side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

Those of you who are using the BG F22 and doing well...or maybe just a general question...

Do you sole the putter flat and play at the 80 angle? Or do you try to let it hang at 90 degrees with the heel off the ground?

I tend to miss a lot to the right when I let it hang, but the stroke feels so much better than when I try to sole it flat.

Those of you who are using the BG F22 and doing well...or maybe just a general question...

Do you sole the putter flat and play at the 80 angle? Or do you try to let it hang at 90 degrees with the heel off the ground?

I tend to miss a lot to the right when I let it hang, but the stroke feels so much better than when I try to sole it flat.

I try to play the putter as close to 90* as possible. Thats why I struggled with the Juan, because the design just didn't allow it to be held at a 90*. I've got a LFI and a F22 and the tri-sole allows it to be held more at 90*.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I don't think there's necessarily a "best way" here. It all depends on what works for the individual.

I've experimented extensively with both methods....

and for me, I like to sole the putter. It makes the putter feel more stable to me.

I've been doing better letting it hang at 90 degrees. I really focus on stabilizing the top of the putter. I feel like I'm just taking it back and letting it swing like a pendulum. I was draining them from all over.

Side note...today was the first time I felt a little weird while practicing. I overheard a guy telling his buddy to watch me putt. His buddy said "yeah, but that's illegal". I just kept my mouth shut and kept rolling them in.

I've been doing better letting it hang at 90 degrees. I really focus on stabilizing the top of the putter. I feel like I'm just taking it back and letting it swing like a pendulum. I was draining them from all over.

Side note...today was the first time I felt a little weird while practicing. I overheard a guy telling his buddy to watch me putt. His buddy said "yeah, but that's illegal". I just kept my mouth shut and kept rolling them in.

A pretty common reaction when someone hasn't seen a sidesaddle putter before.

My experience has been much like Bluedot's: good golfers/pro's see the good stoke, high handicappers only see someone doing something weird.

I used to be self conscious about my SS method when I first started and was paired with people I had never golfed with before....

but now I've been doing it for so long (going on 6 yrs), I don't even think about it. As you said, I just go out and make putts!

• 2 weeks later...

@rawdog

A different kind of SS stroke.

Most of us have the left hand on top of the putter so it can be used like a pendulum.

Your stroke reminds me of this:

Whatever works!

That's a video and stance I have not seen. Mine is patterned after Bryson's technique. I like the shorter shaft for more control. I tried similar grip to that in the video you linked, and I didn't feel as stable (she does it well).

I like to feel my right hand is hanging and my palm open (even if it isn't in reality). Thumb points toward the hole. Left hand just acts as a stabilizer.

But it's still a work in progress so perhaps I'll keep working on different grips.

Cool stuff!

@rawdog

Most of us have the left hand on top of the putter so it can be used like a pendulum.

Whatever works!

That's a video and stance I have not seen. Mine is patterned after Bryson's technique. I like the shorter shaft for more control. I tried similar grip to that in the video you linked, and I didn't feel as stable (she does it well).

I like to feel my right hand is hanging and my palm open (even if it isn't in reality). Thumb points toward the hole. Left hand just acts as a stabilizer.

But it's still a work in progress so perhaps I'll keep working on different grips.

Cool stuff!

This is an interesting approach, I always wondered why like Bryson tried this vs the "traditional" side saddle method he had previously used, but its all whatever works! As someone who's side saddled for 2 straight years, I'll never question what anyone does with a putter if the ball goes into the hole more often than the previous way they did things.

Why did you keep the putter more CB in length? Was that by design or just trying something and might cut down to more standard length in the future?

What are the specs on the custom putter? Length, lie, loft, headweight?

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Well, you guys convinced me. I already have been playing with an unconventional putting style. I have a 38" Cleveland 2135 counterbalance putter w/ a long grip on it. I hold it with a standard grip but my left hand is at the top and stays stationary and my right is at the bottom of the grip and controls the putter. This just seems like the next evolution for me to line up better and sink more putts.

