2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

KBS Tour V reviews?

Cpr3584

Just got a great deal on Ebay for a set of 12 KBS tour V stiff flex shafts for $50 (with grips). I am reading that these are only 110 grams. I have used S300 and X100 shafts my whole life (130g). I decided on moving to KBS for better feel and dispersion. I am worried that I am going to balloon these straight up in the air after I install them because i have a pretty fast swing (115mph with driver). If anyone has used True Temper 130g shafts and moved to 110gram, can you provide some feedback on these? thanks!

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

I’ll be interested in how they fit you. I use this shaft and like it but my ss is only 90. Hard to imagine they could work for both of us! (They don’t balloon for me)

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Do not waste your time with 110’s. Too soft for your speed.

I play 120x and I love them but I am at 110 mph with a driver.

The 110 stiff will play softer than an S300.

The 120x do not “balloon”. They are a mid flight low spin shaft that gets up quickly and plateaus nicely.

There are also “tour spec” 125 or 130 gram versions for faster swingspeeds. Mickelson uses that one.

thanks for the responses. I dont think the lighter weight will make them too soft, im worried about my tempo with them. I will certainly get them up to D2-D3 swingweight to help keep a somewhat penetrating flight. i already bought them because it was too good of a deal to pass up

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

any comparison of the KBS Tour V TOUR SPEC X vs. the C Taper 130X in WEDGES? I am in a spot where I am looking to lower flight (more boring) and possibly bring spin down a bit as I spin the ball like crazy which probably adds to the ballooning of shots. 54 is typically a full to 3/4 swing.

Heard things that the CTaper can be overly harsh in wedges, so the Tour V Tour Spec has sparked my interest....

any opinions experiences etc helps!

I have a set of Tour V 125 S+ getting pulled as I speak. They launch the ball outrageously high for me, and they felt a bit too soft. I was losing a good 15-20 yards. Had a similar experience with the Modus 130 stiff, but I read on here that the KBS launched the ball lower despite being a very similar bend profile. That was a mistake on my part...wasn’t a good fit for me. I tend to get my best results out of ctaper s+ or project x 6.5.

any comparison of the KBS Tour V TOUR SPEC X vs. the C Taper 130X in WEDGES? I am in a spot where I am looking to lower flight (more boring) and possibly bring spin down a bit as I spin the ball like crazy which probably adds to the ballooning of shots. 54 is typically a full to 3/4 swing.

Heard things that the CTaper can be overly harsh in wedges, so the Tour V Tour Spec has sparked my interest....

any opinions experiences etc helps!

What do you play in your irons? Do you have fast aggressive transition with your wedges?

If you play lots of partial shots with your wedges I find the c taper just feels kind of hollow and just overly stiff.

If your looking to knock down height and a touch of spin the 610 wedge would be best I would think.

I've tried the tour v in wedges and play them in my irons and PW but found it didn't effect height a whole lot. Nice solid feel though and a little tighter than the reg kbs tour IMO.

smooth tempo with a solid efficient release through the ball. Currently play i110X steelfibers (i125X in wedges). 54d is full and partial say 3/4 swings. 59 is everything full, punch, chipping, bunkers, 3/4 etc...

I heard the 610 was based on the tour V profile and helps w spin....CTaper is too much for wedges them and despite the low low profile wont assist in lowering trajectory...

I have a set of Tour V 125 S+ getting pulled as I speak. They launch the ball outrageously high for me, and they felt a bit too soft. I was losing a good 15-20 yards. Had a similar experience with the Modus 130 stiff, but I read on here that the KBS launched the ball lower despite being a very similar bend profile. That was a mistake on my part...wasn’t a good fit for me. I tend to get my best results out of ctaper s+ or project x 6.5.

Losing 15-20 yards?? LOL! Come on now.

• Like 1

smooth tempo with a solid efficient release through the ball. Currently play i110X steelfibers (i125X in wedges). 54d is full and partial say 3/4 swings. 59 is everything full, punch, chipping, bunkers, 3/4 etc...

I heard the 610 was based on the tour V profile and helps w spin....CTaper is too much for wedges them and despite the low low profile wont assist in lowering trajectory...

610 is specifically for penetrating flight and mid spin. Good old S400 or X100 is always a safe bet.

610 is specifically for penetrating flight and mid spin. Good old S400 or X100 is always a safe bet.

And Kim Braly openly states that there are 25% of golfers who will hit this shaft, 610, the exact opposite (high and spinny in this instance) of its design intention.

Personally there are not many shafts I hit higher then Dynamic Golds. Only recently have I come to understand that this happens quite frequently.

The only way to find out what works for you is test the shaft. So build a couple and see what happens. Maybe the 110g weight will work, maybe it won't. Have to try it to find out!

Haha...I was angry when I wrote it. ...maybe 10 yards. :D

But seriously, it is a very unique profile that I think you really need to be fit to. If not, you'll lose consistency and either struggle to load the stiff mid section or lose height control due to the soft tip.

• Like 1

went for DG S300, after failed experiment with PX, love the Tour V. In TX wind it flies high but doesn't balloon.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

But seriously, it is a very unique profile that I think you really need to be fit to. If not, you'll lose consistency and either struggle to load the stiff mid section or lose height control due to the soft tip.

Hummm. I’m not sure where you read the specs on it. It’s firm tip, medium mid, stiff butt.

It’s specifically designed to launch a hair higher than the Tour but spin much less and plateau quicker. They flatten out and bore through the wind. It’s peak height should be LESS than the Tour but higher than the C Taper of course. Spin is Waaaay less than the Tour but It Approaches the C Taper for me.

Personally, I’m longer and more accurate with the 120x than any steel shaft I’ve ever tested. I stumbled onto it by chance because they were stock in the Hogan PTx I bought. I fully expected to pull them but they were shockingly good for me.

Better for me than C taper S+

Tour S+

X100

PX 6.0 or 6.5

LZ 6.5

Modus 130,120,125,105

Yep. I’ve owned and Played all of them. Tour V is best for me. As rybo pointed out, sometimes you just have to try them to know. I never expected a mid flight shaft to work so well for me. I saw the video rybo is talking about where Braly says that some shafts simply don’t behave as you’d expect for some people. A certain percentage just don’t get the expected results.

Just as a point of comparison, of all those shafts I listed that I’ve tested over the last 3 years, I liked the feel and flight of the Modus 125 the most except they spun too much. Far more than Tour V. They just dropped out of the sky in the slightest head wind.

Hummm. I’m not sure where you read the specs on it. It’s firm tip, medium mid, stiff butt.

It’s specifically designed to launch a hair higher than the Tour but spin much less and plateau quicker. They flatten out and bore through the wind. It’s peak height should be LESS than the Tour but higher than the C Taper of course. Spin is Waaaay less than the Tour but It Approaches the C Taper for me.

Going off of an EI profile graph...

Comparsion-Ei.png

Going off of an EI profile graph...

Curious. Guess we’ll have to have a talk with Kim, because that’s not how he designed them or describes them.

Of course there’s one other huge issue here. The Tour V stiff 110 is not exactly a fair comparison to the Tour stiff of Ctaper stiff.

The Tour V shaft in stiff is 110 grams and has thinner walls. It doesn’t play as stiff as the other two and the other two are at 120 grams. There is no apples to apples here, but I’d like to see the 120x or the 125 tour spec graphed instead. Of course that would skew things the other direction to the stiffer side.

Curious. Guess we'll have to have a talk with Kim, because that's not how he designed them or describes them.

Of course there's one other huge issue here. The Tour V stiff 110 is not exactly a fair comparison to the Tour stiff of Ctaper stiff.

The Tour V shaft in stiff is 110 grams and has thinner walls. It doesn't play as stiff as the other two and the other two are at 120 grams. There is no apples to apples here, but I'd like to see the 120x or the 125 tour spec graphed instead. Of course that would skew things the other direction to the stiffer side.

Check out golfshaftreviews.info for the full read. It is on page 2 of the KBS reviews.

At any rate, shafts are very user dependent and there are some that just won't work for people. I get my best results from C-Taper and Project X. The KBS Tour V shafts feel good, but there is definitely some softness in the tip area that I think throws me off. I had similar issues with the Nippon Modus 130s. Honestly, I'm going back to project x, because while I get excellent results from the c taper, project x gives me a better combination of performance, feel, and less hand/wrist pain. The marginal gains up to C taper aren't worth it, but I personally lose a lot of distance with the Tour V that doesn't justify sticking with them for the improved feel.