SkyPro - really impressive

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed the bracket part is getting loose where it connects to the bottom. Theres only 1 screw though to tighten it down??

As far I can tell that's the only one.

How is this compared to Zepp 2 Golf?

I've only had some brief trials with Zepp and it's been some time since I've tried it. The best thing about Zepp is its simplicity and the small size. You can easily use it during a round because it sticks onto your glove rather than a club shaft. It does give a lot of data along with fancy coaching features but I preferred SkyPro's presentation. However Zepp felt very polished in overall nonetheless. Also it gives some extra information such as hand plane and speed as well as the hip rotation even though the accuracy of the latter number seemed a bit questionable.

On the downside, it didn't tell me the angle of attack, which I found very helpful with the SkyPro's Groove mode, and it didn't offer a putting mode and SkyPro's putting mode is rather useful. Personally I think the SkyPro is a bit more full featured product but the ease of use and the fancy software could easily make the Zepp more preferable for a golfer. However if I had to choose how to spend that sum of money for a golf gadget, I'll personally pick a rangefinder first before the swing analyzers.

Well after just 5 days it looks like my SkyPro is dead. It won't connect to my phone or tablet via bluetooth. I can't see the red light blinking on the on the SkyPro. I put it in the charging case (not charging) for 1 min and tried it again. Still nothing. I charged it for 1.5 hrs, the red light on the charging case wasn't flashing it just stayed on. Still won't connect. I cleaned the pins. Still nothing.
Was just browsing this thread since I revived mine from the dead, and this post seems like a good place to jump in. Basically gave up on my SkyPro, because I was having the same problem...the device wouldn't sync with my iPhone 6 Plus w/up-to-date IOS. The Bluetooth function on my phone recognized that the device was there but would not connect. Tried a couple of reboots, realized the insanity of more attempts than that, and stuck the thing on a charger on a table in my den and forgot about it. Remembered it a few months later, tried the sync thing again, and failed. Back to the table. Recently videoed my swing and spotted a flaw that the groove mode on SkyPro would be very helpful in fixing. So this time I deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone, took out the device, and it synced instantly. No problems calibrating either. May not be the fix for everybody, but that's what worked for me. For now. So now I have a battery life question: I read somewhere in this thread that it's best to keep the device on its charger, when not in use, so as not to let the battery drain completely. The question is, instead of keeping it on the table, where I'm apt to run out the house without it, is it okay to keep it on a USB port in my car where I'll always have it handy? Is intermittent charging while the car being driven a good in or a bad thing in terms of battery life and performance?

This should be answered by the engineer but as far as I know, a lithium battery hates being discharged all the way down to zero, and it's better to charge it frequently rather than letting it drain.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just to let you know, out of the blue the iOS Skypro app has had an update. Two points of interest, it has a swing diagnostic mode, haven’t tried it yet as it needs a new swing to work. The second thing is shot navigation and management has had a major overhaul so now you can structure (folders) and find shots (wildcard search) much much quicker since the very first app release.

I just updated on ios 11.2.2 and the update worked without any data loss and things seem been stable thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

Gord, not sure if you are responsible for the latest updates to the Skypro app but here are a couple of minor irritations.

The new diagnosis mode is the default view on launch, this perhaps makes sense if a Skypro is detected but is quickly frustrating when you just want to review swings, could this be a global user configurable option for app startup.

Next, free text search is cool but it is actually harder to pin down two driver swings for comparison than it use to be with the filter by club option. The text driver, 1 wood filters on swing label not the club.

Haven’t had a chance to try swing diagnostic mode, three swings with a low battery and no alerts prevented the app from offering any help with the swing. Just to say 67 mph with a 7 iron is a fault in my book!

The message at the PGA show was of the new diagnostic mode mentioned earlier and upcoming integration with SkyTrak which will provide a complete system (ball and club data combined). The Skypro folks seemed to be committed to continue improving the product software for the long term and only bringing out enhancements when they are ready. This is one of the things I like about Skygolf. You get solid hardware that can grow over time and not need to be replaced every year with a newer technology. Yes there are memberships involved which many don't like but its a relatively small investment to use an integrated system of products that don't require constant hardware upgrades every year or two.

• 1 month later...

it seems that skypro can be now integrated with skytrak. any of you sky pro users try this yet? I would love to have some real world feedback that isn’t testimonial on the manufacturer website. thanks

I own a Skytrak and a Skypro device.

If Skytrak is not connected to a Skypro, Skytrak will estimate clubhead speed (CHS) based on several other parameters it actually measures. With this CHS and the measured ballspeed it then calculates the PTI ( power transfer indicator, also known as smash factor). So without connection to a Skypro, the PTI and CHS are not very accurate.

If you connect a Skypro to a Skytrak device, the CHS Skypro measures is transferred to the Skytrak and Skytrak displayes this (accurate) CHS and calculates PTI based on this measured CHS. Both values are displayed in orange so you can see these values come from the Skypro.

ive got a skytrak already so I know it's strengths and weaknesses. is skypro accurate enough to augment the skytrak data and make it that much more accurate?

The SkyPro directly measures swing speed and only shares that measurement with SkyTrak. Without it SkyTrak calculates swing speed which isn't very accurate. There is no change in the flight algorithm whether swing speed is calculated by SkyTrak or measured by SkyPro. .

ive got a skytrak already so I know it's strengths and weaknesses. is skypro accurate enough to augment the skytrak data and make it that much more accurate?

The SkyPro directly measures swing speed and only shares that measurement with SkyTrak. Without it SkyTrak calculates swing speed which isn't very accurate. There is no change in the flight algorithm whether swing speed is calculated by SkyTrak or measured by SkyPro. .

strange, so the skytrak’s swing speed calculation and the skypro’s swing speed calculation could be different? and obviously skypro is making some assumptions about club head speed and doing estimates calculations because it’s not measuring the head directly but rather closer to the fulcrum at the base of the grip.

strange, so the skytrak's swing speed calculation and the skypro's swing speed calculation could be different? and obviously skypro is making some assumptions about club head speed and doing estimates calculations because it's not measuring the head directly but rather closer to the fulcrum at the base of the grip.

The measured data from SkyPro are going to be much more accurate and consistent than the SkyTrak numbers which are only calculated. The SkyPro numbers are right in line when I test it against a radar based Voice Caddie. SkyTrak swing speeds can be all over the map.

• 2 weeks later...

Gord, I am not sure if you still check this thread but I noticed another bug with the new app.

Once you complete a groove session it is possible to exit the groove score to a screen displaying the ten completed shots but without the navigation options to change groove mode or repeat the groove. The only option is to close the app which in turns forces another club calibration.

• 2 months later...

I've had my skypro for a few years. So obviously it is out of warranty. I love using it to diagnose my swing and grooving swing changes. During a driving range session the plastic cover came off. It looks like the plastic around the screws that attach the cover to the base sheared/cracked. The electronics went flying down range along with the cover. The electronics appear to be working. I need to replace the housing/cover. Does anyone know if skypro will provide replacement parts? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

RodC,

I think 59 pages of information on Skypro should be more than enough to allow you to make a judgement on if it is for you or not.

I am a long term user, to summarise, Skypro is great for practice with feedback, using the groove mode is the best feature of the product, the caveat being what you want to work on needs to be one of the groove mode options.

If you are looking for launch monitor style data, with the exception of club head speed and AoA, Skypro won’t give you any, they use their own way of supplying the information.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having some Skypro issues. When hitting irons I am getting a combination of backward shaft lean at impact and having a downward angle of attack.

How is that even possible? Flipping? If so, wouldn't that mean upward angle of attack? It is also showing a backward shaft lean at address and I don't think that's the case either. I'm confused and somewhat frustrated with the both the device and my swing!

Dave

I am having some Skypro issues. When hitting irons I am getting a combination of backward shaft lean at impact and having a downward angle of attack.

How is that even possible? Flipping? If so, wouldn't that mean upward angle of attack? It is also showing a backward shaft lean at address and I don't think that's the case either. I'm confused and somewhat frustrated with the both the device and my swing!

Dave

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Let’s assume your Skypro isn’t faulty, let’s also assume you have it correctly calibrated, with that said it is perfectly possible for the head to be past the grip with the club still travelling downward at impact.

Take everything to the extreme, generate an alert for too much shaft lean at address, see how that feels (check it in a mirror or video if possible). Repeat the exaggeration for shaft lean at impact, the closed face drill is a good one to get the feel.

Close the club fact 20 degrees or so, then take your grip, now try to hit a shot that doesn’t hook, the only way to achieve this is to exaggerate forward shaft lean at impact. Once again video your swings.

The bottom line is there is often quite a difference between feel and real.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my Skypro 3+ years. Its a great device. I have had zero hardware issues (battery, not registering shots consistently...etc.) I am a Stack and Tilt golfer so some of the baseline parameters that flag as out of spec (inside takeaway, inside return, shaft lean) really aren't out of spec for me and I have had to figure out based upon shot quality where I need to be for my best results. That said its an invaluable tool for me to get my swing back on track.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Can anyone who has used SkyPro with SkyTrak speak to the additional data you get?

I know you get measured CHS instead of calculated CHS and, thus, "measured" PTI/Smash factor. But, do you get any other club data in the SkyTrak app?

Driver: nope

2W: TaylorMade Mini 300 (13.5*) - Ventus Blue 7x 

5W: Cobra SpeedZone (18*) - Ventus Blue 8x

4H: PING G410 (22*) - Tour AD-95x

5i-PW: Srixon zX5/7 - Project X LZ 6.5

GW: PING Glide 3.0 - Project X Rifle 6.5

SW: Vokey TVD-K Grind - Project X Rifle 6.5

LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw LB - Project X Rifle 6.5

P: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 (Crescent Neck)