2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rick Shiels - Wilson Staff Cortex Review

Rick Shiels quotes:

“Smash that like button”

“Don’t forget to smash that like button”

“Remember to smash that like button”

I refuse to subscribe to his channel for that reason alone. If he asked me to press the subscribe button, I'd think about it.

Everyone is aware that the more likes, subs and comments these guys get the more money they earn? It's no different to the guy at a golf shop asking if you want to buy anything else after spending 2K or the coffee shop asking if you would like anything else with your coffee. This is his income he has to sell himself as this is his job.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time a new driver comes out, there are a group of haters that post their negativity. It is not limited to the Cortex. If you think so then you have not been around here long enough or do not care to do any research. Twistface had some similar reactions, Titleist always gets beat up for a high price point for lagging behind in the tech department, Ping has gotten ripped for an ugly crown design... to say that the "big boys" are immune to the criticism is not even close to being accurate. I don't know why you have an axe to grind regarding the Cortex but lighten up OP. Their last DvD product was ugly, loud, and non conforming... forgive most of us for being skeptical about the new release from a company that asks random designers from the general public for help in designing a flagship product.

With that said, it looks like a decent driver, I would love to try it out. But I think the price tag has a lot of people turning cheek when they (Wilson Staff) haven't provided any sort of proof in the past that they belong in that price range.

You have your opinion, others have theirs. That's how it works.

Great post!

Why are you telling me to “lighten up OP”? I was...and am...trying to have fun and everyone else has taken this 180* from the intent which was to try and guess what Rick Shiels review would “say” and what the content may be like. Certainly it is going to be split 50/50 given his role on the show as well as his “day job”. His review of the Srixon Z785 made me want to go out and try it (as I have stated elsewhere) and the entire “marketing concept” by Wilson is new and unique.

We are all talking about it, but how successful is it as it relates to product sales and converting consumers? My $0.02 is that Wilson has taken a “social media” approach to improving their brand identity in the golf community, because they do not have the brand recognition, tour pros and other channels to be competitive with other companies who may be doing it better. What percentage of sales is golf within the Wilson brand?They don’t have a Tiger Woods, their name doesn’t say Callaway and they are not known for golf equipment...tennis racquets and baseball gloves, YES, ...

Go back and look at the post and see how many guys/gals have actually replied with a quote or answered the questions posted?

Why I said you should lighten up is because you make this ridiculous claim that people are flipping their noses up JUST because it's Wilson. That's just false. There are many other reasons to question it, bu my point was that ALL OEMs go through the ringer here. There's nothing to be defensive about when it comes to brand recognition. As you've stated, Wilson is taking different approaches to try and find their way as it seems they are a bit lost at times.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Rick Shiels quotes:

“Smash that like button”

I refuse to subscribe to his channel for that reason alone. If he asked me to press the subscribe button, I'd think about it.

Everyone is aware that the more likes, subs and comments these guys get the more money they earn? It's no different to the guy at a golf shop asking if you want to buy anything else after spending 2K or the coffee shop asking if you would like anything else with your coffee. This is his income he has to sell himself as this is his job.

Thanks for explaining the bleeding obvious.

Rick Shiels quotes:

“Smash that like button”

I am well aware of all of this. I'm making light of the fact that it irritates me that he asks us to "smash" that subscribe button.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Well Newton's review reiterates my thought that Wilson priced this driver incredibly too high. He basically hit it the same as he does all drivers dave for a bit of excess spin. Didn't watch the review where he toyed with adjustability.

Imagine if reviews came out saying this driver was as good as anything g out there and this driver, new, was $300 or even $350 retail...more people would buy it. Wilson seemed to forget that to steal significant market share it needed to be a bit of a loss leader...

Unless they simply had a target number of units to try to sell and that would be it. Basically trying to raise awareness of capability for their next driver. Idk what their strategy is here..

They already have the C300 driver around that mark. Obviously they won't bring in their flagship driver at the same price

This whole moaning about the price is now becoming laughable. If it performs, looks and sounds great then pay what it's worth, and that right now in the UK is £399 max.

Compared to PXG it's a steal.

Well Newton's review reiterates my thought that Wilson priced this driver incredibly too high. He basically hit it the same as he does all drivers dave for a bit of excess spin. Didn't watch the review where he toyed with adjustability.

Imagine if reviews came out saying this driver was as good as anything g out there and this driver, new, was $300 or even $350 retail...more people would buy it. Wilson seemed to forget that to steal significant market share it needed to be a bit of a loss leader...

Unless they simply had a target number of units to try to sell and that would be it. Basically trying to raise awareness of capability for their next driver. Idk what their strategy is here..

They already have the C300 driver around that mark. Obviously they won't bring in their flagship driver at the same price

This whole moaning about the price is now becoming laughable. If it performs, looks and sounds great then pay what it's worth, and that right now in the UK is £399 max.

Compared to PXG, everything is a steal :)

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Rick Shiels quotes:

“Smash that like button”

I am well aware of all of this. I'm making light of the fact that it irritates me that he asks us to "smash" that subscribe button.

I’m still trying to work out how to “smash” it. I went pretty hard, but I still think I ended up just pressing it.

Every time a new driver comes out, there are a group of haters that post their negativity. It is not limited to the Cortex. If you think so then you have not been around here long enough or do not care to do any research. Twistface had some similar reactions, Titleist always gets beat up for a high price point for lagging behind in the tech department, Ping has gotten ripped for an ugly crown design... to say that the "big boys" are immune to the criticism is not even close to being accurate. I don't know why you have an axe to grind regarding the Cortex but lighten up OP. Their last DvD product was ugly, loud, and non conforming... forgive most of us for being skeptical about the new release from a company that asks random designers from the general public for help in designing a flagship product.

With that said, it looks like a decent driver, I would love to try it out. But I think the price tag has a lot of people turning cheek when they (Wilson Staff) haven't provided any sort of proof in the past that they belong in that price range.

Great post!

Why are you telling me to “lighten up OP”? I was...and am...trying to have fun and everyone else has taken this 180* from the intent which was to try and guess what Rick Shiels review would “say” and what the content may be like. Certainly it is going to be split 50/50 given his role on the show as well as his “day job”. His review of the Srixon Z785 made me want to go out and try it (as I have stated elsewhere) and the entire “marketing concept” by Wilson is new and unique.

We are all talking about it, but how successful is it as it relates to product sales and converting consumers? My $0.02 is that Wilson has taken a “social media” approach to improving their brand identity in the golf community, because they do not have the brand recognition, tour pros and other channels to be competitive with other companies who may be doing it better. What percentage of sales is golf within the Wilson brand?They don’t have a Tiger Woods, their name doesn’t say Callaway and they are not known for golf equipment...tennis racquets and baseball gloves, YES, ...

Go back and look at the post and see how many guys/gals have actually replied with a quote or answered the questions posted?

Why I said you should lighten up is because you make this ridiculous claim that people are flipping their noses up JUST because it's Wilson. That's just false. There are many other reasons to question it, bu my point was that ALL OEMs go through the ringer here. There's nothing to be defensive about when it comes to brand recognition. As you've stated, Wilson is taking different approaches to try and find their way as it seems they are a bit lost at times.

“You make ridiculous claim that people are flipping their noses up JUST because it’s Wilson”??? Can you please show me where in my beginning post I made a “ridiculous” claim? Or, were I made a false claim???

Did I spark a debate/discussion...it certainly appears to be that way...NOT my fault if individuals can’t follow directions.

Is the cortex 399 pounds in the UK?

Your statement is laughable. Tell me any other industry where you're going to pay premium for a lower tier brand...

If anyone is looking for some “intelligent” insight pertaining to Wilson Golf...here is an old article which I believe can be summed up by the reactions to this and other posts by:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-wilson-golf-equipment-0904-biz-20160901-story.html

In the mid-1990s, Wilson, still the maker of forged irons tour players loved, missed the boat on a switch to oversized cast clubs amateurs found more forgiving, Clarke said.They also began selling more equipment in mass merchandise stores like Wal-Mart.

"The mentality came in that volume is king," he said. But it took focus away from equipment for more serious players and hurt the brand's image. In the early 2000s, the golf division alternated between years of profits and losses as it ran through six general managers in the decade leading up to 2006, when Clarke took the job. Net sales fell by about half between 2001 and 2006, according to Amer's annual reports.

"Market share was basically nonexistent, and we were pretty well out of the pro business at that point," he said.

JUST IN CASE...HERE IS MORE FROM ANOTHER SOURCE:

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/how-the-wilson-staff-empire-crumbled/

SAFE TO SAY...WILSON’S “RELEVANCE” IN THE MARKET STILL HAS NOT RECOVERED, WHICH I THINK EVERYONE IS SAYING IN VARIOUS WAYS.

Great post!

Why are you telling me to lighten up OP? I was...and am...trying to have fun and everyone else has taken this 180* from the intent which was to try and guess what Rick Shiels review would say and what the content may be like. Certainly it is going to be split 50/50 given his role on the show as well as his day job. His review of the Srixon Z785 made me want to go out and try it (as I have stated elsewhere) and the entire marketing concept by Wilson is new and unique.

We are all talking about it, but how successful is it as it relates to product sales and converting consumers? My $0.02 is that Wilson has taken a social media approach to improving their brand identity in the golf community, because they do not have the brand recognition, tour pros and other channels to be competitive with other companies who may be doing it better. What percentage of sales is golf within the Wilson brand?They dont have a Tiger Woods, their name doesnt say Callaway and they are not known for golf equipment...tennis racquets and baseball gloves, YES, ...

You make ridiculous claim that people are flipping their noses up JUST because its Wilson??? Can you please show me where in my beginning post I made a ridiculous claim? Or, were I made a false claim???

Did I spark a debate/discussion...it certainly appears to be that way...NOT my fault if individuals cant follow directions.

Youre correct, my apologies. It was Steel Dillo. Im on my mobile tapatalk and its not as clear here. I apologize for the mixup.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Great post!

Why? You'll be giving us another update on posts/looks/likes any time now, lol.

Just posted as if he'd already reviewed to get the clicks you are enjoying, and yes, take and invite some shots at the guy, and what the heck, if you enjoy that have at it I guess.

cMAP48SK_400x400.png

There are at least a couple of other threads on the driver where he could have gotten the same "questions" answered.

You'd think the fact that nobody took his "click bait" and answered his questions should at least tell him something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Rick Shiels quotes:

"Smash that like button"

"Don't forget to smash that like button"

"Remember to smash that like button"

I'm still trying to work out how to "smash" it. I went pretty hard, but I still think I ended up just pressing it.

i tried to smash the like button once..... still waiting for my new laptop to arrive :)

Your statement is laughable. Tell me any other industry where you're going to pay premium for a lower tier brand...

Define lower tier brand?

In my eyes Wilson are still top tier, albeit not at the echelon.

Great golf balls, fantastic irons both forger and cast. Agreed the Triton driver was a donkey but F5 tour driver performance was totally ignored. Ç300 driver is up there with the best. D300 driver has been used on tour.

In your eyes it maybe a rubbish company but in objective reality it's pretty darn good.

Define lower tier brand?

Great golf balls, fantastic irons both forger and cast. Agreed the Triton driver was a donkey but F5 tour driver performance was totally ignored. Ç300 driver is up there with the best. D300 driver has been used on tour.

In your eyes it maybe a rubbish company but in objective reality it's pretty darn good.

You said it yourself..."albeit not at the echelon".

No further definition needed.

Define lower tier brand?

Nice post ??

Well, it appears now that the "Flash" has been shown, this thread is a tad idle. ‍♂️Go get it boys...

Callaway flash and taylormade screwface. The echelon brands have put their foot down on the buffoonery.

Lol, and their buffoonery will be well marketed with plenty of stock to demo and multiple shafts to fit the consumer with.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Well, it appears now that the "Flash" has been shown, this thread is a tad idle. ��‍♂️Go get it boys...

Callaway flash and taylormade screwface. The echelon brands have put their foot down on the buffoonery.

Lol, and their buffoonery will be well marketed with plenty of stock to demo and multiple shafts to fit the consumer with.

Yayyyyyy..... you ??????? can get alll TWISTIER and SCREWED at the same time !! Echelon’s A double S!!!!! Well marketed yes, to another blind, it’s twistier, longer believer. Go get in line ya fools.

Well, it appears now that the "Flash" has been shown, this thread is a tad idle. ��‍♂️Go get it boys...

Yayyyyyy..... you �������������� can get alll TWISTIER and SCREWED at the same time !! Echelon's A double S!!!!! Well marketed yes, to another blind, it's twistier, longer believer. Go get in line ya fools.

So, what about the Cortex would convince me to go that route for the same $$? Because they held a reality competition to design it? But, Noooooo, that's not gimmicky...

My original point being, the major OEM's will make a better case for the high price tag. Whatever they call their flag ship tech, they are selling it as a driving factor in the design and quality of the club. They will also offer fitting options to make sure, that for your $500, you will be able to find something that works.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Well, it appears now that the “Flash” has been shown, this thread is a tad idle. ?‍♂️Go get it boys...

Buffoonery, personally I think TM been on that wagon since the days of Longier and the added 17 yards, but that’s just me ??‍♂️. Enjoy gentlemen!

Yayyyyyy..... you �������������� can get alll TWISTIER and SCREWED at the same time !! Echelon's A double S!!!!! Well marketed yes, to another blind, it's twistier, longer believer. Go get in line ya fools.

So, what about the Cortex would convince me to go that route for the same $$? Because they held a reality competition to design it? But, Noooooo, that's not gimmicky...

You’d get off the wagon AND, if available to try the Cortex, decide for yourself which way to go. Plain and simple sir.

Well, it appears now that the "Flash" has been shown, this thread is a tad idle. ‍♂️Go get it boys...

Buffoonery, personally I think TM been on that wagon since the days of Longier and the added 17 yards, but that's just me ‍♂️. Enjoy gentlemen!

I will give credit for that. The whole Rocketballz-Rocketballzier business was lame. They have toned it down since then.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Buffoonery, personally I think TM been on that wagon since the days of Longier and the added 17 yards, but that's just me ����‍♂️. Enjoy gentlemen!

I will give credit for that. The whole Rocketballz-Rocketballzier business was lame. They have toned it down since then.

I agree they’ve toned down, although that RBZ OG 3 wood was a great product. I’ve still got one collectting dust. They lost me after that and the r7 irons. My son, on the other hand is a TM poster child lol. Me,I’m just old school.

Buffoonery, personally I think TM been on that wagon since the days of Longier and the added 17 yards, but that's just me ����‍♂️. Enjoy gentlemen!

I agree they've toned down, although that RBZ OG 3 wood was a great product. I've still got one collectting dust. They lost me after that and the r7 irons. My son, on the other hand is a TM poster child lol. Me,I'm just old school.

Never got on with the white clubs. I hit it a couple of times and was impressed with its performance. But, I was very anti Taylormade back then (mostly due to their marketing). Their current irons and woods are top notch though.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS