MEMBER REVIEWS: TPT Golf Shafts!! See What They Are Saying!!!

The .06% failure rate TPT is reporting can't possibly be accurate. Maybe it was a typo by MGS? Counting only the breaks I am personally aware of, they would have had to produce roughly 25,000 shafts in 2018 alone for that number to hold.

I don't believe it was a typo. I seem to remember Sinclair saying something similar when I was with him. I don't want to put words in Jon's (or anyone's mouth) but I was told a very small number of shafts were failing.

That's actually a big percentage of failures in manufacturing. Most manufacturing companies look for < .00034% failure rate so between 3 and 4 per million and TPT is at 6 per ten thousand if that number is correct.

This. Came in here to chime in as a...I'll say semi expert in six sigma and lean manufacturing principals (have green & black belt), .06% failure is pretty bad... but it's a catostrophic failure at that.

Would you buy a car that every 6 in 10,000 units made had a wheel fall off whilst highway driving, considering that specific car model had sold say 3 million units? I wouldn't want to risk being one of the 1800 cars on the road just waiting to crash in to oncoming traffic or whatever could result from a total failure.

Luckily breaking a golf shaft doesn't result in possible death, but it's pretty brutal if you spent $500 on the shaft and $400 on the head and you send you head flying down the fairway after snapping a shaft, possibly breaking the head... it could hurt somebody, etc.

The Jday swing count is just insane. I would not buy one of these until that issue was resolved.

Has anyone seen anything on social media about TPT's plans to fix these issues? Seems like it would be a great opportunity to invite the public into the company and allow us to see the how, when, what of making the shafts better and better.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Has anyone seen anything on social media about TPT's plans to fix these issues? Seems like it would be a great opportunity to invite the public into the company and allow us to see the how, when, what of making the shafts better and better.

Looks like they are logged in reading this thread right now.

Yes, the feedback of the GolfWRX Community is very important to us!

Two years ago, very few people were aware of TPT Golf and how we had adapted our parent company’s technology to golf shafts after its success in other high-performance industries. We know what we’ve achieved since is incredibly rare and comes with both notoriety and scrutiny. We embrace all of it.

Our company has never been more convinced of the merits of our patented shaft manufacturing technology. We believe that our automated, robot-driven process is the future of golf shaft manufacturing, and we say this because of the measurable improvement golfers across the world are seeing with our shafts.

It’s true that a small number of our shafts have broken over the last year. This issue has not been related to our technology, but rather our execution as we’ve scaled to meet growing demand. We know that any shaft breakage is unacceptable, and we’ve investigated each incident thoroughly. We’ll always keep evolving, improving, and responding with the necessary changes to improve our shafts just like we’ve done over the last two decades in other industries.

We also want our customers to know that we stand behind every golf shaft we make, and we will always replace a customer’s shaft should there ever be an issue.

Going forward, we’re going to continue to improve our current shaft lineup and bring innovation to new shaft categories. Our Authorized Fitters (retailers) are sticking with us because they know the power of our technology, and our products will be available to test on their walls.

In our experience, golfers will never turn their back on something that can help them save a few strokes. We promise to continue to deliver golf shafts that allow them to do exactly that.

Thank you all for your continued participation in this discussion.

The .06% failure rate TPT is reporting can't possibly be accurate. Maybe it was a typo by MGS? Counting only the breaks I am personally aware of, they would have had to produce roughly 25,000 shafts in 2018 alone for that number to hold.

I don't believe it was a typo. I seem to remember Sinclair saying something similar when I was with him. I don't want to put words in Jon's (or anyone's mouth) but I was told a very small number of shafts were failing.

That's actually a big percentage of failures in manufacturing. Most manufacturing companies look for < .00034% failure rate so between 3 and 4 per million and TPT is at 6 per ten thousand if that number is correct.

This. Came in here to chime in as a...I'll say semi expert in six sigma and lean manufacturing principals (have green & black belt), .06% failure is pretty bad... but it's a catostrophic failure at that.

Would you buy a car that every 6 in 10,000 units made had a wheel fall off whilst highway driving, considering that specific car model had sold say 3 million units? I wouldn't want to risk being one of the 1800 cars on the road just waiting to crash in to oncoming traffic or whatever could result from a total failure.

Luckily breaking a golf shaft doesn't result in possible death, but it's pretty brutal if you spent $500 on the shaft and $400 on the head and you send you head flying down the fairway after snapping a shaft, possibly breaking the head... it could hurt somebody, etc.

The Jday swing count is just insane. I would not buy one of these until that issue was resolved.

If it was clearly the best for my swing it wouldn't bother me knowing the company had my back on the customer service end. My question would be if the shaft failed a year or two down the line, what would the customer service be like in terms of addressing it? In my life, I have only ever had 1 shaft fail on me (stock R7ti 3 wood TM Shaft) and it was getting replaced anyways so I ultimately didn't care.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

^^^ After 2 years of use I really don't hold anyone too responsible for any issues I have. Then again most people on here rarely play the same equipment for 2 years.

