2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why does everyone say Sabatini is a jerk?

Hit em good

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a story a few years ago at the Sony in Hawaii. Rory S came in very early for a practice round and was paired with a husband and wife tourist twosome. It's a resort course. The couple said he couldn't have been nicer. Helping them with their game and enjoying his company. They ate lunch together after the round and he picked up the tab.

There's no particular reason a player has to be gracious and friendly with competitors and their caddies.

It's a competition, there's no Mr. Congeniality award.

You ever watch a Bengals/Ravens game.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I was playing with a local pro I know well and do some lessons with. He played 30 some PGA tour events in the early 2000’s. I randomly asked him who the most disliked guy on tour was, and without pause, “Rory Sabbatini without a doubt”.

Same answer when Howard Stern asked Jason Dufner the same question in an interview. Dufner didn't think long either.

Found the interview from Aug 2013 after he won the PGA. Good listen. Duf is cool. Starts at 1:48 for about a half hour. They talk about the baba booey yelling. Funny stuff.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT86v1vJGpo[/media]

So bored is WRX that a Rory f****** Sabbatini thread was started.

This is a new low - even for us.

Well, enough members were interested enough to reply, so you don't need to worry about it.

I was just kidding Bro Montana. I’m always down to discuss the complexities of the venerable Rory Sabbatini

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

If I recall correctly, he was generally not very well liked and then he crossed Tiger at one point and was basically on the s*** list ever since then. He was in contention several times this year but you wouldn't have known it by the coverage. He also just has an unfortunate face. :D

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

For me, the "dislike" for Sabbatini goes back some 13 years to this incident. I was watching and remember it well, it was an ugly scene. Prior to this incident I didn't have a feeling about the golfer either positive or negative. I think you will find that most of the criticism of Sabbatini's *****ly personality was initiated with this matter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/12/AR2005061201546.html

Well maybe I'm quite odd but I was in full applause mode when he took a stand against slow play. Many complain about slow play as evidenced by the many threads on this site but few really stick their necks out and do something about it cause it might offend someone. And a round and round we go....

Totally agree. Now, I’d much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.

Well maybe I'm quite odd but I was in full applause mode when he took a stand against slow play. Many complain about slow play as evidenced by the many threads on this site but few really stick their necks out and do something about it cause it might offend someone. And a round and round we go....

You can take a stand without being a child about it though, that is what people took issue with. He does not get a free pass to be a ****head just because his frustrations happened to line up with an issue the Tour has.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Totally agree. Now, I’d much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.

I get the impression that grabbing a beer with Ben Crane involves 1 beer, 1 juice, a lengthy lecture on vice and a list of methods for repentance.

The walking ahead incident wasn't great

Well here's the funny thing about that. Most everyone here has an angle on slow play on tour and many of them want players to take matters into their own hands. Well, except for Rory S. He's a jerk for doing it.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I think John Rahm is challenging him as the biggest jerk. Every single person (waiters, sales people, drivers on the same road...) in the Phoenix area who has ever had an encounter with him has sworn they will forever hate professional golf and golfers.

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

Totally agree. Now, I'd much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.

I get the impression that grabbing a beer with Ben Crane involves 1 beer, 1 juice, a lengthy lecture on vice and a list of methods for repentance.

ha ...

"i know i'm slow ... i'm working on it ... it's going to take some time"

Totally agree. Now, I'd much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.

I think he'd be fun, but I don't think even I can nurse a beer for 6 hours!

he's a combination of the worse of South Africa and America.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Google "Rory Sabbatini Jerk"--- and get over 7,000 pages

https://bleacherrepo...-pga-tours-jerk

https://www.golf.com...-pros-wrong-way

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/55163-singh-and-sabbatini-have-verbal-clash-over-a-caddie/

https://bleacherrepo...all-time#slide3

In 2007, he challenged Tiger Woods to a fight. Well, not a fistfight, but told the best player in the world to “pick up his game."

The cocky South African started a feud with Woods (what has Tiger ever done to these guys?) during the Tournament Players Championship.

“I want Tiger," he said. "I want him to pick it up this week and we will be there late Sunday. He’s more beatable than ever.”

That same year, Sabbatini’s pompous attitude led to the distinction of being voted Sports Illustrated's least favorite playing partner on a tour.

In 2011, he berated a teenage volunteer at Riviera and then engaged in a yelling match with Sean O’Hair.

The words “jerk” and “superior” have often been used to describe Sabbatini who responded to questions about the O’Hair incident and a possible suspension with, “Comment on what? Those crazy rumors going around? Well, I’m playing this week, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. OK guys?”

Whatever you say, Rory.

Sabbatini was Pat Perez before people knew much about Pat Perez. He said brash things, he picked fights with Tiger. There was the Crane incident....

His wife was usually pretty loud on the sidelines.

Just a really brash couple. He was probably ahead of his time truthfully because that is alot more "in" now. I mean people love Perez for "calling it like he sees it"....6-8 years ago sabbatini was despised on here for basically doing the same

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Had the pleasure of playing with Rory a few times via a mutual friend who is also a bit of mystery amongst the tour community. I’ve nothing but great experiences with him, on and off the course. He’s very passionate and sometimes that manifests itself in away that makes others uncomfortable. You know exactly where you stand with him, he’s your best friend until you cross then you’re done there’s no way back from that.

Not that charitable work makes you a good person, but that same fire he brings he puts into that aspect of his life as well. He’s very big on supporting military families and a junior reading program as well as various other initiatives.

He and I went to school (different schools) about the same time and I ended up with him a couple times. It’s no misguided myth, dudes an a-hole.

I have posted before as I also “ended up with him” and the first time was after his 2005 debacle with Ben Crane and it was down in Fla and we hit it off, what can I say. I too can be an arsehole but I tend to go after guys my “size” or bigger, where as it seems that the Rorrs tends to go after the quieter soft spoken smaller guys, lol. I mentioned this to him cuz he made a comment to a guy in the bar that evening while we were waiting for his then wife, Amy, and Madison. I apologized to the guy, who accidently took a beer off of the bar that was Sabatini’s, though he had the same beer sitting there and Rory actually set his down closer to the guy, so he naturally thought that it was his. It was uncalled for.

I’ll leave it at that and Brian is spot on except to say that Madison has a much much more definitive and negative opinion of the Rorrster cuz she grew close to Amy and they still keep in touch, through they’ve been divorced for a while.

I’m not into doggin guys and I only give credence to those that have first hand experience with someone, and I prefer that it be more than a single post round autograph rejection, as I’ve seen guys that are worshipped on here and in the game say “no, not now.” It’s how ya say it.

Rory never learned how.

The only reason that he hasn’t gotten smacked right in his lil smug mouth is because, as I said earlier, he chooses his adversaries very carefully, lmao

He may be a dbag but he’s no dummy?

Stay well Bro & have a great Holiday?

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I loved his swing...

Don’t care about the other stuff...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Beer w Sabatini or plane ride w Ernie Els?

Beer with Sabbs, lolol

It is a hoot, especially if he’s had a few, lmao

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

So bored is WRX that a Rory f****** Sabbatini thread was started.

This is a new low - even for us.

Hahaha, my initial post in here was my first in weeks, so what’s that tell ya about me???????

Don’t worry though, trust me, I can go much much lower, lmao??

Stay well Bro & I hope that you and yours have a great Holiday Season?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP