Help with inside takeaway!!!

Mr Titleist

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suffered this for years, best way i find to keep it in check is just to practice a hell of a lot of half swings to get my wrist hinge starting properly and the shaft more vertical at the halfway point, you can add a freezer every few shots as well to get a feel for where you're at, then you can then work on other stuff like the Faldo drill, Cowen's axe drill or whatever to get to the top and practice that. I've found lots of repetition and half swings make it feel a bit easier, it's all in that first foot of the takeaway unfortunately, and i find you need to have everything set up as if you're hitting a shot, so ball, position, target, etc, otherwise it's easy to just practice perfect without the added thoughts of a real swing.

Good luck anyway, there are many ways to get out of position, i tend to rotate a little flat and suck the club in, then swing miles in to out, i find in my half swing practices it's the rotation of the body that's my issue, this and late wrist hinge, there are just so many ways to go wrong unfortunately, the arm swing illusion stuff is good as well, it certainly seems to stop the arms being sucked round with the body if that's your issue.

Have to have more torso turn. Right arm straight as mentioned can help. Or hold an alignment stick ( can push it into the grip too) on grip and keep it on your side and drag it down your left leg.

Here’s an example of torso. Note how much his chest has turned by club parallel versus your chest.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Not an inside takeaway at all. But face is too open

Dan, if you see this... How do you recognize “inside take-away” form a dtl video? I would have characterized this as inside (not terrible).

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I was thinking the same, the camera seems to be lined up with his body and not hands or target line. If it's an inside takeaway, I'd say only very little. Other than the toe-up/open face, picture 3 looks like a pretty decent position to me.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Dan, if you see this... How do you recognize “inside take-away” form a dtl video? I would have characterized this as inside (not terrible).

Second frame is when club is parallel to the ground. Camera angle there is high. Clubhead is actually outside his hands from a decent camera angle

Phew. Was hoping you'd say this. I feel like I know what an inside takeaway is (ask me how I know!), and don't see it here.

Face looks open "early"/in a short distance away from the ball, but it's not by him pushing his hands away from his body while fanning the face open, even...

What's wrong with that? That doesn't look "inside" either.

Are you thinking he means that his back swing is too flat?

Many instructors prefer the club pointing at ball line or inside at this point. Clubhead a bit inside which points shaft outside ball

But that's a different conversation than an "inside takeaway," isn't it? Now we're talking about the shaft angle half way back, right?

What's wrong with that? That doesn't look "inside" either.

Are you thinking he means that his back swing is too flat?

Many instructors prefer the club pointing at ball line or inside at this point. Clubhead a bit inside which points shaft outside ball

But that's a different conversation than an "inside takeaway," isn't it? Now we're talking about the shaft angle half way back, right?

Just trying to decipher what the OP might be talking about, he mentions takeaway/backswing and includes that frame

Just trying to decipher what the OP might be talking about, he mentions takeaway/backswing and includes that frame

I hear you. Me too. So, hopefully we'll get a better understanding of what the OP thinks the problem is, what the problem is commonly referred to, and then what the plan of correction might be.

Last I heard you don't hit the ball on the takeaway. I get how a good backswing puts you in a better position to make a good throughswing, but it's no guarantee, just like a so called poor backswing doesn't automatically mean a poor impact position. What I don't get is all this obsessing over backswing positions and positions halfway back etc. And in the case of the OP he's talking about the takeaway, which doesn't even look that inside if at all. Ray Floyd made a pretty good career out of a takeaway that went way inside. I know this doesn't answer the OPs question, but maybe the question itself is the issue. I don't know how you can possibly make a good swing if you are concentrating on takeaway positions.

Last I heard you don't hit the ball on the takeaway. I get how a good backswing puts you in a better position to make a good throughswing, but it's no guarantee, just like a so called poor backswing doesn't automatically mean a poor impact position. What I don't get is all this obsessing over backswing positions and positions halfway back etc. And in the case of the OP he's talking about the takeaway, which doesn't even look that inside if at all. Ray Floyd made a pretty good career out of a takeaway that went way inside. I know this doesn't answer the OPs question, but maybe the question itself is the issue. I don't know how you can possibly make a good swing if you are concentrating on takeaway positions.

I think this is a valid comment, so the question goes back to the OP.

Why do you think you need to change that? Is it really causing a problem in your swing?

Have you worked at all with an instructor who has identified this as a fault, or are you diagnosing your own videos? If its the latter, my suggestion is to stop it. Get someone qualified to watch your swing and give you instruction, or find an online video analysis service, but don't try to do it yourself.

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for the responses.

My issue is just after halfway back the club is behind my hands. My backswing gets very flat with little to no wrist has hinge.

I am working with an instructor and tried to put in some wrist hinge from the start but just cannot seem to do it right.

Well then you might be surprised at what some people can do. I don't know a single good player, and would highly doubt there are many pros, who haven't worked on their takeaway at some point in their golfing life. Once you have something that works, you don't have to "concentrate" on it when swinging, but certainly would want to check it occasionally, especially if a particular swing issue arises.

The takeaway is part of the swing, whether inside, outside, straight up or somewhere in the middle, and it would be a more holistic approach to at least consider how it may or may not impact an individual swing. And as was noted by iteach, there is a different issue than inside to consider in his takeaway.

Has anyone asked yet about his emotional state?

Hi Everyone,

My issue is just after halfway back the club is behind my hands. My backswing gets very flat with little to no wrist has hinge.

I am working with an instructor and tried to put in some wrist hinge from the start but just cannot seem to do it right.

You may find this old thread of interest. http://www.golfwrx.c...-pivot-in-sync/

Here's a great training station to work on it too - too start give your self some room and start with slow swings to gain confidence that you don't hit the sticks

http://www.instagram.../p/BlJU3HLgmpH/

Or hold the alignment stick on your grip (or you can push it into the grip) and do this drill - get the stick to point more at your toe line. https://www.instagra.../p/Bhe5iCyFZko/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Hi Everyone,

Try that last drill glk posted with the alignment stick brushing your thigh in backswing to give you a feel. It can be hard to swing down with that alignment rod though

For years my swing looked eerily identical to that on the takeaway. For me the fix came with a change of intent. I now feel like the turn (chest + pivot) leads the hands back like I'm trying to sling the club up to the top with speed, which requires involving the big muscles. Letting the body go first keeps the hands in front more and results in a deeper less armsy turn with the club going away a bit more vertically, for me anyway. Wouldn't normally offer advice but in this case think it may help since our swings are (were) so incredibly similar.

Point logo of golf glove towards ground on takeaway.

Really? Wheres the logo on your glove?

Look at any picture of a golf glove - easy to see where it is on most brands.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Usually the logo is above your knuckles where you fasten the velcro. Will feel very bizarre! Bring your hands inside towards your right pocket and keep the clubhead outside your hands not whipped around your body. When your right elbow folds your club will naturally come up to the top in position. Watch a rear video of Rickie Fowler to see it.