Nothing worse than a bogey...

Joelsim

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today. 10 over, which was 10 bogeys and 8 pars. I can't ever remember not getting anything worse than a bogey before.

It was very, very windy today too in London.

My scrambling was pretty damn good,

Love that! When you can play a round without any doubles or higher it's a great round IMO.

Totally agree. One of the hardest things about golf is to be consistent over 18 holes.

Today. 10 over, which was 10 bogeys and 8 pars. I can't ever remember not getting anything worse than a bogey before.

Love that! When you can play a round without any doubles or higher it's a great round IMO.

Totally agree. One of the hardest things about golf is to be consistent over 18 holes.

Great stuff. I've only done this one time and I'm 66yo.

That is usually the story of my better rounds...I minimized the doubles and above. I find I can play a pretty decent round of golf if I can keep the "bad" holes to +1. Although ironically, in my two 79s, I had a triple in one and two doubles in the other.

I've often wondered what would happen if I played the harder holes as bogey holes and just teed off with a 4 iron or hybrid or something, and with any approach shot > than about 180 yards just "lay up" to a good number inside of 100. Then for the easier holes I would play them "normally" (driver, short iron, etc.). I've never tried it, mainly because the handful of times I've decided to lay up or play an iron off the tee, etc., the outcome wasn't much better. And with my luck, maybe I reach all of the harder holes in 3, but then 3 putt a couple of them. And it also seems that when my swing is off, all of it is off, and when it is on, well I may as well just bomb and gouge.

The main reason I say all of this is that I often hear the advice to "limit the damage", and believe me I buy it. Except it is always hard to know in the moment whether the damage is about to occur or not. Right? How many times have you wished that you had just teed off with a 5 iron when your driver misses the planet wide right and now you have to re-tee? But how could you have known in the moment that this was the hole you were going to miss by a mile? Or hitting that approach over water and you chunk it...would it have always been smart to lay up? From 135 yards? Of course not. The only thing I have really come up with is this "hard holes" vs "easy holes" strategy.

Interesting experiment I might consider someday...

Played today. Shot 84 with a triple and two doubles despite somewhat attempting to be more conservative on the harder holes. The triple bogey was nasty, as I tried a cut off the tee and I just really struggle hitting a cut, doublecrossed myself and never saw that ball again. One of the doubles occurred because I’m a moron and can’t hit out of green side bunkers. And the other occurred because my course has a hole that is a hell of a lot harder than the 17th at Sawgrass (170+ yard carry over water to an islandish green with OB just behind and to the right of it). It’s a ridiculous hole, and is probably the only reason I don’t play our back tees more often because then it would be 190 yard carry.

Again, back to the point of limiting the big numbers...OK, throw the bad shot from the bunker out. Just a bad shot. Nothing more. The triple might have been poor strategy, but I was really good with my driver all day, and I’ve played that hole 200 times and have concluded that a driver with a little cut is the best approach (and believe me, I’ve tried everything). In retrospect, I wish I had hit a hybrid or something (or a PW for that matter). But I played the shot that I’ve found to be the right shot...I just didn’t execute it.

And the par 3. I mean, I’ve debated hitting a 70 yard wedge (tee box is about 100 yards long but super narrow), and then a 100 yard wedge. That doesn’t eliminate double or worse because the 70 yarder is no gimme, nor is the 100 yard wedge with all carry. There is nowhere to lay up. There is no “miss” on this hole that doesn’t end up in disaster.

I could have had a decent round eliminating the big numbers. So what is a brother to do? At the end of the day, it eventually comes down to executing shots I guess.

It is tough to go low with a double or worse on the card and very few golfers on the planet recover from more than one double or worse on the card. When you watch the big boys, they all hit some crap shots. But the guys on the leader board are finding ways to hit one bad shot and then recover with bogey instead of having one bad shot turn into a double or triple.

I know for me, during this first full year back after quitting for 9 years, my biggest problem has been between my ears resulting in 2 or 3 holes a round that I can't recover from. I have seen myself too many times hit that bad shot and then attempt a recovery that has only a 10% to 20% chance of being pulled off with my abilities.

Congratulations for that round! Excellent!

I finally shot even for the first time this year a couple of weeks ago, and that would not have happened with a double on the card. Friday, I was able to avoid the dreaded double or worse, but a few too many bogeys to get really low. Still, the 74 was my second best round of the year and once again due to no doubles or worse.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Good job. I never have a score in mind when I start a round. My goal is no doubles and no 3 putts. When I can accomplish this I will usually have a good round.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

Those doubles and occasional others are what kill me keep me around a 10. I will be cruising along half and half bogies and pars, and then out of nowhere chunk or skank or hook. Follow that with a poor recovery and that's a double. Then unless I'm heading for a garbage round, it's usually back to normal and I'm like, 'what the hell was that?'.

That is usually the story of my better rounds...I minimized the doubles and above. I find I can play a pretty decent round of golf if I can keep the "bad" holes to +1. Although ironically, in my two 79s, I had a triple in one and two doubles in the other.

I've often wondered what would happen if I played the harder holes as bogey holes and just teed off with a 4 iron or hybrid or something, and with any approach shot > than about 180 yards just "lay up" to a good number inside of 100. Then for the easier holes I would play them "normally" (driver, short iron, etc.). I've never tried it, mainly because the handful of times I've decided to lay up or play an iron off the tee, etc., the outcome wasn't much better. And with my luck, maybe I reach all of the harder holes in 3, but then 3 putt a couple of them. And it also seems that when my swing is off, all of it is off, and when it is on, well I may as well just bomb and gouge.

The main reason I say all of this is that I often hear the advice to "limit the damage", and believe me I buy it. Except it is always hard to know in the moment whether the damage is about to occur or not. Right? How many times have you wished that you had just teed off with a 5 iron when your driver misses the planet wide right and now you have to re-tee? But how could you have known in the moment that this was the hole you were going to miss by a mile? Or hitting that approach over water and you chunk it...would it have always been smart to lay up? From 135 yards? Of course not. The only thing I have really come up with is this "hard holes" vs "easy holes" strategy.

I play the hard holes as bogey and generally it works. I'm a 14 so that's a net par anyway. The one thing I have learned is not to give up too much distance on the first two shots, because green in 3 will mean occasional doubles unless proximity to the hole is improved

When you blow up, what does it typically look like? Is your pattern of mistake consistent (off the tee, long iron, putter, poor scrambling, etc.).

I very rarely double or worse (as I write this I had a triple for the first time this year on Saturday), but when I do it's usually a poor tee ball (i.e. duck hook).

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Earlier this year I got to play at a friend's private course where previous rounds I've played there I've generally struggled. I shot 81 (+9). It my best round ever there. The maddening part was that 6 of those 9-over strokes came from two triple bogeys. One on a bad drive that was only about a foot into OB land, and the other on a tee shot I hit thin with my 2-iron that embedded under the lip of a fairway bunker.

If I bogey those two holes, I'm in the 70's. I had a lot of pars that day though.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I've often wondered what would happen ......

My best rounds have all been without using driver, teeing off with 3 wood or hybrids. If you play all holes as bogey holes you will get many pars. And playing bogey golf you don't need a driver. You can hit any par five with 4 7 irons. Trouble is, eventually it stops feeling like golf..... ?

I have a friend. He's about a 3 handicap. Ask him how he played. Tells me he shot 78 with 4 birdies. But he's most happy with his round because he was consistent. Guess his definition of consistent is different than mine.

Congratulations. Elimination of the blow up is a big step!

Learning to add in the other side of the equation is a whole different bit!

Enjoy the journey.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

• 2 weeks later...

My best rounds have all been without using driver, teeing off with 3 wood or hybrids. If you play all holes as bogey holes you will get many pars. And playing bogey golf you don't need a driver. You can hit any par five with 4 7 irons. Trouble is, eventually it stops feeling like golf..... ?

Yeah but one of those 7 irons are going to be short right or hooked way left or chunked/skanked 50 yds. Now what when you're lying 4 30 yds from the green? You're looking at a potential double.

Yeah but one of those 7 irons are going to be short right or hooked way left or chunked/skanked 50 yds. Now what when you're lying 4 30 yds from the green? You're looking at a potential double.

I agree, though as somebody who does subscribe to the idea of playing holes as bogey, I'd not divide up a hole equally in that way. There are shades of grey between bomb & gouge and taking a mid-iron off the tee.