What is "great"?

CTgolf

Chatted with another junior golf parent yesterday, the discussion veered towards other local area juniors and the parent touted them as "prodigies" and "future stars". I thought about this afterwards, and realized that, while the aforementioned juniors had won their respective local US Kids Tour, they had never really played well in Worlds (not top 50) nor even played well in USK Regional events. So I guess the question I have is...what would level of accomplishment would you consider to be "great" in Junior Golf? Is it top 25 in an International World Championship? Placing in a USK Regional event? Being invited to a prestigious tournament?

For context, we were discussing 10-12yo boys.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t consider 10-12yr as junior golf; more like kids golf and success as 10-12 means nothing about the future.

Back to your questions..winning local tour is a great achievement as a first step and similarly winning and placing regional and in worlds is great second and third step in the journey of golf..

I don’t consider anyone winning as 10-12yr at local or world level as a prodigy etc.

Chatted with another junior golf parent yesterday, the discussion veered towards other local area juniors and the parent touted them as "prodigies" and "future stars". I thought about this afterwards, and realized that, while the aforementioned juniors had won their respective local US Kids Tour, they had never really played well in Worlds (not top 50) nor even played well in USK Regional events. So I guess the question I have is...what would level of accomplishment would you consider to be "great" in Junior Golf? Is it top 25 in an International World Championship? Placing in a USK Regional event? Being invited to a prestigious tournament?

Anyone who is competing at worlds has a chance to be great (as do others). I look at kids who are exceptional for their size, as opposed to age, when trying to project. If a 10 year old that’s as big as 12-13 year olds and overpowers short courses doesn’t constitute great....yet.

That age is too early to determine which, out of all these very good players, will become great.

My thoughts are to get them to fall in love with the game and hopefully the desire will continue to grow as they start going through puberty. Had a junior golfer that was great and stayed great in our area. Got a full ride and is playing professionally now.

915 D2 Adilia Rogue Silver X
915fd Adilia Rogue Black X
910h 19* Tour AD DI 8X
AP2 4-pw Project X PxI 6.5
Vokey wedges
Cameron TeI3

Here is my take anything under 14 is just noise generally speaking. I see kids with custom PXG club as kids playing tournaments where there really is not much oversight winning at any costs. It all means nothing.

Most junior tournaments at young age are very very short. A kid with a more developed short game usually wins. Even as old as 12-13 I see kids who can learn good technique to drive the ball far enough with a good short game to win. One the yardage increases then unless your able to drive the ball x distance your going lose. You simply can teach that extra 30-40 yards.

To be successful I believe you need to be successful at major junior events that are not age specific. Means playing with 18year olds. Some of those kids will be pro’s in a few years. If you win those it might be time to think about a pro career.

When I think of greatness as a junior.. the name Alexa Pano comes to mind. I think she is 13 now but accomplished a lot before she was 12. Im sure every top golf program will be after her and I bet for sure she will be playing in the LPGA sooner or later.

I agree. WHAT?? HH agrees with Kekoa? Easier to tell a girl golf prodigy than guys because they have more opportunists to perform in pro events. I don't think anyone can name a male golf prodigy other than Tiger Woods. Everyone knew he would be great. Anyone else throwing that term around is just throwing that term around for no reason. It is safe to say that Pano will be on tour. Everyone knew Pressell, Thompson, and Wie would be on tour. I would assume that Lucy Li will be on tour. I see boys and think they may have a chance, but there is more parity in boy's golf than girl's golf.

Most parents and the general public don't have a clue when it comes to golf. I was at a tournament with my son this weekend. A few of the members were following his group around and I was chatting with them. These are members that play golf at this facility all of the time. They were asking if the boy's were hitting the ball over 300 yards. I chuckled when they asked. They were 250ish with one being around 270ish at times. They thought a 75 was a good score for these kids and again I chuckled.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I think kids that are used to bent grass always struggle at Pinehurst. Places like mid pines and Pinehurst 1 that hold ages 7-9, grain really matters and affects putting/short game a lot. It’s just an adjustment that’s hard to trust at that age. Some pros hate poa out west and the Florida swing.

