Tiger and GolfTV Agree to Exclusive Content Partnership.

Tate

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense, signing Tiger gives them some leverage with advertisers.

Yeah but will the viewers share the same enthusiasm? He's a big name in golf but not 2000 big.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Would love to read some thoughtful commentary on what this really means, too bad journalism is dead.

First thing as a layperson that comes to mind is it that Discovery is a Canadian company, that is owned by a parent company CTV that is owned in part (20%) by ESPN which is 80/20 Walt Disney/Hearst read ABC. The Golf Channel is NBC. I think a lot of this is predicated by replay rights on ESPN and how exclusive they are going to remain to cable and internet providers. Their content has been all over the map lately and I imagine it has become increasingly expensive for them to show "all of sports" on Sportscenter.

For Tiger, it seems he's turning up the volume trying to drown out the Escalade / Perkins / Sex Rehab era followed by the pain pills DUI incident. Maybe not a bad move. He's seemed a lot more humble, natural, and simply happier since his fall from grace and the successful surgery which I'm guessing has rendered him a less physically painful existence.

The problem as I see it is that all of those years "protecting an image" left him a little robotic and weird in front of a camera. I didn't watch the Match, but there was lot of commentary that he wasn't very captivating being mic'ed up. Hmmm.... perhaps we've been in love with Tiger (I'm guilty) because we don't get much Tiger? Will this be too much Tiger?

Much as I love golf, I don't think the sport can sustain two dedicated channels. I'm hopeful I will be proven wrong.

That's probably true, but whoever shows live PGA Tour events, at least the big ones, will probably be the one to win. More likely than not, the PGA Tour will gravitate towards the channel that offers the most innovation. In fact, the LPGA and other tours would probably gravitate to the one that innovates the best because that will make their product more appealing as well.

The golf channel is mostly operating in a format that is quickly becoming outdated. Without any competition, there is no motivation for them to innovate. On demand content is pretty lacking and they need to fill empty airspace with numerous infomercials and movie re-runs. You need to subscribe to cable (which is usually through one of the higher tiers) or a live streaming service to get access to any of this.

From what I've been reading, you will be able to subscribe to GOLFTV with nothing more than an internet connection. It will be more of an "on-demand" internet streaming service that will also provide live feeds of PGA Tour events. If that's true, there wouldn't be a need to fill airspace with endless infomercials or movie re-runs. You would just log into GOLFTV and decide what you want to watch -- like Netflix for golf with live streams. If tournaments are occurring simultaneously, you could stream all of them at once -- no need to cut into another event or show to show the playoff or the last group finishing.

An internet-based approach also allows for a LOT more innovation. Of course that's not to say that the Golf Channel/NBC couldn't do it, but it'd pretty much require an overhaul in the way they do things now. You always have the option of watching the primary "live feed", but you figure there are a bunch of cameras taking video at any given time. I'd love to be able to watch whatever camera feed I wanted. The majors and PGA Tour Live have proven this is possible. With all the live data available with ShotLink at pgatour.com during an event, you could definitely build a "birdseye" view of the course showing the real-time positions of everyone's balls. An internet-based solution is far more capable of doing these things.

Would love to read some thoughtful commentary on what this really means, too bad journalism is dead.

First thing as a layperson that comes to mind is it that Discovery is a Canadian company, that is owned by a parent company CTV that is owned in part (20%) by ESPN which is 80/20 Walt Disney/Hearst read ABC. The Golf Channel is NBC. I think a lot of this is predicated by replay rights on ESPN and how exclusive they are going to remain to cable and internet providers. Their content has been all over the map lately and I imagine it has become increasingly expensive for them to show "all of sports" on Sportscenter.

For Tiger, it seems he's turning up the volume trying to drown out the Escalade / Perkins / Sex Rehab era followed by the pain pills DUI incident. Maybe not a bad move. He's seemed a lot more humble, natural, and simply happier since his fall from grace and the successful surgery which I'm guessing has rendered him a less physically painful existence.

The problem as I see it is that all of those years "protecting an image" left him a little robotic and weird in front of a camera. I didn't watch the Match, but there was lot of commentary that he wasn't very captivating being mic'ed up. Hmmm.... perhaps we've been in love with Tiger (I'm guilty) because we don't get much Tiger? Will this be too much Tiger?

Heavily engineered streaming platforms are blowing the existing distribution model to pieces. As a result, traditional players are funding/building these robust platforms to accommodate how people buy and consume

Look at these guys,

In addition to VCs, Fox, Discovery, and AMC are investors>

fuboTV

Well, since the GC has slid into the NBC abyss, if comes to cable as an add on, assuming I can drop GC, might be interesting...time will tell.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Heavily engineered streaming platforms are blowing the existing distribution model to pieces. As a result, traditional players are funding/building these robust platforms to accommodate how people buy and consume

Look at these guys,

In addition to VCs, Fox, Discovery, and AMC are investors>

fuboTV

I was an early cord cutter, actually went back to cable mostly for sports.

Sports is the last frontier. You seem to be in the industry... how close am I in guessing that when the Golf Channel covers a tournament then NBC also holds the replay rights and sells those to the content managers for shows like SportsCenter where they show highlights?

And live sports is pretty much the only thing left keeping cable companies above the water. Once contracts start expiring and sports leagues are able to better take advantage of streaming without blackout or scheduling restrictions, broadcast TV as we know it (with channels needing to fill up programming 24/7) will pretty much be gone and any cable company/channel that doesn't adapt will also die out.

Did some more digging and found the following:

PGA Tour and NBC Sports agreed to a 3 year deal for PGA Tour Live to USA viewers.

The 12-year PGA Tour/GOLFTV agreement is for streaming PGA Tour events to international viewers.

GOLFTV will replace PGA Tour Live for international viewers.

So assuming I interpreted everything correctly, the only thing changing for those in the USA in the next three years will be using NBC Sports Gold instead of PGA Tour Live.

GOLFTV. Another line item for your budget. Will be interesting to see the price tag and what you get. Guess all the folks who thought the Match on PPV would be a bust didn't realize it was actually a glimpse into the future.

I correctly predicted that the Match on PPV would be a bust, and I think this latest venture will be, as well.

Yes, a lot of the content on the Golf Channel is pretty blah. I like the live golf and I like Golf Central and I like the "Live at" programming at the majors. Other than that, I don't watch much of it.

However, I think the same can be said for just about any network. There's a couple shows on the History Channel that I like. But that's about it. There's a couple shows on A&E that I like. But that's about it. I like live sports on ESPN and their 30-for-30 documentaries but that's about it.

I mean, are there really any networks where you truly like every single show? I think for the most part we all have our 2-3 favorites here and there across the board. In that respect, Golf Channel is really no different. And something new like GolfTV will probably have the same effect --- a couple things you like along with a bunch of stuff that you don't care for.

I'll be curious to know how much it costs and how easy it will be to watch on TV. Streaming tournament coverage online is great while I'm at work, but if I'm at home, I want it on the big screen.

Yes, a lot of the content on the Golf Channel is pretty blah. I like the live golf and I like Golf Central and I like the "Live at" programming at the majors. Other than that, I don't watch much of it.

However, I think the same can be said for just about any network. There's a couple shows on the History Channel that I like. But that's about it. There's a couple shows on A&E that I like. But that's about it. I like live sports on ESPN and their 30-for-30 documentaries but that's about it.

I mean, are there really any networks where you truly like every single show? I think for the most part we all have our 2-3 favorites here and there across the board. In that respect, Golf Channel is really no different. And something new like GolfTV will probably have the same effect --- a couple things you like along with a bunch of stuff that you don't care for.

I'll be curious to know how much it costs and how easy it will be to watch on TV. Streaming tournament coverage online is great while I'm at work, but if I'm at home, I want it on the big screen.

Just curious how long you've been watching the GC? I only ask, as I've been watching since it was introduced, so I know what it used to be and have watched it devolve into what it currently is.

Just my opinion of the GC, while I used to watch it often, as in daily, can't say I recall the last time other than Driver v Driver 2 finale, it's been a while.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

As a Canadian who has cut the cord on cable and can't stream The Golf Channel, I am very excited for this.

My WITB
Taylormade 2016 M1 9.5º
Cobra F6 Baffler 16º
Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19º, 22º, 25º
Srixon Z545 (6 to PW)
Titleist Vokey SM6 50º, 54º
Taylormade Hi Toe 58º
Taylormade Tour Black Spider
Titleist ProV1

Just curious how long you've been watching the GC? I only ask, as I've been watching since it was introduced, so I know what it used to be and have watched it devolve into what it currently is.

Just my opinion of the GC, while I used to watch it often, as in daily, can't say I recall the last time other than Driver v Driver 2 finale, it's been a while.

I would say around 10 years. I enjoyed Micheal Breed's show while it was there. And the occasional documentary (they did a series on Jack and one on Arnie and those were both great). Like I said, other than live golf broadcasts I take a pass on about 90% of it. It's hard to imagine any new platform will be a whole lot different.

I'm a Tiger fan so I'd be curious to see all this behind the scenes stuff. But I doubt we'll really get anything compelling from him.

If Golf TV gets the PGA Tour broadcasts, like the release said, Golf Channel will fold.

yup......but haven't we all seen this coming? I am certain TGC did...... how much are they spending on new stuff? Feherity and Morning Drive/Golf Central aren't exactly high production value ($) programs, and that's all they have. oh and the "Martin Hall does tricks with a young blonde" show.

They have been riding this dead horse for a few years now.

GOLFTV. Another line item for your budget. Will be interesting to see the price tag and what you get. Guess all the folks who thought the Match on PPV would be a bust didn't realize it was actually a glimpse into the future.

I correctly predicted that the Match on PPV would be a bust, and I think this latest venture will be, as well.

they are not saying it was a bust....viewership exceeded projections by a lot. perhaps you correctly predicted you wouldn't like it.

The tv contracts for the PGA Tour in the US go to the end of 2021 with CBS, NBC and TGC.

Will the PGA Tour stay on tv? Will it buy the Golf Channel? Will it go over the top and put most or all of the content on the internet? In less than three years, we'll have answers.

The majors will still be on broadcast tv and the USGA events will be on Fox.

This could be good for golf overall, two channels of golf content. If the PGA Tour broadcast rights were taken over by GolfTV that would free up the Golf Channel to expand their coverage of the LPGA, Champions and Web.com Tours.

Much as I love golf, I don't think the sport can sustain two dedicated channels. I'm hopeful I will be proven wrong.

Agree. Between reruns and shows like Driver vs. Driver, Golf Channel is unwatchable for a good part of the day. A second channel dilutes content even more. PGA Tour broadcasts are where it's at. I don't think TGC is looking forward to losing PGA Tour rights so they can expand their LPGA, Seniors, and web.com coverage.

I didn't say Golf Channel would look forward to it, but it is an opportunity for the other Tours to get more coverage. I'd also expect that GolfTV will create a lot of it's own content, something that GC has tried and gone away from. Sounds like GolfTV will model itself after the NFL channel, but since the PGA Tour is involved will be able to do a lot more at a lower cost.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

we've been in love with Tiger (I'm guilty) because we don't get much Tiger? Will this be too much Tiger?

I'd say it has everything to do with winning and dominance and almost nothing at all to do with his personality. Well, off the course personality to be precise.

Agreed.

Most of the non-tournament shows on GC are pretty lame. I cannot imagine how a new service featuring a lot of non-tournament shows centred on Tiger will be any better. He's not the most charismatic guy. I couldn't watch the 7/24 behind-the-scenes buildup to The Match, it was just too awful.

Great golfers don't always make great hosts or characters or subjects or whatever you want to call this.

In the long run, whoever carries the tournaments wins.

This could be good for golf overall, two channels of golf content. If the PGA Tour broadcast rights were taken over by GolfTV that would free up the Golf Channel to expand their coverage of the LPGA, Champions and Web.com Tours.

Agree. Between reruns and shows like Driver vs. Driver, Golf Channel is unwatchable for a good part of the day. A second channel dilutes content even more. PGA Tour broadcasts are where it's at. I don't think TGC is looking forward to losing PGA Tour rights so they can expand their LPGA, Seniors, and web.com coverage.

Agree - Agree, TGC needs some competition. D vs D is unwatchable and Morning Drive needs to be overhauled big time. Gary Williams thinks he is a real life Ken doll. Instead of watching MD most mornings I now listen to Fairways of Life via the internet. I hope GolfTV does do well and it just might force TGC to improve for just fade away.