I found a 38" BG f-22 online and it got delivered Sat afternoon. While holding nothing, I tried to figure out what height my left hand would be comfortable at and decided chest high would be good. Took it down and had my guy extend it to 49" and throw on a 2 piece SS grip I had that I picked up for $2 when a local shop closed a few months ago. Only reason I bought it at the time was because it was $2. He finished up and I took it to the practice green for about an hour working on pace from 3'-60'. Felt good so threw it in the bag for the tournament I was playing Sunday morning.

My partners were immediately asking what I'm doing changing things up because they've been impressed with how well my current style has been working for the last 8 months. First hole sunk a 7' downhill slider. "Well if that's how it's going to work for you, I like it." I did struggle a bit and had a few 3 putts but it was more a matter of me having trouble reading the greens. I was hitting it where I meant to but was just WAY off on my reads for awhile. By 15 they asked to try it out on the putting green after the round. First time out though and 35 putts, I'll take it.

I'll post some pics soon. Maybe a video for some feedback.

Well, you guys convinced me. I already have been playing with an unconventional putting style. I have a 38" Cleveland 2135 counterbalance putter w/ a long grip on it. I hold it with a standard grip but my left hand is at the top and stays stationary and my right is at the bottom of the grip and controls the putter. This just seems like the next evolution for me to line up better and sink more putts.

I found a 38" BG f-22 online and it got delivered Sat afternoon. While holding nothing, I tried to figure out what height my left hand would be comfortable at and decided chest high would be good. Took it down and had my guy extend it to 49" and throw on a 2 piece SS grip I had that I picked up for $2 when a local shop closed a few months ago. Only reason I bought it at the time was because it was $2. He finished up and I took it to the practice green for about an hour working on pace from 3'-60'. Felt good so threw it in the bag for the tournament I was playing Sunday morning.

My partners were immediately asking what I'm doing changing things up because they've been impressed with how well my current style has been working for the last 8 months. First hole sunk a 7' downhill slider. "Well if that's how it's going to work for you, I like it." I did struggle a bit and had a few 3 putts but it was more a matter of me having trouble reading the greens. I was hitting it where I meant to but was just WAY off on my reads for awhile. By 15 they asked to try it out on the putting green after the round. First time out though and 35 putts, I'll take it.

I'll post some pics soon. Maybe a video for some feedback.

Fantastic.

Once you get your setup stuff all figured out - you'll be ready to rock in roll.

I tell people I feel like I always have the ball on the line I want - the only reason I miss a putt is because of the other two variables: speed and break.

Thanks everybody for the F22 recommend.

It arrived late Saturday. I decided to go cold turkey and use it Sunday morning with only about 10 minutes practice time prior to the round.

I am 5' 5" and the putter is 45 ". I pretty much standing straight up with just a slight bend at the waist. I probably could cut it down a couple inches, but I putted so well and it felt so natural that I will probably just stick with it.

The putter is just amazing. The feel off the face is like butter and as advertised, the few mishits rolled right out to the proper distance. My playing partners were even amazed at how easy the stroke look, yet the ball just kept rolling. I found it easier to aim than the Juan Putt, but I think this is mostly due to the longer length and seeing the line better. I do find it also easier to make sure that the putter is properly soled due to the head not being a solid body like the Juan Putt. You can see by the shadows inside the putter when it is soled properly.

It is a beautiful putter and the balance and ease of swing is really impressive.

I did not have a 3 putt and made all of my putts inside of 5 feet. I had three long lags right up to the hole. I missed a 8 foot par save as I hurried the swing and pulled the putt left.

As other's have mentioned above, if you are going to switch to side saddle or are having issue, go to a longer putter and cut it down from there.

Worth every penny.

I'm really glad you like it; it's a great putter. And I mean no disrespect in that to either the JuanPutt or the Directed Force putters that I used (and still own).

I really like the Juan Putt and I am sure it would have been a great putter in a longer version. I putted really well with it from the start.

Yeah Juan makes a great product.

