Why isn't there a stronger correlation between fairways hit and GIR?

LongWayToGo

I was looking at the stats for fairways hit and GIR and I didn't see a very strong correlation between the two, which I found surprising. It would seem as though the guys who hit fairways should also be able to find more greens than the rest of the field. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this phenomena?

I would hypothesize that because they hit the fairway they get more aggressive to a pin (scoring opportunity) vs the ones who miss and adjust the goal to the center of the green (GIR objective).

Edit and Mark Brodie is the guy who can likely shed more light on this subject.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't get it. It has been proven closer in the rough is similar if not better than further away in the fairway.

On a really difficult golf course id rather be in the fairway, having an idea on how my ball will react on the green then further in the rough (case in point Oakmont, Bethpage, (Tournament conditions, FAST greens)) (IMHO). Also one can't offer an opinion like that without statistical evidence (who are we even talking about- tour players? quality amateurs?).

the courses you mentioned are US Open courses. That’s an anomaly. we are also talking about tour players. The guys OP was talking about when he noticed fairways hit and GIR aren’t directly correlated. I would go and bring statistical evidence but I’m too lazy to go on pgatour site and look up the evidence again. I already went over it with my coach when we talked about how improving fairways hit was less important than trying to gain 5mph clubhead speed and working on proximity with wedges. I believe Mark Broadie, the creator of the strokes gained statistic, wrote a book explaining in further detail

I believe Mark Broadie, the creator of the strokes gained statistic, wrote a book explaining in further detail

Broadie's book, Every Shot Counts, was a pretty thorough analysis of scoring on the PGA Tour and the research was the basis for the Strokes Gained stats.

In a nutshell, the statistics showed that over the long term being closer was better than being in the fairway. There are a few things that people forget about his analysis;

1. It's a long term statistical analysis of PGA Tour shotlink data so there will be specific scenarios (6" rough or knee high fescue) where the results aren't valid.

2. To properly do strokes gained, you need to be comparing a pretty decent set of data to average out effects like weather, different green complexes, etc.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I believe Mark Broadie, the creator of the strokes gained statistic, wrote a book explaining in further detail

Broadie's book, Every Shot Counts, was a pretty thorough analysis of scoring on the PGA Tour and the research was the basis for the Strokes Gained stats.

In a nutshell, the statistics showed that over the long term being closer was better than being in the fairway. There are a few things that people forget about his analysis;

1. It's a long term statistical analysis of PGA Tour shotlink data so there will be specific scenarios (6" rough or knee high fescue) where the results aren't valid.

2. To properly do strokes gained, you need to be comparing a pretty decent set of data to average out effects like weather, different green complexes, etc.

And the am data was very limited and the results for pros don't necessarily translate into as many meaningful conclusions or recipes for ams for a number of reasons.

Still, for tour pros, longer generally better off the tee and McCann is correct about GIRs (and he ought to know).

Drivers ideally hit slightly on the upswing, irons are normally leaned and hit down on... Just a thought. I'm a good driver of the golf ball who doesn't hit the irons particularly well from a GIR perspective.

I understand the mechanical differences between a driver and iron swing. For me, the more fairways I hit, the easier it is for me to hit greens. Maybe I should start keeping a better record of my fairway/GIR ratio.

that doesn't matter. This year my fairways hit would've ranked me around 60th on tour but I was ranked 4th in GIR. Why? Because when I hit it 320 I usually missed the fairway but I was hitting SW into the green when most of my playing partners hit 8i or more. Yes being in the fairway certainly helps, but there's a point where you're so close to the green it doesn't matter. You should keep track of strokes gained vs outdated Fairways, Greens, Putts imo

Im guessing you also had better angles into the green as well a good majority of the time.You are absolutely right about the short irons.Pelz did that study of pro golfers and theyre better off with a wedge in their hands even out of the rough. The advantage falls in the 25%+ range or gir.Thats a significant advantage on the field.

As it relates to the PGA TOUR (which is what the OP referenced) the lack of correlation can be explained largely by three factors ... the set up of the courses, the length of the courses, and the distance players are getting off the tee.

Most of these guys have nothing more than an 8 iron into the majority of par 4 greens, and coming out of very manageable rough, hitting a green in regulation just isn't a stiff challenge these days.

If the courses on TOUR averaged 7,800-8,000 yards long, and the rough grown to four or five inches high, you would most certainly see a greater correlation.

Not saying that I'm advocating such things. ;)

GIR is one thing but $$$ is made from the proximity stats.... for various reasons it's easier to hit the approach closer from the fairway than the rough....

depends on how close you are from the rough vs fairway. obviously all things the same the fairway is easier.

exactly. Even if we’re talking proximity I would take my chances hitting it inside of your ball if I had 120 in rough vs you 175 in the fairway.

When I play I’m more concerned with getting he best angle to the pin then I am being in the fairway. That’s what I spend most of my practice rounds doing. Finding what club to hit off the tee, where you can miss approaches etc are the easy parts. But where do I want to come into the green for certain pins? Sometimes that answer is in the rough. If the rough isn’t too bad sometimes I’ll aim towards it to a back pin so it will release towards the hole if I end up missing the fairway

You don't get it. It has been proven closer in the rough is similar if not better than further away in the fairway.

On a really difficult golf course id rather be in the fairway, having an idea on how my ball will react on the green then further in the rough (case in point Oakmont, Bethpage, (Tournament conditions, FAST greens)) (IMHO). Also one can't offer an opinion like that without statistical evidence (who are we even talking about- tour players? quality amateurs?).

It's not really about how difficult the course is, it's about how firm the greens are. If you are playing on firm, fast greens you had better be in the short grass... Reality is you can count on 1 hand how often the tour is played in those conditions.... Therefore, it's bombs away.

GIR is one thing but $$$ is made from the proximity stats.... for various reasons it's easier to hit the approach closer from the fairway than the rough....

depends on how close you are from the rough vs fairway. obviously all things the same the fairway is easier.

exactly. Even if we're talking proximity I would take my chances hitting it inside of your ball if I had 120 in rough vs you 175 in the fairway.

When I play I'm more concerned with getting he best angle to the pin then I am being in the fairway. That's what I spend most of my practice rounds doing. Finding what club to hit off the tee, where you can miss approaches etc are the easy parts. But where do I want to come into the green for certain pins? Sometimes that answer is in the rough. If the rough isn't too bad sometimes I'll aim towards it to a back pin so it will release towards the hole if I end up missing the fairway

Yup its the only way i play in tournaments.I admire guys who grind it out and consistently leave themselves 165-175 in the fairway but i just cant score consistently that way. i feel like i leave 4-5 birdie chances out there if i dont do that.Practice rounds are used for that, where you can miss and whats the best angle coming in. If the green is concrete sure fairways are a premium but how often does that happen all year? very few jumpers and flyers today out of the rough. even without square grooves its almost a sure bet youre catching the green and having a putt at it. Hope the offseason is treating you well!! best of luck next year, keep up the great play

Because distance to the hole is majorly important.

You can hit a mediocre shot from 130 yards and it is likely to end up closer to the hole than a better than average shot from 170 yards. That's a laying up scenario.

But, when you take something like one player just being far longer than the other player, not only would the longer play be hitting from 130 yards, they could be hitting something like a SW due to their speed versus the shorter hitter may be hitting a 7-iron due to their lack of speed and it's just more difficult to find greens with a 7-iron than it is a SW.

I run into this issue occasionally with Tour clients that are struggling with their short game around the green. They start to lay-up more often off the tee because they think they will find more fairways and that will translate into more GIR's and less short game shots around the green. Then I show them the math where that is actually false...that by laying up more often they will have more short game shots around the green because they will hit fewer greens.

RH

The rough simply isn't deep or thick enough.

As strong as many of the long ballers are...you'd need to make the rough about knee height.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

As strong as many of the long ballers are...you'd need to make the rough about knee height.

Depends on the course, some courses nowadays there's barely any rough, even less than for the average player, makes me think that they want the scores to be -20 to show 'these guys are good'. Then often the rough gets trampled by spectators. So you can get a situation where there's first cut, a very small patch of reasonable rough and then big patches of essentially first cut again when you go way off target.

For me, there should be a greater reward for hitting fairways, that should be a fundamental aim of the game. You don't see it often enough these days.

As you get to senior status, you will tend to value fairways more than you did as a youngster.

See that in our men's league. I think there are only 2 or three guys 60 or older that are good enough to play as an A or B player as we play the ball down. Only reason one of those 3 plays AB is at 65+ he gets to play from the senior tees. Most of the rest of the seniors play as C and D players as that group plays preferred lies.

Our course's rough is brutal and especially so this year as we had record rainfall and the mowers couldn't keep up and often the rough was 4-7 inches.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Depends on the course, some courses nowadays there's barely any rough, even less than for the average player, makes me think that they want the scores to be -20 to show 'these guys are good'. Then often the rough gets trampled by spectators. So you can get a situation where there's first cut, a very small patch of reasonable rough and then big patches of essentially first cut again when you go way off target.

For me, there should be a greater reward for hitting fairways, that should be a fundamental aim of the game. You don't see it often enough these days.

It will never happen until they shrink the driver.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It's because the guys who hit the most fairways aren't among the longest drivers on tour. Yeah, they hit a lot of fairways, but they're also a long way from the green compared to the guys who bomb it. So, they're going to miss more greens.

There comes a point where a drive is so long that it doesn't matter that it missed the fairway. It's too easy to hit greens from there.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

I think what people are missing here is that the players who don't hit many fairways still hit quite a lot and they tend to be hitting it a long way too. The guys who hit a lot of fairways still miss a few and they tend to be shorter. In 2018 on the PGA Tour, first in driving accuracy was 75%. 55% was 174th. So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. If the person hitting it 55% of the time hits it 30 yards longer, that's a huge advantage (1st and 174th in driving distance was 33 yards difference). 20% of the time he's hitting it from the rough while the other guy is in the fairway, but he's 30 yards closer, so he might be losing a fraction of a shot, but not a lot. The 80% of the time they are either both in the fairway or both in the rough, he's making up large fractions of a shot.

If someone hits it 30 yards longer, but misses every fairway while the other guy hits every fairway, then yeah, hitting the fairway is better, but it doesn't work like that.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I think what people are missing here is that the players who don't hit many fairways still hit quite a lot and they tend to be hitting it a long way too. The guys who hit a lot of fairways still miss a few and they tend to be shorter. In 2018 on the PGA Tour, first in driving accuracy was 75%. 55% was 174th. So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. If the person hitting it 55% of the time hits it 30 yards longer, that's a huge advantage (1st and 174th in driving distance was 33 yards difference). 20% of the time he's hitting it from the rough while the other guy is in the fairway, but he's 30 yards closer, so he might be losing a fraction of a shot, but not a lot. The 80% of the time they are either both in the fairway or both in the rough, he's making up large fractions of a shot.

If someone hits it 30 yards longer, but misses every fairway while the other guy hits every fairway, then yeah, hitting the fairway is better, but it doesn't work like that.

Not sure I'm getting your percentages. Assuming independence (probably wrong as both are playing the same hole).

Both in the fairway .75 *.55 = .41

Both missed .25 * .45 = .11

one hit other missed .75 * .45 = .34

one missed other hit .25 * .55 = .14

both either missed or both hit = .52 (80%?)

one missed and one hit = .48

Not sure I'm getting your percentages. Assuming independence (probably wrong as both are playing the same hole).

Right, but the one missed and one hit will skew in favor of the longer hitter sometimes. Let's say it's 0.12 of a shot advantage to be in the fairway and 0.1 of a shot advantage to be 30 yards longer.

A hits it longer and hits the fairway 55% of the time. B hits it shorter and hits the fairway 75% of the time.