Nice to see TPT staying in front of any issues. These forums can be a little unforgiving at times.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

Yes, the feedback of the GolfWRX Community is very important to us!

Two years ago, very few people were aware of TPT Golf and how we had adapted our parent company’s technology to golf shafts after its success in other high-performance industries. We know what we’ve achieved since is incredibly rare and comes with both notoriety and scrutiny. We embrace all of it.

Our company has never been more convinced of the merits of our patented shaft manufacturing technology. We believe that our automated, robot-driven process is the future of golf shaft manufacturing, and we say this because of the measurable improvement golfers across the world are seeing with our shafts.

It’s true that a small number of our shafts have broken over the last year. This issue has not been related to our technology, but rather our execution as we’ve scaled to meet growing demand. We know that any shaft breakage is unacceptable, and we’ve investigated each incident thoroughly. We’ll always keep evolving, improving, and responding with the necessary changes to improve our shafts just like we’ve done over the last two decades in other industries.

We also want our customers to know that we stand behind every golf shaft we make, and we will always replace a customer’s shaft should there ever be an issue.

Going forward, we’re going to continue to improve our current shaft lineup and bring innovation to new shaft categories. Our Authorized Fitters (retailers) are sticking with us because they know the power of our technology, and our products will be available to test on their walls.

In our experience, golfers will never turn their back on something that can help them save a few strokes. We promise to continue to deliver golf shafts that allow them to do exactly that.

Thank you all for your continued participation in this discussion.

This response, as well as the MSG response as it is mostly word for word copy, reads like a customer service bot.

Although, the offer to become part of the TPT internal testing program to evaluate prototypes that was extended to the MSG guys is notably missing...

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Well since both this thread, and MGS article bring up the same issues, it would make sense to have a similar response, no? I'd imagine that the WRX members that were selected here are part of that internal testing program, that didn't seem to have been previously extended to the MGS community. Some of the MGS employees had hit them, but I don't believe they were offered to members, as they were here.

What do you want the response to read like? They addressed why they're having issues, and that they're committed to getting it right. Only time will tell if they can fix their issues, but they've been pretty forward with everything going on, which you can't say about some companies when they run into issues.

I'm not intending to be a hater. Some people who's opinion I trust and value have had great things to say about the performance of the TPT. Even saying it's the best performing shaft they have ever played. It's really the only reason I'm sure I'll test one at some point next season.

As far as the TPT response post, I'll just leave it at this, it is not what I expected given the company's current predicament, the audience and the various reasons they have previously attributed to the breaks.

As you are one of the testers here, I'll be interested in your results and the durability of the 14.5 (proto?) you're getting given your speed to burn and the laundry list of shafts you have previously broken.

I truly believe that TPT will stand behind their product and replace any damaged shaft, but who is going to replace the driver head IF it's damaged due to the shaft breakage??

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

I truly believe that TPT will stand behind their product and replace any damaged shaft, but who is going to replace the driver head IF it's damaged due to the shaft breakage??

That's my concern.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 1 month later...

I have 30+ rounds in since switching to the proto. No issues so far. My feelings haven't changed. Even all bundled up in the cold weather, it continues to impress me.

I put the g400 Max in it recently. Jon liked this head for me more than I did during our fitting. He was probably right.

I have a playing partner who has seen what went down from the start. He's being fit for one. I think that says a lot about the performance.

I have 30+ rounds in since switching to the proto. No issues so far. My feelings haven't changed. Even all bundled up in the cold weather, it continues to impress me.

I put the g400 Max in it recently. Jon liked this head for me more than I did during our fitting. He was probably right.

I have a playing partner who has seen what went down from the start. He's being fit for one. I think that says a lot about the performance.

Glad to hear your TPT shaft is going well. Will be testing 14 protos this week.

I said it earlier but update on my end too, I think this is the shaft I needed. My 15 model has been out of the bag for many months now with my t1100 hzrdus 75 outperforming it in every way. The 15 launched too and spun too much, great combo for a massive distance loss. I tried putting the loft up a little and encountered huge spin with it, at standard loft (8.5) the t1100 launches higher than when I had it moved to 9.25 with the TPT and spins around 2200-2500 instead of 3200-3400. Shame but it was a fun experiment for a while!

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Nice update, swgolf. Thanks for sharing the info.

My 14.5 is still kicking some serious a**. I'm a happy man.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

what's the general consensus on these, are they low spinning or high spinning? I have seen both sides of the story and wondering if it is swing specific. Or different TPT models spin much differently?

Also, would you guys classify these as "anti-left" shafts?

There are some high swing testers in this thread and some less than high swing testers in this thread.

Consensus I'd say is for high speed players these shafts tend to be both stable and low spinning. That is most certainly the case for me.

I tried several different models and a couple of them just did not work for me. The 15 and the 14.5 work very well. Very.

Anti-left? Basically, yes. I can turn mine over and miss left but that's from a faulty swing -- not from overpowering the shaft.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I agree with Eric. There's several different models. Most of them didn't fit my swing. The 14's both worked very well for me. I liked one of the 15's very much.

I've always used low/low shafts and the spin is similar, maybe a touch higher with the TPT 15. The 14's a bit lower. Launch is about the same or slightly higher.

My miss is left. I can step on the 14 without worry. I can take a little off and still feel like I have the control I need.

For what it's worth, I was told the feedback TPT got from a lot of the players on tour testing them was it took left out.

I agree with Eric. There's several different models. Most of them didn't fit my swing. The 14's both worked very well for me. I liked one of the 15's very much.

I've always used low/low shafts and the spin is similar, maybe a touch higher with the TPT 15. The 14's a bit lower. Launch is about the same or slightly higher.

My miss is left. I can step on the 14 without worry. I can take a little off and still feel like I have the control I need.

For what it's worth, I was told the feedback TPT got from a lot of the players on tour testing them was it took left out.

Thanks for your's and Eric's feedback. If the shaft is truly anti-left (and it sounds like it from your previous posts), then it is worth $500.

I used to miss many left, but do to a recent swing change I hit a lot of straight balls and fades. But the other day on the range, when I was going hard at it with my driver, a lot of balls would still draw (some hard). So that sometimes can lead to huge slices on the course, when I subconsciously guard against going left on the downswing.

Going to Club Champion tomorrow, so I will definitely ask to hit the TPT shaft and see what happens.

What shaft resembles the same feel as the 14 series?

Which 14 series did you try? MKP? LT? Etc

Thanks for your feedback!

Mine is the 14.5 LKP LT

The 15 LKP LT is very similar. Only difference I'm aware of is the torque decreases as the model number decreases. So, in the end for me I did better with the 14.5 because the torque suits my swing better.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Thanks for your's and Eric's feedback. If the shaft is truly anti-left (and it sounds like it from your previous posts), then it is worth $500.

I used to miss many left, but do to a recent swing change I hit a lot of straight balls and fades. But the other day on the range, when I was going hard at it with my driver, a lot of balls would still draw (some hard). So that sometimes can lead to huge slices on the course, when I subconsciously guard against going left on the downswing.

Going to Club Champion tomorrow, so I will definitely ask to hit the TPT shaft and see what happens.

I'd have a hard time comparing them to other shafts. Just loads differently than anything I've tried. It's unique. I think you'll understand it when you try them tomorrow.

I have a good friend who tests all my stuff. He swings about 105, aggressive and high spin. He's also feel guy. He rarely likes or gets much out of the shafts I've done best with ( HZRDUS T1100, BLACK, Atmos Black, KK DC TX were my last four, all tipped 1") and the TPT and KK DC were the only two he liked the feel of and did well with.

The proto 14's (14.5 and 14) were interchangeable to me. I'm not sure if there are different versions of them, I only saw and tested one of each.

Did they say they'll have the 14's available for you?

I think the 15's and up will work for most. I know a smooth but fast swinger who plays the 16.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Sounds like the 14 series will be lower spin but still anti left like all the others.

Did you see any difference between MKP and LKP models? Was LT better for spin also?

Thanks again

To me it was just slight changes in the feel. The LKP LT just felt "right" for me. The feeling that I got was a very stable feeling shaft from the butt through the tip - that's what works for me.

Hard to answer that question because you are you. What works for you might not work for me and visa versa.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That Adams XTD was really underrated. TM is talking about checking all the faces on the M5 and M6 drivers now but Adams was doing that then w/ the XTD to make sure it each head was right at the limit. Of course this was also right after TM had purchased Adams and was letting them die on the vine. If you can get over the massive gash on the top then it's a bomber.

Did anyone receive a less stiff model like a 15 and inquire if they could try another? I really think it could be great for me where the 15 is not.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

• 4 weeks later...

Did I miss something? Why has so much of the content on this thread been removed?

Did I miss something? Why has so much of the content on this thread been removed?

I'd like to know as well. Seemed like we had some good discussion going.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Did anyone receive a less stiff model like a 15 and inquire if they could try another? I really think it could be great for me where the 15 is not.

I feel like I fall into this category as the 16 MKP doesn't work well for me at all on the course. 15 gave me similar numbers on TM so I just went with their recommendation. I felt like it would be a d1ck move to go back and try to do anything with it since it was part of the giveaway here.

I'd like to know as well. Seemed like we had some good discussion going.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black