Rick Shiels - Wilson Staff Cortex Review

Current pulse...

49 comments, 3,599 views and so far only one individual followed the directions despite everyone else going CrAzY �� about Rick Shiels....OH, and a few “clickbaits”!!!

Maybe we should start another thread titled “What’s Your Thoughts on Rick Shiels” just to see how far off tangent we can get and how many people we can upset???

Maybe we should have a Wilson Shootout...Triton vs. Cortex...The Ultimate Loser...

I wonder who started this thread?

Keeping track of stats for a thread you start and then touting them is, well I can't decide between weird or borderline creepy.

Edit: creepy probably not, I'll just stick with a little weird, but have fun watching the clicks

I don't hold Shiels' success against him at all. I'll admit I watch him a lot less than I used to, just not as much going on with his content last few months that is for me, but still keep tabs - seems like a good guy, has a great family, more power to him.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think it’s hilarious how much attention this club has been getting. If the M series drivers and the Flash were to be released right now, this thread would be on the bottom of the list. I wouldn’t even worry about testing this club until the other OEM’s release theirs in a couple of months, then go ahead and test them all against each other. For now, no sense in dropping $500 on a club that is "just as good"

AND when the other IEMs release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll Hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.

You mean the OEM's that have demo heads available? With multiple shaft options to dial in? The same OEM's that have a track record of proven performance in the driver space?

Why is it so hard to fathom that Wilson has a huge perception issue to overcome?

It’s not hard to fathom they have a perception to overcome. Never said a word about that. All I’ll say is this, bar none their products are as good as anything out. Like it or not. They don’t promise blind consumers 17 yards one year and then say, oh, these irons are another 10 yards per club longer the next. MAYBE you will get the point. Not trying by no means to start a pudding match.It’s well known that their marketing sucks. Yet they remain on a 2 year cycle unlike most with new products. Sure, they need more presence with their demo stuff and fitting carts. If people would , if available, just try their products maybe the light would be shed a little more. Enjoy the rest of your day.

I don't think the consumer owes it to Wilson to try their stuff. Wilson has to convince them to do so. But, I get that they are trying to keep any potential losses to a minimum. I guess that's where my issue is with their price point. They want top dollar for their product, but aren't willing to offer the same level of commitment to their product that other OEM's do.

But, neither here nor there. I am still eagerly awaiting reviews. It will have a lot better chance with some validation. Hopefully it gets some sort of tour presence too.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

He bags Wilson irons so I'm guessing there's some money changing hands with Wilson for some gentle reviews. As well as him being ON the informercial/TV show and collecting a nice check for that as well. He may very well love it, but he's got a lot of monatary incentive to as well.

Without any proof, that's bordering on slander.

The V6 irons are astounding..end of.

I just think it’s hilarious how much attention this club has been getting. If the M series drivers and the Flash were to be released right now, this thread would be on the bottom of the list. I wouldn’t even worry about testing this club until the other OEM’s release theirs in a couple of months, then go ahead and test them all against each other. For now, no sense in dropping $500 on a club that is "just as good"

AND when the other IEMs release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll Hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.

You mean the OEM's that have demo heads available? With multiple shaft options to dial in? The same OEM's that have a track record of proven performance in the driver space?

Why is it so hard to fathom that Wilson has a huge perception issue to overcome?

It’s not hard to fathom they have a perception to overcome. Never said a word about that. All I’ll say is this, bar none their products are as good as anything out. Like it or not. They don’t promise blind consumers 17 yards one year and then say, oh, these irons are another 10 yards per club longer the next. MAYBE you will get the point. Not trying by no means to start a pudding match.It’s well known that their marketing sucks. Yet they remain on a 2 year cycle unlike most with new products. Sure, they need more presence with their demo stuff and fitting carts. If people would , if available, just try their products maybe the light would be shed a little more. Enjoy the rest of your day.

I don't think the consumer owes it to Wilson to try their stuff. Wilson has to convince them to do so. But, I get that they are trying to keep any potential losses to a minimum. I guess that's where my issue is with their price point. They want top dollar for their product, but aren't willing to offer the same level of commitment to their product that other OEM's do.

But, neither here nor there. I am still eagerly awaiting reviews. It will have a lot better chance with some validation. Hopefully it gets some sort of tour presence too.

Agreed that they need put some effort into their presence more in the States. I’d like to see it get your presence as well. Woodland not getting a lot of coverage this week. He’s supposedly bagging one.

