2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What’s some of the shadiest things a course has done to you?

Shipwreck

I paid a decent price for a round at an upscale country club that went semi private. This course is long and hilly, I get there and pay to then be told that it's walking only today and no push carts allowed....

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as bad as some of these. But we called a course and they gave us a discount for working in the golf industry. So we get book at 10:10 tee time for $30. Well we get to the course and they guy says the the person working the night before “accidentally” over booked 10:10, but that we could tee off at 12:45 and pay $90. Ended up seeing the starter sheet, and there we were booked for 10:10 but not allowed to go out.

PXG 0811X 9*: Graphite Design AD BB 6X
PXG 0341 15*: Graphite Design AD BB 7X
Callaway GBB 18*: Graphite Design AD DI 9X
Tour issue 913HD 20* Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW: KBS Tour 120 S
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52* and Tour issue 56*/ 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

I've had so many shady situations with different courses when I've booked the tee times on Golf Now. From being told carts aren't included in the greens fee (even though it says the price was to ride on Golf Now) and being charged extra, to being charged multiple "hospitality" fees from the course. It makes me think these courses don't like people using Golf Now to get out and play for whatever reason, but I don't get why they would post the tee times on there in first place.

I loathe GOLFNOW and Hugh Jackman equally.

Joining a private club like we did 10 years ago (if you're able) is the only solution.

Golfnow is part of the problem. Not the solution.

Our membership is currently lobbying hard to get the GM to drop golfnow.

It’s a semi private , so loads of public play. But if you run the numbers for the rounds played via golf now it’s crazy how much is given away.

What’s really eye opening is when you track who’s playing via golf now. It’s regualrs. People who have played there for years. Now they just do it for less or free. It’s not new people. I strongly believe that running ads via Facebook and the website for discounted times and senior / and women’s days etc will bring in more play at higher $ than Golfnow. If you involve a middle man to do a job you can do in-house without putting on more staff .... you’re loosing money.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've had so many shady situations with different courses when I've booked the tee times on Golf Now. From being told carts aren't included in the greens fee (even though it says the price was to ride on Golf Now) and being charged extra, to being charged multiple "hospitality" fees from the course. It makes me think these courses don't like people using Golf Now to get out and play for whatever reason, but I don't get why they would post the tee times on there in first place.

I loathe GOLFNOW and Hugh Jackman equally.

Joining a private club like we did 10 years ago (if you're able) is the only solution.

Golfnow is part of the problem. Not the solution.

Our membership is currently lobbying hard to get the GM to drop golfnow.

It's a semi private , so loads of public play. But if you run the numbers for the rounds played via golf now it's crazy how much is given away.

What's really eye opening is when you track who's playing via golf now. It's regualrs. People who have played there for years. Now they just do it for less or free. It's not new people. I strongly believe that running ads via Facebook and the website for discounted times and senior / and women's days etc will bring in more play at higher $ than Golfnow. If you involve a middle man to do a job you can do in-house without putting on more staff .... you're loosing money.

I fully agree that GN is not the solution. Having an excellent understanding of their model, their contract(s) and their methods, I have successfully increased $$$ to the club, without breaking contract, and also while terminating contract.

A well run club by experienced management should never have to give away the $$$$ to these companies....no where, no how, no time.

8 guys playing a round on way to golf trip in northern Michigan. Call ahead to make a tee time 9 days out for afternoon. Quoted a price, buddy pays in full and we all PayPal him the $. We get to the course and the pro shop says ‘we’re really busy this week so the price you paid changed, everyone owes an additional $20.’, he points to a sign they have that says ‘Green fees are subject to change’.

We paid, but got the extra $20 back later after my buddy threw a fit at the guy he booked it through.

Really soured me on that course, but we now have the running ‘subject to change’ joke.

What course?

All these golfnow post made me remember a pretty embarrassing moment.

I decided one Easter I would just play golf since I don't live near any of my family and just don't like the masses. I booked a tee time through teeoff.com at a course I had been wanting to play about an hour and half away. I load up my clubs and make the drive. I get to the parking lot and it is packed full. Can hardly find a spot but finally find a spot in the way back. Get my clubs out and start walking towards what I am assuming is the pro shop. I'm near the range and peek over at it, but don't see anyone, which I thought was odd since it the parking lot was full. As I keep walking, I start to look at the course and realize I don't see anyone on the course. Awfully weird but who cares.

I get near the building and read a sign that has an arrow pointing to the pro shop, and one that points to a convention center. I walk the way it points to the pro shop and glance over up at said convention center. Looks like maybe they are having an Easter service or something, cool. I finally get to the pro shop and see no lights on inside. Door is locked. Look around again, no carts anywhere, no one to be found outside or on the course. Try to call the course. I can hear the phone ring, and obviously no one answers.

At this point I a bit frustrated having driven so far. I start walking back to my truck. As I get just pas where I can see the doors of the convention center, I see the doors swing open and now everyone from the Easter service is filing out into the parking lot, with me, clubs on my back, in the dead middle walking back to my truck. Was a bit embarrassed and I sure some people were puzzled to see me.

Called teeoff and demanded a refund and argued that they owed me for my time and money spent to get there. They said they needed to confirm with the pro shop that they were in fact closed. After the put me on hold they tell me that no one answered and they would try again later. I again explained myself with a bit more passion that they could call all day and no one would ever answer because no one is there. Finally a supervisor tried calling, got no answer and refunded my money. They were nice enough to give me a 50% off coupon for future use. Made good on that at an expensive course.

But I was determined to play golf. I had a couple options but decided to go with this course on the way home and not out of the way. Man, 2nd worse goat track I have ever been to. Nothing like trying to chip out of clover next to the green!

Pretty sure this was God's way of telling me I should have been in church.

This happened to my friend.

My buddy gets a new putter. He calls me to see if I want to go with him midweek because he wants to use it before our weekend group plays.. He wants to play this course an hr away and I wasn't into traveling that far during the week so he goes on his own. He calls the course and makes his tee time. He tells me he arrives at the course and while he is paying he is telling the person all about his new putter he just got and how he really likes the greens at the course. He tees off on one and when he gets down to the green they have a 5 gal bucket in the ground and the green is closed. He plays two and the same thing. Hole 3 is a par 3 that goes back to the clubhouse. He sees the bucket down by the green so he rides straight back to the clubhouse ,goes in and asks what is going on and the person then lets him know all the greens are closed. So my friend says why didn't you tell me this when I called to make the tee time or mention it when I checked in? The person says well you didn't ask. My friend doesn't carry credit cards and when he asked for a refund the person would only give him a raincheck. He didn't have enough money to pay for a round some where else so he had to come all the way back home. This didn't happen to me but I'm not a forgiving person and I won't go there because of that.

In general I hate the per person cart fee, so dumb

So if the cart fee is say $20, and you want/need to play as a solo, you'd feel better paying the full $20 by yourself?

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

So if the cart fee is say $20, and you want/need to play as a solo, you'd feel better paying the full $20 by yourself?

I know of only one course in my area that charges per cart. I went there only one time because of that. We were a group of 12 and only 11 shows up. I was the odd man out and I was charged for the whole cart. As we are heading to the tee the starter says hold up I have a single to pair you up with. The guy shows up,puts his clubs on the cart and hops in. The first thing I say to the guy is I hope they didn't charge you for a whole cart. The guy says no they told me I didn't have to pay because it was taken care of. I said great and told him what his amount was for the cart. He says I'll walk. It was a terrible hilly course to walk and he got no sympathy from me.

I know of only one course in my area that charges per cart. I went there only one time because of that. We were a group of 12 and only 11 shows up. I was the odd man out and I was charged for the whole cart. As we are heading to the tee the starter says hold up I have a single to pair you up with. The guy shows up,puts his clubs on the cart and hops in. The first thing I say to the guy is I hope they didn't charge you for a whole cart. The guy says no they told me I didn't have to pay because it was taken care of. I said great and told him what his amount was for the cart. He says I'll walk. It was a terrible hilly course to walk and he got no sympathy from me.

With all due respect, why create that awkward moment right when you meet the guy? It's the course's snafu, not the stranger's responsibility to pay you $10.

You could either take it up with the golf shop at the turn or after the round, or a few holes into the round tell the guy "by the way, not sure if you know, but they charge riders on a per-cart basis and before you arrived, I was on the hook for $20 because I didn't have a partner. If you want to toss me $10, that's cool, or maybe when we're done we can pop inside and square up." Or, at that point, ask the guy for a dog and a beer at the turn. I'd like to think you'd have been taken care of. But instead, you hit him up for cash before his seat is warm.

Played in a charity event and was later told the course didn't donate the $.

Lol. /Thread

No kidding. Hard to get more bootleg than that.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

With all due respect, why create that awkward moment right when you meet the guy? It's the course's snafu, not the stranger's responsibility to pay you $10.

You could either take it up with the golf shop at the turn or after the round, or a few holes into the round tell the guy "by the way, not sure if you know, but they charge riders on a per-cart basis and before you arrived, I was on the hook for $20 because I didn't have a partner. If you want to toss me $10, that's cool, or maybe when we're done we can pop inside and square up." Or, at that point, ask the guy for a dog and a beer at the turn. I'd like to think you'd have been taken care of. But instead, you hit him up for cash before his seat is warm.

Yes I could have done it different. I have always been an upfront and direct person. My main concern was to find out if the course had charged him $32 for a whole cart when he was actually sharing one. When he told me no they didn't charge him and he said they told him it was already taken care of I thought a normal reply at that point by me was to let him know how much his part of the cart fee was in case he didn't know. I think it would be an awkward moment no matter when you ask a stranger for money due you and just as awkward to say lets go into the clubhouse and get these cart fees settled up.I chose to get it out of the way upfront. We got along great while playing and had great conversastion so if I made him feel awkward it didn't last.

What's awkward is having someone let you ride on the cart and then halfway through the round say, by the way, I had to pay for the full cart, so I'm going to need you to pay for your half now.

What's awkward is having someone let you ride on the cart and then halfway through the round say, by the way, I had to pay for the full cart, so I'm going to need you to pay for your half now.

It can be awkward at the beginning, middle or the end. It's unfortunate that a course would put players in positions like that.

This is small

I am a Clublink member up here and also thru that have a Clubcorp card

Go to a course in NW Florida last year, called first and yes they are open but carts can't go out .. heavy rains the night before

No worries, I head over, looking forward to a walk. Place was empty. ProShop guy insists on charging me the $20 cart fee for reciprocal play because it is mandatory. I said that I get it but I am walking and carts can't even go out. Oh well.

Played in approx 2hrs .. speed walking for the old fat guy .... great fun

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I'm also a clubcorp member. I hate their play away "benefits". You get 2 free greens fees a month. So I've done this several times and this is what happens almost every time: me: I've got a tee time at 12 and I want to walk. Pro shop guy: okay that will be $20. Me: but I've got free greens fees. Pro shop guy: yes sir, but this isn't your home club so guests are required to pay the $20 per person fee whether they ride or walk. Me (to myself): so the greens fee is actually $20. These are not at the premier cluncorp courses, but just normal clubcorp courses that are $20 on golfnow sometimes anyway.

I'm also a clubcorp member. I hate their play away "benefits". You get 2 free greens fees a month. So I've done this several times and this is what happens almost every time: me: I've got a tee time at 12 and I want to walk. Pro shop guy: okay that will be $20. Me: but I've got free greens fees. Pro shop guy: yes sir, but this isn't your home club so guests are required to pay the $20 per person fee whether they ride or walk. Me (to myself): so the greens fee is actually $20. These are not at the premier cluncorp courses, but just normal clubcorp courses that are $20 on golfnow sometimes anyway.

I played PGA National and called ahead and asked if I pay for a caddie, do I still have to pay for the cart fee? The caddie fee was double that of the cart fee so they said that would be fine. Got there and they tried to charge me for both. Luckily I explained to them I had called ahead, and luckily they didn't charge me for both.

Moved the pin location knowing good damn and well my ball was gonna land on yesterday’s hole.

Those bastards!!! They must rotate around the country, because I’m pretty sure they’ve been to my course too.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

While back won merchandise credit in pro shop. Asked the "the pro" to order me ICONS, 2 weeks go by and shoe are "still on back order". Tell him to cancel and order a Vokey 56 wedge. Allegedly they sent 60 degree so I said I'll take it. No I already sent it back. Never did receive wedge or any compensation.

Fast forward, I was asked to play in fund raising scramble. Pay my money and literally 30 seconds later find out its for the "the pro"that stiffed me years ago. Boiled my blood especially watching that person drink and smoke when the fundraiser was for their health.