Your Golf Lesson...

marker10

When I take my daughter to her golf lesson, the coach will usually ask me..”So what do you want to work on today?”. We’ve been seeing this coach for a while. I always thought a coach should have a structured plan on what a child needs to work on in order to improve and take their game to the next level instead of asking me.

So my question is when you take your child to a lesson, does the coach already have a golf lesson planned out based on what your child needs to work on or do you have to tell the coach what you want him/her to work on with your child?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps he is just being deferrent to your wishes...after all many parents probably show up and say things like "she really needs to improve her chipping...". If you like the teaching style and rapport of this particular pro why not say something like:

"I am not sure how best to help my child progress with their game. Do you have a plan for the next several months that you think would be best? I would assume we go with what you think is the most important things"

If he doesn't grab the bull by the horns after that I would just think he may be approaching the lesson tee a but lazily and haphazardly and look elsewhere.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

My son is 14, started playing 2 years ago. He has been to 3 different instructors. The current one he is with watched him for about 5 minutes and then began to implement drills and set a plan after the first lesson. This is very important. The current teacher knows what’s next and has a long term goal / plan in mind. My son went from shooting 115 in January of 2018 to making varsity this fall as a freshman and shooting par and winning a tournament. (6600 yds). His current guy also has trackman and sends videos after each lesson. It is my opinion that you should look for someone like this. Cost is $100 per lesson

Great question and good point as to why (one reason anyway)we have not started regular lessons yet for my son. I am inclined to think that the teacher should be prepared with a high level plan to follow, but certainly need to know how things have been going lately to see what needs specific attention. We have taken a few sporadic lessons but I’ve quickly realized that without consistently visiting it’s hard for the coach to really know a players swing tendencies from one visit- player could be off that day , nervous, whatever. I don’t know the proper frequency but seems that they would have to spend time with the player at regular intervals on the lesson tee as well as some time out on the course to really understand and implement a high level plan for the player.

My son is 14, started playing 2 years ago. He has been to 3 different instructors. The current one he is with watched him for about 5 minutes and then began to implement drills and set a plan after the first lesson. This is very important. The current teacher knows what’s next and has a long term goal / plan in mind. My son went from shooting 115 in January of 2018 to making varsity this fall as a freshman and shooting par and winning a tournament. (6600 yds). His current guy also has trackman and sends videos after each lesson. It is my opinion that you should look for someone like this. Cost is $100 per lesson

Maybe I just need to keep looking for the right coach. We’ve been through a few ourselves and they all ask me at the beginning of the lesson..”what do you want to work on today”. I started thinking this is the norm but that doesn’t seem right. Sounds like your coach is the type of coach I’m looking for so I know they are out there..I just have to find him/her.

Maybe I just need to keep looking for the right coach. We’ve been through a few ourselves and they all ask me at the beginning of the lesson..”what do you want to work on today”. I started thinking this is the norm but that doesn’t seem right. Sounds like your coach is the type of coach I’m looking for so I know they are out there..I just have to find him/her.

We were right where you are. I liked 2 of the teachers but, if I have to tell them what to teach my son, then what’s the point ? They know a lot more than me about developing a player , or at least they should. Ask some of your local pros and/or find a few higher level junior golfers in your area and talk to them and see who teaches them. That’s how we found our guy. And let me tell you it’s been 1000% better for my son. He has clear drills and instructions to follow between lessons. It makes him want to practice more. He understands what they’re working toward. The teacher is building his swing and his game.

You should speak to local college and high school coaches and ask if there are any local pros who specializes in developing young players. They should have the scoop on who focuses on this and who is just supplementing their income with occasional lessons.

WITB:

One thing I recognized in junior golf is the parent is the ultimate coach. What I mean by that is you and if your kid is old enough the two of you have to figure out what you need to work on and then go out get the information with the resources you have to get the informantion or help you need. You can’t rely on anyone else to do it for you.

I agree that most us start out hire a pga instructor and hope that they will guide us. In some cases that may be enough but I have almost always found out either they don’t know or may even not care after a few lessons. It also more likey they are not around enough to really see what is going on to help with advice on what will ultimately lower the scores.

As a parent if a resource is not getting results and you are paying good money it is time to do something else.

You should speak to local college and high school coaches and ask if there are any local pros who specializes in developing young players. They should have the scoop on who focuses on this and who is just supplementing their income with occasional lessons.

Why would anyone aska high school coach? Most of the time they are a paid babysitter.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

You get to see your kid play for hours every week while a coach sees them for maybe an hour every other week. Of course they're going to ask you what you need to work on. If you worked on wedge shots last week and it hasn't gotten any better should you move on to hitting high draw three woods because that's his plan? Probably not. All he's saying by asking what you're working on today is where do you need help and how can we get you better.

I ask my son to think about what he wants to work on with coach while we are on our way to the lesson. We always get there early to warm up before the lesson starts (no reason to waste lesson time warming up) and then when we get there coach asks what we are doing today. We get that dialed in for about 20 minutes and then the coach takes the lesson where he wants it to go.

This.

Why would anyone aska high school coach? Most of the time they are a paid babysitter.

Well because although the best juniors are playing AJGA and other such things, they are also playing high school golf... The coach would likely know who the local pro is that teaches all of the best players that have come through his school.

I thought that was clear from my original post, but I guess not.

WITB:

You get to see your kid play for hours every week while a coach sees them for maybe an hour every other week. Of course they're going to ask you what you need to work on. If you worked on wedge shots last week and it hasn't gotten any better should you move on to hitting high draw three woods because that's his plan? Probably not. All he's saying by asking what you're working on today is where do you need help and how can we get you better.

I ask my son to think about what he wants to work on with coach while we are on our way to the lesson. We always get there early to warm up before the lesson starts (no reason to waste lesson time warming up) and then when we get there coach asks what we are doing today. We get that dialed in for about 20 minutes and then the coach takes the lesson where he wants it to go.

Good point leezer. I think putting more responsibility and making her take ownership of her game is a great idea...like what you do with your son. She’s more of an introvert so I guess I always took control of what happened at her lessons. She’s very independent when it comes to her golf game and always played much better when she did everything by herself. So I think it’s time now that she takes ownership of her lessons as well. Wow...think your comment flipped that light switch on in my brain.

Good point leezer. I think putting more responsibility and making her take ownership of her game is a great idea...like what you do with your son. She’s more of an introvert so I guess I always took control of what happened at her lessons. She’s very independent when it comes to her golf game and always played much better when she did everything by herself. So I think it’s time now that she takes ownership of her lessons as well. Wow...think your comment flipped that light switch on in my brain.

This highly dependent on the age. Any kid under 12 is going to need help in deciding what to learn and will need a lot parent involvement. Even older kids you need to be careful leaving them alone. I seen many older kids goofing off with pro’s when there just dropped off. Granted both the pro and kids probably have other issues and that another topic. The sad part is some these kids had lots of talent but the urge to goof off is high for some.

Marker,

Does you daughter’s coach specialize in junior coaching? I ask because the head of instruction at our club, who is a very good instructor, asks me that same question every time I book a lesson. I only get like one lesson a year. We tried her with my (then) 8-year old daughter, and I never knew what they were going to work on. I found myself always having to circle back with her at the end of the lesson to determine what we needed to practice in between lessons.

I asked around, found a instructor at a nearby club with TPI and USKG certifications, and she had a lesson with him. Was impressed, and when I asked to book a lesson with him regularly, he said he doesn’t work on an on-call basis with juniors. You buy a package. Realistically, at that age, it worsk for her.

Point is, your instructor may be accustomed to working with adults, who tend to book lessons with unique goals in mind, as opposed to juniors, who need a complete, long-term lesson plan payed out.

Well because although the best juniors are playing AJGA and other such things, they are also playing high school golf... The coach would likely know who the local pro is that teaches all of the best players that have come through his school.

I m always shocked by the high regard people think about high school golf.

I love the response I heard about high school golf once from a pga pro who teaches kids said this when asked

“ a high school coach is just some dude who play’s golf on The weekend and found a way to play for free during the week”

It pretty much sums up the average high school team head coach at your local school. Elite private schools another matter.

I love the response I heard about high school golf once from a pga pro who teaches kids said this when asked

“ a high school coach is just some dude who play’s golf on The weekend and found a way to play for free during the week”

It pretty much sums up the average high school team head coach at your local school. Elite private schools another matter.

Where am I expressing any regard?

My point is just what it is, they likely know who is coaching whomever are their star players. It is worth a question.

WITB:

My point is just what it is, they likely know who is coaching whomever are their star players. It is worth a question.

Honestly, they usually don’t unless they are a golf professional.

" a high school coach is just some dude who play's golf on The weekend and found a way to play for free during the week"

Not everybody can comprehend what they are reading and others make huge assumptions that what they experience is the same everywhere else.

Not everybody can comprehend what they are reading and others make huge assumptions that what they experience is the same everywhere else.

Assumptions based on what? High School golf is generally speaking for kids who are just starting out in golf. I am also talking about public high school golf not elite private schools that have coaches like Claude Harmon in them which is what I believe the case is with one school. That is not the norm.

If you want find a coach that teaches juniors play tournaments keep you eyes out for kids that are winning and then find out who coaches them. With the internet it not really hard to find out if the parents don't mention it to you.

We all been in the same situation as Marker and the answer is find a coach and at the same time hopefully you can be the extra eye that can see things that costs strokes so you can work on fixing it. If that is done scores will drop. I am sorry but sometimes people read into things too much. Also on GolfWRX things tend to bounce off peoples heads a lot. It's why people keep thinking High School coaches actually have advice for someone who wants to improve their score.

Assumptions based on what? High School golf is generally speaking for kids who are just starting out in golf. I am also talking about public high school golf not elite private schools that have coaches like Claude Harmon in them which is what I believe the case is with one school. That is not the norm.

If you want find a coach that teaches juniors play tournaments keep you eyes out for kids that are winning and then find out who coaches them. With the internet it not really hard to find out if the parents don't mention it to you.

We all been in the same situation as Marker and the answer is find a coach and at the same time hopefully you can be the extra eye that can see things that costs strokes so you can work on fixing it. If that is done scores will drop. I am sorry but sometimes people read into things too much. Also on GolfWRX things tend to bounce off peoples heads a lot. It's why people keep thinking High School coaches actually have advice for someone who wants to improve their score.

Claude Harmon is not an official coach at The Pine School, but pretty sure he helps on occasion. The head coach there is one of the best Junior Golf Coaches in the Country and works at the Floridian with Claude.

Out of the 14 high schools in our area only 3 schools have kids that play AJGA. The Pine School is one of those schools and they have a couple of girl's and guys. The other two schools has one at each school. It is the norm for high schools to have 0 kids playing competitively outside of high school competitions. They pick the clubs up at the beginning of the high school season and put them down at the end.

The bolded is a perfect example. That may be true where you are, but that could not be further from the truth where I live. So you make this statement as if it is fact, which is a clear assumption that is not at all true or accurate.

Assumptions based on what? High School golf is generally speaking for kids who are just starting out in golf.

This is not true. They may not be kids that play year round, but it isn't kids just starting out. We have an elite academic Private School in our community. They get smoked by the Public School in our community and the Public school plays the "B" team against them. None of the kids are beginners, they just aren't very good.

The bolded is a perfect example. That may be true where you are, but that could not be further from the truth where I live. So you make this statement as if it is fact, which is a clear assumption that is not at all true or accurate.

From what I been told and seen from every person including going to local seminars about college recruiting is High School golf scores is irrelevant for scores when they recruit.

When I say beginners I am being nice I didn't mean that means all the kids just started playing but a lot them might as well have just started because they never put the hours into it. To me they just never progressed and some them were late starters or simply can't play year round for what ever reason.

From what I been told and seen from every person including going to local seminars about college recruiting is High School golf scores is irrelevant for scores when they recruit.

When I say beginners I am being nice I didn't mean that means all the kids just started playing but a lot them might as well have just started because they never put the hours into it. To me they just never progressed and some them were late starters or simply can't play year round for what ever reason.

That is completely different than what you said.

You are correct. They could care less about the scores. That doesn't mean they shouldn't play. At the FHSAA tournament there are more college coaches there than any other tournament the rest of the year. Did you hear what I said? There are more coaches there than any AJGA, FJT, SFPGA event. They will talk to high school coaches to see if they work well with others. Golf in high school and College are team sports. Do you need to play high school golf to play in college? No you don't. Is it something that is really fun for the kids? Yes it is. Is golf supposed to fun? Yes it is. High school sports provide an amazing experience for kids whether the program is good or bad. Nothing like trying to win a high school state championship with your friends at school. I have been to and have experienced a lot of cool things in Golf. Here is how I rank my Experiences with my daughter.

1. USGA Girl's Junior

2. High School State Championship 4 years in a row. (And these don't even count towards JGS rankings.) It is fun because everyone in the community and at school is talking about it.

3. AJGA Tournaments

4. FJT Tournaments

5. SFPGA Tournaments

6. Hurricane Junior Tournaments

You are correct. They could care less about the scores. That doesn't mean they shouldn't play. At the FHSAA tournament there are more college coaches there than any other tournament the rest of the year. Did you hear what I said? There are more coaches there than any AJGA, FJT, SFPGA event. They will talk to high school coaches to see if they work well with others. Golf in high school and College are team sports. Do you need to play high school golf to play in college? No you don't. Is it something that is really fun for the kids? Yes it is. Is golf supposed to fun? Yes it is. High school sports provide an amazing experience for kids whether the program is good or bad. Nothing like trying to win a high school state championship with your friends at school. I have been to and have experienced a lot of cool things in Golf. Here is how I rank my Experiences with my daughter.

1. USGA Girl's Junior

2. High School State Championship 4 years in a row. (And these don't even count towards JGS rankings.) It is fun because everyone in the community and at school is talking about it.

3. AJGA Tournaments

4. FJT Tournaments

5. SFPGA Tournaments

6. Hurricane Junior Tournaments

I am agreement with you the choice on choosing to play or not to play I have heard pro's and cons and lot that depends on the school you're attending and if the friends are actually willing to play golf. That is another topic our local school practices on our course and they had zero chance of advancing.

I am agreement with you the choice on choosing to play or not to play I have heard pro's and cons and lot that depends on the school you're attending and if the friends are actually willing to play golf. That is another topic our local school practices on our course and they had zero chance of advancing.

Your kid will still have a chance to advance as an individual. Honestly, girl's high school golf is a joke because the golf played is terrible unless you are playing 1 and sometimes 2 on the team. There is no other way to put it. However, it is competition and it is free. If the coach is half way decent you will at least have structured practices. If not, you still have things you can work at on your own. We always looked at high school season as practice because nothing counts and there is nothing wrong with nothing counting. You get to play different course and it is ALL FREE to practice on. To boot you get added competition when practicing. Nothing like working on high fades or other types of shots to get used to playing that shot in competition without it really counting.