2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rick Shiels - Wilson Staff Cortex Review

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see that I am not the only one who has given up on Shiels! I was thinking that I was perhaps being a little harsh but he has gone from being the first vlogger I used to check out to being the one I will watch if I literally have nothing else to do. Him trying to move into being more of a presenter as well is horrendous. The stuff he did at The Open was awful.

I would rather watch Bobcat review the SLDR-C.

Highlight of WRX today, Barvo GG!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

jezz, i dont get all the shade at Rick. he does a decent job, i find him funny and more entertaining the Mark. i feel that people dont like him because he is successful. which is pathetic.

people can label him a sellout, but i would sell out in an instant. as would everyone.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I've never seen the hate for a club like I've witnessed with the Cortex. It's like people want to be a part of the "IN" crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

Ummm, have you read any of the PXG threads??

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I don’t understand why people get so upset at shiels. It must be jealousy. He’s Just a guy that reviews golf clubs and gives opinions. What in the world could he do to upset folks?! Seriously folks, some of you really need to relax. If you don’t like his style, don’t watch. I don’t understand why folks trash the guy for no apparent reason.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

1. Rick Shiels does a good job with the reviews especially the new format

2. Good for him in getting the WS/Golf Channel gig

3. Cortex is overpriced and will do marginally better than Triton but still fail by industry standards. My guess is they didn't make many.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

"I've absolutely ripped that one" haha

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Shiels does just an ok job in my opinion befare crossfield straight as die crossy. I didn’t really like the reviews shiels did on the mizuno woods I would see y he hates the sound personal opinion but then he disses the blue colour on the heads when games a cobra f7 3 wood in cheap tacky blue finish which is just horrible and the blue on mizunos is actually nice and Rick only uploads like 1 or twice a months at least crossfield is one or two a day with vlogs ??

I would rather watch Bobcat review the SLDR-C.

Right On Gary!...Just do a search to find one!... :good:

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

jezz, i dont get all the shade at Rick. he does a decent job, i find him funny and more entertaining the Mark. i feel that people dont like him because he is successful. which is pathetic.

people can label him a sellout, but i would sell out in an instant. as would everyone.

Exactly. You see the same pattern everywhere. The early adopters say your cool, insightful, independent, objective. When you become popular the same people call you a sell out and "Hollywood".

Unless you hit an enormous freaking hook with every swing than Shiels is useless, he rights off basically anything expensive or that works for a low spin player.

Disagree about him writing off anything that works for a low spin player, after all he plays a G400 LS. He does point out that low spin drivers are not a good match for golfers with slow swing speeds.

If you're watching any of these reviewers for anything but basic information and entertainment you're wasting your time. Why? Because any club will work. Assuming it's at least a close fit, in the hands of a skilled golfer it will hit the ball straight and an appropriate distance. Does that mean it will work in your hands? Absolutely not. Conversely a club that one reviewer doesn't like may be perfect for you. If you are in the market for new clubs spend you time going to a demo day or getting a fitting instead of watching You Tube videos.

If you're watching any of these reviewers for anything but basic information and entertainment you're wasting your time. Why? Because any club will work. Assuming it's at least a close fit, in the hands of a skilled golfer it will hit the ball straight and an appropriate distance. Does that mean it will work in your hands? Absolutely not. Conversely a club that one reviewer doesn't like may be perfect for you. If you are in the market for new clubs spend you time going to a demo day or getting a fitting instead of watching You Tube videos.

+1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Rick is still ok, but has gotten more clickbaity with his content. "Want to hole more putts? Just do THIS!!!!" stuff like that. The fun stuff like the old clubs, the grooveless wedge, and the 750cc driver are interesting. I do miss the old vlogs with Pete, Carter, and Fryer.

His reviews are fine, no better or worse than anyone else out there. I do like that he takes clubs out on the course now. His swing speed/skill set are what they are and not comparable to the average golfer. Most reviewers aren't. His mid handicap reviews with Rob Potter were nice when he was running those.

I find myself watching Crossfield more and more recently. I couldn't stand him and the group in the vlogs when I first started watching, but they have grown on me. His reviews are fine too. He's more willing to speak his mind than some of the other guys out there.

Cortex might get some traction if the tour players are gaming them, if they don't then it won't stand a chance. Same goes for Mizuno and Srixon woods. Cobra woods are being played by their tour players and doing ok.

