Anyone Care About Web.com Q School?

jholz

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clearly not the contest it once was, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Q School.

Living in East-Central Alabama, I was able to watch Pre-Qualifying and First and Second Stages a number of years in a row. Always interesting.

So, anyone else following the action? Anyone know anybody in the field?

As an Auburn alum, I will be pulling for Blayne Barber. War Eagle!

I know Scottie Scheffler and Paul Haley well.....most people know Scottie from UT Golf and US Open low am two years ago. Paul is a great player as well

Scottie and I were paired together in US Kids championship years ago. Like 100 degrees out and he’s the only wearing pants. My dad asked his why and he said if he wants to be a pro he needs to learn. We were like 8 years old

Also....im tracking just about every player who makes it through as I'm looking to caddie at the first two events of the season in the Bahamas (and hopefully more events if I find bag). Once final stage is over I'm just hitting up every player I can find on social media to see who needs a loop

Wow! Interesting.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

It's clearly not the contest it once was, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Q School.

Living in East-Central Alabama, I was able to watch Pre-Qualifying and First and Second Stages a number of years in a row. Always interesting.

I know Scottie Scheffler and Paul Haley well.....most people know Scottie from UT Golf and US Open low am two years ago. Paul is a great player as well

Scottie and I were paired together in US Kids championship years ago. Like 100 degrees out and he's the only wearing pants. My dad asked his why and he said if he wants to be a pro he needs to learn. We were like 8 years old

Thats hilarious. Some people just take it one notch more seriously.

or
or

Blayne Barber always sounded like a pro wrestler to me...

Anyway I’ll be interested to see how Min Woo Lee goes. Brother of Minjee Lee, still an amateur and an absolute bomber (although you wouldn’t know by looking at him)

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

Scottie and I were paired together in US Kids championship years ago. Like 100 degrees out and he's the only wearing pants. My dad asked his why and he said if he wants to be a pro he needs to learn. We were like 8 years old

That was around the age I met Scottie. He had just joined Royal Oaks in Dallas and I was working there the summer I graduated HS, he was kind of like a little brother.

We played golf together a lot that summer and everyone could tell at his age that he was something special. I havent talked to him in years so I'm hoping to run into him at some point this year. It was crazy to see him on a sponsor exemption at the Byron Nelson in 2014, and finishing so well. Really hope he does well on the web this year and earns his PGA card

Also....im tracking just about every player who makes it through as I'm looking to caddie at the first two events of the season in the Bahamas (and hopefully more events if I find bag). Once final stage is over I'm just hitting up every player I can find on social media to see who needs a loop

Wow! Interesting.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Will do!

Bit of a crap shoot at the moment

Yes, have been following all along and will definitely be tracking the results this weekend.

I certainly wish they made the whole process easier to follow!

or
or

Yes, have been following all along and will definitely be tracking the results this weekend.

Yeah, the one feature I'd love to see is being able to find/search for a specific player, instead of having to go to each site and search the results/tee times. Same thing for the US Open or US Am qualifying.

Yeah, the one feature I'd love to see is being able to find/search for a specific player, instead of having to go to each site and search the results/tee times. Same thing for the US Open or US Am qualifying.

Exactly!

or
or

Says who?

Says who?

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I get the point. It's not for a real card any more. It just gets you the chance to scrap it out against the hungriest 125 guys on the planet. I SO wish they would raise the purses for web and show more tv coverage. I think they should go to a Saturday start and finish on Tuesday.

Says who?

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I get the point. It's not for a real card any more. It just gets you the chance to scrap it out against the hungriest 125 guys on the planet. I SO wish they would raise the purses for web and show more tv coverage. I think they should go to a Saturday start and finish on Tuesday.

I'm not trying to diminish anything - especially for anyone playing. It's still as tough or tougher in terms of the competition. There is still a season of golf on the line.

Yet it isn't the big tour, and I think because of that the whole culture surrounding Q School changed.

I think that makes coverage harder to market and sell. I would also argue that the pga has actively tried to diminish interest rather build it and I find that disppointing.

I love Q School and wish it got the interest it deserves.

or
or

I have to agree with jholz somewhat. When they used to televise the final round you could feel or sense the pressure even watching on TV. It felt like Sunday of a major type pressure.

Still pressure packed no doubt, but just different than when playing for a card on the big tour.

I’ll watch or follow, but really don’t even see many familiar names this year.

Is it being televised at all? Should be.....

That's a good question to which I do not know the answer. I follow here:

https://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq/schedulebg/index.htm

or
or

I'll be following Greg Yates. Had a couple classes with him at Texas A&M.

He finished 2nd in our Club Championship this year...or maybe that was another Greg Yates...

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I have to agree with jholz somewhat. When they used to televise the final round you could feel or sense the pressure even watching on TV. It felt like Sunday of a major type pressure.

Still pressure packed no doubt, but just different than when playing for a card on the big tour.

I guess it's because I also follow college golf, but I see a bunch of names that I recognize.

There's still some good drama on TV when they are showing the last web.com event prior to the finals and then the finals themselves. Probably not quite the same as previously, but still some shots that are tough to watch when someone has to get up and down or make a putt to just have a chance to get that card.

I guess it's because I also follow college golf, but I see a bunch of names that I recognize.

There's still some good drama on TV when they are showing the last web.com event prior to the finals and then the finals themselves. Probably not quite the same as previously, but still some shots that are tough to watch when someone has to get up and down or make a putt to just have a chance to get that card.

That’s true. Still plenty of drama.

I have heard several of the names, probably many from the college golf coverage like you said. I guess when I said familiar I meant more the kids who have played in our proam or are from the area (I use area in a very broad sense).

Q School's significance was transferred to the Web.com money list/finals, that's for sure. Just doesn't hold the potential for the Cinderella drama of Q School past.

or
or

Q School's significance was transferred to the Web.com money list/finals, that's for sure. Just doesn't hold the potential for the Cinderella drama of Q School past.

I agree. I think because now they’re not playing for a spot on the top stage. When they finished top 25 and got THE card, they had arrived (at least for one year). It’s close now, but still not quite the same. There is still one more step to go.

I agree. I think because now they’re not playing for a spot on the top stage. When they finished top 25 and got THE card, they had arrived (at least for one year). It’s close now, but still not quite the same. There is still one more step to go.

No doubt the less attractive payoff diminishes it. So do we think this has been good for the game? Seems like it's definitely made the guys who get to the PGA tour from web.com more "ready" to do well on the big tour. Wonder what the data would say about the longevity of guys keeping their cards coming from web.com vs the old q-school path?

No doubt the less attractive payoff diminishes it. So do we think this has been good for the game? Seems like it's definitely made the guys who get to the PGA tour from web.com more "ready" to do well on the big tour. Wonder what the data would say about the longevity of guys keeping their cards coming from web.com vs the old q-school path?

Purely from a non statistical standpoint (as in I’ve never looked at the numbers) it certainly makes sense the guys who come through the web season would be more ready. I’m guessing there are now a lot less “one and done” type players, but again, purely speculation on my part.