It's a Christmas Miracle

joey2aces

I haven't been on much lately. So, to my old buddies, hello... and to the new peeps... wazzzup.

At first glance of my feedback you might say,"Geez, own a golf store much?"

WHOA, his likes surpass his post, he must have some good input... no, I really am mostly sarcastic and like to chide the Tiger fans :fishing1: :diablo: :rofl: :beach:

But, no. Mostly I have been away because I wanted to get away from the ho' game. I was stuck at a paltry 8 and I was determined to buy myself a 5 or 6.

The winter typically is what does me in. Here in Syracuse it gets cold... I usually make it past December with hopes of not buying anything then January hits and we plan our guys weekend at Turning Stone for February and I think to myself.,... "Self, you need to break up the 3 days of gambling, find some irons or a driver to hit at the dome! Sure, it will only be for 30 minutes but pretend it will make difference." So I buy a set and another and another and walk into the dome at Turning Stone with 3 sets of irons, 3 drivers, 6 shafts and a bottle of advil. Most of the time swinging hard thinking how I am going to make that $1500 back that I lost in the first 2 hours.

But not in 2018. No sirs, no ma'ams. This guy played with 1 iron set.... dudes, fur realz (just in case some millennials are reading this)

I was lucky enough to be selected to go on the WRX trip to the Pro V1 experience and there I struck up some nice conversation with Eric Soderstrom with Acushnet. He said TPI in Cali is a must.

In April I went out to California for the ultimate dudes golf trip with about 50 of my Ohana and had some time so I went to see TPI. There Lucas Bro (2nd coolest last name ever behind mine) sat with me for what was supposed to be an hour that was ultimately 1.5-1.75 hours. Compare, contrast, critique.

He was great and honest. He didn't steer me,, we simply hit and set aside or hit and eliminate.

The 718 T-MB's were in a class of their own. Ridic (see, keeping them millennials interested). Compared to my Srixon 765's with same shaft (modus 130s) the dispersion, apex, length etc were beyond better. I wanted to buy a set there but my Bro wouldn't let me.

So I wasn't even out of the parking lot when my search began and I thought, here we go again. The previous year on this trip I literally bought a set of irons and had them delivered to California while I was on the trip!! Cray cray. <----- ;)

This is when someone would say, "Well, to make a long story short..." but I know that has passed.

anyway, I got home to my newly minted irons... had my boy Freddy shaft them up with some modus 130s and............. wait for it......... played with them all year. ... and here's the capper. I went from a 7 to a 10 in the first 45 days. J2A not happy. But I kept in contact with Lucas and he was nice enough to respond to my emails. Then something happened. I grew with my irons. I went back down to... to a 6 and made it to the semi-finals of our clubs match play. Full disclosure it was handicapped but ya still gotta make the putts.

My year low was a 73 and I had 3 birdies one night in my 9 hole league. Coupled with the fact that my wife and I along with another couple won a tournament where the pit us against teams of all men because only 2 'mixed' teams signed up so they couldn't have a mixed division this year. "Babe, you won a skin!!!" "What the f@#$ is a skin?? Do I still get a hotdog???" :golfer: :wub:

the coup de gras is I played all year with these irons and here we are in November... almost December of 2018 and I have no plans of them leaving my bag. It's a great feeling. Even went back to my old Scratch DW grinds which sadly need to be retired after 4 years BUT, I will be contacting Patrick for 2 new wedges. This is out of necessity rather than head gaming. And our guys trip is already planned for Feb at Turning Stone and I don't think I will be worried about what I am bringing.... except maybe between the Pappy 15 or VWFRR????

Also, I played with the same driver all year, my trusty G400 Max. Now believe it or not this thing changed my game. I went from hitting a fade to a slice to hitting an amazing draw on command, but I digress (sorry young guys, that means to stop) :scenic:

So, it can happen. People can change. It's a miracle but I finally proved to myself that my flipping and ho'ing was hurting me... not helping. Plus, I am now down 30 pounds so lock up your daughters and lock up your wives.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas or Hanukkah or whichever holiday you celebrate. If you don't then just have a great winter (see, inclusive)

J2A

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff J2A. Similar for me this year...except for the tournament results. Settled on my irons and putter and stuck with them all year. Only new purchase was an SM7 D grind as my LW was beat up and I needed something with new grooves. No plans to buy anything for the foreseeable future.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Also, I played with the same driver all year, my trusty G400 Max. Now believe it or not this thing changed my game. I went from hitting a fade to a slice to hitting an amazing draw on command, but I digress (sorry young guys, that means to stop) :scenic:

Digress - get off subject temporarily

Sorry, couldn't let it go if you were actually giving a definition.

Other than that I have had the same irons for about 30 years, driver is used R7, 3W 910F. I'm sure new ones would not fix my swing so I don't bother.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

" the coup de gras is I played all year with these irons and here we are in November... almost December of 2018 and I have no plans of them leaving my bag." ...

uh huh , I know you. We will revisit this in 2020. :taunt: good to have ya back

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

not gonna lie... I almost bought some Miura MC-501's but then realized I have no business playing them

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Hilarious story J2A!

I don’t have the ho game that 98% of WRXers have, but I caught it pretty bad a few years ago. I was obsessed with blades and ended up with 3 sets of irons over a two year period. Weak sauce in the WRX ho game, I know, but stupid nonetheless. Add to it that I played with some rental clubs in Hawaii that year and decided that I had to buy the driver that I used that day. Oddly mine never performed for me the way the rental did. And then add to it that I decided that my wedge grooves were no longer sharp enough, and that I needed a blade putter to go along with my blade irons (and then I needed two more blade putters)...you get the picture.

But about two years ago I decided that I have enough golf clubs. I have at least 3 full sets. One for playing, one for travel, and one to remind the gamers that they had better behave (they’ve been benched a few times). I haven’t bought a single golf club in over two years. It can be done. Good on ya mate!

This new Epic Flash driver is starting to appear in my dreams though...

J2 did you put new clubs in the bag for 2019? Those clubs only worked because they were 7-18's. You need something that's 19 now.

haha.... the DEVIL!

I looked at the Miura MC-501's and also put up an offer on ebay for PXG Gen2's. If they weren't .5" short I would have bought them at his counter... $1175. The old ho in me said "You can't lose money at this price." But I held my ground. He ended up selling them for $1125, my original offer was 1100. So whoever got them, you're welcome.

Also, I took the clubs out a few weeks ago when it was 60* in December here in NY and flushed everything. Now, of course, in my head I am a blade player....

To note, I am in the works with Patrick Boyd for some new wedges only because my Scratch wedges are beat.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

J2 did you put new clubs in the bag for 2019? Those clubs only worked because they were 7-18's. You need something that's 19 now.

haha.... the DEVIL!

I looked at the Miura MC-501's and also put up an offer on ebay for PXG Gen2's. If they weren't .5" short I would have bought them at his counter... $1175. The old ho in me said "You can't lose money at this price." But I held my ground. He ended up selling them for $1125, my original offer was 1100. So whoever got them, you're welcome.

Also, I took the clubs out a few weeks ago when it was 60* in December here in NY and flushed everything. Now, of course, in my head I am a blade player....

To note, I am in the works with Patrick Boyd for some new wedges only because my Scratch wedges are beat.

You Sir are the embodiment of a WRX'er!