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Well I just gave the Cortex a test flight and it's for real ! A "THUNDERBOLT" . This club is as better then any out there!!! !! My neighbor just dumped his nice new TM M ? what ever for the Cortex and It is truly a contender for " Driver of the Year". Gary Woodland has seen the light and switched to Wilson.. The Cortex is not only the best looking club driver ever, it will be the club you will want after you try it ..

Well I just gave the Cortex a test flight and it's for real ! A "THUNDERBOLT" . This club is as better then any out there!!! !! My neighbor just dumped his nice new TM M ? what ever for the Cortex and It is truly a contender for " Driver of the Year". Gary Woodland has seen the light and switched to Wilson.. The Cortex is not only the best looking club driver ever, it will be the club you will want after you try it ..

Uhhhhhhhhh....ok.......................I’ll stick with my TS2 but thank you for the VERY convincing and persuasive uhhhhhhhhh, write up? Yeah, write up. Good talk.

Uhhhhhhhhh....ok.......................I’ll stick with my TS2 but thank you for the VERY convincing and persuasive uhhhhhhhhh, write up? Yeah, write up. Good talk.

Gary Woodland has seen the light BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Current pulse...

49 comments, 3,599 views and so far only one individual followed the directions despite everyone else going CrAzY about Rick Shiels....OH, and a few “clickbaits”!!!

Maybe we should start another thread titled “What’s Your Thoughts on Rick Shiels” just to see how far off tangent we can get and how many people we can upset???

Maybe we should have a Wilson Shootout...Triton vs. Cortex...The Ultimate Loser...

Gary Woodland has seen the light BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Short and simple here Jr, it put my Rogue to rest. Hope you enjoy your TS2.✌️

Current pulse...

49 comments, 3,599 views and so far only one individual followed the directions despite everyone else going CrAzY �� about Rick Shiels....OH, and a few “clickbaits”!!!

Maybe we should start another thread titled “What’s Your Thoughts on Rick Shiels” just to see how far off tangent we can get and how many people we can upset???

Maybe we should have a Wilson Shootout...Triton vs. Cortex...The Ultimate Loser...

Please don't start another thread.

Current pulse...

49 comments, 3,599 views and so far only one individual followed the directions despite everyone else going CrAzY �� about Rick Shiels....OH, and a few “clickbaits”!!!

Please don't start another thread.

HA!

I've never seen the hate for a club like I've witnessed with the Cortex. It's like people want to be a part of the "IN" crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

You're the third comment post.... I'm # 5. where is the HATE ? Are you suffering from something we should all know about?

Read all the Cortex threads... The negative objectivity of this board is almost embarrassing.

TaylorMade, Callaway and Ping are the 3 ugly sisters and little Cortex wants to go to the ball!

I just think it’s hilarious how much attention this club has been getting. If the M series drivers and the Flash were to be released right now, this thread would be on the bottom of the list. I wouldn’t even worry about testing this club until the other OEM’s release theirs in a couple of months, then go ahead and test them all against each other. For now, no sense in dropping $500 on a club that is "just as good"

I just think it’s hilarious how much attention this club has been getting. If the M series drivers and the Flash were to be released right now, this thread would be on the bottom of the list. I wouldn’t even worry about testing this club until the other OEM’s release theirs in a couple of months, then go ahead and test them all against each other. For now, no sense in dropping $500 on a club that is "just as good"

AND when the other OEMs s release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.

AND when the other IEMs release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll Hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.

You mean the OEM's that have demo heads available? With multiple shaft options to dial in? The same OEM's that have a track record of proven performance in the driver space?

Why is it so hard to fathom that Wilson has a huge perception issue to overcome?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

AND when the other IEMs release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll Hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.

You mean the OEM's that have demo heads available? With multiple shaft options to dial in? The same OEM's that have a track record of proven performance in the driver space?

Why is it so hard to fathom that Wilson has a huge perception issue to overcome?

It’s not hard to fathom they have a perception to overcome. Never said a word about that. All I’ll say is this, bar none their products are as good as anything out. Like it or not. They don’t promise blind consumers 17 yards one year and then say, oh, these irons are another 10 yards per club longer the next. MAYBE you will get the point. Not trying by no means to start a pudding match.It’s well known that their marketing sucks. Yet they remain on a 2 year cycle unlike most with new products. Sure, they need more presence with their demo stuff and fitting carts. If people would , if available, just try their products maybe the light would be shed a little more. On a final note, why would people put all their faith in a review by one man alone to make their minds up on a product? If you, and I use “you” as a whole, put ones fsith in that alone. That’s very blind indeed. Enjoy the rest of your day.