For me personally, the F22 is unmatched. BG makes some fantastic products. The feel on the putter and the roll off the face is just spectacular, plus its the easiest one to line up in my opinion.

We really do need to think about having a "Sidesaddle" get together. Come together in sidesaddle comraderie, share some tips and play some golf......

I’ve been following this topic for a few months now.

Finally took the plunge and ordered a Juan Putt today.

I’ve probably only holed 2 putts over 8 foot all year and on Sunday I yipped a couple. Almost felt paralysed trying to initiate the backstroke.

Being on the green in 2 and 4 putting is no fun. My playing partners knew I was struggling and insisted I putted everything .

I’m not expecting miracles but realistically I don’t think it can get any worse.

Strange thing is I had a 2 hour putter fitting/lesson a few weeks back on the Sam putt lab and the guy said my stroke/alignment etc was all great. I could have cried.

I’ve been following this topic for a few months now.

Finally took the plunge and ordered a Juan Putt today.

I’ve probably only holed 2 putts over 8 foot all year and on Sunday I yipped a couple. Almost felt paralysed trying to initiate the backstroke.

Being on the green in 2 and 4 putting is no fun. My playing partners knew I was struggling and insisted I putted everything .

I’m not expecting miracles but realistically I don’t think it can get any worse.

Strange thing is I had a 2 hour putter fitting/lesson a few weeks back on the Sam putt lab and the guy said my stroke/alignment etc was all great. I could have cried.��

Welcome to the dark side!

Not expecting miracles is a good place to start.

Sidesaddle putting, like anything, will take practice.

And just like with any putting method: you'll miss putts and have bad days.....

But I definitely believe it is an easier and more accurate way to putt.

I've been putting this way 6 years now - and I'd never go back to traditional putting.

I use to avg 38+ putts a round. Now I'm in the 30-32 range and routinely have rounds with 30 or less.

1) I see the line better.

2) The stroke feels more natural (like how I'd roll a ball on a green with my hands)

3) I don't have to worry about my head moving, left wrist breakdown, eyes over the ball, shoulders rocking etc etc

Just point and shoot. Easy Peasy.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

What length did you get on your Juan Putter?

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Juanputt today and I’m looking forward to starting practicing.

Does the putting trac help getting a consistent stroke?

A few of you were quite positive about it earlier on in the thread.

I don’t really know much about the stroke re tempo etc so any tips would be appreciated( or is there another thread for that)

Got my Juanputt today and I'm looking forward to starting practicing.

I don't really know much about the stroke re tempo etc so any tips would be appreciated( or is there another thread for that)

Yep, use the track for sure. After I sold my Juanputt, I regretted not keeping that.

I don't really know much about the stroke re tempo etc so any tips would be appreciated( or is there another thread for that)

The best training aid I ever bought was a "boomerang" putting track.

What I loved, and still love, about it - was that I could literally take hundreds of putts in about 15 minutes.

Really helped me get used to the sidesaddle stroke and also helped me figure out what worked for me setup wise.

I still use it to this day (almost 5 years later)

https://www.boomerangputting.com/bt-trainer/

Yep, use the track for sure. After I sold my Juanputt, I regretted not keeping that.

Well, I'm still using your old LFI putter but as unanchored long putting stroke with very good results. I did try it as side saddle few times but I will wait until at a later date.

I don't think my friends likes me using it as they are losing money to me! Ha

BTW, I talked to your dad yesterday morning.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

What I loved, and still love, about it - was that I could literally take hundreds of putts in about 15 minutes.

Really helped me get used to the sidesaddle stroke and also helped me figure out what worked for me setup wise.

https://www.boomeran...com/bt-trainer/

Thats a great product that I'm going to need to look at for sure! I learned the ins and outs using a Pelz Truth board, which is kinda the same thing. These are very helpful in learning the basics with the approach.

Well, I'm still using your old LFI putter but as unanchored long putting stroke with very good results. I did try it as side saddle few times but I will wait until at a later date.

