The real reason golfers don’t get better with practice

gatorpedsMD

Normal hip flexibility is fine. And FourTops, when I make UD happen my way, I can go full bore trail side and the ball goes 330+ off the tee and I'm 48 yrs old. You're doing something wrong...

Moral of the story, there a good way to get UD and a bad way.

The less CH travel from UD, the better. You cannot flip, the low point is more forward and higher.

Full UD with less CH travel is the goal.

Ok...please explain...what does full UD with less CH travel mean? I'm open to your thoughts.

Golf is about seeking alignments that require average flexibility. Stretching from Minnesota to Alabama during a swing means little. 90% of the swing happens below the shoulders.

Seems to me hip flexibility in several directions is a big part of keeping the swing in sequence and connecting upper and lower body.

I have zero hip flexibility, in fact when I do a functional movement screen I fail MISERABLY. Only tests I come close to passing are with wrist and arm mobility. But I can move it around and break par on occasion still with very limited practice. But when I do practice, I do drills that actually make a difference in my ability to play.

Golf is about seeking alignments that require average flexibility. Stretching from Minnesota to Alabama during a swing means little. 90% of the swing happens below the shoulders.

Seems to me hip flexibility in several directions is a big part of keeping the swing in sequence and connecting upper and lower body.

I have zero hip flexibility, in fact when I do a functional movement screen I fail MISERABLY. Only tests I come close to passing are with wrist and arm mobility. But I can move it around and break par on occasion still with very limited practice. But when I do practice, I do drills that actually make a difference in my ability to play.

A. Men.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

A. Men.

What does "zero hip flexibility' mean?

You guys who can play with limited hips... beats me how. It has meant whole upper body got pulled - big time OTT. At age 66 I’m fighting flexibility loss from a poor starting point.

I doubt Craig Stadler has a lot of hip flexibility, either. There are a million ways to swing a club and score. Me, I know increasing my hip flexibility has helped a ton.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Normal hip flexibility is fine. And FourTops, when I make UD happen my way, I can go full bore trail side and the ball goes 330+ off the tee and I'm 48 yrs old. You're doing something wrong...��

Moral of the story, there a good way to get UD and a bad way.

The less CH travel from UD, the better. You cannot flip, the low point is more forward and higher.

Full UD with less CH travel is the goal.

Ok...please explain...what does full UD with less CH travel mean? I'm open to your thoughts.

Full ulnar deviation with less clubhead travel.

(And FWIW, while I know what the abbreviations stand for, I'm perplexed too...)

After years of lessons, practice and playing, I am more convinced then ever that physical condition is the biggest determining factor in performance. My lack of flexibility prevents me from taking my slow motion swing to full speed. Your body will always react in a way to prevent injury, and that is why my practice swing is so different than my full speed swing.

Of course what you stated "Your body will always react in a way to prevent injury, and that is why my practice swing is so different than my full speed swing." is 100% true. The reason is you're body is not ready for "full-contact" golf. Conditioning the muscles is paramount to success. Pro football players are constantly conditioning to retain strength as well as endurance. If they take two weeks off they see a reduction in performance. The problem is people think the golf swing doesn't require conditioning.

I'd really love to agree with this but I just can't. I got myself in as good a physical shape as was possible and I do flexibility drills as well. Neither has affected my game one iota, and I get regularly beat by a fat guy who can barely walk from his cart to the ball. My personal experience is that people don't improve because they're being given rotten information by an army of misinformed teaching pros. Literally every single 'fundamental' that I was taught as a younger player has now been refuted, and modern pros are teaching the opposite. The golf teaching profession is about where medicine was in 1865 when that profession was only beginning to incorporate actual science.

I think I agree with you, in the sense that lessons on the "proper" golf swing don't work for a large percentage of people who are not physically fit. I'm 55 years old, 6' tall and weigh in at a whopping 250 (how the hell did that happen?....oh yea, bourbon...never mind). My hamstrings are tight and that leads to back pain from time to time.

I started working with a "golf academy" that promised it would not teach the proverbial "one swing fits all". Well, they taught the "one swing fits all" in my opinion. Yes, if I could make that turn and get the club in that position, it would work spectacularly. Of course if I actually got to "that position", I would probably crumple into a pile and wraith in pain on the tee box. You could hear the tendons snap on the next tee box! So what happens?

What happens is the body and brain get together and create a swing that won't kill me but make my brain think I am doing what I have been instructed to do. Sadly video confirms that it looks NOTHING like what I think I am doing. And this is where the decent to hell begins. It's not the pro's fault that I am inflexible. That's all on me. I need to work on it and have begun. But a pro needs to recognize that what works for the 21 year old flat belly isn't going to work for the 55 year old guy with a belly.

I am going to get there, but its going to take a lot of commitment. The biggest issue is finding a swing that works with my current physicality AND is somewhat efficient. Of course I can put a swing on it and find the fairway, but its usually pretty inefficient and lacking power. I often kid that I have a kink between my lurch and my lunge.

So while many are correct that a fat guy can sometimes beat you, I dare say that is the exception, not the rule. I stand by my opinion that physical fitness is very important and often prevents people from improving, especially if they are taking lessons.

my head hurts...going to just toss my clubs off a bridge and take up knitting. If anyone needs a sweater let me know.

Head head doesn’t hurt because I ignore a lot of stuff. Too lazy to look up the same term I looked up yesterday and already forgot. But my hips ache from stretching. I’m taking up parcheesi.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

My earlier comment was made to highlight that I've had 2 strikes against me in the "progress thing" because often I misinterpreted or miss conceived what the correct thing is in the first place. Often this stuff gets lost in the translation or dialect it is transmitted in. Sometimes I heard but just did not listen. Either way, ability to progress hinges on getting that right first. Then the physical can come, maybe not easily but at least the count is now 2-0.

I want to add to my prior "DWTS" post. I just sat down at the piano after not playing since Sunday and my fingers feel like lead weights. I think there is more to this story than I originally thought....stretch to not only perform at a top level...but to allow a level of stress and still remain plenty flexible.

I agree with your friends stretching advice. I am pushing on 70 and still banging the ball pretty good compared to others 20-40yrs my junior. Even run circles around the staff, and stress is not a factor.

Only reasons are I still go to the gym every other day, lift weights, have a cardio regime and work out the kinks. For years I been telling that to anyone that listens. Sad but too many people have a bottle full of excuses then incessantly whine when the body talks back and the game goes south. Have a good day; I am off to the gym. :beach:

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

A couple of pages back I linked a couple of Andrew Jensen video from his vlog.

This is a list of his practice videos titled "Work Harder Wednesday" Lots of good stuff from use of DIY training aids, practice routines, . . .

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

My buddy who is scratch said today....the problem with golf is people have a hard time because they don't step-into the shot like throwing or hitting a baseball or tennis ball. The strike is completed with a connected rotation, much more like a hockey slapshot. And amazingly enough...he's a very good hockey player..

My buddy who is scratch said today....the problem with golf is people have a hard time because they don't step-into the shot like throwing or hitting a baseball or tennis ball. The strike is completed with a connected rotation, much more like a hockey slapshot. And amazingly enough...he's a very good hockey player..

Not so sure I agree with your buddy - lots of current and ex-MLB pitchers who are scratch or better.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Not so sure I agree with your buddy - lots of current and ex-MLB pitchers who are scratch or better.

I've yet to see a baseball pitcher step-into a golf shot.

You said people have a hard time with golf because they don't step into a shot like throwing a ball or hitting a baseball. Looks like a lot of MLB pitchers have overcome that obstacle.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

You said people have a hard time with golf because they don't step into a shot like throwing a ball or hitting a baseball. Looks like a lot of MLB pitchers have overcome that obstacle.

Some do...i didn't say baseball players can't play golf...but a hockey slapshot is far more similar to golf.

Some do...i didn't say baseball players can't play golf...but a hockey slapshot is far more similar to golf.

I would agree - I played hockey for many years.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

This has been a fun thread! From a 16 year old +5 to old guys with no hip movement. From critical thinkers to no-thoughters. I think the original article was very good. At the end of the day, people are just different. They think different and move different. And for some, they seem to think that because the golf ball doesn't move and there is zero running involved, they should be able to be better at golf than any other thing they've ever done. Are they wrong? No and yes. If you've ever hit a great golf shot, why can't it be done again? If you've ever made a good decision on the golf course, why can't that be done again? And why can't we do these things over and over for many rounds of golf? Because golf is both an athletic and mental endeavor, and if you're on with one, the other doesn't matter as much. The best in the world, at their best, are on with both. If you've never taken the time to learn either, you're just floundering around playing at a very strange game, and your chances at improvement are slim. To improve, go find a coach who interests you, and be your own best caddie...

I think because golf is somewhere you get tested against yourself, rather than others, you are held to a higher standard than other sports. It's easy enough to find similar competition in anything else, but golf courses are generally difficult, and you won't find ones which will allow 25 handicaps to score par. It's quite difficult. The truth is people don't try that hard at other sports, and don't understand how hard they need to try to be good at golf. Sports are both physical and mental. Golf at least allows you to play courses if you have average athletic ability to play the white tees and be good if your mental aspects are on point. But if not, you will struggle. And not to mention the people with less than average athletic ability. Those will never get to par consistently due to lack of distance (I'm just theorizing here but the general direction I think is right). I think people often overstate their abilities in other sports as well, when in fact some are just not very good. I think it's funny when coaches will be like oh it's just like throwing a baseball, and while most can throw a baseball, most can't throw it from outfield to home plate. The facts are quite the same. Most people don't practice basketball as much as a golfer practices their swing. You don't expect not to be able to make a shot if you didn't spend hours and hours at the range or gym. Golf is much harder and exacting to be at a playable level.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

my head hurts...going to just toss my clubs off a bridge and take up knitting. If anyone needs a sweater let me know.

The founding member of Knitting WRX shows off his tour issue needles!

I’m with you here, too much of this makes my head hurt too. I think I’ll stay blissfully ignorant.......I have ignorant down pretty well.

Because the golf ball just sits there. The urge to over-power is great. The urge to hit "at the ball" vs. swing thru is great. The need to swing from the ground-up is lost because after-all, the arms and shoulders can easily handle the weight of the club. And there is no other sport where you stand still and face 90 degrees from the target. And there are few other sports where one can get "positive feedback" by hitting a great shot with lousy technique, which leads to more lousy technique.

Because the golf ball just sits there. The urge to over-power is great. The urge to hit "at the ball" vs. swing thru is great. The need to swing from the ground-up is lost because after-all, the arms and shoulders can easily handle the weight of the club. And there is no other sport where you stand still and face 90 degrees from the target. And there are few other sports where one can get "positive feedback" by hitting a great shot with lousy technique, which leads to more lousy technique.

i agree. the whole motion is unnatural.

FourTops: the most distracting avatar in all of WRX

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

FourTops: the most distracting avatar in all of WRX

Distraction to run some cover for my stupid posts! Golfers would get better if she was the instructor....I know for sure they'd show up for the lesson.

Hey folks...consider this: About a year ago my pro told me to start playing with folks that are better, or way better than me. He thinks it's kinda like tennis, playing with better players improves one's game. He said (and I know all too well) that the guys who play with the same group tend to not improve. He said imagine playing with Couples, Woods, Johnson all the time....he said I'd learn more in two rounds than in years of lessons.

Hey folks...consider this: About a year ago my pro told me to start playing with folks that are better, or way better than me. He thinks it's kinda like tennis, playing with better players improves one's game. He said (and I know all too well) that the guys who play with the same group tend to not improve. He said imagine playing with Couples, Woods, Johnson all the time....he said I'd learn more in two rounds than in years of lessons.

Absolutely. This is why in today's competitive athletic climate it's more important for middle school and high school athletes to play on travel clubs then their own schools athletic teams if they have desires of playing their sport at the college or professional level. Talent pool and competition expands greatly with travel teams.

The challenges for the poorer golfer to be welcomed to play with better golfers are:

1. Slow play

2. Poor etiquette

3. Slow play