Most memorable (Coolest) moment on a golf course?

BobbyLite

My brother and I play each year in a better ball tournament. A few years ago we are in the final group on the final day and come to 18 down 1 to a team that went low. They are on the putting green just to the left of the 18 th green.

18 is a reachable par 5. I'm just off the green in two and my brother is on in two about 25 feet away. I chip up to 4 feet and go ahead and finish. I make 4, guaranteeing a playoff.

There are about 200 or so people around the green and my brother reads his putt and I ask if he's got it. He looks at me and smiles and says, I got it. He steps up and holes it for 3 to win. The guys on the practice green huff off, slam their putter in their bags and bolt. I give my brother a hug and he says "told you I got it"

Man! Makes me smile just writing it down. My favorite moment on the golf course.

That is one of the coolest stories ever! :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got out of my cart on a course in the hills of SoCal and started practice swinging. Then I looked over at my buddies thinking they're going to hit....and all they're doing is pointing in my direction. I'm like "WTF". But then they EMPHATICALLY pointed and I turned around and there were two Mountain Lions about 30 yards away...and for those cats that distance takes about 4 seconds. i BRIEFLY looked their way and SLOWLY got into my cart and beelined it well away. Then one of the cats ventured over and picked up my ball....then spit it out.

THE MOST unplayable ball EVER...except for Gators in Florida! Not sure if it's the coolest thing ever, or most life-death thing ever on a course.

Holing a long birdie-put on 13 in our last mens league tournament of the year, to take that years prize in the eclectic ("superscore") tournament. Nr. 2 on the list had taken it from me on hole 3, so taking it back was great :) He didn't appreciate it as much as I did :D

The one ace I have, was also pretty cool

The Sunol Valley Golf Course was closing and as it had been my high school home course, my best friend and I played the last 9-hole round on the palm course. Darkness was falling as we finished 9, and decided to play 17 and 18, our favorite back-9 holes one last time. We get to the 18th tee and a threesome is there, they wave to us to come over. We do.

There’s a plaque on the ground there in someone’s memory. The threesome is deaf, so communication is difficult, but one of the guys pulls out his phone and shows us a picture of them with a fourth guy. He points at the guy and then points at the plaque. Chills. We take their picture with the plaque and let them play out 18. We finished up behind them.

I don’t know if the plaque is still there in the wasteland that used to be a golf course; I like to think that they came back and dug it out.

Playing golf with my 12 year old the first time. I now understand what my grandfather felt when he first played with me.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 3 weeks later...

Have had about 2-3 extremely close calls with lightning. I've been within a strike and felt it shoot up my body and then nearly crap my pants. Not getting killed by lightning has been the coolest.

Grew up playing in Kansas where thunder and lighting storms can get pretty intense.

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

Watched my dad tee off on #1 and make a hole on 1 on the 9th green. Demanded his name be put on a plaque for an ace on 9. #9 is a 420 par 4 with a 90° dogleg left with internal OB. Needless to say it’s never been aced. He did not get his name on the plaque but still had to buy beers ???

I was playing in a four man scramble with some family friends and my brother, and my dad was tagging along just to watch. He loved to play, but hip pain kept him from finishing and fully enjoying a round.

On one of the last holes, we had all hit our drives on a long par 4 and he got out of the cart and walked up the tee. Grabbed my brothers driver, pulled a ball and a tee out of his pocket, and PIPED one down the middle without saying a word. Mind you he hasn’t swung a club all day... Once it lands, he turns around hands my brother his club, makes a smart alike comment about never judging a book by its cover, and gets back in the cart. He’s now passed away, but it’s easily one of my more memorable moments on a course.

The Sunol Valley Golf Course was closing and as it had been my high school home course, my best friend and I played the last 9-hole round on the palm course. Darkness was falling as we finished 9, and decided to play 17 and 18, our favorite back-9 holes one last time. We get to the 18th tee and a threesome is there, they wave to us to come over. We do.

There’s a plaque on the ground there in someone’s memory. The threesome is deaf, so communication is difficult, but one of the guys pulls out his phone and shows us a picture of them with a fourth guy. He points at the guy and then points at the plaque. Chills. We take their picture with the plaque and let them play out 18. We finished up behind them.

I don’t know if the plaque is still there in the wasteland that used to be a golf course; I like to think that they came back and dug it out.

That is pretty awesome.... chills

BIL and I playing at Harbour Town (not the tournament course) standing on a tee box taking photos of a pretty little fawn having a drink from a pond. Sploosh! A large gator takes the thing and heads across the pond directly at us, it’s lair was at the base of the tee box. The coolest moment with photos to prove it.

For me, it was a college golf meet. I played horrific on the front 9 (+7, 43) and my mom happened to be following me that meet. I see her as I'm walking to the 10th hole and she says some words of encouragement to me. I proceed to have 3 chip ins, an eagle, and drain a 50 footer to shoot 31 on the back and win the entire meet. It was awesome. I chipped in on the last hole and my mom went nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

My dad passed away two years ago and was who got me into golf. He had never seen a hole in 1 and the last round he ever played my buddy got one. Was already a special round going into it for me and that made it better. Get to have that memory with my buddy and myself every time we are on that hole. Dad also holed out a chip from behind the green two holes earlier which was cool, like 40-50ft.

• 2 weeks later...

My 3rd HIO, but the only one that was witnessed. Start out solo, playing holes 1-4, see my buddy, also flying solo finish up 4 and he waits for me on the tee on 5, a par 3, two tiered long and narrow green, pin is on the front tier just left of center, I ask my buddy the yardage (he has a laser, I don't as I use a gps), he says 124. I pull GW, put the tee in the ground, then the ball. Two practice swings and pull the trigger. It's going right at it, gently leaning right to left, pitches a foot short, hops just past the pin narrowly missing the flag on the right, spins back, and disappears. We look at each other in disbelief and high 5!

Shaking my best friends hand on the No.1 tee box at Pebble Beach last July!

He had long proclaimed this as a bucket list item for him.

This shake further cemented a friendship that began as young boys 50 years earlier. What I thought would be a very expensive round of golf instead became a priceless memory that began with that simple hand shake and will last as long as we are both on this earth. I have hit a few pretty decent shots through the years, put up a few decent rounds in competition, but none of it comes close to that hand shake!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

On vacation in Thailand and was playing Thai CC and got grouped with some guys. CEO of Accor hotels Asia, Accor hotel country manager, country manager of Starbucks adn then..... me).

He asked if I wanted to play in their skins game. I said sure as I had never played the course at that point and was a 14 handicap at the time I think. Long story short I am down like 60-80 dollars to each guy at the 18th tee and they allow everyone who is down to press for double or nothing. I think hmmmm I'm down $200 bucks and have to use the ATM anyway to pay them, so why not chance it. It is a short part 4 maybe 365, slight dogleg right with water left and long. I tee off with 5 wood just short of the bunker on the left in the rough. I take out a 9 iron as I have about 145 to the hole and end up just off the green in the right rough. I chip to about 10 feet past......

Ok .... if you are still reading you are bored out of your mind so I'll make it fun. I get a stroke from the CEO and he is on the green in regulation to about 9 feet. I'm playing even with the other two guys. One of them went into the drink so I got him. The Accor country manager he is in the bunker front left and hits to about 12 feet.

CEO is waiting as he is inside me at 9 feet, Accor country manager wasn't even close with his putt as he tried to ram it in and went about 6 feet past. So now I'm 10 feet and need to make it to make it to assure myself of at least tying CEO and will for sure beat Accor CM.

I wasn't putting very well that day but told myself give it a run as I tend to hit up on putts and they run out of steam quick. BAM! In the hole baby! I have Starbucks already beat before the putt and Accor CM is beat with me making it so we are left with CEO! Charles Wrightman is his name and is British, raised in Australia and has a Thai wife and loved talking Thai to our all female caddies and cavorting and so on. His swing was ugly as hell as he holds the club with about an inch or two separation of his hands and hits the wall very low. I was like WTF how is this guy a 5 handicap, but he knew how to golf his ball.

Anyway we all remind each other that I have beat Accor CM and Starbucks, and can make an epic comeback if this doesn't go in. He lines it up and burns the edge, awwwww too bad.)))) haha

Great memory for me definitely. Like my only time hitting a straight flush as the Grand Lisboa Poker Room in Macau 5 years ago, you remember the details.

Playing as a junior at my local course. I was stood on the 6h tee, which is quite elevated. There was some sort of airshow on nearby that day to commemorate the Battle of Britain. As I put my tee in the ground, I hear a buzzing noise, and I look up to see a Spitfire fly low up the 6th fairway and right over me on the tee. It felt like I could have hit with a high sand wedge, though really it had to be much higher than that.

Damn, those were beautiful planes.

I just had a very cool moment. I've been recovering from serious injury, serious enough to question whether I'd ever be able to play again. I've been rehabbing myself to exhaustion, but I've lost a lot of muscle and with it a lot of coordination. A rare nice day afforded me the opportunity to hit the range for the first time in months. My swing is still there. Very cool!

I just had a very cool moment. I've been recovering from serious injury, serious enough to question whether I'd ever be able to play again. I've been rehabbing myself to exhaustion, but I've lost a lot of muscle and with it a lot of coordination. A rare nice day afforded me the opportunity to hit the range for the first time in months. My swing is still there. Very cool!

I am thrilled for you!!! I believe unless you have been down this road, it is really hard to appreciate the depth. There are a lot of things in life where there is a great difference between hearing the news, and being told the news. For example, if you hear your neighbor has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, that news is horrible. If an oncologist comes in a room and tells you that you have pancreatic cancer, your very being is rocked.

When you love something and you think you may lose it forever, it can shake you. When you have suffered a serious injury, you are dealing usually with severe pain physically and psychologically. I know that after a motorcycle wreck that compound fractured both arms, caused me to go from 185lbs to 132lbs and I could only curl 2.5lbs while working out....I would look in the mirror and my body disgusted me and I was told I would never play golf again. It hurt! When I first got on the course again, I was SO thankful! FWIW, I now curl the same 30lb weights in each hand that I did before the wreck and my HC is only 5 higher than is was. When I look in the mirror I am still not very pretty cause never was :-)....but I have muscle mass and coordination just like before.

Just hang in there and accept baby steps. Lord willing you will once again enjoy this game...maybe even more. I am pretty appreciative every time I walk on the course now knowing that it could have all been gone. I hope you hit them well my friend and congratulations on your progress!!!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I am thrilled for you!!! I believe unless you have been down this road, it is really hard to appreciate the depth. There are a lot of things in life where there is a great difference between hearing the news, and being told the news. For example, if you hear your neighbor has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, that news is horrible. If an oncologist comes in a room and tells you that you have pancreatic cancer, your very being is rocked.

When you love something and you think you may lose it forever, it can shake you. When you have suffered a serious injury, you are dealing usually with severe pain physically and psychologically. I know that after a motorcycle wreck that compound fractured both arms, caused me to go from 185lbs to 132lbs and I could only curl 2.5lbs while working out....I would look in the mirror and my body disgusted me and I was told I would never play golf again. It hurt! When I first got on the course again, I was SO thankful! FWIW, I now curl the same 30lb weights in each hand that I did before the wreck and my HC is only 5 higher than is was. When I look in the mirror I am still not very pretty cause never was :-)....but I have muscle mass and coordination just like before.

Just hang in there and accept baby steps. Lord willing you will once again enjoy this game...maybe even more. I am pretty appreciative every time I walk on the course now knowing that it could have all been gone. I hope you hit them well my friend and congratulations on your progress!!!!

Thank you so much! It's clear you understand the situation. I'm all the way up to 2 lb lateral raises, and I am spectacularly sore from my little range session yesterday. Still, I feel a sense of hope this morning that I haven't felt in months.