm not positive they will ship here.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1176BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,176
    MaitriMike wrote:

chris975d wrote:

I ordered it from my pro shop. It was less expensive there than any website as well.

i can also back up what Chris said on the warmth. Outstanding. I played a few weeks ago and it was 32 degrees at tee time and never got above 38. We had a ton of wind. It was thankfully sunny out but very cold. I wore the norse with a UA base 3.0 under it. No golf shirt or anything else. We only ride in carts when we play and we had a stretch of holes where I was borderline getting too warm. It only takes a thin base layer in anything but extreme temps and its easy to swing in.
    Posted:
  • buntabunta  741Members Posts: 741
    chris975d wrote:

I have the Norse Fleece in X-Large brand new with tags if anyone is interested.
    Posted:
    TS3 / s55 / SM7 / Juno

Advertisement
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5560Members Posts: 5,560
    chris975d wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

I went for the Under Armour Storm Insulated jacket. It is hands down the warmest golf jacket I have ever owned.

I played yesterday and it was 5 Celsius which google tells me is 41 Fahrenheit. I had that and a long sleeve polo shirt on and I was genuinely feel on the verge of being too hot and that was me walking with my clubs on a Powakaddy so I wasn't getting any extra heat from carrying a heavy bag. Honestly, could not recommend these anymore.

https://www.function...7359-black.html

I've got that UA one in the rhino gray. It's good, and is very warm. But still nothing compared to the PING Norse. PING Norse continues to amaze me. It's the only jacket of any kind that has ever kept me warm, and in nothing but it and a short sleeve polo underneath. I'm a person that's so cold natured that I legitimately have goose bumps on my legs and arms at temps of 70* and below (I swear I'm part lizard...I run my shower water at 130* measured at the shower head, and that's not hot enough for me), and the Norse is like being wrapped inside a big heated quilt, yet is light as a feather with zero restriction at all.

Haha, don't try and play Golf in Scotland and this time of year!
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • sthompson42sthompson42 Texas42  70Members Posts: 70
    MattyO1984 wrote:

I went for the Under Armour Storm Insulated jacket. It is hands down the warmest golf jacket I have ever owned.

I played yesterday and it was 5 Celsius which google tells me is 41 Fahrenheit. I had that and a long sleeve polo shirt on and I was genuinely feel on the verge of being too hot and that was me walking with my clubs on a Powakaddy so I wasn't getting any extra heat from carrying a heavy bag. Honestly, could not recommend these anymore.

https://www.function18.com/outerwear/under-armour-golf-storm-insulated-jacket-1317359-black.html

Ok MattyO. Took your recommendation and got the UA Storm Insulated Jacket. UA had a $30 off deal last night so I got it for about $80. Hoping it’s as warm as your experience.
    Posted:

MattyO1984 wrote:

Ok MattyO. Took your recommendation and got the UA Storm Insulated Jacket. UA had a $30 off deal last night so I got it for about $80. Hoping it's as warm as your experience.

Feeling under pressure now! Let me know how you get on with it.
    Posted:
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19030ClubWRX Posts: 19,030
    LOL, really like the Ping Norse I got a couple months ago, but I'll take recommendations from anyone who plays in Scotland all day long!
    Posted:
    Got the UA Storm Insulate Jacket too yesterday. Now just trying to find someplace that has the ping norse available in my size that ships to the US. Such a pain. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
    MaitriMike wrote:

Got the UA Storm Insulate Jacket too yesterday. Now just trying to find someplace that has the ping norse available in my size that ships to the US. Such a pain. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Just out of curiosity, what size are you?

MattyO1984 wrote:

chris975d wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

I've got that UA one in the rhino gray. It's good, and is very warm. But still nothing compared to the PING Norse. PING Norse continues to amaze me. It's the only jacket of any kind that has ever kept me warm, and in nothing but it and a short sleeve polo underneath. I'm a person that's so cold natured that I legitimately have goose bumps on my legs and arms at temps of 70* and below (I swear I'm part lizard...I run my shower water at 130* measured at the shower head, and that's not hot enough for me), and the Norse is like being wrapped inside a big heated quilt, yet is light as a feather with zero restriction at all.

If I did, I'm bringing my Norse! Probably layer one of the other Norse models under it!
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz  807Members Posts: 807
    I’ve had a tough time finding a Norse in the US too. The couple pro shops & a driving range with Ping accounts I’ve tried haven’t been interested in trying to order one.
    Posted:
  • sthompson42sthompson42 Texas42  70Members Posts: 70

I’ve had a tough time finding a Norse in the US too. The couple pro shops & a driving range with Ping accounts I’ve tried haven’t been interested in trying to order one.