A hits fairway and B hits fairway 0.55 x 0.75 = 0.4125, giving A an advantage of 0.1

A hits fairway and B misses fairway 0.55 x 0.25 = 0.1375, giving A an advantage of 0.22

A misses fairway and B hits fairway 0.45 x 0.75 = 0.3375, giving B an advantage of 0.02

A misses fairway and B misses fairway 0.45 x 0.25 = 0.1125, giving A an advantage of 0.1

Average advantage to A is therefore: 0.4125 x 0.1 + 0.1375 x 0.22 - 0.3375 x 0.02 + 0.1125 x 0.1 = 0.076 of a shot per hole

Compare that with just looking at it as if it's 80% of the time they're the same. These give A an advantage of 0.1 and 20% of the time B has an advantage of 0.02, so that's 0.8 x 0.1 - 0.02 x 0.2 = 0.076 of a shot per hole. It's because it doesn't matter if it's the same hole or not. If you miss a fairway and I hit a fairway, but then the next hole I miss a fairway and you hit a fairway, then, at least in my simplistic example, that has no impact on our scoring versus we both miss the first and we both hit the second.

Ping G400 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 UST Recoil 95x

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I don't think this is all that complicated. Correlation is only interesting in this context if it signals or is evidence of a cause and effect relationship. That CE relationship has always been assumed, and was demonstrable without shotlink data from the 20s to the 90s. All you had to do was go watch a PGA Tour event during that time and you could see that players valued hitting fairways, and that players that didn't hit fairways generally scored worse and earned less. A number of factors today have diminished the cause and effect relationship, so the correlation is now lower. The simple translation is that it has become easier for the modern player to attain competitive proximities from the rough with a shorter iron. Strokes gained data should show a discrepancy between the "punishment" factor that should be associated with hitting it in the rough and the missing advantage that should be resident in the data for hitting it in the fairway. Most of it is in setup, but a good bit I'm sure is attributable to players today being more adept at hitting short irons from light rough. It's a skill that can be improved upon like any other skill. The penalty or punishment factor for being in the sand has also diminished over the years, in part due to course setup (the consistency and prep of the hazards...as though that should actually be of high importance), and in part due to an increase in the relative skill level that comes from focusing more on that type of shot. What is clearly lagging behind is a style of course setup that would offset some of these natural, expected changes. If players see an advantage in being better at sand play, they're going to work at it. If the Tour wanted to maintain some historical element of bunkers being penal, then the setup has to adapt and change as well. In reality, it would appear that isn't happening. The type of sand used is more consistent. The depths and prep are much better. Bunkers over time have become easier to play from, and players have become ever better at it. And so the penalty for being in one is diminished.

Same for driving the ball. If the problem of diminished difficulty from the rough is never identified, then it will never be addressed. Especially if the modern attitude is that driving accuracy shouldn't be all that important as one of the skills that distinguishes good players from great players.

Right, but the one missed and one hit will skew in favor of the longer hitter sometimes. Let's say it's 0.12 of a shot advantage to be in the fairway and 0.1 of a shot advantage to be 30 yards longer.

A hits it longer and hits the fairway 55% of the time. B hits it shorter and hits the fairway 75% of the time.

A hits fairway and B hits fairway 0.55 x 0.75 = 0.4125, giving A an advantage of 0.1

A hits fairway and B misses fairway 0.55 x 0.25 = 0.1375, giving A an advantage of 0.22

A misses fairway and B hits fairway 0.45 x 0.75 = 0.3375, giving B an advantage of 0.02

A misses fairway and B misses fairway 0.45 x 0.25 = 0.1125, giving A an advantage of 0.1

Average advantage to A is therefore: 0.4125 x 0.1 + 0.1375 x 0.22 - 0.3375 x 0.02 + 0.1125 x 0.1 = 0.076 of a shot per hole

Compare that with just looking at it as if it's 80% of the time they're the same. These give A an advantage of 0.1 and 20% of the time B has an advantage of 0.02, so that's 0.8 x 0.1 - 0.02 x 0.2 = 0.076 of a shot per hole. It's because it doesn't matter if it's the same hole or not. If you miss a fairway and I hit a fairway, but then the next hole I miss a fairway and you hit a fairway, then, at least in my simplistic example, that has no impact on our scoring versus we both miss the first and we both hit the second.

Not sure what you are getting at here. But from the original post:

"So that means on average 80% of the time those two people are hitting from the fairway or not the fairway. "

doesnt' work.

It does matter if the results are dependent and probably are, given that the two players are playing the same hole. Some are much easier than others to hit in the fairway. Without independence you can't just multiply probabilities to get the joint probability.