I also think kids in the northeast are not “all in” when it comes to golf. Weather makes it difficult and, generally, it’s not like these kids can practice every day all year round. Putting aside talent (I think everyone that goes to worlds is pretty talented), there seems to be a direct correlation between success at larger events and hours put in. I would guess that most local tour champions in the northeast have put in half the number of hours into the game as those from the south or out in California.

I think kids that are used to bent grass always struggle at Pinehurst. Places like mid pines and Pinehurst 1 that hold ages 7-9, grain really matters and affects putting/short game a lot. It’s just an adjustment that’s hard to trust at that age. Some pros hate poa out west and the Florida swing.

I also think kids in the northeast are not “all in” when it comes to golf. Weather makes it difficult and, generally, it’s not like these kids can practice every day all year round. Putting aside talent (I think everyone that goes to worlds is pretty talented), there seems to be a direct correlation between success at larger events and hours put in. I would guess that most local tour champions in the northeast have put in half the number of hours into the game as those from the south or out in California.

Plenty of good golfers in the northeast the problem is if you like golf and excel at it why would you live up in the northeast. There is almost no reason to live there anymore.

Just like a person who plays hockey generally is not going to live in Florida by choice.

I think kids that are used to bent grass always struggle at Pinehurst. Places like mid pines and Pinehurst 1 that hold ages 7-9, grain really matters and affects putting/short game a lot. It's just an adjustment that's hard to trust at that age. Some pros hate poa out west and the Florida swing.

I also think kids in the northeast are not "all in" when it comes to golf. Weather makes it difficult and, generally, it's not like these kids can practice every day all year round. Putting aside talent (I think everyone that goes to worlds is pretty talented), there seems to be a direct correlation between success at larger events and hours put in. I would guess that most local tour champions in the northeast have put in half the number of hours into the game as those from the south or out in California.

Plenty of good golfers in the northeast the problem is if you like golf and excel at it why would you live up in the northeast. There is almost no reason to live there anymore.

Just like a person who plays hockey generally is not going to live in Florida by choice.

I can think of a few factors...career being a major one...family being another. Things that come ahead of junior golf...at least for me.

When I think of greatness as a junior.. the name Alexa Pano comes to mind. I think she is 13 now but accomplished a lot before she was 12. Im sure every top golf program will be after her and I bet for sure she will be playing in the LPGA sooner or later.

I agree. WHAT?? HH agrees with Kekoa? Easier to tell a girl golf prodigy than guys because they have more opportunists to perform in pro events. I don't think anyone can name a male golf prodigy other than Tiger Woods. Everyone knew he would be great. Anyone else throwing that term around is just throwing that term around for no reason. It is safe to say that Pano will be on tour. Everyone knew Pressell, Thompson, and Wie would be on tour. I would assume that Lucy Li will be on tour. I see boys and think they may have a chance, but there is more parity in boy's golf than girl's golf.

Most parents and the general public don't have a clue when it comes to golf. I was at a tournament with my son this weekend. A few of the members were following his group around and I was chatting with them. These are members that play golf at this facility all of the time. They were asking if the boy's were hitting the ball over 300 yards. I chuckled when they asked. They were 250ish with one being around 270ish at times. They thought a 75 was a good score for these kids and again I chuckled.

Ty Tryon - who didn't think he was going to be great.

If I go further back in time - Eddie Pearce. Played with some truly greats, like Gary Koch, Andy Bean, Crenshaw, Kite.

For some reason, his greatness never materialized as he grew.

He could hit every shot in the book.

I'm just sayin' your 2018 Division I High School Champs are from Southern California: USA Hockey Div I

Florida is not a winter sports location I don't think it is ideal if your into playing winter sports in general. When I lived in Southern California in less then 2 hours I could actually be on the slopes skiing and there is plenty of places to skate out there with rollerblades and plenty of hockey around there as people there play without ice year round. Would have never left there if it wasn't so expensive for everything.

I am just saying if you like golf enough and to be great you will have to love it enough to move. I also believe you will choose move to where you can play year round. If you look at where most of the Pro's playing today live it is generally not in the Northeast or anywhere cold for 6 months of the year.

I don't consider 10-12yr as junior golf; more like kids golf and success as 10-12 means nothing about the future.