Agree, I kind of gave up on the Norse for that reason. Too hard.
    Posted:
  • kermitmkermitm  235ClubWRX Posts: 235
    Has anyone been able to buy one in the US?
    Posted:
    chris975d wrote:

MaitriMike wrote:

I'm a size S. M is too baggy for most jackets. Definitely like the slimmer look for me.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    MaitriMike wrote:

chris975d wrote:

MaitriMike wrote:

I'm a size S. M is too baggy for most jackets. Definitely like the slimmer look for me.

I sent you a PM.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1176BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,176
    kermitm wrote:

Has anyone been able to buy one in the US?

Me, from my pro shop. Just ask them to ask their rep. If they are willing to ask it can be ordered from anyone with a ping account. Took a few weeks for mine to come in but I ordered right when it was being rolled out
    Posted:
    chris975d wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

chris975d wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

If I did, I'm bringing my Norse! Probably layer one of the other Norse models under it!

That should about do it! It's a balmy 46 F here this morning with winds of 45 mph...as I was heading into work, I still some some of the hardcore seniors parking up at the club and getting their bags out...way to keen those old guys!
    Posted:
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Holein8Holein8  457Members Posts: 457
    MattyO1984 wrote:

chris975d wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

[url="https://www.function18.com/outerwear/under-armour-golf-storm-insulated-jacket-1317359-black.html"]https://www.function...7359-black.html[/url]

Highland softie!
    Posted:
  • kermitmkermitm  235ClubWRX Posts: 235
    Does anyone have any reviews of the ping Norse primaloft zoned full zip jacket that is available In the US? I tried one on today, but would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. Thanks for your help
    Posted:

Advertisement
    kermitm wrote:

Does anyone have any reviews of the ping Norse primaloft zoned full zip jacket that is available In the US? I tried one on today, but would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks for your help

I have it (have all the Norse line-up), and in my opinion, it's the let down of the Norse family. I am stating this as a ridiculously cold-natured person (read some of my other posts), but the Zoned is by far the least warm of the 3 Norse family. I (again, very cold-natured) freeze in the Zoned. The arms have zero insulation, and the body has very little compared to the fully insulated Norse or the Norse fleece. I would say (personal opinion, for my use at least) it's a light cover up for a chilly early Fall or late Spring day. Not a Winter jacket unless you want to wear several layers, which, in that case (layers), it might be pretty good. I personally try to wear as few layers as possible, as that just leads to more overall bulk. I don't want to play golf if I have to have a bunch of crap on, which is why the fully insulated Norse is my go to. I can wear only it down to close to freezing temps, and it's light and not restrictive at all.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • portlandportland  1078Members Posts: 1,078
    Just ordered this from Golfbase UK:

Ping Collection Mens 2018 Norse PrimaLoft Insulated Quilted Golf Jacket

It ships via Royal Mail, hope it arrives in 10 days or so.

I ordered size Medium which Ping says is chest size 38-40.

With some cool weather in store for NC until mid-March, I am really looking forward to use this jacket with minimal layers underneath.

Thanks for all the tips Chris, your feedback was key to me buying the Norse.

Posted:
    Taylormade M1 10.5*
    Callaway GBB Epic 15*
    Callaway XR 19*
    Taylormade p790 5-P,A
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
    Srixon Z Star
    chris975d wrote:

kermitm wrote:

Does anyone have any reviews of the ping Norse primaloft zoned full zip jacket that is available In the US? I tried one on today, but would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks for your help

I have it (have all the Norse line-up), and in my opinion, it's the let down of the Norse family. I am stating this as a ridiculously cold-natured person (read some of my other posts), but the Zoned is by far the least warm of the 3 Norse family. I (again, very cold-natured) freeze in the Zoned. The arms have zero insulation, and the body has very little compared to the fully insulated Norse or the Norse fleece. I would say (personal opinion, for my use at least) it's a light cover up for a chilly early Fall or late Spring day. Not a Winter jacket unless you want to wear several layers, which, in that case (layers), it might be pretty good. I personally try to wear as few layers as possible, as that just leads to more overall bulk. I don't want to play golf if I have to have a bunch of crap on, which is why the fully insulated Norse is my go to. I can wear only it down to close to freezing temps, and it's light and not restrictive at all.