I don't think my friends likes me using it as they are losing money to me! Ha

BTW, I talked to your dad yesterday morning.

Bill, you could use an old hockey stick and still take money off those guys!

https://www.boomeran...com/bt-trainer/

Thats a great product that I'm going to need to look at for sure! I learned the ins and outs using a Pelz Truth board, which is kinda the same thing. These are very helpful in learning the basics with the approach.

Another great thing about it - it's addictive.

The challenge of seeing how many consecutive "In's & outs" you can get keeps you interested.

So you're working on your putting stroke, getting feedback AND having fun.

My record for consecutive in's and out's is 28.

When I practice in the morning, I won't leave the station unless I've gotten at least 5 in row.

Tougher than it looks.....

Don't worry about it; I haven't used another putter that fit the JuanPutt putting trac. And you could do pretty much the same thing with a couple of 1x2's anyway.

The putting trac is a VERY big deal; use it as much as you can early on. The feeling of going straight back and thru is reinforced quickly, and the confidence that comes with it is invaluable. The most remarkable thing about the putting trac is that you quickly realize that you aren't hitting the sides either going back or coming thru, that you are making a good stroke from Day One.

There is a key moment in the process when you realize that you just don't have to pay much attention to manipulating the backswing in order to get the putter face back to the ball squarely. For me, the way that played out was the realization of just how hard I had been working putting conventionally to make a good stroke and get square contact. It was maybe the most "freed up" feeling I've ever had in golf.

Which, in turn, makes you realize that you WILL get the putt started on the line you've picked.

Which, in turn, allows you to just focus on getting the speed right during the stroke.

Sounds too simple to be true, I know, but that's all there is to it. And the more you use the putting trac, and the more you practice short flat putts to get the reinforcement of how simple and effective the stroke is, the quicker you can move on with confidence to the "issue" of distance control. And that is MUCH easier than most believe; it's just a matter of time while your brain converts the huge database you already have about distance control and green speeds and slope and grain and all the rest from two hands to one hand. Once your brain finishes that process and starts thinking in the language of one hand putting, go ahead and sell all your conventional putters, cause you ain't going back, ever.

And wait until you have done it for awhile and putt 3rd or 4th in a scramble and make EVERYTHING after getting two or three looks at the line and speed! You'll just laugh out loud.

The putting trac is a VERY big deal; use it as much as you can early on. The feeling of going straight back and thru is reinforced quickly, and the confidence that comes with it is invaluable. The most remarkable thing about the putting trac is that you quickly realize that you aren't hitting the sides either going back or coming thru, that you are making a good stroke from Day One.

There is a key moment in the process when you realize that you just don't have to pay much attention to manipulating the backswing in order to get the putter face back to the ball squarely. For me, the way that played out was the realization of just how hard I had been working putting conventionally to make a good stroke and get square contact. It was maybe the most "freed up" feeling I've ever had in golf.

Which, in turn, makes you realize that you WILL get the putt started on the line you've picked.

Which, in turn, allows you to just focus on getting the speed right during the stroke.

Sounds too simple to be true, I know, but that's all there is to it. And the more you use the putting trac, and the more you practice short flat putts to get the reinforcement of how simple and effective the stroke is, the quicker you can move on with confidence to the "issue" of distance control. And that is MUCH easier than most believe; it's just a matter of time while your brain converts the huge database you already have about distance control and green speeds and slope and grain and all the rest from two hands to one hand. Once your brain finishes that process and starts thinking in the language of one hand putting, go ahead and sell all your conventional putters, cause you ain't going back, ever.

And wait until you have done it for awhile and putt 3rd or 4th in a scramble and make EVERYTHING after getting two or three looks at the line and speed! You'll just laugh out loud.

This is a true statement for sure. I used to be the worthless 1st putter that sometimes would make a 8ft putt but that was about all I was good for. This year I putted 4th in several scrambles and just made some bombs, its so much fun not being a putting liability...

@rawdog

Whatever works!

Cool stuff!

This is an interesting approach, I always wondered why like Bryson tried this vs the "traditional" side saddle method he had previously used, but its all whatever works! As someone who's side saddled for 2 straight years, I'll never question what anyone does with a putter if the ball goes into the hole more often than the previous way they did things.

Why did you keep the putter more CB in length? Was that by design or just trying something and might cut down to more standard length in the future?

What are the specs on the custom putter? Length, lie, loft, headweight?

Hey, sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread! I must confess I patterned my setup after Bryson's in his most recent go-around. For me, I tried using a literal broomstick and other longer objects but couldn't get comfortable. I felt like I was simply too far from the ball (lever was too long with a higher fulcrum). So instead, I decided to try Bryon's approach and make my right shoulder the fulcrum.

I am not sure what "CB" stands for. I have always played with 34 or 33.5 inch putters, and my first prototype was 33.5 inches. It was a center-shaft mallet my friend milled for me, 355g. I simply added a long Iomic "Unit" grip and started using is side-saddle. I found that with that short shaft length and heavy grip, I lost the pendulum feel down by the head. The putter in my videos is 33.5". Lie is 79* and loft is 0*.

The rationale behind the new design was to make it as ugly as possible. I wanted to stress function over form. I made the width 4.25 inches to match the width of the hole for visualization purposes. I wanted it square (rectangular in reality) to remind me to swing and release the club straight down the target line (in reality I'm arcing a little bit).

The weight is just over 500g and the material is solid aluminum. This gave me the heavier feel I needed on the head. Shaft is a surplus x-stiff Bio Cell shaft because it was black (cool! lol), light to maintain the balance, and cheap!

Grip was the SS belly grip so I could get the length I needed for my right hand to hang low. And it's girthier than my old Iomic so I can get a good grip with my stabilizing left hand. One fun byproduct is that it sits up on its own on the green. I also use the depth and width of the putter so I can position my right foot in the same place every time. This is a new development. I set the right edge of the putter just behind the ball, go one more width back, and then place my right foot so the big toe is just left of the left edge of the head.

This gives me about 1.5" to the right of my foot and keeps me from hitting my foot. Keeping the ball 8" in front of my foot allows me to look directly down at the ball, set the shaft perpendicular (I can see the ball in alignment with the butt end of the grip). I can also make sure my eyes are directly over the butt end because I can't see the sides of the grip. Kind of like using a bubble level.

So once I have everything lined up, I stare lovingly into the eyes of my target (the hole, or a spot on the green), then just react. No time to flinch, just to react.

It may seem like a lot, and I have not done this on the course, but I do it quickly and without thinking now on my green, and the results have been good. It may not be an optimal stroke, but having a pre-shot routing helps me replicate the stroke much more easily.

Whew. Sorry long post!

That's exactly what every side saddle putter needs to do: figure out the putter specs and setup that works for them - and then just point and shoot!

My putter is very heavy too. I think the Bobby Grace F22 is in the 515/525g range.

Good luck and keep it up.

Thanks! Down the road I am not against trying some cooler looking heads (I love Grace's work), but for now, this is kind of my "training" putter.

It does feel good to "point and shoot." Good luck to you as well!

I'm headed to Tampa this weekend (I live in Ohio) to play golf for the first time in a month. So I'll have a chance to try this out on the practice green and course. Exciting, regardless of what results I get.

Wow, I just found this thread... Feels like an AA meeting...

"I'm Rohlio. I have been sidesaddling for 5 years now."

I use a 47" directed Force Reno 2 putter at 80* lie angle. Top hand one inch in front of my chest... bottom hand pencil grip.

I switched mid round in a tournament with a conventional putter. I had hit all 9 greens on the front and was 4 over par

I had just had it. I was so sick of missing 3 and 4 footers it made me sick. I switched on the back 9 with a conventional putter and no idea what I wad doing and was -2 on the back. I never looked back.

I am now absolute money from about 8'. If I miss it was simply a poor read. Wish I would have found this sooner.

Cheers to all you fellow liberated minds!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle