Has anyone else noticed no titleist stuff online

hogangolf4life

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I understand your statement :) . Just kidding. I noticed the same thing. I have talked to a few internet retailers that have stated Titleist is pretty difficult to deal with and they intentionally delay the internet dealers to allow the country clubs and retail stores to do more business. Don't know if that is true at all or not. Same thing with them not allowing pricing online on certain items. Wierd to me. Just sell the damn things and show your price. I personally do not buy from retail stores. The internet is just so much easier for me to find what I want and I can do it at 2am if need be.

Not sure I understand your statement :) . Just kidding. I noticed the same thing. I have talked to a few internet retailers that have stated Titleist is pretty difficult to deal with and they intentionally delay the internet dealers to allow the country clubs and retail stores to do more business. Don't know if that is true at all or not. Same thing with them not allowing pricing online on certain items. Wierd to me. Just sell the damn things and show your price. I personally do not buy from retail stores. The internet is just so much easier for me to find what I want and I can do it at 2am if need be.

There is more truth than rumor to that statement. I wish that they would limit the "Big Box Golf" retail stores as well and let their green grass accounts get the jump. Titleist has made a larger commitment to their green grass accounts over the last two years. This is great for the Golf Professional unlike "Load em up" Taylor Made and the undercut your Golf Professional by allowing some internet or Big Box dealer to sell it for almost lower than your cost. The problem I have with the Internet purchases is that when someone buys something online and something goes wrong with the club, then who do you bring the club to? That's right your local PGA Professional. It seems that they are good enough to fix your problem but not good enough to buy from. That's just not good business. So I support Titleist for what they are trying to do. Good for them

In my opinion golf should be exposed to as many people as possible. For a long time that wasn't possible because of the expense and exclusive nature of the sport. If getting more people into the game means that "Big Box Golf" and online retailers undercut Pro's that's fine by me. Hopefully, those new golfers will get some lessons from Pro's to get swings to go along with the new clubs. Pro's keep golf health, but golfers are clearly the lifeblood of the sport.

If your local PGA Professional didnt try and rip off the consumer so much! then everyone would buy from them. Think God for ebay and the internet, now you can get a normal deal on golf clubs just like everything else. And if they are not good enough to fix the problem I am sure there is an internet shop that could. Not trying to start something here but we should all be thankful, as true golf fans that we arent being ripped off as much as we were 10 years ago. And until the local shops come down, I will continue to shop them and buy everything off the web. :)

I'm surprised that this happens and even more surprised that everyone acts as if its no big deal; or even worse applauds it. This country was built on capitalism. We used to be great bc we have freedom, but that is more or less disappearing before our eyes. Let's ban together and protect our last bastion of pure freedom -" freedom of the market ". A product should be offered to everyone who can afford it. In my opinion, Titleist products should be listed on the net before they even show up at local dealers (if for no other reason then the ease of providing it to the net sellers). Golf Pros have enough of an advantage and believe me when I say, they make plenty of money - ie, percentage of green fees, percentage of cart (usually 100%), pro shop sales ($6 for 20 tees), lessons ($60/hour), plus a SALARY, but most importantly all the free equipment and free golf they want. From now on, no more titleist stuff from the local dealers - if I want a titleist item I will buy it off of ebay.

Golf Pros have enough of an advantage and believe me when I say, they make plenty of money - ie, percentage of green fees, percentage of cart (usually 100%), pro shop sales ($6 for 20 tees), lessons ($60/hour), plus a SALARY, but most importantly all the free equipment and free golf they want.

:) Buddy what planet do you live on???? How many Golf Pro's do you know. I have a ton of friends that are quitting the business all the time because they can't make enough money. I would say that no Pro receives a % of green fees anymore and maybe 2% still receive cart revenue and it's not 100%. If it is, then he or she had to purchase the fleet themself. The $6 for 20 tees is absurd, even if it was that much, it was to re-coup the money lost for selling a driver at MAP cost to compete with Big Box. Those type of Pro's you are talking about, are a thing of the past. They also work sun up to sun down. Buddy I work in the golf business, and you don't know what the hell you are talking about. All I'm trying to say is that every once in a while how about helping out the guy that helps you out when you need it. He's that guy maybe that squeezes you in a group somewhere or gives you a free tip on the range. The free market is great, it is what drives this country, but if you want knowledgeable service go help you local guy. Otherwise you'll be buying your equipment from the high school kid on summer break.

Golf Pros have enough of an advantage and believe me when I say, they make plenty of money - ie, percentage of green fees, percentage of cart (usually 100%), pro shop sales ($6 for 20 tees), lessons ($60/hour), plus a SALARY, but most importantly all the free equipment and free golf they want.

:) Buddy what planet do you live on???? How many Golf Pro's do you know. I have a ton of friends that are quitting the business all the time because they can't make enough money. I would say that no Pro receives a % of green fees anymore and maybe 2% still receive cart revenue and it's not 100%. If it is, then he or she had to purchase the fleet themself. The $6 for 20 tees is absurd, even if it was that much, it was to re-coup the money lost for selling a driver at MAP cost to compete with Big Box. Those type of Pro's you are talking about, are a thing of the past. They also work sun up to sun down. Buddy I work in the golf business, and you don't know what the hell you are talking about. All I'm trying to say is that every once in a while how about helping out the guy that helps you out when you need it. He's that guy maybe that squeezes you in a group somewhere or gives you a free tip on the range. The free market is great, it is what drives this country, but if you want knowledgeable service go help you local guy. Otherwise you'll be buying your equipment from the high school kid on summer break.

yea have to agree pros i know dont make jack.

I don't want to get off on this topic... but...

having worked in two independently owned retail operations and two huge chains, you guys really just don't get it...

Most large chains (and even more so internet dealers) make a lot more per sale than smaller sellers, despite the smaller sellers higher prices. It has to do with overhead, staff, purchase quantity, etc.

If you think you're getting 'ripped off', or whatever, you're not the majority of the time. And I know a number of golf pros and small shop operators, they work a LOT of hours (way over 40/wk), and make way less than everyone assumes they do. This is true of almost any small retail business owner.

As for buying from the big / internet companies - well, that's why the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. If you think the big corporations are more worthwhile to support than small business, that's your decision. I hope you all see the parallels in whatever business you're in. Maybe someday the only place you'll be able to buy golf clubs will be Wal-Mart, then you'll all be very happy, right?

I think there are more important things than saving a few dollars.

I've also noticed that the new Titleist stuff isn't listed on internet stores. As for the local PGA vs. big box/internet discussion, I try to buy from the pro at my club if it's a product I can wait for and if it is priced competitively. My pro will typically meet the prices of Watts or Golfsmith, so I'll buy from him instead of the big box guys. If it's something I need immediately and the pro doesn't carry it, then I'll buy locally from a big box store.

i do business with the same golf shop for the last 5 years. i have a cordial relationship with the owner and manager. my bag is 95% purchased from them. they know that, and appreciate it. they invite me out to play some rounds every year and even send me a b-day card. i am a loyal customer and they remember it, especially when i order that set of $799 irons and they charge me $749. prices like that can't be found on the internet or golfsmith.

as far as pros, most of them are barely getting by, they thank god they have their course to live at 14 hours a day.

Some of these posts are quite humorous. Where in the world does the idea come from that green grass acct employees are rolling in the dough? They are more likely to be waxing the Mercedes in the parking lot than driving it. And that's not a knock on golf industry employees, simply a recognition that the salaries are not high, but the hours are long.

Good for Titleist protecting some of their distribution channels for as long as they can. It's not an easy strategy to stick to when your competitors are releasing new drivers every few months and blowing out prices on the old ones. But I guess what some of you are missing is that as a so called free Country and free market, Acushnet can pursue just about any strategy they want in distributing their clubs. If demand is not being met or supply is too much, they can adjust in line with their own business goals. As a consumer, your choice is to not buy.

A larger and unfortunately more harsh point of view is that the market is dictating that green grass accounts and local shops need to be more creative and patient or what little business they have will be gone. They can't compete with Ebay and other internet chains; and it sucks when they have to deal with bargian shoppers who want their warranty fulfilled locally, but buy on the internet. But that's the industry, if you want to be in it, then be aware of the pitfalls and other negatives. No one is forced to work in it.

It's nice that some of you support your local shop, I do too. But I also buy through Ebay and also acknowledge it's a losing battle for the small shops. if the local economy takes does well and golf does not keep up, then inflation, higher rents, increased fees, etc...eventually squeeze these people out. That's kind of sad because I am no fan of the big box stores as my experience with them is rudeness and ignorance no matter how much money I spend. But I also know, eventually the small guys cannot keep pace and it does not do much good to start campaigns of support your local pro or down with the big boys; it's not going to happen.

It is interesting that several industries have made great leaps in getting product out faster, cheaper and more directly to the end user, but golf OEMs across the board are holding onto the old ways of doing business for as long as they can. It's going to stay that way for a long while, how long? who knows? But if you are a new OEM coming into the golf business, you have to get into the shops, as a pure internet seller you do not get taken very seriously.

I honestly don't want to cross anyone here, but there's a lot of merit to all arguments here. One of my other hobbies, although I must admit it's starting to be a more distant second to golf, is surf fishing. The small retailer versus big dealer argument is pretty much the same. If it's a item along the lines of a pure commodity, such as balls, tees and such, I'll probably buy on line. In that case, I know what I like, and in the volume of those common commodities or every day items, it makes economic sense. Just like with fishing, where it's usually much more cost effective to buy readily available lures, leader materials and hooks where seasonal use can be estimated, and it makes sense to buy in bulk. For more specialty items, like a very personal thing such as a set of clubs that fits me, you can bet I'm going to be buying from a local pro, wherever possible. Just like when I'm trying to buy a new rod and reel for a certain fishing technique used in a certain type of water, or I need much more locally specialized gear, such as locally made custom wooden lures, the local places are the only way to go. You'll not only get exactly what you need, but also a LOT of knowledge to go with it. To me, that kind of service is worth going back for each and every time. The big discount places have the upper hand in everyday stuff, but for the mission critical, I prefer the "dot the i's and cross the t's" approach by local, smaller, more specialized sellers. JMHO :)

Same subject, slightly different observation.......

Did anybody notice that Titleist and Cobra (both acushnet companies) declined to participate in the Golf Magazine Clubtest issue that came out this month?

I, for one, think this type of behavior by Titleist is silly. I really like Titleist products but I'm sick of the ego that they seem to have. It's certainly not helping their cause any. All they are doing is making their product less accessable to the general public by preventing (or strongly regulating) online transactions. After all, the majority of golfers are not members of private clubs and therefore are not likely to buy from a PGA Pro.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

OK...now i am starting to get offended. as a PGA member for the past 13 years who just recently got out of golf, im going to have to add my .02. the golf pro's are not ripping you off, they are ordering small amounts and watching them sit in the shop because no one is supporting the golf professional anymore. Yes, you can buy your clubs cheaper on ebay, yes you can get them cheaper at edwin watts...but youre also having a 16 year old puke fit you in a little cubby hole of a room while you hit shots into a screen while he tells you how far you are bombing it. cmon, lets get a sense or reality, the golf professionals are having their golf shops taken over by the club in a lot of instances, and guess what...the pro isnt putting up a fight, because they are a money losing venture in most cases. its people with thought processes like you thinking the pro is printing money in his shop, then you get on the board at your club and try to take the shop away so the club can rake in all of that money. youre also the people that get on these boards and committees and overnight miraculously you know more than the course superintendent too...the greens are too fast, the fairways are cut too short, the rough is too long, there are too many leaves on the course. haha...guess what, usually within 5 years, that club is trying to give the shop back to the next pro that comes in. the majority of green grass shops goal every year is just to break even. you watch in the next 10 years how many on-course shops will start to only carry the essentials...some balls, socks, gloves and a few solid colored shirts. then youll start complaining about that. the only way to survive financially as a golf professional is to become the director of golf or head professional...and guess what, those guys lifespan isnt very long at clubs anymore because everyone with a subscription to golf digest, or a membership to a couple of chat forums now think that they are an expert on the game of golf. i dont blame you people completely though, i also blame the PGA for making it easier and easier to get in.

Did anybody notice that Titleist and Cobra (both acushnet companies) declined to participate in the Golf Magazine Clubtest issue that came out this month?

I, for one, think this type of behavior by Titleist is silly. I really like Titleist products but I'm sick of the ego that they seem to have. It's certainly not helping their cause any. All they are doing is making their product less accessable to the general public by preventing (or strongly regulating) online transactions. After all, the majority of golfers are not members of private clubs and therefore are not likely to buy from a PGA Pro.

Bose have been doing the same with the folk at What HiFi for years, these journos are unscrupulous in that they expect free gear, their reviews are hardly objective and their recommendations favourable to the company that gives free gear to the media etsablishment and inside scoops.

Titleist gear will be judged on it's own merits and I applaud them for not joining the hype market that other firms indulge in that will do anything to keep the driver count/brand visability up at any cost.

Anyway, these reviews are totally useless, each time it's a stick that gets 5 stars that suits some grunt that hacks the ball 160 yds way right each time, useless to 80% of the posters on here who can polay a bit and know their equipment.

I ask you, what %age play stock shafts ???

We'll do our reviews on here thanks!

Bose have been doing the same with the folk at What HiFi for years, these journos are unscrupulous in that they expect free gear, their reviews are hardly objective and their recommendations favourable to the company that gives free gear to the media etsablishment and inside scoops.

Titleist gear will be judged on it's own merits and I applaud them for not joining the hype market that other firms indulge in that will do anything to keep the driver count/brand visability up at any cost.

Anyway, these reviews are totally useless, each time it's a stick that gets 5 stars that suits some grunt that hacks the ball 160 yds way right each time, useless to 80% of the posters on here who can polay a bit and know their equipment.

I ask you, what %age play stock shafts ???

We'll do our reviews on here thanks!

Wow, do you work for Titleist because you sure took offense to my post. First of all, the testing group consisted of all types of golfers (scratch to 18 handicap). Second, it wasn't a review by the journalists, it was a review by the testers selected by the magazine. All worked in various professions. Third, while it may be useless to 80% of the posters on this board, the majority of the golfing public isn't in the 80% of people on the board, therefore, it's very useful info. You don't have to play exotic, rare shafts to be a single digit handicap.

The only point that I was trying to make was that in addition to having strict guidelines regarding online purchases (the point of this thread), Titleist also seems to have a problem with their clubs being reviewed in a test against other manufacturers. I personally would have enjoyed hearing about their 775 irons as I've been interested in these for a while. Would it have been relevant to hear a review of those with s300 shafts or is that not exotic enough for you?

dachtor,

Extreme Firepower is right, although he didn't exactly phrase it as eloquently as possible.

The reason why Acushnet does not send clubs to be tested in Golf is because they don't agree with the testing practices. They're not alone in this. Ping has also been very particular about which companies they send their products to test.

Acushnet did send them to Golf Digest for their club review this year. That fact alone should indicate some discrepancy between the two magazines.

To further extrapolate on my point (I could go on for hours about this), why would a company have a problem with 20 people of various hadicaps reviewing their club for a major golf publication? The problem I have is in the "attitude" that Titleist has with all their "customers". That goes for Ping (or any other manufacturer) as well, but I think they are starting to lighten up.

I worked in the golf industry for 4 years and the 2 companies we always heard about who were threatening their retailers (both off course and on course) were Ping and Titleist. More so with Titleist. I remember a few years back when Titleist sent a letter out to all retailers warning them against selling Titleist balls online and how it could result in them losing their liscense to sell Titleist Products. I also remember when the 975 J came out and retailers were forced to buy pre determined packages of 14 drivers or were prevented from buying any at all. What this meant to the pga pro was that they inevitably get stuck with strange combinations..... left handed senior flex, ladies flex, 10.5 degree x flex, etc. In order for the pro to break even on their cost for the package they had to sell 11 of the 14 drivers. The remaining 3 represented "profit". Kind of tough to sell all 14 after you get through all the 9.5's with Grafalloys and EI70's. However, Titleist prevents the pro from selling the others online, even if there was no chance in the world somebody would walk in and buy a 7.5 degree regular flex. For the pro it was a lose, lose....

Why does Titleist carry this attitude? I also heard that they declined to be one of the available manufacturers in the game Tiger Woods 2005 because they didn't want anything to do with Nike or TaylorMade. Unbelievable......

Wow, do you work for Titleist because you sure took offense to my post. First of all, the testing group consisted of all types of golfers (scratch to 18 handicap). Second, it wasn't a review by the journalists, it was a review by the testers selected by the magazine. All worked in various professions. Third, while it may be useless to 80% of the posters on this board, the majority of the golfing public isn't in the 80% of people on the board, therefore, it's very useful info. You don't have to play exotic, rare shafts to be a single digit handicap.

The only point that I was trying to make was that in addition to having strict guidelines regarding online purchases (the point of this thread), Titleist also seems to have a problem with their clubs being reviewed in a test against other manufacturers. I personally would have enjoyed hearing about their 775 irons as I've been interested in these for a while. Would it have been relevant to hear a review of those with s300 shafts or is that not exotic enough for you?

First, you would not get a review of the 775s with S300s, because that is not the stock shaft, and the magazines only review clubs with the stock shaft.

