Flynn-Golf vs. USKids vs. Ping Thrive

In case anyone is still wondering about the difference between the irons.. the USKids TS and Flynn VT Max are the same overall weight. It seems that the VT Max has a slightly heavier and larger head than the TS (at least in the comparable 51" height set). Performance between the 2 is pretty similar. Pricing is similar (USKids slightly more expensive but they have a "6th club free" program which evens it out). It probably comes down to if you want to customize a lot (then Flynn Golf has more options) or prefer a simpler ordering process, the look of a thinner top line and probably a better resale value (then USkids). https://thejuniorgolfer.com/uskids-vs-vt-max-golf-clubs/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 8 year old son Gavin has been using the Flynn Irons and he loves them he has the series 2 irons. We have tried the US Kids but he liked the look of the flynn better and so did I. I can get so much more life out of the irons because I can put the clubs together myself so every year spend 100 bucks on shafts is better then every year have to buy a new set. And Mike is great he will answer any question with great information.

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD

Anyone with experience going from UL 48 to Flynn Series 1 to bridge the gap from UL 48 to Tour series 51? Weight wise it makes sense. My daughter will be out of UL 48's by late spring time and we tried the Tour series last week and they are way too heavy for her. Is Series 1 worth it?

UL 48--> Flynn Series 1 12g per head difference

UL 48---> Tour Series 51 20g per head difference

US Kids Customer service guy would only give me specs on 8 iron and PW for TS 51. 8 iron is 236g and PW is 248g. I feel like I obtained top secret info!

Anyone with experience going from UL 48 to Flynn Series 1 to bridge the gap from UL 48 to Tour series 51? Weight wise it makes sense. My daughter will be out of UL 48's by late spring time and we tried the Tour series last week and they are way too heavy for her. Is Series 1 worth it?

US Kids Customer service guy would only give me specs on 8 iron and PW for TS 51. 8 iron is 236g and PW is 248g. I feel like I obtained top secret info!

YES - we went through this. Son just turned 8. We made the jump from UL48 to TS3-51 around this time last year. When considering the next club I bought a single USKG TS 8i (Tour Series 2, not 3) and a Flynn 8 iron to test. I never got official weight specs from either, but In testing he didnt notice any substantial weight difference between the two and I couldnt see any signs of it in his swing. Both were certainly heavier than his UL48's. About that time they came out with the TS3's - Note that the TS3's are "15% lighter than adult heads" whereas the previous TS model 51" was "10% lighter"....so the transition is more gradual than it used to be. So we went with the USKG TS3-51's and have been happy. Yes, the weight difference did get some getting used to and I was a bit concerned at first. The transition took about a month - in the interim he wasnt able to get the ball up as high, etc., but after about a month he got the hang of them and proved to be a great fit. Maybe buy just a single 8 iron from the 51" set and give her a few weeks with it to see how she adjusts. I think, especially at the early ages, there is always going to be a noticeably adjustment period as they grow into the next(heavier) set. We are going through it right now with an OEM fairway wood I bought him and will also soon as he is almost ready for 54".

Here are the full specs they gave me:

1 Driver 190.00

3 Wood 200.00

3 Hybrid 210.00

4 Hybrid 216.00

4 iron NA

5 iron 228.00

6 iron 234.00

7 iron 240.00

8 iron 246.00

9 iron 252.00

Pitching Wedge 258.00

Gap Wedge 262.00

Sand Wedge 268.00

Lob Wedge 268.00

Putter 350.00

​my opinion Flynn tech not match up to the new ts3. TS3 launch higher with better spin and more distance. Those irons out perform flynn in every way. The article states same weight however the flynn will feel much head heavier I do agree with . My 8 year old daughter gained about 10 yards plus moving the same size flynn 2b to ts3. for what its worth.

I will add this about weight. Make sure you get it right and now just jump to jump. TS3 are very good sticks if the weight works for her and her swing speed.