Back to your questions..winning local tour is a great achievement as a first step and similarly winning and placing regional and in worlds is great second and third step in the journey of golf..

I don't consider anyone winning as 10-12yr at local or world level as a prodigy etc.

Agree....What a junior does before 12, gives them a solid foundation no doubt. But, once they hit AJGA, they start new. Some are good, some fall back. You really do not have a clue until they are 14-15.

Many US Kids superstars, fall back into the pack, average at elite levels. Some, pick up where they left off and continue to improve

I don't consider 10-12yr as junior golf; more like kids golf and success as 10-12 means nothing about the future.

I don't consider anyone winning as 10-12yr at local or world level as a prodigy etc.

Agree....What a junior does before 12, gives them a solid foundation no doubt. But, once they hit AJGA, they start new. Some are good, some fall back. You really do not have a clue until they are 14-15.

Many US Kids superstars, fall back into the pack, average at elite levels. Some, pick up where they left off and continue to improve

From what I've seen the kids that are super starts normally two things stick out in the sub 10 year old groups. They have better short games than most and can put. A lot of cases their parents played at a high level as well. I wouldn't call them great ball strikers at all.

In moving up this season not much really changed expect you play with kids that are about to move up so it becomes DCP for them. Some have really bad flaws in their swings.

I agree with this. What you do at this age has no impact on how good they will or won't be. Way to many variables to control that or even predict their future success.

From what I've seen the kids that are super starts normally two things stick out in the sub 10 year old groups. They have better short games than most and can put. A lot of cases their parents played at a high level as well. I wouldn't call them great ball strikers at all.

In moving up this season not much really changed expect you play with kids that are about to move up so it becomes DCP for them. Some have really bad flaws in their swings.

I agree with this. What you do at this age has no impact on how good they will or won't be. Way to many variables to control that or even predict their future success.

The problem I see with kids who win under 10 and hoping there going to be great is they play on courses that have holes that average less then 200 yards. It also on courses that usually have no hazards in the way.

When they reach 13-14 the courses get a lot longer and harder. You can't just roll it up or lay up anymore to win. If you can't keep you driver in the fairway or get out of steep bunkers or get out of the rough or figure out how to keep trouble but still hit the green in regulation it's going to be an issue in a multiple day tournament.

some kids do evolve but many never had the ability to begin with. I see a lot kids especially girls who are small and not very strong who do well until they get to the longer yardage and they simply are not strong enough to be competitive.

It was very apparent last week after sitting at an LPGA event on the last day watching groups finish the round on a long par 4. The first groups who at the bottom had a very hard time driving the ball. There was no way they could hit the green in regulation. Some had great short games but they had to really struggle to par the hole. The second group could hit the ball well enough to get to the green in 2 but had a hard time actually hitting the green.

The 3rd group hit the green but was not close to the pin.

The last few groups who were the best players all drove the ball a lot farther and closer to the green. They also hardly ever needed a 2 nd putt because it was pretty close to the pin. The result was a lot of birdies happend.

Bottom line is you need strength and accuracy to win and just an OK short game.

I'm just sayin' your 2018 Division I High School Champs are from Southern California: USA Hockey Div I

Plus two of the teams near the top of pool play were from FL

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_boys_ice_hockey_in_Minnesota

Just saying no Minnesota HS teams were there so results will be somewhat skewed minus shattuck

This sounds great in principle, but not backed up by actual historical results

Here is one example from the US Kids Golf website:

Top 5 finishers in 2012 US Kids Monterey Challenge (Regional) are currently ranked #75, 14, 23, 2 and 107 in their class (four 2020 and one 2021)

There was another thread where HH tracked the % of US Kids Worlds participants who went on to play college golf and it was surprisingly high

Top 5 finishers in 2012 US Kids Monterey Challenge (Regional) are currently ranked #75, 14, 23, 2 and 107 in their class (four 2020 and one 2021)

There was another thread where HH tracked the % of US Kids Worlds participants who went on to play college golf and it was surprisingly high

I’m more interested in the opposite statistic: what does it take for an average golfer to turn the corner and become highly-ranked? Not to read too much into the above stat, but I read there are 102 golfers that ranked ABOVE one of the Top-5 finishers at Monterey. Obviously Monterrey is not PInehurst, and many kids don’t make that trip. But as a parent of a young golfer NOT named Alexa Pano, I’m interested in what it takes to get there, not stay there.

Most of us reading this board are not sitting on the next Tiger Woods. And most kids playing D1 on a scholarship ddI not finish Top 10 at USKG Worlds. In fact, most kids at a D1 school never played Worlds. I’d bet most kids playing Collegiate golf never made a significant mark on their local USKG tour.

I’m more interested in the opposite statistic: what does it take for an average golfer to turn the corner and become highly-ranked? Not to read too much into the above stat, but I read there are 102 golfers that ranked ABOVE one of the Top-5 finishers at Monterey. Obviously Monterrey is not PInehurst, and many kids don’t make that trip. But as a parent of a young golfer NOT named Alexa Pano, I’m interested in what it takes to get there, not stay there.

Most of us reading this board are not sitting on the next Tiger Woods. And most kids playing D1 on a scholarship ddI not finish Top 10 at USKG Worlds. In fact, most kids at a D1 school never played Worlds. I’d bet most kids playing Collegiate golf never made a significant mark on their local USKG tour.

What you are saying is not necessarily incorrect. Keep in mind I am just simply commenting that the "success as a 10-12yo doesn't matter" statement seems a bit off. I am basing my comment on actual statistics and evidence, and not anecdotes or gut feel.

I grew up in Central California w/ hs grad year 2012. To all of us playing against him, Dechambeau was the guy to beat. Some guys could challenge him, and occasionally beat him, but he usually won. Seems like it was that way from 7th grade (when I started playing) through high school. He had a bad year his junior season when he switched to that one plane swing, but aside from that he won everything there was to win in northern california. I think JGANC still uses a picture of him as their banner.

Although I don't think he ever won the junior world tournament or made a deep run in the US Junior Am. But it is interesting to look back at the results of the Jr. World from 2011 and see him 2nd to Hossler with Si-Woo Kim in 6th, Grayson Murray in 10th and Xander in 14th. Makes me wonder what happened to the other guys.

You probably should consider Murray's 3 consecutive JW wins as great, and he has gone on to win on the PGA tour, but it's probably a lot different than what people expected from him. Sort of like that interview with Koepka from last year where he said that his coach told him that he had underperformed in his career until he won the US Open '17.

Repeat the following until you start to believe it…there is no such thing as elite junior athletes…there is no such thing as elite junior athletes…

yeah I'm going to highly disagree. Did you ever watch LeBron play in HS? or younger? Tiger? Go watch Barry highlights from HS. There are elite junior athletes across all sports.

Repeat the following until you start to believe it…there is no such thing as elite junior athletes…there is no such thing as elite junior athletes…

yeah I'm going to highly disagree. Did you ever watch LeBron play in HS? or younger? Tiger? Go watch Barry highlights from HS. There are elite junior athletes across all sports.

4 million kids born in the US every year and you name two that became elite athletes from different generations. I guess if you throw enough s*** at a wall someone's going to call it art.

Well it was 3 but....

Now are there elite athletes under 10 I’m gonna go with nope not even close.

So what set the mad scientist apart from the rest of the fields he played against?

He had above average length off the tee and a really good short game. Led to him shooting low scores more consistently than anyone else in our area. But that doesn't take you to the PGA tour. He had (and has) insane work ethic. His dad was the head pro of a golf course out in Madera (Riverbend, now Dragonfly) and Bryson was always there working on his game. He didn't play any other sport than golf up until he gave volleyball a chance as a senior in highschool. Not sure why he played volleyball since it was the same season as golf, but maybe he was treating his senior season as a victory lap since he had already been signed to go play for SMU the next fall.

His personality seems pretty similar now to what it was then. After a match in 8th grade where I was in his group, he shook my mom's hand and thanked her for coming out to watch him. lol

His mental game was vulnerable in highschool and he played very emotionally. Tears were shed on multiple occasions even after he had won a tournament because he didn't play as well as he wanted to. I think the SMU coach was great for him from a mental game standpoint.