*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

From the internet:

dominant-triangle.jpg

Extend both hands forward of your body and place the hands together making a small triangle (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 inch per side) between your thumbs and the first knuckle.

With both eyes open, look through the triangle and center something such as a doorknob in the triangle.

Close your left eye. If the object remains in view, you are right eye dominant. If closing your right eye keeps the object in view, you are left eye dominant.

For those of you who've been gaming a cs putter for a while....have you tried going back to a traditional heel shafted putter?

I went to PGA superstore recently to try some putters for fun and wow I couldn't hit any of them straight! Grabbed a cs off the rack and it just looked better and I rolled the putts better. Not sure if this is because the cs is right for me or if it just happened over time?

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

Are you aiming it where you think you're aiming it?

That's the test.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

For those of you who've been gaming a cs putter for a while....have you tried going back to a traditional heel shafted putter?

I went to PGA superstore recently to try some putters for fun and wow I couldn't hit any of them straight! Grabbed a cs off the rack and it just looked better and I rolled the putts better. Not sure if this is because the cs is right for me or if it just happened over time?

I picked up a limited SC 5MBS which is CS last year to help my putting. I read around here and online that if you putt SBST a CS putter will usually fit you well. It immediately helped my putting. Being a club ho I have tried going away from it a few times and its always a huge struggle. Saturday I played in a tournament with a Spider Tour to the tune of 40 putts. I mean I probably would have only had 39 with the CS, lol. But I do find I lose something when I go away from the CS putter. Its weird.

I picked up a limited SC 5MBS which is CS last year to help my putting. I read around here and online that if you putt SBST a CS putter will usually fit you well. It immediately helped my putting. Being a club ho I have tried going away from it a few times and its always a huge struggle. Saturday I played in a tournament with a Spider Tour to the tune of 40 putts. I mean I probably would have only had 39 with the CS, lol. But I do find I lose something when I go away from the CS putter. Its weird.

i have to say - this man has owned so many different putter types, brands, styles, etc...if he says the CS putter was a better fit for him, i believe it.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Relieved to hear I'm not the only one. Sorry to hear about your 40 putts! I owned a Spider Tour for a brief stint while I was transitioning into the CS and it was the sweetest looking yet worst performing putter for me ever. I know there are great reviews about it but for a more SBST stroke, it felt like a heavy swinging door. One that ALWAYS opened and closed! Does put a nice tight roll on the ball though.

I am not in love with my Cleveland HB #6c. But I am afraid I will have to commit to it until I can afford a CS that I really want. I have seen some sweet Bettinardi CS putters, saving up for one...

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

i have to say - this man has owned so many different putter types, brands, styles, etc...if he says the CS putter was a better fit for him, i believe it.

haha I think I've had a different putter each time we have played every time we have played

Relieved to hear I'm not the only one. Sorry to hear about your 40 putts! I owned a Spider Tour for a brief stint while I was transitioning into the CS and it was the sweetest looking yet worst performing putter for me ever. I know there are great reviews about it but for a more SBST stroke, it felt like a heavy swinging door. One that ALWAYS opened and closed! Does put a nice tight roll on the ball though.

I am not in love with my Cleveland HB #6c. But I am afraid I will have to commit to it until I can afford a CS that I really want. I have seen some sweet Bettinardi CS putters, saving up for one...

Biggest issue with the Spider for me is distance control and the feel or lack of feel.

Also, I have to love my putter and love how it looks or I stray very easily. The Scotty was stupid expensive but its badass looking.

• 7 months later...

To resurrect this thread...

I'm still not sure what the benefit of the centre shaft is. I use one, and I have other putters. Since other posts here have talked about left-eye dominance and offset, I was wondering if anyone could say how either is connected to the advantage. Is it placement?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• 6 months later...

> @dbleag said:

> FYI, this is from an older thread. I saved it for my general knowledge of center-shafted putters vs. others. I'm pretty sure the author posts on GolfWRX quite regularly.

>

>

>

>

>

> Here's a brief "center-shafted putter" theory by Putting Guru, Geoff Mangum:Center Shafted vs. Heel Shafted: Why should you use a center-shafted model ????