We went from UL48 to TS51 (prior TS2 model) last August. He was just at 51" with golf shoes on when we changed. He chokes down some on the TS51. No issues. Hit great shots with them from day 1.

Only thing I would say is that when we were finishing out on the UL48's, I could tell that those clubs were too light and getting too short at the time. In other words, we didn't cutover early so that made the transition pretty seamless. All just my guesses...

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

In case anyone is still wondering about the difference between the irons.. the USKids TS and Flynn VT Max are the same overall weight. It seems that the VT Max has a slightly heavier and larger head than the TS (at least in the comparable 51" height set). Performance between the 2 is pretty similar. Pricing is similar (USKids slightly more expensive but they have a "6th club free" program which evens it out). It probably comes down to if you want to customize a lot (then Flynn Golf has more options) or prefer a simpler ordering process, the look of a thinner top line and probably a better resale value (then USkids). https://thejuniorgol...max-golf-clubs/

I'm surprised they didn't talk about the shaft flex. We found the US Kids TS to be much more flexy compared to the Flynn, (which probably is the main reason for the higher launch).

Also, please don't choose junior clubs based on hypothetical resale value. I regularly see US Kids irons for 10 bux in used bins.

In case anyone is still wondering about the difference between the irons.. the USKids TS and Flynn VT Max are the same overall weight. It seems that the VT Max has a slightly heavier and larger head than the TS (at least in the comparable 51" height set). Performance between the 2 is pretty similar. Pricing is similar (USKids slightly more expensive but they have a "6th club free" program which evens it out). It probably comes down to if you want to customize a lot (then Flynn Golf has more options) or prefer a simpler ordering process, the look of a thinner top line and probably a better resale value (then USkids). https://thejuniorgol...max-golf-clubs/

I'm surprised they didn't talk about the shaft flex. We found the US Kids TS to be much more flexy compared to the Flynn, (which probably is the main reason for the higher launch).

Also, please don't choose junior clubs based on hypothetical resale value. I regularly see US Kids irons for 10 bux in used bins.

The USKids TS size 57 (and longer) come with the option of graphite or steel shafts. The steel shafts are similar flex to the Flynn golf steel shafts - although Flynn does have more options. The USKids graphite will obviously be more flexible than any steel shafts. If you're looking at 51" size clubs then you only have the option of graphite with USKids - but I'd be surprised if Mike Flynn would recommend steel shaft for someone 51" tall - unless swing speed is really high?

Regarding resale, there seem to be plenty of used full USKids sets on ebay while not one Flynn Golf set - but maybe that's because Flynn Golf owners tend to reshaft their sets more rather than buy new sets. I've personally sold many USKids sets on ebay and have always got a pretty good price. I've always found it a little odd that there tend to be no/very few used Flynn Golf sets for sale. Of course that might change in future if they get more market share.

The USKids TS size 57 (and longer) come with the option of graphite or steel shafts. The steel shafts are similar flex to the Flynn golf steel shafts - although Flynn does have more options. The USKids graphite will obviously be more flexible than any steel shafts. If you're looking at 51" size clubs then you only have the option of graphite with USKids - but I'd be surprised if Mike Flynn would recommend steel shaft for someone 51" tall - unless swing speed is really high?

Regarding resale, there seem to be plenty of used full USKids sets on ebay while not one Flynn Golf set - but maybe that's because Flynn Golf owners tend to reshaft their sets more rather than buy new sets. I've personally sold many USKids sets on ebay and have always got a pretty good price. I've always found it a little odd that there tend to be no/very few used Flynn Golf sets for sale. Of course that might change in future if they get more market share.

I've sold two sets on Ebay on Flynn they are a bit harder to sell and basically gave one away just to get rid of it. I sold my daughters UL set for more than I got for a series 2/2b. USKG just does sell better. I personally think they are better irons as well.

Steel on the 51" I would doubt very few kids have the SS to really justify steel at that height. Most I talk to say around 75-80 with a driver before steel is needed or recommended.