2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Wisconsin Golf Trip

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just paid Bethpage Black for $125 this year, these prices make my head spin. I think I'll stick to offpeak when I make it to WS and EH... or wait for a sizable raise :)

sand valley and Mammoth was $173.03 for 36 same day and you can grab a b level caddie for 50/60 bucks a round. way better pace and experience than WS.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Anyone have any thoughts on A caddies vs B caddies at Sand Valley? Good/bad experiences with either one?

I don't normally take a caddy when I can avoid it and I will tell you that the level of caddy at Whistling is like PGA Tour compared to 12 year old caddy training day at Sand Valley. I'm sure that will get better with time for Sand Valley but the caddies at Whistling are all pros and caddy year round. I've had guys who caddy in Phoenix and guys who caddy in Palm Springs when I've taken caddies at Whistling.

I would pay the extra money to get a better caddy at Sand Valley. I know they'll get it figured out as they get busier but I took caddies out there twice last year and neither met my expectations.

If you want to play 36 holes in a day at Sand Valley you can make it to Sentry World in about 40 minutes. In June we did Sand Valley in the morning the drove over and played a relaxing cart round at Sentry World and then the following day with did the Sand Box and then Mammoth. I enjoy walking but trying to go 36 a day when you're on vacation is a little much for me.

I had a very good experience with my B caddie at SV - Mammoth Dunes on Labor Day weekend. He gave me good lines off the tee, and was pretty good at reading the greens. We were the first off the tee in the early morning, and we had a great time.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Having just paid Bethpage Black for $125 this year, these prices make my head spin. I think I'll stick to offpeak when I make it to WS and EH... or wait for a sizable raise :)

sand valley and Mammoth was $173.03 for 36 same day and you can grab a b level caddie for 50/60 bucks a round. way better pace and experience than WS.

I'll definitely be doing a SV roadtrip before I do a WS one, much more affordable and I'm game for 36 holes/day especially with the cheap replay rate.

I'll definitely be doing a SV roadtrip before I do a WS one, much more affordable and I'm game for 36 holes/day especially with the cheap replay rate.

The difference is the timing so get it in before the rates go crazy. Whistling was never crazy until they had the PGA and same with EH.

Mammoth still had some growing to do in June but both courses should be in good shape next year. They're adding another one too and it is actually cool to do the tour as they are building them. We played SV a couple years ago and were able to walk Mammoth as they were getting it ready to seed. The new one is called Sedge Valley and I'm not sure what the timing is to build it but it would be cool to play SV and Mammoth and then walk Sedge if they are letting people preview it.

What was rack rate at whistling 10-15 years back ?

I’m amazed that ws is booked months in advance as well considering the economics of things.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Anyone have any thoughts on A caddies vs B caddies at Sand Valley? Good/bad experiences with either one?

I actually got a Junior caddy last year. I think his name was Christian or something like that. Very nice kid, but new to caddying. He made plenty of mistakes, but nothing that cost me any strokes (well, maybe 1). I only had him help me read 2 putts and he did fine. After the round, I was given a comment/grade card for him where I put a few suggestions (mainly things like where to stand in certain situations).

I'm amazed that ws is booked months in advance as well considering the economics of things.

I remember in 2005 it was $250 which included the caddie fee and that was the year after the PGA was there. In 2002 I think it was $150 but I played with someone who worked for Kohler Company and they paid almost nothing.

I have a hard time believing it's booked months in advance because I take clients up there two or three times per year and we never have a problem getting on the Straits without staying there. It might be tough to get the right tee times to play 36 in a day but I don't think the course is ever full to 100% capacity.

uh... when I went they told me caddie was mandatory at WS. the bill was 500 and another 100 for the caddie.

EH isn't mandatory caddie but if you did have one, there's a caddie "fee" to the club and then you pay the caddie separately.

A caddie is required on WS prior to twilight, optional for twilight play.

i don't know how you would finish your round there playing twilight. our morning tee time was a 5.5 hour nightmare. was paired up with 3 people, 2 of which had wives walking with them. It wasn't bad or anything; just lots and lots of pictures being taken.

also the folks there never told me about optional caddie during twilight. they just said mandatory caddie if you want to play the straits.

I've played twilight at WS the last two summers. I finished both times. It was my experience that (just by chance), noone had teed off about an hour prior to my tee time. So, I got to play the first 4-5 holes without catching anyone. But in every instance of catching a group, the caddies in that group waived me thru immediately. My first time playing twilight (2017), I played in 2 hrs and 48 minutes. The pro shop was amazed!!!

And as far as a required caddy, they are only required BEFORE twilight.

uh... when I went they told me caddie was mandatory at WS. the bill was 500 and another 100 for the caddie.

EH isn't mandatory caddie but if you did have one, there's a caddie "fee" to the club and then you pay the caddie separately.

Can't imagine walking and carrying on EH. We played a year ago and one of the guys brought an employee who was probably 22 and in great condition. He carried and about the 14th hole he was just spent. It wasn't overly hot that day but just a tough climb.

EH was an easy walk imho.

I've walked/carried EH 3 times. Age was 48, 49 and 50. I did not find it difficult at all, but I walk 100% of my rounds thru the summer. In the last round I played there, a 69 yr old man walked/carried right along side myself and two younger guys who where carrying. That older gentleman might have been tired, but he did not act fatigued or worn out.

I don't normally take a caddy when I can avoid it and I will tell you that the level of caddy at Whistling is like PGA Tour compared to 12 year old caddy training day at Sand Valley. I'm sure that will get better with time for Sand Valley but the caddies at Whistling are all pros and caddy year round. I've had guys who caddy in Phoenix and guys who caddy in Palm Springs when I've taken caddies at Whistling.

I would pay the extra money to get a better caddy at Sand Valley. I know they'll get it figured out as they get busier but I took caddies out there twice last year and neither met my expectations.

If you want to play 36 holes in a day at Sand Valley you can make it to Sentry World in about 40 minutes. In June we did Sand Valley in the morning the drove over and played a relaxing cart round at Sentry World and then the following day with did the Sand Box and then Mammoth. I enjoy walking but trying to go 36 a day when you're on vacation is a little much for me.

Every time I have played SV with a A Caddie they were transplants from Bandon or Streamsong and Top Notch. One guy was older about 55-60 and had been a caddy his whole life and was top notch, doubled bagged and was quick as can be.

Every time I have played SV with a A Caddie they were transplants from Bandon or Streamsong and Top Notch. One guy was older about 55-60 and had been a caddy his whole life and was top notch, doubled bagged and was quick as can be.

I agreed to take a younger guy one time and that was a mistake on my end and the other one was a college kid who only cared about the drives he bombed the week before and tinkering with the clubs in all of our bags. My biggest pet peeve when taking a caddy is when he takes a club out of my bag and starts swinging it. I don't really care what my caddie's swing looks like.

I was playing with three founding members when we took the younger kid so it is understandable that they would ask the members to help groom a caddy.

It is a total class facility so I'm sure all of those problems will get weeded out.

IDK, think I'd rather not have to mind a teenager while also trying to play golf ;-)

I am sure they will get a better more experienced roster the longer SV is open, but the B caddies I saw there last year weren't good for much more than carrying your bag and I heard more stuff where they'd have been better off zipping it. Nice enough, but not up to snuff for a 'premier' golfing destination, not even close.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

IDK, think I'd rather not have to mind a teenager while also trying to play golf ;-)

I am sure they will get a better more experienced roster the longer SV is open, but the B caddies I saw there last year weren't good for much more than carrying your bag and I heard more stuff where they'd have been better off zipping it. Nice enough, but not up to snuff for a 'premier' golfing destination, not even close.

just being price conscious for some of the folks here. i am a very considerate person. trying to steer people away from regrets.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

just being price conscious for some of the folks here. i am a very considerate person. trying to steer people away from regrets.

No no, I like our double-act here... remember to tip your server folks ;)

I played the Irish Course in 2h 45min last year for $75 + top drawer caddie; however, I will agree that the Straits and Blackwolf can get slow due to their difficulty, especially compared to the football field fairways at SV.

Of our foursome at Bandon last week, I definitely would recommend SV over Kohler for two of them, they'd get killed at the latter.

Fortunate people in Wisconsin to have all these top such and such courses at hand :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

No no, I like our double-act here... remember to tip your server folks ;)

I played the Irish Course in 2h 45min last year for $75 + top drawer caddie; however, I will agree that the Straits and Blackwolf can get slow due to their difficulty, especially compared to the football field fairways at SV.

Of our foursome at Bandon last week, I definitely would recommend SV over Kohler for two of them, they'd get killed at the latter.

Fortunate people in Wisconsin to have all these top such and such courses at hand :)

We've got 9 of the top 100 facilities that are open to the public and that doesn't include either course at Sand Valley or University Ridge where they play a Sr. Tour Event. University Ridge had a renovation so it may make it but both courses at Sand Valley will make it on that list when they're eligible. Kohler is starting a new course and so is Sand Valley so in the next 5-7 years Wisconsin could potentially have 14 of the top 100 public facilities. That's pretty impressive.

I don't normally take a caddy when I can avoid it and I will tell you that the level of caddy at Whistling is like PGA Tour compared to 12 year old caddy training day at Sand Valley. I'm sure that will get better with time for Sand Valley but the caddies at Whistling are all pros and caddy year round.

Exactly our experience last August.

I'm amazed that ws is booked months in advance as well considering the economics of things.

I remember in 2005 it was $250 which included the caddie fee and that was the year after the PGA was there. In 2002 I think it was $150 but I played with someone who worked for Kohler Company and they paid almost nothing.

I have a hard time believing it's booked months in advance because I take clients up there two or three times per year and we never have a problem getting on the Straits without staying there. It might be tough to get the right tee times to play 36 in a day but I don't think the course is ever full to 100% capacity.

It looked very full when we were there in August. We booked 10 months in advance because it was a group golf trip and we needed to lock down tee times. Even then we had to juggle some days to get preferred tee times.

Think it was in the range of $250 back in the early 2000's.

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of the round there are booked as part of a golf package and WS is a touch better priced with a hotel and other golf included.

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of the round there are booked as part of a golf package and WS is a touch better priced with a hotel and other golf included.

Not surprised that it is booked. Really you have a world class venue drawing players from everywhere who want to play in July August or September. That aint a lot of tee times. Having played and paid rack rates staying at the central hotel at Kiawah, Pebble, Streamsong, Pinehurst, Bandon, Sand Valley, Erin Hills, Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, and others; Kohler was the most disappointing from a value perspective. This from a guy who is not cost averse. While Pebble was more expensive at the Lodge, the overall experience being on property around the course and ambiance IMO it represented a far greater value. I would suggest paying the higher rack rate at WS to AVOID staying at the american club, which is an inferior experience from a value perspective than those mentioned above.

Not surprised that it is booked. Really you have a world class venue drawing players from everywhere who want to play in July August or September. That aint a lot of tee times. Having played and paid rack rates staying at the central hotel at Kiawah, Pebble, Streamsong, Pinehurst, Bandon, Sand Valley, Erin Hills, Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, and others; Kohler was the most disappointing from a value perspective. This from a guy who is not cost averse. While Pebble was more expensive at the Lodge, the overall experience being on property around the course and ambiance IMO it represented a far greater value. I would suggest paying the higher rack rate at WS to AVOID staying at the american club, which is an inferior experience from a value perspective than those mentioned above.

Not to get too off topic, but I thought Pebble was the most disappointing experience. I felt like I was just another number there, while at courses you mentioned (only 1 i haven't done is pineurst) I felt like they went out of the way to take care of you and almost like you were a member of a country club for a day. Pebble just felt too get in get out bring the next person, stack money, repeat.

Interesting. Not counting Kiawah's incredibly good value winter stays which blow the others out of the water; we find Kohler's 3 days + replays/2 nights stay to be excellent value.

Pinehurst and Pebble being the worst 'value'. Everyone has their IMHO, but not sure what part of all the tour buses and looky-loos leads to a better ambiance.

Pebble is an awesome course, but being in that fishbowl knocks the 'experience' down a peg for me.

F.T.

Interesting. Not counting Kiawah's incredibly good value winter stays which blow the others out of the water; we find Kohler's 3 days + replays/2 nights stay to be excellent value.

Pinehurst and Pebble being the worst 'value'. Everyone has their IMHO, but not sure what part of all the tour buses and looky-loos leads to a better ambiance.

Pebble is an awesome course, but being in that fishbowl knocks the 'experience' down a peg for me.

Totally get this sentiment, and see how many feel this way. I guess to qualify my opinoin I must submit that I have not found a better golf ambiance than the huge balcony off the rooms in the Alvorada building at the lodge fronting the 18th fairway overlooking still water cove, or having dinner as the sun sets at the Bench seated at the firepits as the last groups roll up 18. More expensive yes, IMO better value than anything the American club has to offer. Dont read this as a knock on Kohler. It is world class to be sure, but for my tastes the American Club is a solid skip. This opinion values the actual golf similarly.

Totally get this sentiment, and see how many feel this way. I guess to qualify my opinoin I must submit that I have not found a better golf ambiance than the huge balcony off the rooms in the Alvorada building at the lodge fronting the 18th fairway overlooking still water cove, or having dinner as the sun sets at the Bench seated at the firepits as the last groups roll up 18. More expensive yes, IMO better value than anything the American club has to offer. Dont read this as a knock on Kohler. It is world class to be sure, but for my tastes the American Club is a solid skip. This opinion values the actual golf similarly.

I personally don't stay up there very often but I have and whenever I take clients or friends they stay there and I can tell you that you're in the overwhelming minority when you say skip the American Club. I get that everyone has their own taste but you are literally the first person I've heard that hasn't loved their stay there. I haven't played Pebble since 2013 and when I played the conditions were pretty bad and about half the holes on the course are kind of duds but there is nothing better than the accommodations there. I would give you that Pebble's are nicer but that's like trying to compare a Bugatti to a Pagani, both are great.

In terms of The Straits being full you have to also remember that there is a private membership. I knew someone who was a member but he moved away about five years ago and at the time they shut down the Straits one day a week as the exclusive member only course. I'm not 100% sure if that is still the case but I would imagine that it is. Still as I said I've never had a difficult time getting a group out but we're always lose on the time and when I call it's usually give me sometime between 10:00 and 1:00.

That's fair enough. I just find the hustling and bustling overshadows the physical setting and those views. And then all the foot traffic during the day really puts a damper on things for me. I actually prefer sitting on a bench watching groups come up 9/18 at The Straits, to 18 at Pebble.

I think NCGA specials and then a nice spot in PG or Carmel can be excellent value as such; however, then we're appling and oranging things.

Of course I prefer sitting on the deck in the Golf suite at Bandon, seeing the ocean and watching groups come up 18 there more than any of them :)

Apologies OP (is he still around, lol) for the rabbit hole digression here. I'm out.

F.T.