>

>

>

> The key word here is "tastes." A taste is a habit. The Chinese eat dog meat. Some folks in South America eat bug larvae. Some folks in southeast Asia eat **** brains. Historically, putters were usually heel-shafted, mostly because other clubs are heel-shafted and also because the Brits (R&A) banned center-shafted putters for about 50 years. The humorous thing is that center-shafted putters now have such success in the market, that even some designers who previously swore never to make a center-shafted putter have jumped on the bandwagon after abandoning all self-respect and principle. If you use a heel-shafted putter, the tool will teach you the "habit" of success with it, or else you will discard it. So if you keep the heel-shafted putter, its inherent physics has trained you into a habit. The habit consists partially of habitual patterns of perception and partially of patterns of movement and feelings. For example, a heel-shafted putter looks and feels a bit more like swinging a bat around your stance, with certain implications for how you perceive the stroke and ball impact, and how you expect things to look and feel in the movement. The instincts rely upon these habits.

>

>

>

> If you use a center-shafted putter, the tool will teach you the "habit" of success with it, or else you will discard it. A center-shafted putter swings more vertically up thru a ball, unlike a baseball-style swing with a heel-shafted putter sideways thru a ball. This implies a different set of visual and kinesthetic "habits" in using the center-shafted putter.

>

>

>

> You can use a heel-shafted putter with the same habits appropriate to a center-shafted putter if you add a trick or two, and vice versa. (Many if not most belly putters are center-shafted, yet swung around the stance more like a bat than a pendulum.) The bottom-line question is which is better, and what is required for you to unlearn inappropriate habits and to learn new, appropriate habits if you switch?

>

>

>

> In my view the center-shafted putter is better in general than heel-shafted putters, because heel-shafted putters have physics in them that promote action of the putter separate and apart from what the golfer is deliberately intending. In particular, the typical hoseling and balancing of a heel-shafted putter promotes so-called "toe flow." This is an EXTRA opening of the putter going back that may or may not be matched coming forward. The physics of "toe-flow" is the added inertia in the stroke of the toe about the axis of the hosel. This physics opens the toe going back, and tends to KEEP the toe open coming thru impact. This doesn't make a lot of sense.

>

>

>

> The golfer who gets trained by his heel-shafted putter has to learn how to manipulate the physics of the putter correctly. This obviously can be accomplished over time -- witness Ben Crenshaw. But why engage in a battle that is not compelled? Just don't get a heel-shafted putter. The center-shafted, face-balanced (or reality balanced) putter doesn't have these same tendencies from physics. Then the golfer's task in getting trained by the tool is a little easier and simpler.

>

>

>

> Heel-shafted putters are an historical accident that some people seek to justify with a bogus rationale. What the physics really does is make the putter designer an unwitting partner in every stroke: you do this and the designer adds that. I prefer to putt alone.

>

>

>

> So when you switch from heel-shafted to center-shafted, you get a slight unburdening, but you are temporarily stuck with old heel-shafted habits. It takes a while to learn the new "look and feel" of the center-shafted putter, and thus "acquire the taste" for the tool.

>

>

>

> A compromise is a putter with the actual hoseling towards the heel, but for which the shaft AIMS at the center. These putters are face balanced, and appear to be heel-shafted, but are really center-shafted with heel-hoseling. This would be a good transition putter, allowing you to ease into the tool's training of you without a lot of contrast with old habits.

>

>

>

> Keep your tastes -- just get rid of unhelpful physics.

This is a really fine post. I've used an Acushnet Bullseye exclusively since I bought it new in the pro shop at my home course in L.A. in 1965. My pro said I should abandon it for a more "forgiving" putter. I've been mulling this over for a few years and been doing a fair amount of research. I just bought a couple CS Odyssey White Hot putters off ebay (#2 and #5), and I'll have them in 2 days!

****I was a physics major, and the idea of a CS putter very much appeals to me and pretty much for the reasons explained so nicely in the post I quote here.** **