Winter Golf Withdrawal Symptoms

platgof

I know how you feel. We get the occasional cold spell here in Orlando and I sometimes have to worry about whether I need to where long pants or if shorts are ok.

See, once the sun comes up, long pants can get too hot. But shorts can be too cold if the wind is blowing.

And don't even get me started on whether to put on the full sleeve pullover or the half sleeve.

Winter sucks!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idiots from Florida chiming in, in 3....2.....1.....

California says "hello" too!

Here is a chime from Arizona. Only in the 60's all week. Brrrrrrr!

I watch YT vlogs of guys in UK playing when it's in the 30's (F), rain, sleet, snow, 5 layers of clothes and playing some pretty good golf. Get's in the 40's and I can't swing, ball goes nowhere, feels like a rock. I don't know how they do it. I don't mind the cold (I was a ski bum for 6 years), I just can't play (well) in those conditions.

In my case it's not a problem. I can't play well in any conditions :)

California says “hello” too!

I should start a b!tch session thread about how the cost of golf goes up this time of year because of people getting away from the snow.

Does winter golf cost more in CA? Or is everything so damned expensive out there that it doesn't matter?

It's supposed to be 31 here on Saturday and I'm thinking a quick 18 is more than possible.

It had been a long day by noon today. I saw the sun had peeked out, looked at the phone, it said it was above freezing (not much, but a little), the trees weren’t moving much........

Told my sales guy I’m leaving for a bit, grabbed the clubs and headed to the course (had to pay my bill anyway, so I had to go), ......forgot that we had snow the other day and it hadn’t all melted. Just enough on the ground to make it unplayable. So much for that

Work on flexibility and core fitness. Read about other sports. Take an evening class. Develop an interest in real ale. Talk to your family (desperate I know...)...

Let's not get crazy, it's still only December.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Even here in South Carolina the weather is taking its toll on golf days. I gave up my club junkie addiction and used the $$$$$ to get a launch monitor and am building a sim in my garage. Hope to have it finished by end of Dec. Plan on using both practice range and golf sim courses. I figure I will still use it in the summer for range work. I hate going to the range when its 95 & humid. I got a portable unit so I can also lug it to range.

Ping G410+ 10.5
Ping G400SFT 3W, 5W 7W
Mavrik 6-GW
Cleveland CBX 52, Titliest SM8 57
Odyssey DoubleWide F LStrokelab

Been doing the fitness thing for 60 days

Did sim today ... now I really have the itch

Head to Florida in 13 days

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I’ve lost a bit of my ‘mojo’ this fall and am looking forward to a break from the game.

I’ll recharge the batteries for my simulated round Saturday morning.

Last week I shot 7 under at the Memorial and jarred a shot from 123 yards. Delusional golf for the next 5 months is just what the mojo doctor ordered.

Not to mention the NCW set of irons that I’m waiting on. I see a build with cool shafts, ferrules and girls in my future.

Time to heal the body and repair the psyche.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I should start a b!tch session thread about how the cost of golf goes up this time of year because of people getting away from the snow.

Does winter golf cost more in CA? Or is everything so damned expensive out there that it doesn't matter?

It’s costs about the same except there still less time to play due to twilight starting sooner. I’m in the Bay Area though, I think it might be slightly different in Southern California

While it is frustrating not playing there is an upside at my age. Rest will help all the little golf injuries incurred over the past 6 months. Left hip sore, left hand hurts with most swings, back is tired. Repetitive motion injuries that hopefully will improve with a few months off.

I'm too addicted to golf to stop playing on my volition, so I need the weather to make me stop. I use the 3 months of non-golf season to rest and work on getting back in shape for the coming season, as well as let the wife and daughter know that I still exist.

I'm usually ok, until I get a text from my FIL at his course in Florida rubbing it in. He's a member at an absolutely fantastic course (Old Marsh) in Palm Beach, which makes it even worse.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

This month is the worst because the days are short. By the time I'm out of work, the sun's halfway down and I can't even get out to hit chips.

For me, it's excessive regripping, spending money on eBay, and drinking too many martinis to cope.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

California says "hello" too!

Here is a chime from Arizona. Only in the 60's all week. Brrrrrrr!

I watch YT vlogs of guys in UK playing when it's in the 30's (F), rain, sleet, snow, 5 layers of clothes and playing some pretty good golf. Get's in the 40's and I can't swing, ball goes nowhere, feels like a rock. I don't know how they do it. I don't mind the cold (I was a ski bum for 6 years), I just can't play (well) in those conditions.

In my case it's not a problem. I can't play well in any conditions :)

I have a strong track record of cocking things up in warm, calm conditions because I'm so unaccustomed to them.

It's supposed to be 31 here on Saturday and I'm thinking a quick 18 is more than possible.

It had been a long day by noon today. I saw the sun had peeked out, looked at the phone, it said it was above freezing (not much, but a little), the trees weren’t moving much........

Told my sales guy I’m leaving for a bit, grabbed the clubs and headed to the course (had to pay my bill anyway, so I had to go), ......forgot that we had snow the other day and it hadn’t all melted. Just enough on the ground to make it unplayable. So much for that��

We had snow 2 days after Thanksgiving and then last weekend rain that melted about 95% of the snow. The temps have been pretty low so the fairways and greens will be really firm. I'm thinking frozen fairways give me the chance to be GolfWRX long with the ball just rolling forever.

It’s costs about the same except there still less time to play due to twilight starting sooner. I’m in the Bay Area though, I think it might be slightly different in Southern California

Nothing changes in So Cal all year. Still jam packed freeways to get to the jammed pack courses.

Told my sales guy I’m leaving for a bit, grabbed the clubs and headed to the course (had to pay my bill anyway, so I had to go), ......forgot that we had snow the other day and it hadn’t all melted. Just enough on the ground to make it unplayable. So much for that��

We had snow 2 days after Thanksgiving and then last weekend rain that melted about 95% of the snow. The temps have been pretty low so the fairways and greens will be really firm. I'm thinking frozen fairways give me the chance to be GolfWRX long with the ball just rolling forever.

My longest drive happened in summer a few years ago. Baked hard fairway on the 9th at Rye Hill. I think when the ball actually came to a rest it was 320 yards from the tee. Probably 50% roll knowing my drives back then. >60% fairway accuracy but rarely went more than 170 yards :)

I was hoping I'd break that record this year actually with our long, hot, dry summer but my driving was lousy. Didn't really recover until the weather had broken :(

Yeah, but then VNutz will be WRX++ long!

Damn, wouldn't think someone in Tennessee would be having those issues! Haha we've played every weekend for the last 6 weeks straight except 2 weeks ago we couldn't get out. Luckily snows been coming down during the week and melting off by weekend... its still cold and a bit wet but has been nice extending the season. Hoping to travel down south over the winter to play if I can arrange it. Aside from that gonna be renting the sim at golf town a bunch over the winter to keep things working haha

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Our friend VNutz is suffering from a bad case of Seasonal Affective Disorder and with temps in the low 30's only someone stupid committed would be playing.

Our friend VNutz is suffering from a bad case of Seasonal Affective Disorder and with temps in the low 30's only someone stupid committed would be playing.

Apparently then, I am very.......”committed”!