He bags Wilson irons so I'm guessing there's some money changing hands with Wilson for some gentle reviews. As well as him being ON the informercial/TV show and collecting a nice check for that as well. He may very well love it, but he's got a lot of monatary incentive to as well.

Good luck with that!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I’m not saying W/S makes bad products lol it’s hilarious how people jump straight to defending them when no shots were fired at all....its almost like they’re the ones trying to reassure and convince themselves.

With that being said, W/S forgings are absolutely excellent. The C300 Forged irons are phenomenal as well as the V6, it’s their woods that need serious help, sorry but this cortex isn’t doing it.

I only watch rick for seeing how the forgiveness of clubs are. He’s spot on with that.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Actually libel. But it's not.

I’m surprised there are no fitting carts for this release but on be other not so much. Imo they were betting on the show and buzz to send people to stores to just buy off the shelf and if the 8000 unit rumor is true they didn’t want to waste heads and shafts that could be sold. Imo it doesn’t help their brand perception when consumers go to get fit and there’s nothing available to try and has to be taped up

Sorry, you are correct as it's a written word, then libel is correct.

I said bordering on slander (libel) and that still stands. Not enough perhaps for court action but enough for Shiels to ask for an apology. It's a statement that certainly is untrue and shouldn't be said or written without actual evidentiary support.

I said bordering on slander (libel) and that still stands. Not enough perhaps for court action but enough for Shiels to ask for an apology. It's a statement that certainly is untrue and shouldn't be said or written without actual evidentiary support.

WTH is the deal here? Rick Shiels should come on here and demand an apology because a member said he's "guessing" he's financially motivated in his review? It is an online forum. Last I checked, people are free to discuss their opinions as they see fit. He didn't say that he knows that he's getting paid for a good review.

Am I taking crazy pills or are some people getting really defensive over any possible negative comment?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

WTH is the deal here? Rick Shiels should come on here and demand an apology because a member said he's "guessing" he's financially motivated in his review? It is an online forum. Last I checked, people are free to discuss their opinions as they see fit. He didn't say that he knows that he's getting paid for a good review.

Am I taking crazy pills or are some people getting really defensive over any possible negative comment?

There’s defintely some that don’t like the negative comments about the brand and driver. Wondering if Wilson priced to high or saying they are a Walmart brand is considered hate

P.S. what else is there to talk about? It's called "conversation" for a reason

The "conversation" was already going in the other thread. No need for this to even exist.

Click -baited you into posting in a thread you see no need to even exist. Nice job OP !

I would be curious to hit the darn thing. It has a lot of publicity,and I would like to try it just to see what its all about.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

P.S. what else is there to talk about? It's called "conversation" for a reason

The "conversation" was already going in the other thread. No need for this to even exist.

Click -baited you into posting in a thread you see no need to even exist. Nice job OP !

I would be curious to hit the darn thing. It has a lot of publicity,and I would like to try it just to see what its all about.

Thanks!!!! However, I really thought it would be fun to see all the quotes and expressions, more so to see what individuals remember or perceive. I also think that some of the online review guys are all the same and repetitive with their content and reviews.

Rick Shiels would be “stupid” if he didn’t and wasn’t being compensated!!! It’s not like he is doing any of this for charity ... if he can build his “brand” and increase his compensation, good for him. Free enterprise...consumers are entitled to have an opinion.

With that said, another famous Rick quote...

“I THINK THIS DRIVER LOOKS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING”

A statement that is certainly untrue ???

And how on earth would YOU know that ?

Rick Shiels is a "personality"; a public figure. Minor of course in the scheme of things but unless I'm mistaken it takes a hell of a lot more than saying the guy's getting paid for his opinion to rise to the level of slander/libel.

Have you ever watched Stephen Colbert ? Or heard Howard Stern ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I’m not attacking anyone, I just haven’t seen a decent video come from Rick since the Carnoustie Par 10 Challenge. Maybe I’m being a little harsh on the guy, I mean honestly I’ve been watching him since pretty much day 1. I’ll lay off the guy I understand he’s just trying to feed his family. I just hate what he’s become, he’s leaving behind what made him successful and jumping on the marketing bandwagon.

Every time a new driver comes out, there are a group of haters that post their negativity. It is not limited to the Cortex. If you think so then you have not been around here long enough or do not care to do any research. Twistface had some similar reactions, Titleist always gets beat up for a high price point for lagging behind in the tech department, Ping has gotten ripped for an ugly crown design... to say that the "big boys" are immune to the criticism is not even close to being accurate. I don't know why you have an axe to grind regarding the Cortex but lighten up OP. Their last DvD product was ugly, loud, and non conforming... forgive most of us for being skeptical about the new release from a company that asks random designers from the general public for help in designing a flagship product.

With that said, it looks like a decent driver, I would love to try it out. But I think the price tag has a lot of people turning cheek when they (Wilson Staff) haven't provided any sort of proof in the past that they belong in that price range.

You have your opinion, others have theirs. That's how it works.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Every time a new driver comes out, there are a group of haters that post their negativity. It is not limited to the Cortex. If you think so then you have not been around here long enough or do not care to do any research. Twistface had some similar reactions, Titleist always gets beat up for a high price point for lagging behind in the tech department, Ping has gotten ripped for an ugly crown design... to say that the "big boys" are immune to the criticism is not even close to being accurate. I don't know why you have an axe to grind regarding the Cortex but lighten up OP. Their last DvD product was ugly, loud, and non conforming... forgive most of us for being skeptical about the new release from a company that asks random designers from the general public for help in designing a flagship product.

With that said, it looks like a decent driver, I would love to try it out. But I think the price tag has a lot of people turning cheek when they (Wilson Staff) haven't provided any sort of proof in the past that they belong in that price range.

Great post!

Great post!

Why are you telling me to “lighten up OP”? I was...and am...trying to have fun and everyone else has taken this 180* from the intent which was to try and guess what Rick Shiels review would “say” and what the content may be like. Certainly it is going to be split 50/50 given his role on the show as well as his “day job”. His review of the Srixon Z785 made me want to go out and try it (as I have stated elsewhere) and the entire “marketing concept” by Wilson is new and unique.

We are all talking about it, but how successful is it as it relates to product sales and converting consumers? My $0.02 is that Wilson has taken a “social media” approach to improving their brand identity in the golf community, because they do not have the brand recognition, tour pros and other channels to be competitive with other companies who may be doing it better. What percentage of sales is golf within the Wilson brand?They don’t have a Tiger Woods, their name doesn’t say Callaway and they are not known for golf equipment...tennis racquets and baseball gloves, YES, ...

Go back and look at the post and see how many guys/gals have actually replied with a quote or answered the questions posted?

Great post!

Why are you telling me to “lighten up OP”? I was...and am...trying to have fun and everyone else has taken this 180* from the intent which was to try and guess what Rick Shiels review would “say” and what the content may be like. Certainly it is going to be split 50/50 given his role on the show as well as his “day job”. His review of the Srixon Z785 made me want to go out and try it (as I have stated elsewhere) and the entire “marketing concept” by Wilson is new and unique.

We are all talking about it, but how successful is it as it relates to product sales and converting consumers? My $0.02 is that Wilson has taken a “social media” approach to improving their brand identity in the golf community, because they do not have the brand recognition, tour pros and other channels to be competitive with other companies who may be doing it better. What percentage of sales is golf within the Wilson brand?They don’t have a Tiger Woods, their name doesn’t say Callaway and they are not known for golf equipment...tennis racquets and baseball gloves, YES, ...

Go back and look at the post and see how many guys/gals have actually replied with a quote or answered the questions posted?

Why? You'll be giving us another update on posts/looks/likes any time now, lol.

Just posted as if he'd already reviewed to get the clicks you are enjoying, and yes, take and invite some shots at the guy, and what the heck, if you enjoy that have at it I guess.

Well Newton's review reiterates my thought that Wilson priced this driver incredibly too high. He basically hit it the same as he does all drivers dave for a bit of excess spin. Didn't watch the review where he toyed with adjustability.

Imagine if reviews came out saying this driver was as good as anything g out there and this driver, new, was $300 or even $350 retail...more people would buy it. Wilson seemed to forget that to steal significant market share it needed to be a bit of a loss leader...

Unless they simply had a target number of units to try to sell and that would be it. Basically trying to raise awareness of capability for their next driver. Idk what their strategy is here..

Rick Shiels quotes:

“Smash that like button”

“Don’t forget to smash that like button”

“Remember to smash that like button”

I refuse to subscribe to his channel for that reason alone. If he asked me to press the subscribe button, I'd think about it.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS