2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Still Stunned After Getting Estimate From Club Champ Fitting

skyking

I've never had any experience with CC, nor do I know anything about how their business works. That said, it seems unlikely that OEM's would discount their heads to CC, as that would be discounting to a competitor. TM wants you to buy their club, with their shaft, their grip, from a recognized retail dealer. I would not be surprised if CC pays full dealer price for heads they sell, if they can buy stand alone heads. CC might get a volume discount from True Temper or other shaft manufacturer, but not on heads.

Does anyone know what CC is able to buy a head from an OEM for? The general assumption here is that CC is able to buy a head much cheaper than if someone went to GG and bought the whole club. If CC were to buy a head at GG and then had to pull the shaft in order to set it up to the customer's specs, then they'd have labor into the cost of the club on top of the purchase price. I just don't know for a fact that CC is able to purchase a head for much less than a whole club sells for at GG and elsewhere.

I suspect that CC doesn't get the deals some think it gets when buying from manufacturers. I also suspect that it charges more for components in order to keep the price of its fittings in-line.

I'll see if I can find out.

Manufacturers will not sell heads only, at least the major manufacturers.

Incorrect- they won’t sell it to a weekend warrior who glues clubs, but to a large fitter who does tour caliber builds they do!

Does anyone know what CC is able to buy a head from an OEM for? The general assumption here is that CC is able to buy a head much cheaper than if someone went to GG and bought the whole club. If CC were to buy a head at GG and then had to pull the shaft in order to set it up to the customer's specs, then they'd have labor into the cost of the club on top of the purchase price. I just don't know for a fact that CC is able to purchase a head for much less than a whole club sells for at GG and elsewhere.

I suspect that CC doesn't get the deals some think it gets when buying from manufacturers. I also suspect that it charges more for components in order to keep the price of its fittings in-line.

Im not sure it matters or if that even happens, given they charge you full retail for the club .

Which "it"?

That they buy the heads only or if they get a discount. Either way they charge you full retail as you would buy a complete set from Dick's, so any discount they may or may not get, they take as profit. Pulling an iron shaft takes all of 15 seconds so not much labor involved.

Don't the pro's have their clubs fit and built by the respective manufacturers? My last two sets of irons were Titleist and now Ping. Both were special ordered to my specs. Both companies have excellent quality control programs. I paid normal list price (no up-charge for my selected shafts or grips). In fairness I basically fit myself as as I tried many combinations at our clubs demo day. There was no charge for this. Both times I was happy with the results.

TM down in Carlsbad has several master builders down there that are in charge of specific TM guys, meaning they build the entire set for their assigned pro, and the pro only deals with that one specific clubmaker. This way, the quality control is better, and the builder knows the exact specs of the pro he's working with at all times. I toured the office and the labs, got to meet Kia Ma, see some top secret stuff (they're making custom batches of balls for Tiger with a different sized core than anything else made at the moment) and was thoroughly impressed with their facilities.

[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist TS2 10.5* [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]No 3 wood currently[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping G10 21* 7 wood[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Cobra Baffler XL 5H [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping i e1 irons 6-PW[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 54.14F 58.12K DG S200[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Seamus Snowtrooper Fescue Sunday Bag[/size][/color]

Im not sure it matters or if that even happens, given they charge you full retail for the club .

Which "it"?

That they buy the heads only or if they get a discount. Either way they charge you full retail as you would buy a complete set from Dick's, so any discount they may or may not get, they take as profit. Pulling an iron shaft takes all of 15 seconds so not much labor involved.

Read the responses, heads only. I’m shocked You can pull an iron set in 15 seconds? Wow what magic do you use? I’ve been building clubs for almost 20 years and to do a proper pull, clean, and prep for install it takes me much longer than that! And usually double the time if it’s graphite! Please share a video of your process, would love to know what I’m doing incorrectly. Always want to get more efficient.

Which "it"?

Nonsense. Id love to see you do that. Do you use a tactical nuke?

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Unless there is hotmelt involved, a quality build on a driver is gluing an adapter onto the shaft, trimming to length and installing a grip. Doesn't require a highly skilled club tech. Irons require that the three L's and SW are correct, that does take some fairly serious skill. I don't know what shaft pull only takes 15 secs, but I know it's not a Ping.

Which "it"?

Read the responses, heads only. I'm shocked You can pull an iron set in 15 seconds? Wow what magic do you use? I've been building clubs for almost 20 years and to do a proper pull, clean, and prep for install it takes me much longer than that! And usually double the time if it's graphite! Please share a video of your process, would love to know what I'm doing incorrectly. Always want to get more efficient.

I've read claims they get the heads only, if that is the case they should sell for less for much less than MSRP, which they simply don't.

To physically pull an iron shaft its fast, 15 seconds may be an exaggeration. But there is no vice needed, heat the hosel and pull it it off. I use a micro torch (learned that on here after years wasted messing with a heat gun) so no time is wasted heating up the whole head. Even then, lets be super conservative and call it a minute max, more padding to sip some refreshments, we can round up and call the whole process of pulling shafts 10 minutes for an iron set of 7 or 8. Obviously a graphite shaft is much different, but not at all relevant when building irons. Even if they bought the retail clubs and pulled them apart, they wouldn't start with a graphite shafted set, and if they did, they would toss the shafts anyway so no need to take your time not to damage it. Long story short, much less labor involved than what they are charging, especially if they are getting a discount by buying heads only

New shafts need to be prepped as well, its clear they build in that cost given they charge more than MSRP for the shafts they select. (almost double in my friends case). Brand new hosels also would need to be prepped, so not a big deal to clean out the epoxy (which technically wouldn't be there in the first place)

My friends latest set from last year

JPX900 Irons-$149.99 Each (my mistake, it looks like retail was $162, a nice $12 discount off retail)

KBS Tour 90 Shafts -$55 (MSRP of 29.95)

CP2 Grips-$11 (MSRP 7.99)

Purring-$30

$246/club, $269/each after tax. You can order the identical club sans the purring from Discount Dan's for ~$140, since in his case, the shafts and grips were stock offerings. Does the $100+ up charge per club warrant the purring and labor involved, well that is up to the individual, but in most cases I'm guessing the answer is no

Let's be honest, there is a TON of margin on the work they do. That is their business model and they aren't really shy about it. They sell a premium product at a premium price and only really appeal to a very specific subset of golfers, I don't see the need to sugar coat or defend it. With that being said, I plan to get fit by them this winter and then build the set myself.

Unless there is hotmelt involved, a quality build on a driver is gluing an adapter onto the shaft, trimming to length and installing a grip. Doesn't require a highly skilled club tech. Irons require that the three L's and SW are correct, that does take some fairly serious skill. I don't know what shaft pull only takes 15 secs, but I know it's not a Ping.

I'll be honest, I've never taken apart a ping club, so I can't speak on those, so more than happy to eat crow in that case. Callaway also uses a weird epoxy (and ferrules) that takes much longer to soften. All other OEM clubs I've encountered pull apart quickly if using a torch.