What simple swing feels/thoughts work for YOU

clevited

I have read many different threads on FEELS, but often people get too much into position and too detailed and confusing regarding their feels and swing thoughts. I thought I would try and get a nice list of feels in this thread and update OP so anyone struggling to find the one that works for them, might more quickly find some to test and try through a nice concise list. Many people learn better through feels I think than positions. A feel I think can automatically get you into positions without over thinking the process. It is implied that the feel you mention works for you not necessarily everyone, your feel or thought being RIGHT or WRONG in the eyes of any instructor or other person doesn't matter given this thread's intent so please no criticizing of what people post.

If you can also structure it similar to below, it will help me pick out the information and move up here more easily. Feel free to add a category if your thought/feel requires it.

Grip Pressure:

- feel of holding a baby bird in my hands

- feel of holding a open cap tube of toothpaste and not squeezing it out all over

Posture/Setup:

- feel of resting my rear on the edge of a bar stool such that I don't feel tippy backwards or forwards

- feel of overwhelming sense of balance

- feel of weight on heels

- feel shoulders back, chest at ball, butt down but not out

- think loose and tension-free, athletic and ready to unleash some SPEED

- feel like I'm bent over horizontally at the hips

Backswing Feels:

- feel of trying to throw a very heavy rope or chain or hammer or 2X4 over my right shoulder but at an angle to my target (and outward angle to help prevent an inside takeaway)

- feel of hoisting an axe above my head but on again, an outward angle (helps me prevent inside takeaway),

- feel of a pause at the top

- feel takeaway being slow and low

- feel wrists set early

- feel of no wrist set

- feel of shoulder under chin at the top of backswing

- feeling that the center of mass of the club stays behind my hands from transition through impact. This applies pressure in my right index finder and helps me maintain extension in my trail wrist .

- feel of turning my chest as far away from the target as quickly as possible, stacking over right foot. Body leads hands, which keeps club from sucking inside.

- think straight non dominant arm

- feel like not turning in order to get wrists set earlier (see Monte Scheinblum's no turn/cast drill on youtube)

- thought of keeping club outside of hands on the way back

Transition Feels:

- think, be as late as possible to start the downswing...don't be in a hurry

Downswing Feels:

- feel of slamming a very heavy rope, or chain or hammer or 2X4 into the ball and pounding it into the ground (seems to help me hit more down on the ball with irons and not flip)

- feel of chopping a piece of wood with an axe that I am holding steady under my left foot (seems to help me swing what feels like more across so I don't drop club so far inside)

- feel weight on front foot

- feel like smothering the golf ball with the club

- thought of "swing hard!"

- thoughts of getting trail shoulder to the target, get tail bone to inside front heel

- feel of executing a textbook left handed Frisbee throw (for right handers). Keep shoulders loose, yank them into core

- thought of throwing an upper cut punch to the angry dwarf that is in front of ball w/ the right side

- feel like I throw the club as far as I possibly can toward the target, just don't let go. This is more of a right-arm feel then a left-arm Frisbee feel.

- feel of pressure on pad of right index finger (righty)

- feel like casting the club which helps with upper body trailing lower body, helps sync upper and lower body up (see Monte Scheinblum's no turn/cast drill on youtube)

- thought of keeping shoulders and hips closed longer, drop hands straight down, stab inner left thigh with end of shaft/grip

- think keep trailing foot down

- think keep left shoulder still

- feel of starting the downswing with the lower body, almost feel like I'm squatting and focus on moving my lead knee to the left to make room for my hips to clear

- feel like I'm "swinging left", especially with driver. I like to see a little cut on my ball-flight, and I feel like "swinging left" really helps that happen

- think, be as late as possible to the ball and swing as hard left as I can with the body rotating

- feeling is to swing what feels like 3/4 and don't get caught up in hitting the ball too hard

- think humerus forward

- (from top of swing to shaft parallel to the ground), feel like the arm swing is a pull of the handle, butt end leading the clubhead, with the two middle fingers of the trail hand ... like turning a large steering wheel angled or tilted from above the turned trail shoulder out to the trail toe. The pull is underhanded (trail palm facing the caddy) and first away from the target, then out, down and targetwise with a bent (extended) trail wrist. After that, it becomes a pushing feeling of the golf club.

- Keep back to target for as long as possible

Follow Through Feel

- feel of a high finish,

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Today or Yesterday?

The list is long... how much time do you have?

Slow and Low Takeaway

Shoulder set under chin at top of backswing

Pause at top

Weight on heels

Weight on front foot

High finish

Smother it

Early wrist set

No wrist set

Swing Hard!

That's a pretty small sample. I could triple that list with a little thought.

:)

I guess I was expecting more imagery with these swing feels, but I will pull what I can and add to the list. Thanks for your contributions!

Okay imagery wise:

Setup: Shoulders back,chest at ball, butt down not out.

Back swing: Get trail shoulder to target, get tail bone to inside front heel.

Downswing: Execute textbook LH Frisbee throw. Keep shoulders loose, yank them into core.

P6 to P8: Throw upper cut punch to the angry dwarf that is in front of ball w/ the right side.

This is what works for me these days.

I guess I was expecting more imagery with these swing feels, but I will pull what I can and add to the list. Thanks for your contributions!

Okay imagery wise:

Setup: Shoulders back,chest at ball, butt down not out.

Back swing: Get trail shoulder to target, get tail bone to inside front heel.

Downswing: Execute textbook LH Frisbee throw. Keep shoulders loose, yank them into core.

P6 to P8: Throw upper cut punch to the angry dwarf that is in front of ball w/ the right side.

This is what works for me these days.

I personally like the last one the most lol, which is what I had in mind. Something you can imagine in your head to help you accomplish a more complicated set of movements automatically. Thanks for the contributions.

Pre-swing: loose and tension-free, athletic and ready to unleash some SPEED

Then

Backswing: turn my chest as far away from the target as quickly as possible, stacking over right foot. Body leads hands, which keeps club from sucking inside.

Downswing: feel like I throw the club as far as I possibly can toward the target, just don't let go (I have a whole thread about how this feeling transformed my game). This is more of a right-arm feel then a left-arm Frisbee feel.

Assuming setup is decent, those two thoughts basically take care of everything else and don't allow time for anything detrimental to creep into my brain.

Just to feel pressure on the pad of the right index finger

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Mine is simple, keep my left hip up against a wall. If I don't, I reverse C and I go ott and steep.

Edit: I just read some early responses...WOW thats a butt ton of things to think about over the course of a 1 second swing

If I were to guess, they are feels that might be focused on here and there when something starts getting out of wack. I doubt anyone is really thinking of all of those at one time haha. I hope not I should say.

Is this referring to grip pressure or a feel you have during downswing?

Backswing: No Turn

Downswing: Cast

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Mine is simple, keep my left hip up against a wall. If I don't, I reverse C and I go ott and steep.

Edit: I just read some early responses...WOW thats a butt ton of things to think about over the course of a 1 second swing

If I were to guess, they are feels that might be focused on here and there when something starts getting out of wack. I doubt anyone is really thinking of all of those at one time haha. I hope not I should say.

Is this referring to grip pressure or a feel you have during downswing?

I want to feel pressure there mainly in the downswing. However I'm aware as the shaft starts loading on the backswing.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Unsure if serious.....lol

From Monte's No Turn/Cast Drill? I'd been plagued with wrists that seemed to never set with gargantuan arm overrun and a club face that ended ungodly across the line at the top of my swing. No turn is not literally restricting my body from turning but essentially setting my wrists earlier and my torso reacting and turning. The feel of "casting" from the top has helped as well. Previously my upper body was just so far behind my lower body there was no way I could deliver a ball first strike without chicken winging and extending my lead wrist (a 1 in ten chance). The "cast" feel helps me to synch up my turn.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Unsure if serious.....lol

From Monte's No Turn/Cast Drill? I'd been plagued with wrists that seemed to never set with gargantuan arm overrun and a club face that ended ungodly across the line at the top of my swing. No turn is not literally restricting my body from turning but essentially setting my wrists earlier and my torso reacting and turning. The feel of "casting" from the top has helped as well. Previously my upper body was just so far behind my lower body there was no way I could deliver a ball first strike without chicken winging and extending my lead wrist (a 1 in ten chance). The "cast" feel helps me to synch up my turn.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Never know when someone is looking to make a little joke at my expense lol.

Hit ball hard.

Keep back foot down.*current thought*

Keep left shoulder still.

I dont have thoughts for each part of the swing... I just pick one that deals with the part of my swing that is off for the day. I think if you have to have multiple during the swing that if you aren't a headcase now, you will be shortly.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

-Backswing: keep the clubhead outside of my hands on the way back (I have a tendency to bring the club way inside on the takeaway)

- Downswing: start the downswing with the lower body, almost feel like I'm squatting and focus on moving my lead knee to the left to make room for my hips to clear

- Also downsing: try and feel like I'm "swinging left", especially with driver. I like to see a little cut on my ball-flight, and I feel like "swinging left" really helps that happen.

I usually try and work on these couple "feels" extensively on the range. On the course, I generally like to just keep the target in mind and picture what kind of shot I'm trying to play instead of getting to mechanical

Posture - feel like I'm bent over horizontally at the hips.

Backswing - take the club away outside

Transition - be as late as possible to start the downswing...don't be in a hurry

Downswing - be as late as possible to the ball and swing as hard left as I can with the body rotating

Overall - primary feeling is to swing what feels like 3/4 and don't get caught up in hitting the ball too hard.

From P4-P6 (top of swing to shaft parallel to the ground in DS), the arm swing is a pull of the handle, butt end leading the clubhead, with the two middle fingers of the trail hand ... like turning a large steering wheel angled or tilted from above the turned trail shoulder out to the trail toe. The pull is underhanded (trail palm facing the caddy) and first away from the target, then out, down and targetwise with a bent (extended) trail wrist.

At P6, the pull turns into a push at pp#3 (trail index finger pad between middle and base knuckle) as demonstrated by Hogan in the Coleman video as the clubhead tumbles out to the ball.