Monitors on the Range

Gautama

Hi, not finding answers to this in my quick search, plus interested in everyone's thoughts.

For those of you that use a monitor for your solo practice on the range rather than in a sim environment, what are the main stats you benefit from? And again, for just solo range use, what benefits did you see in moving from the most basic data in say a swing caddie to more launch data in a skytrak, to the even more complete and accurate picture of say a used GC2?

Not wanting the debate the merits if doing it at all vs money on lessons, etc...just generally interested in everyone's takes on how monitors have or have not improved their solo practice at the range, and how they use them.

Thanks!

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO biggest benefits were driver AOA and wedge yardage work.

Thanks gator, can I ask what monitor your using to get to AOA?

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

This is helpful, thanks. I really like the idea of the skytrak, but for my use it feels like it doesn't quite fill the gap between something basic like a swing caddie and a pro-level launch monitor since it doesn't give specific path, AOA numbers etc. Am I right on thinking that for range use specifically, as far as data, the options kind of jump from Swing Caddie for gapping then straight to like the used GC2 market for deeper insights?

Idk why AOA is helpful. Are you going to change your swing if you don't like AOA but hit a good shot?

Club stats overrated. If you swing in a good way the club stats will be good. People who can teach can see why ball is doing what it's doing without trackman or flightscope.

Wedge distance control is probably the best actual usage for trackman/fs imo. That and convincing a player what they're actually doing.

Wedge distance control is probably the best actual usage for trackman/fs imo. That and convincing a player what they're actually doing.

That's what's got me really thinking...gapping and sharpening distances I can for sure see myself doing, but it's harder to figure out what I'd do with the rest of the numbers. Like you said, good shots and bad shots are already something you can see. But then again I've never had one I don't know how it might help. HMT would be awesome for obvious reasons but I feel like all the stuff in between is kind of just interesting but maybe not immediately actionable for a guy on the range.

Anyone using the MEVO?

I use the FS Mevo.

Biggest benefits are Club Speed/Ball Speed (along with Smash Factor), dynamic loft and yardage gapping.

Always good to train for speed. Easy for me to get lazy or start taking the backswing back too slowly.

I think AoA is generally not all that important. It's about matching up your swing characteristics. For me, I have a +4 to +5 upward AoA with my driver. But, that's too much upward for me due to my swing issues.

My dynamic loft gets high and that's the bigger issue, so I work on things to lower my dynamic loft and use the Mevo to measure it.

RH

I use the FS Mevo.

Richie, what's your overall impression of the MEVO as far as accuracy comparative to more advanced LMs?

Spot on for what it measures? Close enough?

Or is it more about consistency? That is, it might be "off" but if you make a change in technique or equipment there is a corresponding change in the metrics?

I use the Mevo and it helped me tremendously. Especially checking what do I have to do in order to increase the smash. What happened in my swing when I had 1.38 vs 1.47. Once you find out you start repeating the good.

My very first driving session with MEVO I took like 70 swings and the numbers ranged between 1.31 to 1.47. By the end of the season I was consistently practicing over 1.44.

Also, it helps deciding on shafts if you like to toy around. Even after my fitting I could see other heads I have interact very different with different low spin shafts. So far, best is M4 with Rogue, but if I go to the M1 then the best interaction I get is with HZRDUS black.

As was told, wedge pinpointing. Very helpful controlling wedge swings to set speeds and by then, set distances.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

I use the FS Mevo.

Richie, what's your overall impression of the MEVO as far as accuracy comparative to more advanced LMs?

Spot on for what it measures? Close enough?

Or is it more about consistency? That is, it might be "off" but if you make a change in technique or equipment there is a corresponding change in the metrics?

I have only compared it side by side with a Trackman and a FlightScope. They both presented very similar numbers outdoors.

Part of the issue is that if you don't have it set up correctly, the numbers can be a little off. It's not the easiest thing to get set up correctly (it's not impossible either), so it can take a few times to rearrange the setup and get it working right.

I have also found that on windy days it's practically useless. Reads all types of weird days. But, that's if it's something like 20+ mph winds.

RH

1) Distance Wedges- work on hitting 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 with your gw, pw, 9i. Focus on carry. If you can dial this in, you be sutprised how much better you can

2) Ball Flight- Focus on creating a pattern. 3-6 degrees on path either way. Use an 8 iron for this practice, focus on hitting it 90-120 yards

3) Smooth Driver swings focusing on a consetent aa (+3 to -3 optimal; dont try to hit down or swing up, just swing, either cause bad habits, try to hig this window) and focus on center strikes (smash factor); hit these 50-75 yards shorter than you hit a full driver

4) finally work on your real distances. Hit a driver, then hit a 3/4 9iron. If it goes 130, thats about your 9 iron. If you have 130 to the front, hit a full 9 on course. Repeat with other clubs and go through your routine; only hit 3/4 to 7/8 with your irons because these numbers are more pratical than a full perfect iton shot you hit 1-10

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Thanks for all the comments guys, exactly what I was wanting to learn. I think I'm down to either skytrak or MEVO, unless I get a wild hair and do something stupid. I'm really impressed with what I've read about the MEVO, and Richie your feedback on it helps a lot...but also liking the idea of what looks like more robust software for the skytrak and the ability to sim it if I ever convince my wife to give up the guest room!

Thanks for all the comments guys, exactly what I was wanting to learn. I think I'm down to either skytrak or MEVO, unless I get a wild hair and do something stupid. I'm really impressed with what I've read about the MEVO, and Richie your feedback on it helps a lot...but also liking the idea of what looks like more robust software for the skytrak and the ability to sim it if I ever convince my wife to give up the guest room!

The one advantage MEVO has over Skytrak is the swing video integration. If you're working on major swing changes with a focus on increasing club speed or changing launch angle, the ability to see if what you're trying to change is really changing and making a noticeable difference is pretty cool.

Hi, not finding answers to this in my quick search, plus interested in everyone's thoughts.

For those of you that use a monitor for your solo practice on the range rather than in a sim environment, what are the main stats you benefit from? And again, for just solo range use, what benefits did you see in moving from the most basic data in say a swing caddie to more launch data in a skytrak, to the even more complete and accurate picture of say a used GC2?

Not wanting the debate the merits if doing it at all vs money on lessons, etc...just generally interested in everyone's takes on how monitors have or have not improved their solo practice at the range, and how they use them.

Thanks!

I found using it for 50 yards and in was best because I could use my golf balls and not range golf balls. Could see exactly what effects different launch angles had on spin, carry etc.

I find on the range you are really at the mercy of the range balls you are using, and most of them suck. Maybe at a country club it would be better.

They are awesome, but not in the way I think most do it. They are great to let you explore what is possible. Having owned trackman, x2 and GC2, I honestly get the most out of a MEVO because it’s less intrusive but it gives enough to let players explore what they can do and vary the results on command.

Thanks!

*Angle of attack

*Face angle

*Path

Face to path

Dynamic loft

Smash factor

Spin

Carry

Those are the essentials for me. As an extreme minimum you need the asterisked three in my opinion or don’t bother. I’d even put a Garmin on the shaft just to have some kind of face angle feedback as well as a camera option, as fiddly and maybe imprecise as it might be.

The Skytrak software really makes the unit compelling IMO. With irons (indoor range) I've found that I can play around with delivery and clearly see the affects on ball speed, launch angle, and spin. I'm using that right now to increase the breadth of what I can accomplish with a single club (say, 7i). Combine that with the ability to fine-tune the results on, say, randomized shots between 140 & 160 yards gives me elements to my practice that I didn't have before.

Outdoor range I only measure driver. I either use Swing Speed Radar to measure either swing speed or ball speed, or SC200 to measure ball speed (I don't rely on the other numbers).

For those that have the Mevo- I am considering it but got a bit scared off reading the app reviews on Google Play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flightscope.mevo

Not exactly glowing review. How do you get your readings from the Mevo unit?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

iPhone and iPads are ok, but my friends that use other systems had to buy iPads (cheap old units with Bluetooth) to have no issues

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Anyone else with Mevo info?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Anyone else with Mevo info?

Pulled the trigger on a Mevo today, and plan to use it either with my android phone or my iPad. I'll definitely let you know how it works for me on both.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Mevo arrived today...and it's DOA. It charged up just fine and had no problem syncing right after I unplugged from the power, but after it timed out and shut itself off there's no getting it back on with the power button. Don't you hate it when you look forward to stuff like this and it doesn't work? Grrr...

For those that have the Mevo- I am considering it but got a bit scared off reading the app reviews on Google Play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flightscope.mevo

Not exactly glowing review. How do you get your readings from the Mevo unit?

Okay, finally got the issues with the Mevo sorted out and back from my first day at the range with it. First off, no issues connecting with or staying connected to my android phone at all. I didn't try it with the iPad because I've gone full mad scientist and have the Live View running through that, but I did do a test connection and it was fine.

Have to say using it was awesome, especially with the live view. To be able to see the results both visually and numerically after every shot is pretty cool. It seemed very accurate to me. I know my range pretty well and have lasered about every blade of grass and nothing looked off to me at all. Even bad shots got picked up and made sense, and I hit plenty of those today, lol

All in all I have to say it seems like a pretty awesome little device and a definite good addition. I mostly got it to work on dialing in wedge distances, but I can see it's going to be much more helpful than that.

Can't oversell the Live View either. Together, they bring feedback to a whole new level.