Chris, I feel cold just reading your posts! Haha.
    Posted:
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
    MattyO1984 wrote:

chris975d wrote:

kermitm wrote:

I'm CONSTANTLY cold. It sucks. I would LOVE to live where it's 95-100 degrees F all year long. I love that temperature range. Like I said...I think I'm part lizard.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    chris975d wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

chris975d wrote:

kermitm wrote:

I'm CONSTANTLY cold. It sucks. I would LOVE to live where it's 95-100 degrees F all year long. I love that temperature range. Like I said...I think I'm part lizard.

We just need to find slim fitting insulated, windproof and waterproof golf pants to match. If anyone has some insight on that, i'd definitely want!

Closest thing i've found.. https://www.jlindebergusa.com/p/padded-schoeller-3xdry-pants-18014?categoryid=524.. but kind of pricey... LOL
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ace036ace036  2030Members Posts: 2,030
    Has anyone tried this hybrid jacket from Sun Mountain? I can't seem to find any reviews via a Google search... It's priced well, but just not sure how warm it keeps you or how it fits, performs, etc...

https://shop.sunmountain.com/hybrid-jacket-23840-detail
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5° - Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 757x
    Titleist TS3 16.5° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7x
    Srixon Z U85 20° - KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 85 s+
    Titleist 718 AP2 (4-PW) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 54.08M (55°) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 60.12D - Project X 6.0
    Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F
    My Ping Norse Primaloft jacket arrived from the UK today, took about 2 weeks.

I ordered a size Medium and it’s about right, I think a small would be too tight.

It’s very warm, wore it in the rain today (45*) doing errands and it was perfect (maybe a little too warm, it traps your body heat). I won’t have a chance to test it on the links until end of this month but feels very easy to swing in and it’s not noisy.

The sleeves near wrist are a little loose, I wish they were elastic. That’s my only small complaint.

Edit - for some size perspective, I recently ordered the Sunice Huxley in Small and a Nike Aeroloft vest in Medium and all 3 fit very similar.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 10.5*
    Callaway GBB Epic 15*
    Callaway XR 19*
    Taylormade p790 5-P,A
    Srixon Z Star
    portland wrote:

I ordered a size Medium and it’s about right, I think a small would be too tight.

It’s very warm, wore it in the rain today (45*) doing errands and it was perfect (maybe a little too warm, it traps your body heat). I won’t have a chance to test it on the links until end of this month but feels very easy to swing in and it’s not noisy.

The sleeves near wrist are a little loose, I wish they were elastic. That’s my only small complaint.

Edit - for some size perspective, I recently ordered the Sunice Huxley in Small and a Nike Aeroloft vest in Medium and all 3 fit very similar.

Quick review on this jacket. It is the best winter jacket for golf. I played in temps of 38*-42* with wind where the “real feel” temp was about 5 degrees lower. All I had on was a short sleeve golf shirt, the Ping Norse, winter pants and a beanie. It’s truly amazing how warm this jacket is and how easy it is to swing in. My playing partner had 5 layers on and could hardly swing a club.

Also, now that I have worn the jacket a few times, I like that the sleeves do not have elastic.

The Ping Norse (UK version) is THE winter jacket for golf. No debate.

All we need Ping to do is make it widely available in the US.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 10.5*
    Callaway GBB Epic 15*
    Callaway XR 19*
    Taylormade p790 5-P,A
    Srixon Z Star

Advertisement
    portland wrote:

portland wrote:

I ordered a size Medium and it's about right, I think a small would be too tight.

It's very warm, wore it in the rain today (45*) doing errands and it was perfect (maybe a little too warm, it traps your body heat). I won't have a chance to test it on the links until end of this month but feels very easy to swing in and it's not noisy.

The sleeves near wrist are a little loose, I wish they were elastic. That's my only small complaint.

Quick review on this jacket. It is the best winter jacket for golf. I played in temps of 38*-42* with wind where the "real feel" temp was about 5 degrees lower. All I had on was a short sleeve golf shirt, the Ping Norse, winter pants and a beanie. It's truly amazing how warm this jacket is and how easy it is to swing in. My playing partner had 5 layers on and could hardly swing a club.

Also, now that I have worn the jacket a few times, I like that the sleeves do not have elastic.

The Ping Norse (UK version) is THE winter jacket for golf. No debate.

All we need Ping to do is make it widely available in the US.

Now you see why I've been singing the praises of this jacket for over a year now! lol. It's crazy how warm and non-restrictive it is. And it's coming back again (from what I hear, in maybe other colors than black) for this next year too.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.