Second, to say the Golf Magazine's (and pretty much any magazine's) club reviews are total b.s. would be an understatement. These 'all types of golfers' seem to have a big bag of cliche's which they choose their comments from:

"These clubs are consistently one club longer than my current set" - you'll find that comment in EVERY iron test in EVERY magazine. If it were true, that every year a set of irons comes out that is one club longer than last year's, we would all be hitting PW as far as we hit our 3 irons 8 years ago...

"I can get away with a bad swing and still get a good result" - they say this about almost every game improvement design. Well, duh! Isn't that the whole point of big cavity back irons?

"These clubs won't conceal your mishits. Center shots fly true, mishits suffer distance." Again, duh. They say this about any 'player's club'. Oh, I forgot that 'Thin shots sting!'. No kiddin?

EVERY review of almost ANY Titleist product gets the same tired cliches:

Traditional appearnce, looks like a serious players club (Come on! That's their freakin' slogan!),

Won't cover up bad mishits, good distance and direction control,

not the longest club out there, but consistent.

Why bother? Why bother reading them, why both, as an OEM, sending your clubs there?

I don't know what's worse - Golf Magazine's "and the winner is" (yes, there is only ONE best club, and if you don't buy this one...)

or Golf Digest's 'Hot List' - where EVERYTHING is on the hot list!

And, the 'majority' of the golfing public don't subscribe to golf magazines, nor do they spend $400 on a driver every year.

strange combinations..... left handed senior flex, ladies flex, 10.5 degree x flex, even if there was no chance in the world somebody would walk in and buy a 7.5 degree regular flex.

Why does Titleist carry this attitude? I also heard that they declined to be one of the available manufacturers in the game Tiger Woods 2005 because they didn't want anything to do with Nike or TaylorMade. Unbelievable......

I don't believe for one second that Titleist EVER made anyone take a 7.5 degree reg flex, nor a 10.5 x flex (in fact, I'm sure that no pre-pack ever included an x flex of any kind). Left handed senior flex? Come on...

As for 'I heard' - who did you hear it from? Titleist? The licensing person at the video game manufacturer?

Your arguments would hold water better if there was any factuality in them...

First, you would not get a review of the 775s with S300s, because that is not the stock shaft, and the magazines only review clubs with the stock shaft.

Second, to say the Golf Magazine's (and pretty much any magazine's) club reviews are total b.s. would be an understatement. These 'all types of golfers' seem to have a big bag of cliche's which they choose their comments from:

"These clubs are consistently one club longer than my current set" - you'll find that comment in EVERY iron test in EVERY magazine. If it were true, that every year a set of irons comes out that is one club longer than last year's, we would all be hitting PW as far as we hit our 3 irons 8 years ago...

"I can get away with a bad swing and still get a good result" - they say this about almost every game improvement design. Well, duh! Isn't that the whole point of big cavity back irons?

"These clubs won't conceal your mishits. Center shots fly true, mishits suffer distance." Again, duh. They say this about any 'player's club'. Oh, I forgot that 'Thin shots sting!'. No kiddin?

EVERY review of almost ANY Titleist product gets the same tired cliches:

Traditional appearnce, looks like a serious players club (Come on! That's their freakin' slogan!),

Won't cover up bad mishits, good distance and direction control,

not the longest club out there, but consistent.

Why bother? Why bother reading them, why both, as an OEM, sending your clubs there?

I don't know what's worse - Golf Magazine's "and the winner is" (yes, there is only ONE best club, and if you don't buy this one...)

or Golf Digest's 'Hot List' - where EVERYTHING is on the hot list!

And, the 'majority' of the golfing public don't subscribe to golf magazines, nor do they spend $400 on a driver every year.

Well done.

Why don't some of the complainers out there buy a share of FO stock, go to the annual meeting and put your foot down? Or send an email to Titleist through their website? They will respond.

I could get down the real story behind why Titleist is not in TW's game. It's probably not all that exciting. Something along the lines, of they were asked, they said no thanks, end of story.

Bet a good percentage of internet shoppers do go to their local retailer and demo the various clubs before going home and ordering on the internet. I personally now only buy from retailers. After being burned many times with not seeing what I was buying or opppps we had it as a 9.5 not a 7.5 loft you ordered. Only Watts (phone orders) has been reliable. Every other internet retailer nothing but grief.

Plus if you do enough business with some really big retailers they invite you to meet with the various manufacturers when they come by, send you on trips/tours of various manufacturers and get you prototype tour equipment to evaluate from those manufacturers. Don't think that is possible with an internet retailer.