2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon Dunes Solstice 2019

Anyone else heading out to Bandon Dunes for their summer solstice event in June? This will be my first trip out there, excited for the experience and the opportunity to play those courses but I have a lot of work to do before we go. I need to get in much better shape physically before that day comes. It's a great motivator though.

Not a problem, those were definitely questions I had when I first heard about the trip that were a bit hard to find.

So far we have booked our reservations/spots in the event. The cost is $1485 per person. And that includes the 4 rounds and two nights at the resort. It's not till the middle of June but I can't wait to get out there and play/ experience the Oregon coast. Bandon is not the easiest place on earth to get to but the route we are planning on taking is to Fly from Chicago to Denver to Eugene. Then we will drive 2.5 hours or so to Bandon. There is an airport about 30 min from Bandon but the flights are expensive and fairly infrequent. I am actually looking forward to the drive from Eugene to the course, I hear it's really scenic.

I'll be out there the last weekend of June. Coming from Jersey with a crew of 8. Very, very excited.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

Not a problem, those were definitely questions I had when I first heard about the trip that were a bit hard to find.

So far we have booked our reservations/spots in the event. The cost is $1485 per person. And that includes the 4 rounds and two nights at the resort. It's not till the middle of June but I can't wait to get out there and play/ experience the Oregon coast. Bandon is not the easiest place on earth to get to but the route we are planning on taking is to Fly from Chicago to Denver to Eugene. Then we will drive 2.5 hours or so to Bandon. There is an airport about 30 min from Bandon but the flights are expensive and fairly infrequent. I am actually looking forward to the drive from Eugene to the course, I hear it's really scenic.

I road a bike from Seattle to San Francisco. I stopped for a couple days at Bandon. The Oregon Coast is the most beautiful part of the country in my opinion. Especially coming from what I think is one of the most aesthetically unpleasing parts of the country (chicago). One day I will do the solstice event, it has always sounded like a great time. Enjoy golf heaven!

Thanks for the info. I have made many trips to Bandon but never for Solstice. The drive from Eugene will be great, especially that time of year. I would consider driving over to Florence, then up the coast if you have the time. It isn't too much longer than going up I5 20 miles and over.

The route through Florence look much better since it hugs the coast for longer. Does anyone have any good restaurants or just plain cool places to stop along the way from Eugene to Bandon?

I am not sure of any on the way. Coos Bay may have some options. I hear good things about a few places in Bandon, however, the town of Bandon is actually 5-10 past the resort.

• 2 weeks later...

what airline do you take out of CHI?

• 1 month later...

Anyone else heading out to Bandon Dunes for their summer solstice event in June? This will be my first trip out there, excited for the experience and the opportunity to play those courses but I have a lot of work to do before we go. I need to get in much better shape physically before that day comes. It's a great motivator though.

My friend and I are excited to be back there in June for our 2nd solstice event (and 8th trip over all). Last year event was a blast! The Bandon Dunes staff really know how to put together such an awesome event. Definitely THE MOST WELL ORGANIZED event that I have experienced.

About the event:

1) the day before the "big day": there is a putting contest at The Punch Bowl. This is where the BD staff is giving out the goodie bag. We got all kind of cool stuff last year: Maui Jim sunglasses, a set of Bandon Dunes (4 courses) whiskey glasses, golf shirt, BD Summer Solstice 2018 driver head cover etc.. there were plenty of free beer/drinks/snacks going around during that time as well. We were given food voucher for dinner the day before the event, two bfast vouchers (for the day of the event and the day after). Also, there was a buffet style dinner at the end of the big day.

2) The big day: The buffet bfast should be ready by 430am at Bandon Dunes golf course. Last year, the first tee time was at around 520am at each of the 4 course. There was also tee times starting on Bandon Dunes #10 as well (total 5 groups going at the the same time). I would recommend to pack a small bag (they have a place for you to store the bag while you are on the course) with extra socks (a MUST) and/or extra pair of shoes (most people would pack two pairs and alternate them between rounds). Use the shuttle provided by the course. You will literally will need to change your shoes/socks while being shuttled from one course to another. There will be plenty of water, gatorades, protein bars, fruits (bananas, apples etc..) stocked in the cooler along the courses. Lunch will be ready for you at the start of round #3. At the end of round 4, there will be some one at the proshop waiting for you with a crisp $100 bill! :) If you still have any energy left, head to the Preserve to complete the last 13 holes of the course (you might see Mr. Grant Long to finish his last (5th) round there).

The day after the big day: Bfast will be ready for you at the main lodge. We will be heading out.

How to get there: Since we have been at Bandon Dunes 7 times, we try to play other courses prior to arriving to the resort. Flying to PDX makes the most sense to us. We would drive 1/2 way and make a stop in Eugene/Florence over night. We played Florence Golf Links (old name: Sand Pines). It is a very nice track designed by Reese Jones. Bandon Crossing is the course that is highly recommended by the loopers at BD. If you're planning to fly to Coos Bay (30min from the resort), shipping your clubs with Ship Sticks directly to the course is probably the best way to bring your clubs. The airport at CoosBay is small (only small planes can land there). Some guys told us they couldn't bring their clubs on the plane with them because they plane small plane was full and got too heavy). (ship sticks would cost just a little more than the regular bag fees).

Playing links golf: still plenty of time to practice knock down shots, taking extra clubs and swing easy etc... Im biased here.. but links golf is the best way to play golf... the lies will be tight.. you can play the same hole using a driver and 6 iron one day.. then 5 iron, wedge the next day... the courses are all wide open.. most people would add shots around the greens... the lob wedge should rarely be used.. (or just leave it at home :)... learn how to chip with the 7-iron.... or a putter... or a hybrid... I would definitely spend some time at the practice facility (this place is awesome.... the Punch Bowl.. and play at least one round at the Preserve to get the feel of links golf...

Caddy or no Caddy: the caddies here are all good... they will definitely enhance your experience... this coming up trip will be our 8th trip.. we know the courses very well... but the caddies still add the special element to the overall experience.. especially around the greens.... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

It's going to be another epic event. Can't wait to get there. Enjoy the walk! Have fun! (I heard the completion rate has been 100%)... and say hi to Shoe!

• 2 weeks later...

I arrived at Bandon Dunes the afternoon of the summer solstice event last June. I didn't play it. My first tee time started the next day. I saw a lot of guys limping, dragging and looking pretty tired and sore. BUT, every single one of them loved the event and wore a giant grin. It is now a bucket list item for me.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we're flying into PDX Sunday and hopefully stopping at Mac before heading on our way down. probably staying somewhere on the way at an enjoyable course (coos bay?) and then heading in and playing at bandon on Monday. leaving wednesday (playing somewhere along the way back).

Titleist - 917-D3, 8.5 - AD BB-6X
Titleist - 917-F, 15 - AD BB-7X
Titleist - 916 T-MB 2 Iron - AD DI-105x
BB&F Co - DW - CB, 4-P - TI AMT X100
BB&F Co - DW - 53 & 58
Lamb Crafted - Allendale
MacKenzie - Sugarloaf Walker

Use the Bandon carts. The extra large wheels are great and it's OK to push them over the greens and tee boxes.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 4 weeks later...

6 weeks away until Summer Solstice!!!! Got excited so I searched the forum for any entries. This seems to be the most active.

It's the 4th time getting to take part in the solstice event for me. It's a long day, but so much fun. Golfrx08 gave a pretty great run down. I would echo much of their advice. Here's a short list of things I think might be helpful.

1. **Change socks in between each round and alternated between a couple pairs of shoes**. This will cut down on hotspots/blisters. This is one of the single best things you can do to make your day happier.

3. Get yourself some chamois cream like bike riders use. It will cut down on chafing. I won't get into details... but you won't regret it. I like [betwixt by zealios](https://www.amazon.com/Zealios-Betwixt-Chafing-Chamois-Cream/dp/B00F4A124O/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=betwixt&qid=1557269549&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1 "betwixt by zealios")

4. If you are going to carry your bag (or even use pull cart) ditch some of your clubs and gear to save weight. It's links golf...you won't need your 60 degree wedge. I basically go down to a half bag because I carry (end up hitting driver off the deck but the lies are so tight it is doable). Also go through your bag before hand and take out all that extra crap that has accumulated over time. You can restock golf balls and tees in between rounds.

5. Don't drink too much of that free beer the night before. I may sound like a nag, but I had a few too many one year and it made the big day a lot rougher.

6. Get used to playing fast. They expect you to play hour rounds in something like 3:10-3:30 (each round varies on how many holes you've played and which course it is). Forget your range finder, forget marking your ball on the green, forget your complicated pres-hot/putting routine. Keep moving.

A couple years ago, I used an app to track each round. I've posted them here to give you an idea. Trails is the toughest walk. It will be windy because it is summer and Old Mac will likely be the windiest.

Good luck!!

s9w042u2bhcx.jpeg

ii4matop2e6d.jpeg

mgiuv2ubzz33.jpeg

kooc93kcwbmn.jpeg

• Like 1

@bdt thanks for the good advise. You mention being able to restock balls and tees in between rounds. Do you mean by buying them at the next courses proshop or are you able to grab some from a bag. I was wondering if it made sense to have a backpack with my second set of shoes and extra socks and balls somewhere, but since the courses are spread out it probably doesn't make sense logistically to be able to grab that stuff. Just trying to make my golf bag as light as possible and didn't want to carry my other shoes in it if I don't have to.

@penziol Definitely bring a back pack. They have spots at each course for you to store a small bag. They give you a name tag for your bag when you drop it off. Then you pick it up at the end of the round and bring it with you on the shuttle to the next course. I always stock my bag with extra balls, shoes, socks, advil etc. Also usually bring some clothes as it warms up throughout the day. As you said... anything to lighten your bag.

As @golfrx08 mentioned in their post, Bandon has lots of gatorade and snacks on the course so I don't pack too much food. Maybe a few bars and an energy gel or two. They have a packed lunch for you after the second round.

They have tees at the starting hut of each course so don't worry about bringing extra.

My brother and I are playing the solstice for the first time this year - his first trip to Bandon and my 5th. We are arriving Saturday and playing each course once over the 3 days leading up to the big day, since I think it will be better for my brother to see each course outside of the marathon on Tuesday.

Anyone on here arriving at the same time who wants to join us for our rounds (assuming they haven't paired us up yet) just PM me.

I also think it would be cool if there were a few WRX"ers going who would want to meet up for dinner, either on property or in Bandon (don't miss going into town if you get the chance, I have been on a family vacation to Bandon with minimal golf and thoroughly enjoyed the sleepy quaint fishing village - and don't miss Face Rock Creamery for food and ice cream).

I literally think about this trip every hour of every day I'm at work.... I'm trying not to let the anticipation build too much but this is something I've wanted to do with my brother for a looong time.