Most recognizable/ famous golf course logo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most recognizable and famous for golfwrx members who are golf nuts? Or casual golfers in general? Forget about people who don't golf as that is like asking who is your favorite thoroughbred horse of all time to people who don't watch horse racing. Who cares.

I am torn to exclude logos with the course's name in them, but after all this is part of branding and helps with recognition. Remember Nike used to spell out the name next to the swoosh and now they don't need to for over 20 years. I will include all course logos for casual golfers and omit the requested omissions (ANGC, PV, LACC, :

merion

winged foot

whistling straits

pinehurst

pebble beach

I don't think Oakmont, Seminole, Fishers Island, NGLA, Shinnecock is instantly recognizable. If you asked casual golfers what is oakmont's logo I doubt they would know. I would be surprised if they knew Seminole, Fishers Isl., NGLA. Maybe Shinnecock because it gets US Open play. However I think Merion is recognizable for the wicker baskets and known along with the big time public's of WS, PH, PB. I think people recognize the Palmer umbrella but not as Bay Hill instantly IMO.

I think the accurate test is to ask people what is the logo for XYZ course and see if they can describe it, as opposed to showing them logos and ask which one is Whistling Straits, because it has the name in the logo. Just my input.

Most recognizable and famous for golfwrx members who are golf nuts? Or casual golfers in general? Forget about people who don't golf as that is like asking who is your favorite thoroughbred horse of all time to people who don't watch horse racing. Who cares.

I am torn to exclude logos with the course's name in them, but after all this is part of branding and helps with recognition. Remember Nike used to spell out the name next to the swoosh and now they don't need to for over 20 years. I will include all course logos for casual golfers and omit the requested omissions (ANGC, PV, LACC, :

merion

winged foot

whistling straits

pinehurst

pebble beach

I don't think Oakmont, Seminole, Fishers Island, NGLA, Shinnecock is instantly recognizable. If you asked casual golfers what is oakmont's logo I doubt they would know. I would be surprised if they knew Seminole, Fishers Isl., NGLA. Maybe Shinnecock because it gets US Open play. However I think Merion is recognizable for the wicker baskets and known along with the big time public's of WS, PH, PB. I think people recognize the Palmer umbrella but not as Bay Hill instantly IMO.

I think the accurate test is to ask people what is the logo for XYZ course and see if they can describe it, as opposed to showing them logos and ask which one is Whistling Straits, because it has the name in the logo. Just my input.

Over the years I have club caddied at Sea Island, they also have wicker baskets. So every now and then I'll point them out to the players and say "there are 2 clubs in America that have wicker baskets, name the other one"

No one, not one person has ever been able to come up with Merion and these are people paying $500 per round for the experience.

I bet they all know Augusta Nationals logo though.

Another vote for Pinehurst. No other logo like it and they regularly host the US Open.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

And not sure why anyone that loves golf would say anything other than the ANGC logo.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Exactly! And 99% of golfers would struggle to describe any other than Augusta.

And not sure why anyone that loves golf would say anything other than the ANGC logo.

Maybe because it was one of the logos specifically excluded by the OP?

Yes I wanted to omit the obvious choices because they are so above and beyond recongnized.

To expand, I work in the golf industry with a few thousand country clubs so there are literally thousands of course logos I am very familiar with. Being blinded by the fact that I see so many logos on a daily basis and that I was born and raised in Michigan, it is helpful to see what golfers from other parts of the country see as the most familiar country club logos. I am putting together an order for the PGA Show and I have hit somewhat of a brain cramp while selecting logos to be embroidered onto our products. We want to show as many logos as possible that will resonate with as many golf pros as possible when they walk past our booth at the show... there are undisclosed reasons why I cannot include Pebble Beach, Augusta, Pine Valley and Bay Hill logos.

Thanks everyone so far that has contributed. When it comes to “recognizability” I am looking for YOUR individual choice, not what others may perceive to be the best choice.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

One course that has me absolutely stumped as to what exactly the pieces of the logo are: APAWAMIS

If anyone in the know can give a hint at what their logo is exactly I would be grateful. The green blob thing is what I struggle with

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I’ve always found Sleepy Hollow to be a unique and recognizable logo

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Bay Hill

Overall it seems kind of a niche question and I don't think just asking folks their opinion in this sample size will establish much, but Palmer and Bay Hill will cut across all sorts of demographics. I love Oakmont's and have been an avid golf fan for decades, but until the USGA put that squirrel on a hat that I got, I had no idea. When I would wear it people wondered about the squirrel - nobody knew. Most folks I play with aren't into logos of courses in other counties, let alone other states.

Bay Hill

Overall it seems kind of a niche question and I don't think just asking folks their opinion in this sample size will establish much, but Palmer and Bay Hill will cut across all sorts of demographics. I love Oakmont's and have been an avid golf fan for decades, but until the USGA put that squirrel on a hat that I got, I had no idea. When I would wear it people wondered about the squirrel - nobody knew. Most folks I play with aren't into logos of courses in other counties, let alone other states.

The squirrel isn't even Oakmont's official logo. They use it in their US Open logos however. This is their official one.

Oakmont-Country-Club-logo.jpg

Bay Hill

The squirrel isn't even Oakmont's official logo. They use it in their US Open logos however. This is their official one.

HA!

That's kind of a mess, so I might remember it for that. Earthy.

With a few exceptions most courses aren't "branded" in the sense their logos mean much to anyone.

Bay Hill

Same deal with the Masters Tournament logo and the ANGC logo. That’s even misreported all over the interweb.

If you want my opinion on the MOST recognizable logo in American golf... It's Augusta... Can't be any other surely.

I think most people don’t know what the ANGC logo looks like. They do know the Masters Tournament logo which is not the club’s logo.

Can you post a link to an illustration of the ANGC logo?

If you want my opinion on the MOST recognizable logo in American golf... It's Augusta... Can't be any other surely.

I think most people don’t know what the ANGC logo looks like. They do know the Masters Tournament logo which is not the club’s logo.

Can you post a link to an illustration of the ANGC logo?

There is no such thing available on the Internet of which I am aware. Perhaps one of our GolfWRX members that owns some club apparel could snap a picture a post it. Then again, that might not be in good taste and might not be a good idea for our board. I certainly don’t own any! I’ve only seen it. And it’s not the tournament logo we all recognize.

I've always found Sleepy Hollow to be a unique and recognizable logo

You beat me to it, probably my favorite logo. Also a course I really want to play someday, a real gem for sure.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Merion, Pinehurst, Bay Hill, Winged Foot, Olympic

Bay Hill

Represent

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. It’s big, but subtle if that makes sense.

Neither recognizable nor famous. LOL

Perhaps not in the circles you run

White Manor near Philly uses a milk can, so it seems that there's not a whole lot out there that's super-unique.

McArthur Golf Club- The milk bottle is just a really cool and simple logo that stands out on a golf bag, shirt, or hat. It’s big, but subtle if that makes sense.

Neither recognizable nor famous. LOL

Perhaps not in the circles you run

White Manor near Philly uses a milk can, so it seems that there's not a whole lot out there that's super-unique.

You’d be surprised how many clubs use duplicate logos. 2 years ago at the PGA show I actually had a head pro at a club with BFCC logo and he snapped a photo of another BFCC logo.. next thing I knew I was writing orders for the BFCC club using the other clubs logo.. they literally stole another clubs logo and changed the color scheme to suit their club.

I wish I could share some of our creations but I know our competitors would see them on here and copy our designs before the January show so I am going to holster the new designs for a while.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Merion, Pinehurst, Bay Hill, Winged Foot, Olympic

Bay Hill

Represent

The Palmer umbrella has a lot of hoops to navigate in order to legally use so that one is off the list along with ANGC and PV and PB

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx