ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

At setup, you need more angle between your arms and shaft. Your arms and shaft have too little angle. This causes you to have the club head under your hands in the takeaway and very flat. On the down swing, feel like you need to get your right elbow in front of your right shoulder. It’s behind you, causing you to throw out all your hinge too early. Since you throw it out early, the club is longer through impact so guy have to stand up or you’ll hit it fat. Standing up too early causes less rotation so now you flip it through impact.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

At setup, you need more angle between your arms and shaft. Your arms and shaft have too little angle. This causes you to have the club head under your hands in the takeaway and very flat. On the down swing, feel like you need to get your right elbow in front of your right shoulder. It’s behind you, causing you to throw out all your hinge too early. Since you throw it out early, the club is longer through impact so guy have to stand up or you’ll hit it fat. Standing up too early causes less rotation so now you flip it through impact.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the setup change and see what that does.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try the setup change and see what that does.

Try this drill: setup, then hinge the club straight up toward your nose until the club is parallel to the ground. Now take your back swing and hit it. Notice how the club will stay outside your hands, if you maintain that hinge.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Not swing related, but with the weather being mostly crap I finally finished off the paint fill for my new wedges. I think they turned out nicely.

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

The dark green paint can be hard to see in photos, I may try a clear green acrylic next time around.

Rats, thought those were black and gold! ;-)

I don't have anything against the Hawkeyes, but I'm still hanging onto that NDSU win over them at home!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Not swing related, but with the weather being mostly crap I finally finished off the paint fill for my new wedges. I think they turned out nicely.

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

The dark green paint can be hard to see in photos, I may try a clear green acrylic next time around.

I don't have anything against the Hawkeyes, but I'm still having onto that NDSU win over them at home!

LOL. Haven't been able to swing because of the elbow and now winter is here, but that putting mat and device are pure gold!

fMq5psM.jpg

DkdqPDD.jpg

I don't have anything against the Hawkeyes, but I'm still having onto that NDSU win over them at home!

LOL. Haven't been able to swing because of the elbow and now winter is here, but that putting mat and device are pure gold!

I work from home a couple days a week and I take a lot of breaks to roll putts on the mat and use the PuttOut. I love it.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So, not sure if it was the smartest move (given I've played once in the last month and I'm still in the middle of swing changes) but I went in and did a driver fitting. I knew all year I was leaving yards on the table with my Nike Vapor Pro but I kept telling myself I'd wait until my swing was all "fixed" and see if perhaps that would get me more optimized.

Anyway, I went with a Rogue Sub Zero which gained me about 12 yards on average and tightened up dispersion a little. I hit 6 or 7 other heads in various shaft and loft combinations and initially Callaway wasn't on my list of drivers to try because I typically haven't liked their sound or shape.

I wasn't swinging that well and could tell I had regressed some back into my flip pattern with a lot of pulls and pull draws. Was getting club head speed in the 107-109 range, with a couple at 110+.

For whatever reason, I never feel comfortable hitting on simulators and I've known that for some time. Perhaps I should've waited for spring and done an outdoor fitting. I'm sure I can always get a "check up" in the spring and tweak loft and possibly shaft if needed.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

It's not much, but it's a start... I've finally put together a spot where I can work on things over the winter.

F9U7TPp.jpg

It's no simulator and I don't have a launch monitor but it's something. I've still got aspirations to get a SkyTrak and make a little more permanent setup, but at present I've got a teenager and a 3rd car taking up valuable garage space.

For now I'll have to rely on video, stills and mirror work along with focusing on fundamentals like grip, setup & alignment.

I've also got a Swingbyte 2 from 3 years that I think I used once that I may mess around with.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Get the skytrak, it adds sooooooo much to the experience. I think its still on sale...

I know, I almost pulled the trigger on one but just can't at the moment.

1) I'd also have to layout some coin for a computer for the simulation, my home computer is old (I have a work laptop that sees most of my use) and would not be sufficient. I already got some questioning over the net and made cost (my wife isn't a golfer)

2) Space - I already have to back out my teen's car, move the mat and move the net to hit. Any time I want to drop other things in there like cycling, I also have to move stuff or take down the net. I can tear down that net in about 5 minutes but still. Add in Skytrak with setting up, leveling, aligning, hooking up cables, etc every time I want to hit and that becomes cumbersome.

Long term I'm hoping to figure out a solution for a more permanent layout that won't require me to setup and tear down, but that might not happen until I get my 3rd stall back in a couple years.

I'd like to rearrange a bit, and get a net suspended from the ceiling, on "rails" or poles so I can just pull it back and forth around my hitting area. Then build a permanent area for the hitting mat.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I just use a Ipad or my phone. I don't see any advantage of using a screen and projector. I have to set-up and tear down each time. Takes me 5 minutes. Buy her some flowers and bath soaps.

Assuming you use the phone/tablet for the Skytrack app? I wouldn't think you would be able to do the simulation like The Golf Club, E6 Golf, etc. on just a phone or tablet?

So you're able to setup the SkyTrak in about 5 mins? What all is involved? just leveling and making sure it's perpendicular to the target line?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I play WGT on it no problem. Works great. My whole set-up takes 5 minutes. That's the net, mat, skytrak etc. The Skytrak has two laser dots you align down the target. Takes 20 second to pair it to the ipad. Here is my set-up I demo the skytrak at the 6 minute mark:

[media=]

[/media]

That's a nice setup! I don't completely mishit it that often, but I feel like I'd be worried about shanking one right of that net! The rukket bought is 9' wide and I am still a little considered with the possibility of shanking one right and putting a hole in my wall!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

First time really using the net and mat tonight. I like both, and I'm now pretty pleased with the investment. Gotta figure out how to maximize my practice and make sure I'm working on the right things.

What I'm not pleased with is my swing. I've really only played one round in the last 9 weeks, and hardly swung my clubs. I can see whatever progress I was making is mostly gone. About the only positives still there are that the swing is shorter than where I started but still a touch long and my grip is stronger but probably still not strong enough.

Here's the latest from inside the garage. Going to be hard to get great face on takes, but can probably get a little better next time by angling the setup a bit to give me a little more room to setup the camera.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I feel like I've still got a really flat turn in the backswing. Am I lacking some side behind taking it back? Or am I just seeing things?

While the FO camera angle is a bit whack, I can't get over how narrow my stance is and how square my feet are. That setup is pretty poor - no shoulder tilt and almost leaning toward target side.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

First time really using the net and mat tonight. I like both, and I'm now pretty pleased with the investment. Gotta figure out how to maximize my practice and make sure I'm working on the right things.

What I'm not pleased with is my swing. I've really only played one round in the last 9 weeks, and hardly swung my clubs. I can see whatever progress I was making is mostly gone. About the only positives still there are that the swing is shorter than where I started but still a touch long and my grip is stronger but probably still not strong enough.

Here's the latest from inside the garage. Going to be hard to get great face on takes, but can probably get a little better next time by angling the setup a bit to give me a little more room to setup the camera.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Just came here to say keep grinding. No idea how to offer good or bad advice on your swing - I'm certainly no expert.

Also, I'm liking that shop/garage setup you have there.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Just came here to say keep grinding. No idea how to offer good or bad advice on your swing - I'm certainly no expert.

Also, I'm liking that shop/garage setup you have there.

Thanks appreciate the words - really wish there was a Skytrak included that setup, and I really wanted to pull the trigger with them offering the $300 off right now but I would likely be facing some serious charges from the War Department (a.k.a. the significant other who is not a golfer) dropping $2k on what she would consider a golf toy.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I have the smallest garage known to man... I'm trying to get a net in there for the winter but I'm not even sure I can swing a club in there. How big is that net in post 134? I thiiiinnnnkk if I open my garage door and move all the garbage cans outside, I could fit that against the wall. I'd be like 4 ft away from it though. I'd probably just be looking to be hitting little baby 50% irons, but that's perfect to work on mechanics.

I have the smallest garage known to man... I'm trying to get a net in there for the winter but I'm not even sure I can swing a club in there. How big is that net in post 134? I thiiiinnnnkk if I open my garage door and move all the garbage cans outside, I could fit that against the wall. I'd be like 4 ft away from it though. I'd probably just be looking to be hitting little baby 50% irons, but that's perfect to work on mechanics.

The one in my videos and photos is 9x7x5 according the the manufacturer, I haven't measured to see if there's any difference.

Post 134 looks like this net, but can't say for certain since it's not mine. Says 10x7x5 in the product info.

https://www.rukket.com/collections/golf-nets/products/rukknet-the-original-pop-up-golf-net-w-ball-return-feature-10x7x5-practice-your-swing-anywhere

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hmmm... problem is my garage is not very wide. Barely wide enough to fit a car... it's so narrow that if you do put a car inside, you can't even fully open the door. No more than 7' wide I'd say. It's got depth though so I think if I pretty much just move all the crap near where the door outside... I could fit a little net.

So I'm probably looking for something maybe only 4ft wide. 10ft wide is literally wider than my whole garage lol. If I put it the other way... it wouldn't fit either because I've got storage boxes.

Hmmm... problem is my garage is not very wide. Barely wide enough to fit a car... it's so narrow that if you do put a car inside, you can't even fully open the door. No more than 7' wide I'd say. It's got depth though so I think if I pretty much just move all the crap near where the door outside... I could fit a little net.

So I'm probably looking for something maybe only 4ft wide. 10ft wide is literally wider than my whole garage lol. If I put it the other way... it wouldn't fit either because I've got storage boxes.

I'd maybe looking into just buying one of the hanging nets, and rigging something up to the ceiling so you can pull it aside when not using it

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hmmmmm almost like how a shower certain gets hung type of thing? Tony Finau said he used to hit into a mattress in his garage... Not sure how that would work.

Exactly - I'd think there would be sort of a hanging track system you could suspend from the ceiling and just have the net in that system. I can't fine it at the moment, but I'm sure some searching of the forums could find some of the company's that make just the netting you can buy. I've seen links in other "simulator build" type threads.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Hmmmmm almost like how a shower certain gets hung type of thing? Tony Finau said he used to hit into a mattress in his garage... Not sure how that would work.

I was thinking something like this - that would allow you to hang the net, and then just slide it over to the end when not in use.

I'm sure something more reasonable cost wise could be found at a hardware store, etc but here's where that picture came from: https://roomdividersnow.com/products/ceiling-track-sets?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSYyXw72gmCAKH9R6kicSG4KPcncmIrp7BeyPUFPFrNDXGJXKLeFe9kaAnaaEALw_wcB&variant=16602667910

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Last January I purchased the SuperSpeed training system, however I only used it once since I started experiencing some low back pain (didn't coincide with the the one use of SuperSpeed). So I shelved them while I was working on resolving the back pain. I also wasn't doing any swinging of clubs either during this time.

I decided it was time to get them back out and do the training since I have nothing better to do for the next 4-5 months while I wait out winter here. I'm hoping to combine the SuperSpeed 3x a week with some strength training & core/stability work, along with some cardio to get into decent shape.

A couple observations - I stink at swinging left handed, like I have almost no coordination left handed. If I even gain a little bit of ambidextrous skill from this program it'll be a win. Second, I noticed that often the "harder" I was trying to swing, the less the speed increased or even decreased. Definitely exposing some of my inefficient/wasted motion in my swing. I noticed some different feelings or ways to get the clubs moving faster and it started to show in some of the later swings.

I got in a hurry over my excitement to use the radar and totally forgot to record my driver speed hitting a ball prior to beginning. So, I'm using my average from my last driver fitting as a stand in. Here are the numbers from my 2nd session overall and 1st session since I picked up the swing speed radar.

Driver speed before SuperSpeed = 108mph

12/10/18 - Intro protocol

Standing

Right Left

Gr Bl Re Gr Bl Re

120 114 110 100 97 94

Step Change

Right Left

Gr Bl Re Gr Bl Re

121 118 111 103 97 97

Standing/dominant side only, lightest

Driver speed after SuperSpeed = 113mph