2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Guys that shoot under par. What clubs?

BiggErn

Titleist 680 or Mizuno MP 32

Basically blades of some kind or a players cavity. Played titleist 990 for years and mizuno mp 60 as well.

Most of the very good players I know play something blade like. I personally believe there is a group of golfers who shoot very good scores but aren’t as skilled. This group might play GI or a mid sized iron with lots of forgiveness and carry a bunch of woods and hybrids. They can score and get hot but they can’t hit all of the shots.

I am a plus cap, but I don't know about shoot under par more times than not. Haha. If that qualifies to answer, see below.

Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour Issue 8.5

Aldila Tour ATX Green 70tx

Taylormade 2016 M2 Deep Face Tour Issue TS

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 80tx

Taylormade UDI TP #3

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White Hyb 100tx

Taylormade UDI TP #4

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade P790 5-PW

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 50

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 54

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade EF 58 degree

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade Spider Limited

Are you using the old ATX Green or the new version? I played the older version a few months ago and hit some of my longest drives ever with that shaft.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Agree w cradd i am a 4 index and have never shot under par:(

This will make you feel better.... friend of mine, a 9 or so at the time, shot a 69 at the home course, par 71. He was actually -5 at the turn, the pressure got to him a bit on the back. Think he doubled #14, hitting a tree less than 100 yds from the tee on the left.

As far as I know, it's his only time under par.

For those wondering, he was playing tees rated 69.4/121. :)

FWIW, I've bounced between 5 and 8 for the last 10 seasons, and have never shot under par.

I play a par 30 course at home that is the easiest ranked course in our state... I have shot -5 a couple times for 18. Was actually -7 once with my wife and made the mistake of saying so.... finished -4. I have shot under par four times elsewhere. My cap was as low as 1.3 and is up to around 5.8 now. I do not like that the 10 worst scores go away as I "try" the same all the time. I know many who have a casual game and a tournament game and they are NOT similar.

Not sure about more often than not - shot 1 over today on a very hard course with only my 2nd round with new irons.

Inside 120 yards I can beat most people, loads of people can drive it pretty straight and hit fairways - for me wedges and a putter you like is far far far far more important :)

Not to thread jack here, but how do you like the 760's and what were you playing? I'm in the 770's and considering the 760's!

I am a plus cap, but I don't know about shoot under par more times than not. Haha. If that qualifies to answer, see below.

Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour Issue 8.5

Aldila Tour ATX Green 70tx

Taylormade 2016 M2 Deep Face Tour Issue TS

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 80tx

Taylormade UDI TP #3

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White Hyb 100tx

Taylormade UDI TP #4

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade P790 5-PW

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 50

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 54

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade EF 58 degree

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade Spider Limited

Are you using the old ATX Green or the new version? I played the older version a few months ago and hit some of my longest drives ever with that shaft.

The new prototype that just hit Tour 2 weeks ago. I literally just switched over to it from Synergy Black.

I definitely don’t shoot under par a lot, but every time I had, u til last weekend, was with MP33’s. Long story but I had to play with my buddies MPH5’s (4-pw) and shot 1 under (easy-ish course). My god they were so easy to hit. I got over the chunky short irons pretty quick and was grooving them. I use an MPH5 4i so there’s that, but it’s really got me thinking that I would be better than I am if I wasn’t playing such demanding clubs. It helped that we both play S300’s, but man I was having fun.

I play off +2.1, I use a mix of everything, and I rotate a 2 iron and 2 hybrid in place of the 5 wood, like everyone said here, whatever works:

Driver: 2016 M1 (8.5 Degrees) Aldila NVS 85X 44 inches

3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX 10 Beta (13 Degrees) Aldila VS Proto By You 80X 43 inches

5 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition (19 Degrees) Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 95X 41 inches

Driving Iron: Srixon ZU45 (23 degrees, bent to 22 Degrees) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 Superlite

Irons: Srixon Z945 (5-PW) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 (50 and 56), Tour Edge Rally (60 Degrees) True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Odyssey V-Line White Hot Pro

Fun thread to read. There are great clubs from every era. I'm still using Ping ISIs most of the time surrounded by: TM RBZ driver, TM Raylor, TM RAC 54, and a TM TPA V putter. Sometimes I throw in the Wilson Staffs. Doesn't really matter at all, as long as the clubs fit.

If you want to find some consistency in a thread like this, ask about the ball. Of all the posters so far, there are probably only a handful of balls used...

The best guy in the area Nathan Smith (4 time USGA Mid Am Champ) has used pretty much everything. 690MBs at the Merion Walker Cup, had the TM "B" reduced offset irons, played X Hots in the NGL Walker Cup, used Epics for a while, had the regular Callaway Apex irons, he changes clubs a lot.

I’m a +2.5 and change clubs all the time. It’s a running joke with my friends about how much I change clubs.

I know what style and what specs fit me so I always get equipment that suits me. It doesn’t seem to affect my scores much.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Got my fair share of under par rounds this season.

PING G400 LST with Diamana Ltd 70 X

PXG 0311T 4-PW with Nippon 120 X

To be fair though the reason I shoot under par (if/when I do) is because of my Bettinardi SS #28. My best round of the year was a bogey free 69 at Oldfield a Greg Norman track in Buffort, SC course rating was 76.7. I only hit 9 greens in regulation, but I made everything I looked at.

PING G400 Max 

PING G400 3 wood

Still Searching for something in between

PING S55 4-PW

Vokey 50, 56, 60

Odyssey AI ONE Milled #1

Pro V1

I'm 66, and in July stood on our 18th tee box 5 under with a chance to shoot my age. Made par (and turned 67 a month later) but that doesn't happen every day. Clubs you trust and know are most important. Driver was a Callaway Big Bertha (2016 model) with an R flex Kuroage stock shaft. Irons, Taylormade RSi1, Vokey wedges...

But just last week, played with a guy who shot three rounds in the 60s using 20 year-old Big Bertha irons and an Orlimar 420 driver. And, the most accomplished player in our club (4 Senior Ams) uses a mixed bag of homemade clubs. But, he knows exactly what each one does and how to hit them.

... One thing that I find frustrating on WRX is those that think because something is applicable to them it is applicable to everyone. One thing I learned from teaching is everyone is different. For every player that can use any iron and not have it make any difference in their score, there is another that can have very different results using different irons. I have rarely found new irons make any difference in my score but it has certainly happened. Going from MB’s to 762b’s was one such change that made a big difference in my scores. And as stated earlier P790s were game changers for me. I taught a 2 index that played MB’s and I put him in some Maxfli VHLs and he dropped to a + index. Not only did he have better misses he had a better ball flight with his mid/long irons. And yet I had a 10 index playing MB’s that desperately needed a more forgiving iron. I tried several and he hit all of them worse than his MB’s. The irony was his misses were better, but he missed almost every shot where he hit some really nice shots with the MB’s, so we stuck with them.

... The moral to the story is it is always informative to read what works for you but that certainly does not mean it will be the same for everyone.

I’m late to this thread but had to reply to this post. It is simply one of the best posts I’ve read on WRX. It sums up a thought or idea that has been hanging around the edge of consciousness, but couldn’t quite put it all together.

Different strokes (pun intended) for different folks. So many are certain that becasue the way they do something, or what they use to do it, works for them it is THE right way. My goodness, go read the Meta-Awarenss thread in Instruction, talk about some people having ALL the answers.

Great post Chisag!

Currently a +1.1. Been as low as +3.5

My bag is in my signature. Check if out for a laugh.... :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Not sure about more often than not - shot 1 over today on a very hard course with only my 2nd round with new irons.

Inside 120 yards I can beat most people, loads of people can drive it pretty straight and hit fairways - for me wedges and a putter you like is far far far far more important :)

Not to thread jack here, but how do you like the 760's and what were you playing? I'm in the 770's and considering the 760's!

Hey - I had a set of Hogan's Apex Pro - played them for 10 years+

They were well and truly worn out, I did think of replacing them with the same clubs but thought I would get involved in some of the new tech. Off centre hits is where I notice it the most, go almost as far - big difference from the Hogan's. I am a good ball striker but still grateful of the help :

I tried the others 790, i500 etc but the 760s seemed to suit me best and had more traditional lofts in general; 46 wedge for example and all the lofts are within 1 degree of my Hogan's. Some of the others hit the ball too far with less control for me; I don't need to my a 7 iron 190 yards. I hope to keep these for a long time, as so far they do everything I need of them - only 2 rounds in.

Just played a few tournaments (best ball, individual )this weekend and shot under par both times with an all Titleist bag.

Hit the ball really well with the new driver/3w. Haven't felt comfortable over my woods like this is a very long time.

Go with what fits your eye the best!

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

IF you're looking for the holy grail here it is: There is no holy grail.

Once you realize this you'll accept that there is no short cut to breaking par. No set of irons is going to miraculously transform your ball striking. No wedge is gonna rip back to a tucked pin and no putter drains every 8 footer. Now, there IS a putter that is suited to your stroke, lie and loft. There is a shaft suited to your swing. Go find out what those are and stick with em.

My index went down when I stopped switching irons, wedges and putters and practiced short game I don't break par that often but I'm down to a 3 and did it twice in a row this year (73.6/129) with P770's, an old odyssey and a Ping G400 SFT with an addi 6s. The two best players in my club play 9 year old irons and putt with 15 year old putters. Newer drivers (both M2) and vokey wedges.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

IF you're looking for the holy grail here it is: There is no holy grail.

Once you realize this you'll accept that there is no short cut to breaking par. No set of irons is going to miraculously transform your ball striking. No wedge is gonna rip back to a tucked pin and no putter drains every 8 footer. Now, there IS a putter that is suited to your stroke, lie and loft. There is a shaft suited to your swing. Go find out what those are and stick with em.

My index went down when I stopped switching irons, wedges and putters and practiced short game I don't break par that often but I'm down to a 3 and did it twice in a row this year (73.6/129) with P770's, an old odyssey and a Ping G400 SFT with an addi 6s. The two best players in my club play 9 year old irons and putt with 15 year old putters. Newer drivers (both M2) and vokey wedges.

Again, the point of the thread was simply to show very good golf can be played with just about any type of clubs. For entertainment purposes only not to say you have to play a certain type of club to have a chance to be good.

5 years ago, When I was actually playing really well (for me) and I was in the +2 handicap range I was playing a set of mizuno mp68 irons. Sold those for AP2s and never have brought my game back. I went thru 8 sets of irons over the 3 years after I sold the Mizunos and finally settled on a set of Srixon z965s. I think those under par days are coming back, my birdies are going up as my proximity to the hole is going thru the roof and it’s leading to confidence across my game.

My big advice to anyone who to score well, find something you are comfortable and confident with and stick with it and don’t even think about getting another set. Once I started to feel comfortable and trust that these Srixons were the right clubs for me then my scores started getting lower

Great advice. I've got some new Srixon sticks coming an hope for same. This off season I am unloading extra clubs and I am just gonna gave 1 set. Time to dumb the variables and get comfortable as you said.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

5 years ago, When I was actually playing really well (for me) and I was in the +2 handicap range I was playing a set of mizuno mp68 irons. Sold those for AP2s and never have brought my game back. I went thru 8 sets of irons over the 3 years after I sold the Mizunos and finally settled on a set of Srixon z965s. I think those under par days are coming back, my birdies are going up as my proximity to the hole is going thru the roof and it's leading to confidence across my game.

My big advice to anyone who to score well, find something you are comfortable and confident with and stick with it and don't even think about getting another set. Once I started to feel comfortable and trust that these Srixons were the right clubs for me then my scores started getting lower

But how will we know when we reached our full potential Sensei?

Plus 4 handicap, use to play mini tour golf

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero, Hzrdus t1100 6.5

Callaway Rogue 3+, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Epic 2 and 4 Hybrid. KBS Proto 95S in 18, GD Tour AD DI 95x in 23 degree

Callaway Apex 4-7 Iron, PJX 6.0

Callaway X Forged 8-PW, PJX 6.0

Callaway MD4 Raw, 52, 56, 60X, DGTI S400

Toulon Madison 35'' or Odyssey 7s

I break par maybe 1 in 4 rounds and you can see my signature. Thinking of going to a more forgiving iron in the near future.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 100HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Fastback TFB-1.5 T22 Tour